Survey time: Should a guy pay on a first date?

Options

Replies

• IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options

I was told "You're a backminded foreigner who doesn't think women are capable for doing anything on their own. Maybe in your country women will take that but not in America!". This was said to me after I offered to help this tiny petite girl I knew with lifting up this heavy TV. I woulda done the same for any male too.

Conclusion: I give up on understanding women

Whoever said this to you was very rude and completely overreacted. You didn't do anything wrong by offering to carry the TV. I'm sorry that happened to you.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Guys should definitely pay on the first date. I would be so turned off if he didn't. I am pretty old fashioned, so I think it's good if the guy pays(or at least offers to pay) for the first 5 or 6 dates. One time I had a first date with a guy who had a really good job, and I was between jobs. He paid for dinner, let me leave the tip. He also took my leftovers home. The reason I offered to pay the tip was because I was afraid he would leave a bad one.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Despite wanting men to pay on a first date. Sometimes I think men are damned if they do, damned if they don't. I've seen men hold doors open for women at restaurants only to be chastised that she isn't some helpless female, she is more than capable of opening her own door etc and so forth. I cringe...thinking yikes..he was just being polite now the next chick he meets he may not do that for fear of being reprimanded. I have a friend who insists on going dutch, even if the guy wants to pay and she never hears from them again. So I don't know I think women tend to shoot themselves in the foot, some guys who have grown up taking the initiative to pay, open doors, car doors etc. come across the chick that can do everything herself and finds it insulting.

Lets face it, if a guy meets me and I own my own home, my own car etc. He knows I'm quite capable of taking care of myself, I don't need to tell him I am capable of opening my own door. Sorry I like sometimes to fall into gender roles.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Pay without asking...YES
    Offer to pay once she offers to split the bill...yes
    Insist on paying and make a scene...HELL NO

Be traditional, hold open doors, pull out chairs, give flowers but don't be insulting and over the top.

You are a rare one.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Guy should pay, but the girl should always make the reach.............but there is no way he should take any money from her. Unless he is not into her, and wants to cut his losses...............
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I am not a women's libber!!!

I love being a woman and do not want to be equaled to a man. :) (of course I am from the South... and while some of you may call it backwards, we just call it good raisin') :)

Think it would be great for him to pay for the first date, but I'm always prepared just in case.

My problem is not with the going out... it's the staying in.. I like to cook and will do so for my fella. But I've also experienced where I'm buying all the groceries and he's doing a whole lot of eating. Shouldn't he help out with that every once in a while?
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I am so confused.

Most women want equal rights... but then I hear many women saying a man is not a "gentleman" if he doesn't pay on dates and is not worth seeing again? Am I getting this right?
    No need for confusion. It's called hypocrisy.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I think requiring a man to pay for the date in order to score a second date is incredibly rude. I never expected a man to pay for me and I always offered to pay for myself, if not the entire bill. And if they insisted on paying, I accepted graciously and said the next one was on me.
    EXACTLY! Thank you! :bigsmile:
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i would always pay for the date but with that said if we were going to go get ice cream later and and she insisted it be her treat. i would. i don't inspect anything either at the end of the night.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. The guy ends up paying in the end.
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've been paying for 20 years....lol
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Never been on a date before... but if the situation ever came up for me I would immediately offer first. If my date refuses for whatever reason then there's nothing I can do but respect their wishes.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I think requiring a man to pay for the date in order to score a second date is incredibly rude. I never expected a man to pay for me and I always offered to pay for myself, if not the entire bill. And if they insisted on paying, I accepted graciously and said the next one was on me.

Kind of makes it sound like the man is paying for the girls company... which to me sounds like a specific ancient profession. At least, the idea of "scoring a second date".

I still stand by the idea that the person who asks is the person who pays. Just like I would never ask a friend out to eat unless I knew I could cover their meal, I would never ask a guy out if I was unwilling to pay.

Then again, I just got out of a cruddy 10 year relationship where I think the only meals I didn't pay for were anniversaries and birthdays... don't ask why I stayed that long. I still ask myself that every day.

Now on the other hand I am dating a guy who has paid for everything (except for parking at the zoo, but that was because I had cash and he forgot to hit up an ATM). I have offered to pay or split, but he won't hear of it. It's a very different experience! He also opens my car door for me!
  • CandaceyD
    CandaceyD Posts: 74
    Options
    If he asked you out, then he should pay. On the first date anyway. Afterwards it's up to the two of you.
  • mseraf713
    mseraf713 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I always assumed this was the new modern rule- a lady should offer, but a gentleman should always decline.

Beyond that point, I'm assuming by the fact that your posting on a public forum there will be no 2nd date?
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Why would he? That's sexist as ****.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    guy pays but then again guys shouldnt be setting up expensive first dates with women they arent sure about and not sure if she's into him.

edited to add : there is no contradiction in believing in women's rights and believing that men and women have different hormones which means what creates and sustains attraction and chemistry between the two are completely different. if i'm going dutch on a first date then i'm immediately placing the guy in the FZ area because it just reminds me of what i do with my friends. once a guy is in my friend zone, there's no coming out..

a guys who pays for and most importantly PLANS the first date makes a different impression.

and i've asked guys out on first dates in my youth. but these were guys i had no interest in for anything more than a FWB relationship.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    If he wants to then yes or if he invited you but if you ask him then you should offer to pay.

As a male feminist, I completely agree with this.

As a gay man, one of the guys always pays, lol.

:laugh:
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me want to bang my head against a wall. Yeah it is nice to have a meal bought for you, but if you have no intention of ever seeing the guy again, dont be rude. Go 50/50 with him. If the date goes well, and you want to see the person again, then either go 50/50, or one of you pays for food, other for drink, or one for move tickets, other for snacks. The man should not always have to pay! Thats ridiculous! We are not in the 1950's anymore so ladies, welcome to 2012, where a woman can in fact pay for her own meal, even though it does mean taking time out of your day.

Whoever that poster was, your comments really bugged me. You seem like a special snowflake who's daddy always bought her everything. I could be wrong, thats the impression I got.