Polygamy, Your thoughts.

Options
nas24
nas24 Posts: 880 Member
I've thought about this for a while to be honest, if all people in the marriage are happy and of age, then whats the problem? Why not let them live the way they want to? I know in my heart that i could never share my husband, but i see some positives in polygamy. The large, helpful, tight knit family. Think of all the help you would have? What are your thoughts? Cause people seem to think im crazy when i say i don't have a problem with polygamy.

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with it. It's up to the people involved with it.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I've starting feeling like, as long as people are happy and aren't causing harm to others, let them live their damn lives. Regardless if they're gay, polygamists, Mormons, whatever. People should be allowed to be happy - no one should infringe on that (as long as there's no harm being caused.)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would welcome the extra help around the house. But, I wouldn't want to share my husband, therefore not an option for me.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Its not a part of my personal belief system.. but what happens between consenting adults is no concern of mine.

I don't like big government stepping in and making laws where there are no need for them.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would welcome the extra help around the house. But, I wouldn't want to share my husband, therefore not an option for me.

agree!
    lol
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of legal reasons why it would probably be a bad thing, but as a hedonist I have the opinion of "do whatever makes you happy."

That said, polygamy probably isn't for me. Women--and I am generalizing a bit--are expensive.
    -wtk
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference that shouldn't be interfered with by government. Unless young children are involved (making them marry), then it's not a concern to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The reason you could not share your husband ... you were raised with the "notion" that it's OK for a woman to have a positive sense of self worth. It's OK for you to feel that your are equal to a man.

Girls raised in polygamy are not taught this. If a woman who share's her husband is jealous ... the woman has a problem. She's the bad guy. It's not like "Big Love" ... girls raised in this environment are taught they are second class citizens.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Just my luck that I would get 4 women to go along with this idea and then their TOM didn't synch up. Every week there would be one woman p*ssed off.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    But if you let people marry more than one person, what's to stop them marrying more than one coffee table?
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less about other peoples choices in regards to their lifestyle as long as it's an of age human(s), I'm cool with it.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Its not a part of my personal belief system.. but what happens between consenting adults is no concern of mine.

I don't like big government stepping in and making laws where there are no need for them.

This.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    just like gay marriage and abortion - I think people should live how they want and its not my business. As long as it's not a weird cult marrying off 12 year old girls by force. Willing adults? sure.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    It's not for me.

But, if it works for someone else, and they are happy, then good for them.

Life is too short to not be happy!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Just my luck that I would get 4 women to go along with this idea and then their TOM didn't synch up. Every week there would be one woman p*ssed off.

LOL
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I think monogamy laws were made to protect women from predatory males. Interesting how the opinions have changed, by looking at the first responses here.

On the other hand, it may be a triumph of hope over experience, on the man's part..
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    2+ mother-in-laws = FAIL!! :-0

Aside from this, the only concern I would have as a citizen is that the participants are mature consenting adults. After that, none of my business.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    The problem with the FLDS is they force young girls/teenagers into this life style.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I did try and persuade my hubby to get a new wife - one who enjoyed the housework but he was not up for the idea.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I really give less than a damn about what anyone else does in their personal lives.

I myself am not into sharing my partner with others so I myself will not be participating in polygamy.