He Called me Stupid..is it Emotional abuse?

Options

Replies

• kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    Options
  • dawnschrecengost66
    dawnschrecengost66 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Get Out, Get Away, and Move forward. Life is short, now is the time to decide what your future will be, and make it happen.

You deserve happiness, you deserve a person who cherishes you, and respects your differences of opinion, and is enthralled by your thought processes.

Not a jack as that is berating, belittling, disrespecting and abusing you !!

I wish you luck !!!!!
  • Margentine
    Margentine Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    OP if you are still reading, get the book " why does he do that" by lundy bancroft. it's all about abusive men.

there is a whole section on all of the varieties of abusive men. they don't all act, sound or look the same.

it's extremely eye opening and i think will help you see that you are indeed in an abusive relationship. that he gets off on hurting you and trying to make you crazy. and that he won't stop.

Thank you , My MFPF have recommended it . I will look for it. thanks again
  • Margentine
    Options
    I know this is a heavy response to a forum topic, but I just want to hug you. You deserve better. It doesn't matter if he says he's joking or not. It's just not funny and he seems to be taking every opportunity to belittle you to make himself feel like a big deal. You are strong enough to be alone and SO better off without him. Please get out of there. The longer you stay, the harder it is to leave. Especially because he will most likely try to argue you into staying and make you feel bad for leaving. Don't fall for that crap. I'm praying for you!

Ditto! I've been thinking about you all day. I hope that all of the encouragement to have a healthy relationship along with your healthy body is giving you strength and clarity. I will pray for you. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Thank you for your prayers, I myself need to have sometime with the allmighty for He knew I would get into this mess ..but he has the answer and power to heal me . thanks ..and hug :)
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have three sisters and 2 daughters! With that said it would be a cold day in hell before I would stand by and watch a boy (not a man because only a boy treats a woman like that )treat my loved ones this way! He is a douche bag and likes the sound of his own voice! Yes 100% Yes leave his @$$! Trust me there are hundreds of men that would line up to be with you! I dont even know you and I would say this is true! You are worth so much more! Even though Canada is America Light I'm sure it is better than Douche Bag Land where your BF lives! Go be free like a butterfly!!!!:wink:
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I know this is a heavy response to a forum topic, but I just want to hug you. You deserve better. It doesn't matter if he says he's joking or not. It's just not funny and he seems to be taking every opportunity to belittle you to make himself feel like a big deal. You are strong enough to be alone and SO better off without him. Please get out of there. The longer you stay, the harder it is to leave. Especially because he will most likely try to argue you into staying and make you feel bad for leaving. Don't fall for that crap. I'm praying for you!

^The best response on this thread.

Seriously, you put it perfectly. No judging, no rudeness, just love, kindness and understanding.

It especially touches my heart, knowing that a lot of the ways my ex treated me was abusive.

On both OP's half and mine, thank you <3
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    good luck! if you want to someone that's 'been there done that' feel free to message me or friend me here. i got out and he still harasses me. but, after reading that book and working with a domestic violence counselor for a year, i deal with it much differently now and it doesn't get to me anymore. i can ignore it, even when it's IN MY FACE!

OP if you are still reading, get the book " why does he do that" by lundy bancroft. it's all about abusive men.

there is a whole section on all of the varieties of abusive men. they don't all act, sound or look the same.

it's extremely eye opening and i think will help you see that you are indeed in an abusive relationship. that he gets off on hurting you and trying to make you crazy. and that he won't stop.

• amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    If a guy treated me that way, I'd knock all his teeth out.
  • Margentine
    Options
    good luck! if you want to someone that's 'been there done that' feel free to message me or friend me here. i got out and he still harasses me. but, after reading that book and working with a domestic violence counselor for a year, i deal with it much differently now and it doesn't get to me anymore. i can ignore it, even when it's IN MY FACE!

I'm reading it on Amazon just the freebie pages for now ..will look for a counsoler when I settle down in a new place.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You need to leave him immediately. Don't wait. Get the $&%* out of there!!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are being emotionally and physically abused.

deff this .. my sister is still dealing with .. it only gets worse ..

her boyfriend has since broke her nose and pulled a gun on her .. and to think it all started off so innocent :(
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I want to tell you something. Please, I hope you read this. What you described was how my first husband was before we got married. But I foolishly married him anyway.

After we were married, he started hitting me, pushing me, ridiculing me even more. He's say, "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen anyone do."

I could sew pretty well, even when I was young, and he'd put me down by telling me that anyone could do that. One day he told me he'd make my new pants. He just knew it was simple, no hassle at all. So, I handed him the fabric and pattern, and set up the sewing machine. By gum, he got those pants made. But it was NOT easy. He finally had to acknowledge that it was just that I made it look easy. That was probably the only time he ever paid me a real compliment.

He pushed me down a hill in the mountains. He knocked me to the floor when I was pregnant, then proceeded to kick me with his hard toed shoes. I curled up in a fetal position as best I could to protect my baby and myself.

One day he taught me what to do so he couldn't really strangle me the times he'd grab me by the throat.

I left. I had to protect myself and my baby. But I couldn't take my dog, so he killed my dog.

I believe if I had stayed married to him, I might not be alive now. But if I was still alive, I would be a mere shadow of who I am, no doubt. He would have killed my spirit. I also would not have met and married the wonderful guy I did. I've been married to my husband now for 40 years, and had I either died or stayed married to my first husband, I would have missed this lovely life with this dear, sweet man.

The point is, there were big red flags before we were married, but I didn't heed them. Things escalated after we were married to the point of violence and fear. Whatever you are suffering now will likely be much bigger if you marry him. He might just be a jerk, but keep in mind that I went through what you are going through, and he turned out to be so much more than a mere jerk.

Please be careful around this guy. Take care.
    [/quote]

Thank you so much for sharing your story. Wow. Just.....wow.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I feel like whether or not you're being emotionally abused shouldn't even be a question...
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    O_______O Are you kidding me? Calling you 'stupid' is considered emotional abuse???? Wow...I feel like I suffer from serious abuse now...........lol.....................

re-read her post.. it was far more than calling her stupid during an argument .. she even clearly stated he slaps her and she is tired of it ..
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Run!!! Get away as fast as you can. Be strong enough to not call him or answer the phone when he calls you!! It's a control thing and nobody should be treated this way!!!
  • Jessiestokes03
    Options
    CallMe, i'll be your rebound-Ty

Atta boy :)
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The guy is obviously a moron, anyone that discusses politics or anything and is incapable of even considering another opinion is stupid. He obviously is making up for areas he lacks.

Also stupid guys will be a jerk to a girl because he thinks if he is a **** it'll make her stay... He is just some meatbag wasting our resources. Dump him and the minute you do, make sure to get all of your stuff out cause he will try to drag it out for as long as possible.

Stupid is a commonplace word, so in itself it is not abusive, him being a jerk is... So are you a victim or not?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

The point is, there were big red flags before we were married, but I didn't heed them. Things escalated after we were married to the point of violence and fear. Whatever you are suffering now will likely be much bigger if you marry him. He might just be a jerk, but keep in mind that I went through what you are going through, and he turned out to be so much more than a mere jerk.

Please be careful around this guy. Take care.

This is what I'm scared about. I get pushed around a lot by my boyfriend, small things that don't hurt like slaps and pinches. Once in a while he covers my mouth so I can't breathe. And it's all done in a joking way (most of the time). But I get worried about this-what if it gets worse later, once I'm much more committed? Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • Margentine
    Options
    The guy is obviously a moron, anyone that discusses politics or anything and is incapable of even considering another opinion is stupid. He obviously is making up for areas he lacks.

Also stupid guys will be a jerk to a girl because he thinks if he is a **** it'll make her stay... He is just some meatbag wasting our resources. Dump him and the minute you do, make sure to get all of your stuff out cause he will try to drag it out for as long as possible.

Stupid is a commonplace word, so in itself it is not abusive, him being a jerk is... So are you a victim or not?

I Agree.
    The Word Stupid although is common , It's a word that out of respect for him I would not call him that ,,,so when he calls me that ..my gut tells me " OOOhh no honey get out ! "
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I Agree.
    The Word Stupid although is common , It's a word that out of respect for him I would not call him that ,,,so when he calls me that ..my gut tells me " OOOhh no honey get out ! "

So have you gotten out? Cause you know if you don't.... It's negative attention and no one likes a negative nancy.