Is Hooters kid friendly?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Better not take them outside then...there are adult conversations everywhere.
    Give me a break. I would hope that you'd know the difference between taking my children outside where adults might be and taking them to Hooters. When I say "adult conversations", I don't mean "adults having conversations". If that's your own child in your pic, then surely you understand age appropriate conversations.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I offended by the uniform, so I don't go there. I am also offended by Hot Dog on A Stick...so I boycot that too...:wink:

In all seriousness...really? They are YOUR children. You can give them any experience you want to. You can take them to Hooters and make a big deal about it, or you can take them to Hooters and order some wings. Or you can not take them there at all and get your wings elsewhere. They will follow YOUR lead. If you want to stand outside Hooters and pray for the girls that work there and the management, do that. If you want to bring them to watch UFC...that is UP TO YOU. They will follow YOUR lead. You may not want them to read/watch Harry Potter because you don't like magic. You may not want them to go to Disneyland because they exploit princesses and rodents. You can't control anyone else's actions, just your own. There are weirdos at Chuck E Cheese, Disney, and even in your own neighborhood.

We are a conservative, homeschooling Christian family, but I know that my kids will follow my lead. Judgement is not the way to go. There is plenty of that. How about being a role model instead? Last time I checked we were all stuck here going through life together -- and if you act appalled at someone's choices for clothing, career, etc, your kids will too. If you just take people where they're at and love them anyway...well, that's what your kids will do too. Then they can start making informed and responsible choices about what they want THEIR lives to look like. If you live in a bubble, your world falls apart when the bubble bursts... You are your kids' moral compass until they can form their own. Be a good one -- in reality, not fantasy.

However, I will say that the fingernail I found in my food the last time I was there kind of cured me. I won't be back to the one near me. And fortunately, we live in an area full of other options, so Hooters doesn't have to be an option when we go out.

There's my 2 cents worth...take it or leave it.

Oh yes maam. judgement is not the way. And theres plenty of it in your conservative, christian response isn't there? Haah. Im a Christian too. And its sound like your really judgemental and jealous acutally, because those women fit the "suit" and possibly you don't. Thou shalt not judge. Remember that one from the 10 commandments? Did you think God wants women to be ashamed of their bodies, or the fact that they have a job at all, that isn't in the HOME? At least they are working for a living. Some women choose to work outside the home, and not in a bubble at home.
    Thats my two cents. Take it or leave it.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Oh yes maam. judgement is not the way. And theres plenty of it in your conservative, christian response isn't there? Haah. Im a Christian too. And its sound like your really judgemental and jealous acutally, because those women fit the "suit" and possibly you don't. Thou shalt not judge. Remember that one from the 10 commandments? Did you think God wants women to be ashamed of their bodies, or the fact that they have a job at all, that isn't in the HOME? At least they are working for a living. Some women choose to work outside the home, and not in a bubble at home. Thats my two cents. Take it or leave it.
    You read her post way differently than I did. Your comment was rude, as hers was pretty much saying, "to each their own".
  • macpatti
    Options
    Thou shalt not judge. Remember that one from the 10 commandments?
    Uh, which commandment says, "thou shall not judge"?
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I offended by the uniform, so I don't go there. I am also offended by Hot Dog on A Stick...so I boycot that too...:wink:

In all seriousness...really? They are YOUR children. You can give them any experience you want to. You can take them to Hooters and make a big deal about it, or you can take them to Hooters and order some wings. Or you can not take them there at all and get your wings elsewhere. They will follow YOUR lead. If you want to stand outside Hooters and pray for the girls that work there and the management, do that. If you want to bring them to watch UFC...that is UP TO YOU. They will follow YOUR lead. You may not want them to read/watch Harry Potter because you don't like magic. You may not want them to go to Disneyland because they exploit princesses and rodents. You can't control anyone else's actions, just your own. There are weirdos at Chuck E Cheese, Disney, and even in your own neighborhood.

We are a conservative, homeschooling Christian family, but I know that my kids will follow my lead. Judgement is not the way to go. There is plenty of that. How about being a role model instead? Last time I checked we were all stuck here going through life together -- and if you act appalled at someone's choices for clothing, career, etc, your kids will too. If you just take people where they're at and love them anyway...well, that's what your kids will do too. Then they can start making informed and responsible choices about what they want THEIR lives to look like. If you live in a bubble, your world falls apart when the bubble bursts... You are your kids' moral compass until they can form their own. Be a good one -- in reality, not fantasy.

However, I will say that the fingernail I found in my food the last time I was there kind of cured me. I won't be back to the one near me. And fortunately, we live in an area full of other options, so Hooters doesn't have to be an option when we go out.

There's my 2 cents worth...take it or leave it.

Oh yes maam. judgement is not the way. And theres plenty of it in your conservative, christian response isn't there? Haah. Im a Christian too. And its sound like your really judgemental and jealous acutally, because those women fit the "suit" and possibly you don't. Thou shalt not judge. Remember that one from the 10 commandments? Did you think God wants women to be ashamed of their bodies, or the fact that they have a job at all, that isn't in the HOME? At least they are working for a living. Some women choose to work outside the home, and not in a bubble at home.
    Thats my two cents. Take it or leave it.

You completely misunderstood her comment.

Back to the topic, though. I would not take my son to hooters. Some of my friends would have no problem with it and that's fine. I don't judge them for that. But for my family, it's a definite no. He'll have plenty of time to be an adult and go to adult places, but for now he's a sweet, innocent little boy and I intend to keep him that way for as long as I can. :)
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I am totally loling at the 11th commandment created here. :laugh:

We have so many adult conversations right in our own home, I don't need to worry about the ones we hear out in public. :tongue:
  • HiKaren
    Options
    I'm not judging anyone who chooses to take their own kids there. I'm just giving my opinion to the OP.

Simply agree. Okay it wasn't a 10 commandment. Haah. Its been years since my bible class. Thats technically not a commandment. You proved me wrong. But I was taught not to judge people like that. And maybe I didn't get her tone, the same as you did. But I still feel shes being judgemental of the girls that work there, based on their uniforms, and what they do for a living. So there! This is a place to state your opinion. And that's mine. :tongue:
  • TiredOfBeingFAT130
    Options
    I am shocked at how many people are against taking children to Hooters. Do you not take your kids to the beach either? It's just a restaurant... the high school girls that work at our local ice cream shop are usually wearing shorter shorts than the Hooters girls.
    Not sure if you read all the comments, but it's not JUST about what they're wearing. It's the atmosphere of a sports bar, it's the other customers that like to go and have adult conversations, it's about the whole concept of the restaurant, etc.

Please tell me that you realize there's a difference between choosing Hooters as a place to have dinner with your children and taking your children to the beach. Why do people even bring that comparison up? Good grief.

To be honest with you, I don't really realize the difference. I have brought my daughter in and every time we go in, there are MANY other families in there... to be honest, last time, there were more families in the restaurant than single men. They have good food and the wait staff is very nice. I personally think going to the beach is MUCH more sexual than going to Hooter's. Have you even been there? Just wondering because your comments suggest otherwise. When I went to the beach this past April, I felt the need to cover my daughters eyes when we walked by the kids laying on towels making out... walking by a couple feeling each other up in the ocean.... etc... I have never felt the need to do that at Hooters.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I am shocked at how many people are against taking children to Hooters. Do you not take your kids to the beach either? It's just a restaurant... the high school girls that work at our local ice cream shop are usually wearing shorter shorts than the Hooters girls.
    Not sure if you read all the comments, but it's not JUST about what they're wearing. It's the atmosphere of a sports bar, it's the other customers that like to go and have adult conversations, it's about the whole concept of the restaurant, etc.

Please tell me that you realize there's a difference between choosing Hooters as a place to have dinner with your children and taking your children to the beach. Why do people even bring that comparison up? Good grief.

To be honest with you, I don't really realize the difference. I have brought my daughter in and every time we go in, there are MANY other families in there... to be honest, last time, there were more families in the restaurant than single men. They have good food and the wait staff is very nice. I personally think going to the beach is MUCH more sexual than going to Hooter's. Have you even been there? Just wondering because your comments suggest otherwise. When I went to the beach this past April, I felt the need to cover my daughters eyes when we walked by the kids laying on towels making out... walking by a couple feeling each other up in the ocean.... etc... I have never felt the need to do that at Hooters.

Hooters has good food? Where.
    It's nasty.

Beer is all they can do right.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I guess it wouldn't if you get offended by attractive women...but I don't mind. I have an 11 year old boy that would love to go. We're going to be in SF next week and we may stop in.
  • TinaHumphries
    TinaHumphries Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    We were on holiday in October last year and took our 10 year old son to the one outside Miami for lunch on the way to the airport. It was actually really nice and the waitresses were lovely. They made such a fuss of my son and I have a picture of him with them.

Don't personally see a problem, it just felt like a sports bar to me but we were there during the day.
  • HiKaren
    Options
    Wigglentwink... I do apologise to you. And I did read your post again, and my snotty response. Sorry. I was trying to defend the girls that work there because the waitresses/actresses were so nice to my Dad. When he was alive,I took him there once. I might of taken him again, but he didn't like the food. Now I can't take him there at all. I think this just made me miss my Dad alot. I think of him when I think of that place. I felt I owed you a public apology for jumping down your throat. Kinda snotty too. Im sorry. I don't even have kids to take there if I wanted to. The only person I took there was my Dad that one time.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    They're not offering lap dances. They're showing off their boobs and legs, which isn't anything you can't see just walking down the streets of any city in the US. Heck, even in family-friendly restaurants like Chuck E Cheese, you'll get some mom or teenager wearing just as little as the Hooters waitresses, and the kids all see that.

I don't see how it's not a kid-friendly place, and I can never understand when people say that it isn't. It's louder, they won't care if your child starts being noisy because they won't hear it, and trust me, kids under the age of 8 don't notice boobs unless they have an interest in breastfeeding. Otherwise, they're just another body part. I personally like sports bars for kids, because they're noisier, and if a meltdown starts, you're less likely to hear it than most other restaurants. Call me practical, but waitresses in tank tops and shorts is not enough to deter me from enjoying a meal with a noisy toddler. Heck, who doesn't mind getting an eyeful of something pretty now and then?
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    According to Wiki
    Hooters is a restaurant whose waiting staff are primarily young, attractive waitresses usually referred to simply as "Hooter Girls" whose revealing outfits and sex appeal is played up and is a primary component of the company's image.

I would not take my kids (hypothetically) to a restaurant where sex-appeal is the "theme dish". I would feel I was not setting a good example for them. Plus it would go against the messages I'd be giving them at home to not stare at women, and value people for their soul and not their body.

So in summary - Applebee's to me is family friendly. Hooters not so much.

Granted it's purely hypothetical since I don't have kids. But hey, this is a chit-chat & fun & games forum so i take it to mean "share opinion freely" :-)
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I dont see anything wrong with it. My daughter see's me walking around in booty shorts and my d's hanging out of my tank top, what about it? They have the best hot wings and i want to go there more than my husband does..lol. He hates that the girls are talking non-stop with their annoying voices. If they would just shut up and walk around, he would want to go more often