whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetable calories don't count because they are "natural".

These people have obviously never met the fat vegetarians I have.
    If they are vegetarian and fat it's likely from eating too much high-calorie dense food such as bread and pasta and cheese (if lacto-ovo). It's unlikely due to eating too many fruits and vegetables.

And again lol...if you eat too many calories in fruits and vegetables...you will get fat.

You can say 'unlikely' if you want, but it doesn't change the implied message in your comment.

/sigh

Have you tried to eat too many fruits and vegetables. It would be VERY difficult. For example, to hit 2000 calories, I'd have to eat over 20 apples!!

One medium/small avacado is roughly 250cal. One apple with 4tbsp natural peanut butter is 500cal (I'm assuming vegans are allowed to eat peanut butter...I've never bothered to look into it, it seems silly to me).

I don't feel like going through a list of high calorie fruits and vegetables...but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility to go over 2000 calories if you're eating a healthy balance of nothing more than...fruits and vegetables.

No one said it was outside the realm of possibility. But it would be incredibly difficult to do. Certainly there are SOME calorie dense natural foods (nuts, avacados), but most are not. And I think the previous guy's statement that, "If they are vegetarian and fat it's likely from eating too much high-calorie dense food such as bread and pasta and cheese." It's doubtful that they are fat because they are just eating too many avocados and peanuts.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    'Red Bull gives you wings'

so disappointed when I found out this was a myth.

Yes, this is a disappointment, if only my brother had figured that out sooner. RIP my little brother.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Today my housemate told Me that diet coke makes you gain weight. I don't drink diet coke but am now going to drink an entire carton of diet coke in aweek just to prove that I won't gain weight. She's buying them so how could I refuse. I love being right

There is research that suggests that artificial sweeteners lead to an insulin response (depends which one you use - google it) and thus it is likely. .
    maybe im wrong but im pretty sure you can only gain with a calorie surplus (not taking into account some sort of medical issue)

nope. you're right. calories make weight. so a no-calorie substance cannot, in and of itself, cause any kind of weight gain unless it somehow defies all known laws of physics.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetable calories don't count because they are "natural".

These people have obviously never met the fat vegetarians I have.
    If they are vegetarian and fat it's likely from eating too much high-calorie dense food such as bread and pasta and cheese (if lacto-ovo). It's unlikely due to eating too many fruits and vegetables.

And again lol...if you eat too many calories in fruits and vegetables...you will get fat.

You can say 'unlikely' if you want, but it doesn't change the implied message in your comment.

/sigh

Have you tried to eat too many fruits and vegetables. It would be VERY difficult. For example, to hit 2000 calories, I'd have to eat over 20 apples!!

One medium/small avacado is roughly 250cal. One apple with 4tbsp natural peanut butter is 500cal (I'm assuming vegans are allowed to eat peanut butter...I've never bothered to look into it, it seems silly to me).

I don't feel like going through a list of high calorie fruits and vegetables...but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility to go over 2000 calories if you're eating a healthy balance of nothing more than...fruits and vegetables.

No one said it was outside the realm of possibility. But it would be incredibly difficult to do. Certainly there are SOME calorie dense natural foods (nuts, avacados), but most are not. And I think the previous guy's statement that, "If they are vegetarian and fat it's likely from eating too much high-calorie dense food such as bread and pasta and cheese." It's doubtful that they are fat because they are just eating too many avocados and peanuts.

How is eating 2000 calories with foods like I included, incredibly difficult? A medium salad with even half a regular avacado and a peanut butter apple snack and you're halfway there.

And regardless of what his point actually was (which I understood), the message he gave was incorrect. Eating too much of ANYTHING (meaning over your calorie limit), including fruits and vegetables will make you fat. His message implied that that wasn't the case.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Fruit causes diabetes..
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    egg yolks are bad for you, only eat the white.

dietary fat makes you fat
    carbs make you fat
    eating after 6 makes you fat
    if you don't eat breakfast, you will be fat
    you must eat 6 small meals a day or your metabolism will be slower (and you will be fat)
    apples and celery = negative calories so eat unlimited amounts and ...you won't be fat

and this has NOTHING to do with food but let me throw in:

women lifting heavy will turn into guys and looks bulky and manly.

GRRRRRRRR
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    GRAPEFRUITS CUT FAT:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    A raw food diet is the healthiest.
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    this isn't a food myth, but it is truly ridiculous...

someone on here months ago was complaining about not losing weight, eating their exercise cals, etc and the reply was, "you have to wait at least a week for your bones to shrink" and then "you'll start losing real fast"...i had to read that entry 3 or 4 times before my brain even even realized how utterly stupid it was...

Why is that stupid? bones do shrink if you don't use them. Google osteoclasts, we all have them. If you lose a lot of weight your bones will probably shrink as they dont have to do as much weight bearing. However, I don't know why anyone would WANT their bones to shrink. That is stupid.

you're saying that bones will shrink in a week? that was what i was quoting, that someone actually thinks bones will shrink in a week or so and that is the key to losing weight...really?
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    My coworkers congregate over anyone who loses weight or appears to be eating healthy for some magic tip.

apparently the new guy is the guru and he informed my overweight, sedentary coworkers that an apple microwaved in bacon fat was a healthy snack
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy all the stabs at the various diets out there...

So far I have seen trash talk albeit someone passive on

Raw diets
    Paleo diets
    Low Carb diets

Etc by indicating that the foundation of these diets is a myth...

Lol gotta love the passive aggressive community here!
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My mother in law once lectured my son about how terrible seedless watermelon is for you (one of his favorite foods), because God made the fruit with seeds and seedless fruit is from the devil because it isn't natural. SHE WAS EATING A TWIX BAR WHILE SHE TOLD HIM THIS!
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    "fruits are bad because they are full of sugar"

~shudddder~

OH, I HATE that one!
  • violet456
    violet456 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    -dairy makes you congested (not true and not scientifically possible)
    -chocolate causes acne
    -carbs make you fat. (eating more calories than you expend makes you fat, WHAT you eat actually has very little to do with gaining or losing weight)

Chocolate causes acne? My grandma always told me eating greasy foods causes acne (which if was true, I shouldn't have eaten half of her cooking. She makes the best fried chicken)
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My coworkers congregate over anyone who loses weight or appears to be eating healthy for some magic tip.

apparently the new guy is the guru and he informed my overweight, sedentary coworkers that an apple microwaved in bacon fat was a healthy snack

I don't find this to be a bad myth or a myth at all.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy all the stabs at the various diets out there...

So far I have seen trash talk albeit someone passive on

Raw diets
    Paleo diets
    Low Carb diets

Etc by indicating that the foundation of these diets is a myth...

Lol gotta love the passive aggressive community here!

They're pretty ****ty diets.
  • SGRhapsodos
    SGRhapsodos Posts: 47
    Options
    The only fluid that counts for hydration is plain water straight up. If that were true I'd have shriveled up and blown away years ago.

Oh. And if you swallow an apple seed a tree will grow in your belly. Still waiting on that one!

That apple seed one is the funniest one so far!