Students forced to give passwords...

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I know this is a serious topic; but this comment made me instantly think of Damone from Fast Times @ Ridgemont High, LOL!
    LOL, great reference. But that's it, schools have that guy who can get them cellphones.
    Are we showing our age if we got this reference? If so, then I have no idea what you're talking about. :wink:
  • macpatti
    Options
    And for the parents who don't think it's ok for a parent to invade the privacy of your kid's facebook account or cellphone! Who pays for internet? Who pays for the cellphone?
    :drinker:
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I know this is a serious topic; but this comment made me instantly think of Damone from Fast Times @ Ridgemont High, LOL!
    LOL, great reference. But that's it, schools have that guy who can get them cellphones.
    Are we showing our age if we got this reference? If so, then I have no idea what you're talking about. :wink:

So you don't know Mr. Hand then? lol
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    And for the parents who don't think it's ok for a parent to invade the privacy of your kid's facebook account or cellphone! Who pays for internet? Who pays for the cellphone?

The person making the decision, surely? If I WERE paying and made the decision NOT to snoop, that's fine. It's not like I'd HAVE to go peering into someone's private life just because I'm paying for the device used to access Facebook.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Just asking the question. I think it's a good idea in this case.
    It's really fascinating to see how differently they can socialize online than they can in person. They're still socially awkward compared to how other middle school kids communicate on FB, but at least we're helping them get there.
  • macpatti
    Options
    No clue. And I've never been inspired to have pizza delivered to my classroom........
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    No clue. And I've never been inspired to have pizza delivered to my classroom........

Really? I think you need some tasty waves...
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Are the teachers required to turn over their passwords to the school adminstrators?
    We are, and I have no problem with it.
    [/quote]

Then you are a sheep slowly eroding the freedoms and civil liberties better men and women then you have spent hundreds of years protecting! The state and thus the school system (public or private) has no right to invade or subjugate my civil liberties. You giving up your right to privacy is one step in a huge snowball that Americans have been accepting for years.
  • TheWinman
    Options

You're still too young, must have watched it as a teen. THe movie is sort of cult classic. :)
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

You're still too young, must have watched it as a teen. THe movie is sort of cult classic. :)

"Too young"...you, sir, are my new best friend, LOL!
  • TheWinman
    Options

The person making the decision, surely? If I WERE paying and made the decision NOT to snoop, that's fine. It's not like I'd HAVE to go peering into someone's private life just because I'm paying for the device used to access Facebook.

No, you don't have to snoop, that is fine. But there is nothing wrong snooping either. Many teens have been saved before it was too late from bad things they were into because of stuff found on their Facebook page. Just saying.....
  • macpatti
    Options
    All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
  • MoonGazer91
    MoonGazer91 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We were having a similar situation in Oregon. Job employers were requesting facebook passwords to look at potential employee's private facebook pages. There was a big blowout where Facebook threatened to take legal action because giving out passwords were against their terms of agreement. Its ridiculous.

I would flip the heck out if anyone over here tried that. Though they are trying other ways of getting around it - apparently the company that I work for have actually employed people to try and snoop in on their employees facebook pages to see if they're badmouthing the company etc etc and another fellow employee from my place got told, by our boss, that he was going to create a fb account to try and do the same. I get their motives but I believe that it takes it too far. Not to mention it's pointless in practicality in that I have my things set so that only my friends can see my posts etc, not everyone or friends of friends and I only add people I know anyway, so even if my boss did make an account, he couldn't see anything other than me wishing a fellow employee happy birthday from many months ago that I made public when testing out my settings. The whole thing in itself is even more pointless when you consider the fact that searching the company name along with "reviews" etc brings up plenty of awful reviews on it - from other customers no-less. The damage is already done to it's reputation, so what difference does an employee ranting about a stressful day at work (management-related or not, maybe they just got a bunch of awful customers that day) make in the long-run, honestly?

I disagree with the whole snooping things with kids though. Again, I can understand somewhat why, safety and all that, but as a kid, even when I was just looking up regular stuff that a kid does, playing on game sites like neopets etc, my dad used to go through my internet history and randomally delete it all/my cookies/passwords etc so it'd be anew for when I next went on the computer - it damaged my trust in him from an early age that I couldn't do anything without him feeling the need to spy on me. And then when I learned how to do it myself, I started doing the same thing even when just visiting my normal sites or if i did happen to be looking up something potentially dodgy (usually something a friend had mentioned, that I then wondered what the heck they were on about etc), which soon put a stop to him doing it - children can be very good at hiding things once they learn how to, if they really feel the need to.
  • runnercheryl
    Options

No, you don't have to snoop, that is fine. But there is nothing wrong snooping either. Many teens have been saved before it was too late from bad things they were into because of stuff found on their Facebook page. Just saying.....

But what right does this give schools to go snooping? A block on using Facebook in school, fine, but Facebook isn't a school's property. It's on a par with 'let me have your bank statements so I can see what you've been buying'. Yes, that information is out there and available - people can see your purchases and you may not have purchased anything incriminating, but would you hand over all your statements?
  • macpatti
    Options
    Then you are a sheep slowly eroding the freedoms and civil liberties better men and women then you have spent hundreds of years protecting!
    LOL. Yes, the fact that I work in a high school and find FB a means of open communication with students, and provide my administrators with my password so they can then ensure the safety of the students, I am a sheep. I work at a Catholic school, so I could get into how being a sheep is not a bad thing as you intended, but that would totally derail the thread and I'm already doing that with Spicoli and Mr. Hand references. But, thanks for playing.
  • TheWinman
    Options

But what right does this give schools to go snooping? A block on using Facebook in school, fine, but Facebook isn't a school's property. It's on a par with 'let me have your bank statements so I can see what you've been buying'. Yes, that information is out there and available - people can see your purchases and you may not have purchased anything incriminating, but would you hand over all your statements?

Don't get me wrong, my initial post about snooping is for parents snooping. No way in hell does a school have the right to do this or take a kids cellphone and snoop.

I do believe that schools should use cellphone signal blockers inside the school so that kids can not use a cellphone during school.
  • runnercheryl
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, my initial post about snooping is for parents snooping. No way in hell does a school have the right to do this or take a kids cellphone and snoop.

I see. Apologies. I got sidetracked, I think. Too many conversations at once, in this thread. :flowerforyou:
  • macpatti
    Options
    But what it's going to take time for everyone to realize is that FB is an integral part of how teens socialize now. Someone has to help guide them in what's appropriate and what is not. For example, high school boys posting pics of themselves drinking alcohol might think it's funny or cool. It will take an adult to monitor that to have a discussion on the dangers of doing that. Who is going to be responsible for teaching students the responsible use of social media? Parents who don't even understand it? I realize many are coming from the viewpoint that schools are doing it to be nosy, but maybe it's to guide, teach, and regulate.
  • TheWinman
    Options
    But what it's going to take time for everyone to realize is that FB is an integral part of how teens socialize now. Someone has to help guide them in what's appropriate and what is not. For example, high school boys posting pics of themselves drinking alcohol might think it's funny or cool. It will take an adult to monitor that to have a discussion on the dangers of doing that. Who is going to be responsible for teaching students the responsible use of social media? Parents who don't even understand it? I realize many are coming from the viewpoint that schools are doing it to be nosy, but maybe it's to guide, teach, and regulate.

Excellent example. I don't how many Facebook photos of teens I see with them drinking. DOn't even get me started with the teen girls and how much they will show in their pics.

As far as teaching parents, that is exactly how I got into doing seminars at high schools, to teach the parents. :)
  • runnercheryl
    Options

Teaching them does not require going on to their pages and using their password. What happened to conversation?

My fiance isn't great with money. I don't guide him to good financial control by accessing his bank account and limiting what he can spend, and where, reading his statements and keeping a record of everything he buys. What happened to explaining what's a good idea and what isn't, to sitting down and discussing potential risks and problems?

Schools should NOT be regulating Facebook use, aside from whether or not it can be accessed in school. As I've said before, it's no different to going to a park and standing watching the children/teenagers there, in case they light a cigarette or start a fight.