Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)

Options

Replies

• FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal really. I have friends who eat meat, friends who were formerly vegetarian but now enjoy a plate of ribs and friends who have become vegetarian. We all manage to get together and have a few drinks and nibbles- nobody has ever had a fight over eating the chicken drumsticks or not.

I think as long as you aren't stuffing your beliefs down my throat, whether they are about food, religion, sexuality- whatever, I could not care less.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For me, it's ethical. I've seen animals slaughtered in a home farm setting, and, it's not a pretty picture. Unless the farmer is damn good at what s/he's doing, the animals know what's happening, they are scared, and they suffer. It's like hunting if you miss a clean kill. I actually think the death for factory farmed animals such as electrocution or captive bolt is more humane, although factory farming is horrible for animal production in that it relies on largely on confinement. I also have environmental concerns about animal farming, primarily due to the problems inherent in nitrogen introduced to the water table via waste runoff near feedlots.

Transitioning to vegetarian was difficult in that I liked meat a lot, but, after ten years of being vegetarian I can honestly say that meat smells pretty awful and I would probably barf if I tried to eat it now. As a former smoker, it's very similar. I had no idea had badly cigarettes stank until a year or two after I gave them up. BBQ meat smells rancid and oily to me.

Being vegetarian has had enormous benefits on my health. My family has a history of heart disease, and I had elevated blood lipids. Mine have all dropped on a plant based diet, and my HDL (good cholesterol) is in the 80s. I'm also getting a lot more plant based nutrients (phytochemicals), which is growing area of health research.

I think there's a misconception here that vegetarianism is about eating broccoli and carbs all day, or that high protein, calorie-dense foods can't be obtained through plant based foods. I can rattle off a few - seitan has 20g protein/100 cal (similar to meat), tofu has 10ishg/100 cal, soynuts, beans, quinoa, are all pretty protein dense, and protein rich nuts like almonds have a lot of fat in them too. Someone said vegetarian is 80/10/10 upthread and that's kind of ridiculous. I consinder myself high carb and I eat mayb 50-60% carbs day. Protein needs are grossly overstated on this board, even for people building muscle. I prefer a science based approach - here's a good analysis of how protein requirements are studied physiologically: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/WHO_TRS_935_eng.pdf

That being said, I don't give a f#%$ what other people eat.
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    knitfastpurlyoung Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all!

I've been a veggie for about 6 years. The reason i jumped ship was because I read a book called Fast Food Nation, which led me to another book about UK supermarkets. Amongst a plethora of quite disturbing accounts of our supermarkets, it painted a pretty awful picture of what delightful things that can be found in meat products... other than meat. From what I remember UK meat suppliers would add water to the meat to make the mass bigger, but to keep the water in during cooking, they added a type of glue as well. Then there's all the utter crap they feed the animals, not to mention all the antibiotics... which finds its way into your body.

"Man, that's gross" I thought to myself. "I shall forever more buy organic meat and side step this entire issue. Mmmm... steak."

Except I didn't have much money at the time, and where I was working and living that just wasn't realistic. I could have specially sought out some organic meat, but jeeez, thats like, work.

About 5 days later I realised to my surprise, I hadn't eaten any meat at all in that time and it hadn't been a bother, so I just figured I'd keep going for as long as it made sense to.

There are heaps of very good reasons to become vegetarian, but for me... mostly it was just circumstance. And laziness.

Trying to "recruit" vegetarians doesn't make sense to me. If I can help someone out and point them in the right direction, then cool, but its not my business to tell you what to eat, just as its not your place to tell me what I should be doing with my body.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Lily_Rose
    Lily_Rose Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Love meat!
    Everything in nature eats something else.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    its either for ethical/ environmental reasons or they just dont like eating flesh as a personal prefrence... i have no problems with that. the issue lies where there are ones that say that being vegetarian or vegan is some how superior or more healthy than omniverous eating... the 80/10/10 diet?? thats ridiculous.

What bothers me about that whole lot [of people that have never existed ever] (referencing other people is forbidden), is that you never see "healthy" vegetarians. By "healthy," I mean my definition of "healthy." IE, muscles, built, powerful, etc...

A few vegan friends of mine (from "real life" -- not online friends):

541103_10101271941316213_266994654_n.jpg
    253436_10150190011761829_4795035_n.jpg
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I kept going back and forth with the eating meat thing. Then finally, I just couldn't live with the thought that I was contributing to the deaths of so many animals. It's to the point now that I tried meat (a couple of years ago) and it was so greasy and repulsive that I could not eat it. There are loads of fake meat alternatives out on the market today.

Sometimes I miss tuna fish, salmon, catfish and ham tho but I don't even want those anymore!

You gotta do what is best for you tho within the limits of the law
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    knitfastpurlyoung Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    its either for ethical/ environmental reasons or they just dont like eating flesh as a personal prefrence... i have no problems with that. the issue lies where there are ones that say that being vegetarian or vegan is some how superior or more healthy than omniverous eating... the 80/10/10 diet?? thats ridiculous.

What bothers me about that whole lot [of people that have never existed ever] (referencing other people is forbidden), is that you never see "healthy" vegetarians. By "healthy," I mean my definition of "healthy." IE, muscles, built, powerful, etc...

A few vegan friends of mine (from "real life" -- not online friends):

Awesome pictures! :D
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I love meat...especially my husband's. He is really great in the kitchen.

I have a lot of respect for people who are vegan or vegetarians - it's not a diet that I would enjoy on a regular basis. However, I wish one of the many vegans or vegetarians would speak with my 350 lb vegetarian niece, and please tell her that eating three meals a day of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese isn't quite the way her "vegetarian" diet is supposed to work.

I have noticed that since I have been eating healthier, my body does process meat differently. Chicken and fish are fine - but if I eat anything that has higher fat content, my body lets me know that it is not happy with me. It's not worth it.

It's probably that mac and cheese is a big comfort food. Has she read the book "Shrink Yourself" by Dr Roger Gould, MD? It deals with emotional/stress/comfort eating and truly helped me a lot!
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would say that it is possible to eat some red meat as part of a well-balanced diet...

On the other hand, I have decided not to eat red meat anymore...
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    No matter what we choose to eat, the key from my point of view is to learn how to avoid eating for emotional comfort...
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    I love meat...especially my husband's. He is really great in the kitchen.

Really. F'n really? I mean... seriously. Really?

Everyone's better in the kitchen ;)

Yes, really. One of the reasons why I gained 80 lbs after we were married. :smile:

No love. I was addressing your statement that you "love your husband's meat."
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Wow! I can't believe this topic is starting again!

I am a vegetarian for ethical reasons, because I believe that if humans are the highest form of life that has evolved on this planet, the only way they can show it is by showing compassion to other species.

However, I have not won any arguments with my reason for being a vegetarian. Most humans just aren't compassionate.

However, I have shut down every thread on this subject I have ever participated in (i.e., debate veggies vs meat) by simply citing a few of the thousands of studies showing that meat is implicated in many chronic diseases, and vegetables are implicated in none. It is reall easy to win this debate for a vegetarian. Cite studies. There are hundreds if not thousands of them.

And please for those of you who got a "C" in statistics 101, please do not try to counter these studies by saying "correlation does not equal causation." My answer will be simple: show me a single study where causation is proven. Proven! By something other than correlation. Any study any subject.

I don't even know if I really want to do this again.

And Juliesummers, you go girl!!!
  • gchutson
    Options

She's so light, she actually floats.

I weigh more than all of these people put together. Including the car.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Yup, I believe that. Coronary occlusion waiting to happen.
  • juliesummers
    Options
    And she's been raw vegan/fruitarian for many years now:
    310939_172866589468598_1483215013_n.jpg
  • gchutson
    Options

Yeah. If only I were healthier and in better shape.
  • juliesummers
    Options

Haha did you really just imply that these people are a) unhealthy and b) unhealthy because they're not has heavy as you are? Since when does being heavier mean you're healthier?
  • gchutson
    Options
    And she's been raw vegan/fruitarian for many years now:
    310939_172866589468598_1483215013_n.jpg

I wear that exact same tube-top to the gym.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Yeah. If only I were healthier and in better shape.

Yeah, you will sure make a fine looking corpse. There is a difference between being steroidally muscle bound and being healthy. Why don't you post an xray of your arteries.
  • gchutson
    Options

Haha did you really just imply that these people are a) unhealthy and b) unhealthy because they're not has heavy as you are? Since when does being heavier mean you're healthier?

No. I implied that they are thin, tiny little people. Mostly because they are thin, tiny little people.
This discussion has been closed.