• Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    women with tattoos = Brilliant!

Sweet/smart man!
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    i'm unsure. i think sleeves are ~ghetto~ on girls.

(is "ghetto" still pc? or should i say "white trash"?)

I don't mind using the word ghetto in my song lyrics, but it really is an offensive word. Of course I will deny that I said this because it would ruin my street cred!
  • Monkina
    Monkina Posts: 7
    Options
    The stigma still exists. It's faded, but it's there. Body modification of all kinds still get unconscious reactions from many people. Even the people who say "I don't judge people by their looks." When my hair was Elmo-red, I had a lot of people seem surprised that I was intelligent, well-spoken, and good at my job. Once they got past it, everything was fine. I love well-done tattoos, and will comment on them if the opportunity arises. To me, they're like jewelry you don't take off. I've seen probably only one woman really rock a sleeve, but you might be the second. ;) I have no tattoos because I know I'm too fickle to choose something that I'll still like in 20 years. (It was hard enough to choose my wedding set!) If YOU like it and it means something to you, do it. I have several friends who have tats to match someone special in their lives. On a few of them, it's a lovely reminder of a person who's now passed.

Oh, and on the wedding dress example: You can either plan your dress around your tattoos (cover ugly ones, flatter good ones) or you can look bad. Your dress should fit you in all ways, including playing up your good features and down your bad ones. I wouldn't wear a dress the wrong size or one that fit oddly. I would also plan my wedding dress around any tattoos, birthmarks, scars, etc.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I would love to get a tattoo, I love full sleeves but I won't get one. I just admire them from afar. :-)
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If I were 20 years younger and had unlimited funds, I'd get a sick sleeve. I agree - done tastefully, they can be beautiful & even hot.
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not fond of full sleeves whether man or woman. To each their own. I love back tattoos and have a couple myself. I have a picture in my head of the beautiful garden I want pictured on my back, but I probably will never get it done. I'll just carry it with me in my mind.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If I were 20 years younger and had unlimited funds, I'd get a sick sleeve. I agree - done tastefully, they can be beautiful & even hot.

This just begs the question - why 20 years younger? If you were and you got one, you would still have it now (20 hypothetical years later) at your current age. ???
  • Little_minx_76
    Options
    I love tattoos x
  • LaurieMaynard
    LaurieMaynard Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, 43 this July, and I just started getting my first tattoos two years ago. I am currently in process of completing a half sleeve. I am going to try to post a pic, but it's my first time doing that so we'll see how that goes. To the lady who stated "if she was 20 years younger" I have to also ask, why?? I'm happy I waited. I have wanted tattoos since I was 18 years old and waited until I knew exactly what I wanted! I am very happy I didn't have some temporary feeling permanently inked in and I am even more thankful that I found an amazing artist.

7096428539_cee46030d7.jpg
  • LaurieMaynard
    Options
    Here is the back side of my arm. You can see I still have quite a bit of work to go.

7096429153_06e08cd2d5.jpg
  • LaurieMaynard
    Options
    and the inside of my arm:

7096429259_2347b9185f.jpg
  • LaurieMaynard
    Options
    Here is the first tattoo I had done in 2010:

7096429197_76ce8271be.jpg

Tattoos aren't for everyone, but I have many, many people walk up to me and comment on how beautiful they think my art is and they always start out with "I'm not a tattoo person, but..." Ha! ha!! And those who don't like them? Well, they typically don't say anything!! :happy:
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    and the inside of my arm:

7096429259_2347b9185f.jpg

love the artwork! Finding the right tattoo artist is vital.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My sons and my daughter-in-law have a few, but I never wanted one. I'm 54 for one thing and I'm all about matching my outfits . I'd drive myself crazy trying not to clash my fashion choices with a tattoo.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I love my tattoo! I love dresses that show it off. It hurt, and it represents learning which is something I hold very dear. :)
  • Symphonic_Silence
    Options
    I love tattoos - men, women...whoever! Sleeves, single pieces, whatever. Like someone else said: "good art is good art".

I have 13 tattoos; my largest goes across my shoulders, about a quarter way down my back and down my left arm. It's not a full sleeve yet, but it will be :happy:
    Most of mine were designed by both myself and the tattooist so that they are 100% personal and individual to ME and my reasons for having them done.
    The ones that were not designed by myself still have meaning - the Eye of Horus for protection, the Capricorn sign, Earth sign and planetary symbol are all personal to me and my beliefs.

I had a strapless wedding dress and looked pretty freakin' awesome in it with my arm tattoo on full show.
    My hubby works for local government and has a fair few tattoos on his arms - he's never once been asked to cover them and he's never been told that it affects his position or any future position he may have.

All of my tattoos tell a story. And none of them were borne out of any kind of insecurity or emotional baggage :wink: :laugh:
  • LaurieMaynard
    Options
    My sons and my daughter-in-law have a few, but I never wanted one. I'm 54 for one thing and I'm all about matching my outfits . I'd drive myself crazy trying not to clash my fashion choices with a tattoo.

Ha!! ha!! I love this!!! Thankfully I have lots of colors in my tattoos so I never seem to have a problem matching :happy:
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I have five :bigsmile:
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Well done and well placed tattoos on women are absolutely sexy!