Book Nerds --UNITE!

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Whoa, you've already got 10 pages, but I'll add:
    The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett
    Historical fiction. His writing style and the fascinating characters made me love this book. And there's a sequel: World Without End, which features the descendants of the main characters. Lately, Fall of Giants, another historical fiction which I enjoyed greatly as well.
    Follett's next one in the century trilogy is due out in the fall! I'm psyched!
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    And what do you think of Nora Roberts? I saw you love JD Robb. Some of Nora Roberts' books are paranormal-ish.

tell you true, i'm not much of a fan of Nora. she just seems lacking. which is weird because i love the in death series lol

honestly, i'm not either. and, as i mentioned before, i'm a writer. and in the romance community she is an icon. i mean just huge. they call her 'le nora' lol. every one wants her career, which i get. and they love her writing, which i just don't get it at all. and the head hopping. omg, please stop. when i'm reading a scene and i have to go back and read again because i don't even know whose head i am in, you are abusing your point of view privileges, nora my friend.

I really liked her older books, and then when she started in on the witch trilogies, I liked those as well. I really enjoy the newer ones though, that are more mystery than romance-y. However, with how fast she pumps them out, I'm beginning to think she's not really writing them. I had heard that James Patterson doesn't completely write his own books - he has students of his that "help" him write them, and he takes most of the credit and money. Who knows if there's any truth to it, but it gets you thinking.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've called you all here for a very important reason. I NEED NEW BOOKS! Give unto me your recommendations! Or we can have a lively discussion about things we've read. Any genre is welcome!

My personal favorites are Paranormal Romance though ;D

My absolute favorite authors include: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Katie MacAlister, Lora Leigh, J.R. Ward, Christine Feehan, Jaid Black and J.D. Robb

Do you know who Felicia Day is? She has an online book club called Vaginal Fantasy. They read paranormal/sci-fi romance novels. Here's her website: http://vaginalfantasy.com/ She also has a channel on youtube and they have hangouts once a month.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Lisa Jackson - writes murder mystery romances
    Reading as many as i can get my hands on right now.
    Really good writer.

If you like thriller/scarey I always recommend Stephen King <3
    I can't sleep with his books in my room after reading them.
    Really good one is : Duma Key
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Lisa Jackson - writes murder mystery romances
    Reading as many as i can get my hands on right now.
    Really good writer.

i love lisa jackson. i found 'hot blooded', is that what it's called?, at a yard sale or something and i thought it was wonderful. i picked up some of her others immediately. have you tried karen robards. she's older but there's quite a backlist so it would keep you busy for awhile. start with 'hunter's moon'.

lisa jackson's sister nancy bush writes series mysteries. i don't know if you're a fan of straight mysteries, but she's quite good too. i wasn't expecting much, to be honest, and i was very pleased with what i read. 'candy apple red' is the first book in the series.
    And what do you think of Nora Roberts? I saw you love JD Robb. Some of Nora Roberts' books are paranormal-ish.

tell you true, i'm not much of a fan of Nora. she just seems lacking. which is weird because i love the in death series lol

honestly, i'm not either. and, as i mentioned before, i'm a writer. and in the romance community she is an icon. i mean just huge. they call her 'le nora' lol. every one wants her career, which i get. and they love her writing, which i just don't get it at all. and the head hopping. omg, please stop. when i'm reading a scene and i have to go back and read again because i don't even know whose head i am in, you are abusing your point of view privileges, nora my friend.

I really liked her older books, and then when she started in on the witch trilogies, I liked those as well. I really enjoy the newer ones though, that are more mystery than romance-y. However, with how fast she pumps them out, I'm beginning to think she's not really writing them. I had heard that James Patterson doesn't completely write his own books - he has students of his that "help" him write them, and he takes most of the credit and money. Who knows if there's any truth to it, but it gets you thinking.

he does have a ghost writer, or more than one. but a lot of very prolific writers do. i don't know how i feel about that, i haven't given it much thought. but it isn't a completely uncommon practice. also he's a member of 'romance writer of america' haha. which a lot of people don't know. i've actually never read one of his books because the premises don't look all that interesting, but i do have some interest in his new YA series and will probably pick it up eventually.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Do you know who Felicia Day is? She has an online book club called Vaginal Fantasy. They read paranormal/sci-fi romance novels. Here's her website: http://vaginalfantasy.com/ She also has a channel on youtube and they have hangouts once a month.

that is possibly one of the best group names i have ever heard
  • xRagster
    xRagster Posts: 27
    Options
    I just finished Game of Thrones. I really liked it. I am getting book 2 tomorrow from a friend.

The second one is awesome , they kinda get crappier as they go after the 3rd one though lol
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Ahhh I cant wait to have time to go through the list
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    Night Circus.

I second this. I'm reading it now, and LOVE it.

Also, check out Divergent by Veronica Roth. It's the first in a trilogy, and Insurgent - the second - just came out. Both really, really good. Sadly, the third won't be out for about a year...
    Just read Divergent and LOVED it!! Going to buy the second on my Nook if my friend doesn't come through and lend me her copy.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    hello fellow book nerd, let me introduce you to goodreads.com where you can find reviews and recommendations based off of what you enjoy reading.

I now have 75 books that I need to read sitting in my library. Very excited about this :D
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm finally getting around to read the Da Vinci Code! Tis very good stuff so far :happy:
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Sherrilyn Kenyon. LOL, I ovedosed on her one week. i read about 10 of her books in a row. They were okay, for romances. Definitely a new twist on the old formula. I will read anything. I just finished George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books. Then an old H.P. Lovecraft I found. Then I read 'Tis by Frank McCourt. Now I'm reading Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls. Next up... Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King. My favorite ever is still The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Love me some Dean Koontz, **** Francis (RIP) and fantasy.
    Edited to say his name is short for Richard... I can't believe that is censored.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Night Circus.

I second this. I'm reading it now, and LOVE it.

Also, check out Divergent by Veronica Roth. It's the first in a trilogy, and Insurgent - the second - just came out. Both really, really good. Sadly, the third won't be out for about a year...
    Just read Divergent and LOVED it!! Going to buy the second on my Nook if my friend doesn't come through and lend me her copy.

Totally agree - I loved Divergent and Insurent.

I got sucked into the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare this week. Please tell me it's not sad that a 34 year old woman with Master's degree is a junkie for YA? LOL!
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm a YA junkie - am way too old forint too! But I love the easy read nature of it, I read 4-5 books a week. ATM I have Hunting Lila on the kindle, pandemonium (delirium sequel), the glimpse and starters in book form! I have a waiting list of 40+ on the kindle too. Fans of divergent (it's been picked up for a movie!) should read Lauren Oliver's delirium trilogy its a fantastic read. (part 3 not out yet). Oh and the pitticus lore books - don't be put off by the word 'alien'! They great books, read the first 2 and the kindle extras in 3days.
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    Don't have time to read the thread now but I can't wait to find some suggestions. I would have to recommend the Stephanie Plum series, they are an easy, fun read.
  • light_shimmer
    light_shimmer Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, I didn't go through every single page, but has anyone mentioned Keri Arthur's "Riley Jensen" series or "Dark Angel's" series for paranormal romance yet? Vamps/weres/shifters set in the future. Pretty good reads
  • bazaar1982
    Options
    I'll admit, I didn't go through every single page, but has anyone mentioned Keri Arthur's "Riley Jensen" series or "Dark Angel's" series for paranormal romance yet? Vamps/weres/shifters set in the future. Pretty good reads

Nope but will have a look for them. Reminded of angel by la weatherly and the skulduggery pleasant books too - more good reads! Any uk users on here make sure you check out green metropolis to buy and sell books - I use it almost exclusively now - but the books for 3.75 sell for 3.00 - 75p a books not bad!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm a YA junkie - am way too old forint too! But I love the easy read nature of it, I read 4-5 books a week. ATM I have Hunting Lila on the kindle, pandemonium (delirium sequel), the glimpse and starters in book form! I have a waiting list of 40+ on the kindle too. Fans of divergent (it's been picked up for a movie!) should read Lauren Oliver's delirium trilogy its a fantastic read. (part 3 not out yet). Oh and the pitticus lore books - don't be put off by the word 'alien'! They great books, read the first 2 and the kindle extras in 3days.

I just finished Delirium and Pandemonium last week too! I thought Delirium was just okay but got sucked in by Pandemonium.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Night Circus.

Oh, I've heard really great things about that one.
  • bazaar1982
    Options

I just finished Delirium and Pandemonium last week too! I thought Delirium was just okay but got sucked in by Pandemonium.

I shouted at the ending thou! Was soo mad that she'd just end it like that!