Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    I am considering bringing pepper spray or mace with me as I venture further from home! Where can you go to buy this stuff, besides online??? Do you think Walmart or Target has it?

I bought mine at ****'s Sporting Goods

HAHAHAH they blurred ****'s Sporting goods! D-I-C-K's Sporting goods has bear spray!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    How many of you who carry protection (especially of the lethal variety) run with headphones in?

BE HONEST. I never see runners without headphones.

It'd seriously suck to get ambushed and be the victim of your own weaponry.

:huh:

I do run with headphones, but outside I keep the volume pretty low and they are not 'in ear' headphones, so I can hear things around me.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I never have, but am looking to buy pepper spray that fits in the palm of my hand. I live in a quaint, usually-safe town and in a nice neighborhood, but you never know! Especially when I run on trails (old rail beds) they are very secluded and usually not well-used.
    I'd rather be on the safe side!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I run with an Ruger LCR in a Remora IWB holster. The only place that my gun doesn't go with me is into buildings where I am not allowed by law to carry it (courthouse, sheriff's office, university property).

Question for whoever posted this:

Does the holster rub and is it uncomfortable to run with?
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am considering bringing pepper spray or mace with me as I venture further from home! Where can you go to buy this stuff, besides online??? Do you think Walmart or Target has it?

I bought mine at ****'s Sporting Goods
    HaHa! I got bleeped! Yeah, you know the place.
  • kbtooke
    kbtooke Posts: 21
    Options
    How many of you who carry protection (especially of the lethal variety) run with headphones in?

I run with just one headphone in my ear and not very loud either. Having situation awareness is key (and training).
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Always! Belly band with my M&P9C for the win! Also carry an extremely sharp folding knife. I do have to say though I am happy to see so many women (and men) carrying. It is better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

^^^ you basically just said what I was going to say, re have it and not need it, etc^^^

Also, my belly band is my favorite for running. My subcompact 9 mm fits nicely up under my rib cage in its belly band and doesn't move around much at all. An ankle holster is awkward to run with at first, but is helped if you wear the gun on the outside of the ankle and wear a weight on the ankle without the gun. For walking, any old holster will do really, belly band, ankle, shoulder, or belt.

I always have my dog with me and we've had several off leash dogs run up on us (which my girl does not appreciate), but I'm too much of a dog person to ever think about pulling on another dog. Even the mean looking one that was growling and way bigger than my girl backed down when I stood between them and yelled and glared and sent him the other way. The friendly clueless ones are more likely keep running up on you, even when you make sure you don't look friendly.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    This is how I roll.
    350x527px-LL-eda82bd7_Riding-while-heavily-armed.png

AR15Bike.jpg

Oddly enough, I have never had a problem.

Totally kidding. I do like the idea though.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.

I love that you assume all of the US is rough. We're not all cowboys and gangsters here. lol

I love that you assumed I assumed that. :tongue:
    Yeah this comment had me scratching my head. I was born and raised in South Africa, have lived all over the US, in London and Berlin, and now live in a major US city, and I have to say, I felt more unsafe in London, Berlin and my homeland combined than I've ever felt here.

Seems people haven't read the whole comment. I also said in rougher parts of the UK - London included.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Note to self...don't **** with runners in the USA lol
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

I run with just one headphone in my ear and not very loud either. Having situation awareness is key (and training).

I never have head phones on, running or walking. and someone trying to ambush me wouldn't see the gun how i carry it.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I only run at the zoo, so I do not arm myself. My husband showed me how ineffective tasers and pepper spray can be to someone who works in a trade or who has ever been to boot camp in the states. He's also disarmed me when I brought up that I could carry a knife or gun. If it had been a real situation, my *kitten* would have been grass. So, I run at the zoo and don't worry about the lions, tigers or cougars, oh my.
  • Kwika
    Kwika Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything but want to get something. Seriously creeped out one time. I was running in bright colored clothing. A guy in an old car drove slowly up to me and said he liked my pants and kept asking me to come closer so he could see them. Once I realized this, I was thinking to myself that if he told my nice pants were nice then he can see them just fine from three feet away from me and still in his car driving. I know I could have outran him to find help if he chased me on foot because I wasn't that far from a gas station. Luckily for me as I ignored him, he finally drove away. I haven't been bothered by dogs or any other animals but have smelled a skunk.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Tons of posts about carrying mace and 1 advocate of carrying a gun.

Why not try running in a safer area or indoors?? My treadmill is pretty safe, the only thing I have to worry about is if someone who hasn't showered in weeks and is wearing a cut off (exposing armpits) jumps on the machine beside me.

I think prevention is better than protection. After all mace is only effective if used properly (assuming you even have the opportunity to use it).

Maybe I'm too logical...

Or maybe you live in Mayberry. Even my gym is hellaciously dangerous after dark.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't run outside yet but when I start I am carrying something. I live in Phoenix, AZ and the crime is pretty bad...and spreading.

For those of you who live in a "safe" neighborhood, criminals have cars and unless you live behind barbed wire...

You don't have to be on some secluded trail to benefit from carrying protection. A lady walking down the street in Phoenix was robbed and shot by a man that got out of a car a couple of weeks ago. A Good Samaritan riding his bicycle tried to help as the man with the gun was dragging her into some bushes but was shot as well :(
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Was this thread title supposed to sound like it was about condoms, or is my mind just in the gutter?
  • markaholden
    markaholden Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    On Bear Spray:

Please note that this is more of a fog than a spray. The goal is to create a barrier between you and an aggressive animal. It will work for Cougars, bears, moose (more dangerous than a bear), etc.

**** BUT ****

You could harm yourself as much as another person if the wind is against you or if the person is too close. BE very careful with bear spray. It will put you in the hospital. I've sprayed it and it isn't pleasant even in a very very low dose that I got.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    This is how I roll.

AR15Bike.jpg

OMG I want that bike.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    This is how I roll.

AR15Bike.jpg

OMG I want that bike.

very few pics on MFP get me thoroughly excited.

this did the job.
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Be sure are are UPWIND when using mace! :huh: I always have my good friends Smith & Wesson with me, they are protection from about anything, except maybe bees and wasps.
    :ohwell: