silly Americans

Options

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    There's a couple of reasons why I haven't traveled out of the US. 1) I can't afford it. :( 2) I'm too scared of anti-american people kidnapping, mugging or murdering me for being American. Based on what I see on the news on online, most of the world seems to hate Americans and I don't blame them, we are quite obnoxious. Do try to have fun though. My bf wants to go to Italy for our honeymoon if we get married and I'm too scared that I won't make it out alive. D:

are you SERIOUS? I was more scared of going to America than going to Egypt. You guys have loads of guns and shoot each other all the time....

Italy is fabulous, fabulous.

I don't own a gun. They scare me too. I don't even venture into the cities after dark in my own state because of all the thugs with guns. Every time I turn on the news it seems that an American is getting murdered in a foreign country because they don't like us. I've also never been on an airplane, which also scares me. Knowing my luck, I'd be on the plane that gets blown up by a terrorist. Maybe I can ask my bf if we can go to Hawaii instead? I'd feel much safer. >.<

Just make sure you're not sensitive to the sun in Hawaii. I got the worse burnt ever there even with sunblock.

I get burned bad enough in New Jersey and Delaware, even with sunblock. Guess I'll never go to the beach again without a giant hat and umbrella. I hate being so pale. >.<
    ...I seriously hope this chick is joking, and isn't this afraid of her shadow.

Is it hard to believe that people live in fear in this scary world? My shadow is just fine, thank you very much. I reinforce every lock in my house before going to bed, otherwise I can't sleep. I took self defense classes in college and carried pepper spray everywhere. >.<
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    to all the people who are too scared to travel to other countries and are afraid to head into cities at night. I feel very sorry for you. You are missing out on life.

More like missing out on the opportunity to get killed. No thanks. There are too many bad people in the world to risk it.
    I don't own a gun. They scare me too. I don't even venture into the cities after dark in my own state because of all the thugs with guns. Every time I turn on the news it seems that an American is getting murdered in a foreign country because they don't like us. I've also never been on an airplane, which also scares me. Knowing my luck, I'd be on the plane that gets blown up by a terrorist. Maybe I can ask my bf if we can go to Hawaii instead? I'd feel much safer. >.<

WOW! WOW is all I can say. You need to stop watching the Lifetime channel.

I don't watch Lifetime. I watch normal TV and the news. Seriously, how can people not be afraid of these things? I'll never go on a cruise ship neither. D:

Even normal TV and the news present a skewed view of how safe things are because they present what is newsworthy. The billions of normal folks having safe, normal experiences that don't make the news FAR outweigh those whose day was so messed up that you got to hear about it.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    F 'EM! They are probably wearing Nike's, Wrangler Jeans, and an Abercrombie shirt which will make it very ironic.

Manufactured by small children in sweat shops for the smallest of wages and none of the rights and freedoms americans are so proud of?

Ironic indeed.

They could be large children, you size-ist!
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I don't watch Lifetime. I watch normal TV and the news. Seriously, how can people not be afraid of these things? I'll never go on a cruise ship neither. D:

So long as you aren't including Fox News in this - definitely not the place to be getting 'facts' from.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

I don't even have my license yet, so no. I don't. If it wasn't a requirement to survive in the US, I would never get my license but as soon as I can afford a car I'll be learning. I'll probably have to go back on my anti-anxiety medication to survive it though, which means I'll gain back all the weight I lost. >.<

I'm sorry. i wasn't considering your hesitance was the result of anxiety. i thought it was more of a naive thing and was trying to show you its not really something to be worried about because its a wonderful experience.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    you could dress just how they dress in italy and i'll be honest, they can still pick you out. :)

I went to Italy to visit family and i didn't care if people thought i was from America. my family wears some of the same things we have here in America...
    wear what you want to wear and enjoy the vacation.

:)

To be fair, I can usually pick out tourists in America, too, and usually I can tell when they are foreign (I lived in Niagara Falls, New York). In the Falls, there were stereotypes for Canadian tourists that match a lot of American-abroad stereotypes; such as being rude and demanding. There were tourists that earned that reputation, and ones that were completely polite and didn't stick out at all. Just like there are Americans (some who are clearly present in these boards) who earn the negative reputations for the rest of us.
  • Xbwalker
    Xbwalker Posts: 65
    Options
    Wear a "USA IS BETTER THAN YOU" shirt made entirely out of oil based product. Wear shorts and socks sewn from an American flag and hop off that plane chanting USA USA USA while shooting red white and blue bottle rockets off.

Oh and be sure that you always open a conversation with, "Hey is this where __________ lives?"

Italy - "Hey is this where the Godfather lives?"
    Germany - "Hey where is Sigmund? hahaha"
    Scotland - "You sound funny. Just like Shrek!"
    UK - "Do you think you are smarter than me with that sissy accent?"
    Spain - Just call them Mexicans and see what happens.
    Russia - "Hey are you guys always wasted?"
    France - Just do anything vaguely American.

EDIT: Oh and call Football "Soccer". They love that over there.

These steps should ensure that you are properly shunned by the entire European community.
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    So. . . . we Americans should groom ourselves and dress nicely, avoiding bright colors, jeans, shorts, sneakers, and especially, um, waist-mounted-pouches at all costs.

However, we should also look like we don't have any money.

A challenging balance. :huh:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    wear this shirt.

$(KGrHqJ,!qME88f7YdJFBPVOI+h+,!~~60_35.JPG
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options

So long as you aren't including Fox News in this - definitely not the place to be getting 'facts' from.

Spoken like a true, ignorant foreigner. No profile pic, no friends, lots of opinions to boot.
    You don't see me giving social and cultural commentary on England do you? The world would be happier if people would refrain from speaking on topics they aren't 1) concerned with 2) involved with.

For example, each time I see a vegan thread I don't hijack it and start talking about why I am not a vegan or why I don't practice it. It's called etiquette and respect. Don't you have better things to do man?
  • ary137
    ary137 Posts: 1
    Options
    don't wear:
    - flip flops
    - tshirts
    - jean shorts, generally jeans
    - baseball caps
    - sneakers

I'm serious. you're going for the summer! wear nice sundresses or skirts with flats or strappy sandals. it normally goes without saying we can pick up on Americans but you can always try to blend in :)
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    to all the people who are too scared to travel to other countries and are afraid to head into cities at night. I feel very sorry for you. You are missing out on life.

More like missing out on the opportunity to get killed. No thanks. There are too many bad people in the world to risk it.

WOW! WOW is all I can say. You need to stop watching the Lifetime channel.

Even normal TV and the news present a skewed view of how safe things are because they present what is newsworthy. The billions of normal folks having safe, normal experiences that don't make the news FAR outweigh those whose day was so messed up that you got to hear about it.

My inlaws (SIL especially) are really like this. I'm told not to go out after dark. To always close the garage door before getting out of my car. If my husband's out of town for work, I get calls from his parents telling me that I need to remember not to put anything on facebook that might let people know he's gone.. don't want anyone knowing you're home alone (with my little boy). This makes me so angry. I try to tell them I lived alone BEFORE I married him, so I think I'm okay.. I don't know how people deal with living in constant fear that at any moment something's going to "get them".
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    wear this shirt.

$(KGrHqJ,!qME88f7YdJFBPVOI+h+,!~~60_35.JPG

Where can I buy that?
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I wonder if Italian tourists coming to America worry about fitting in with the locals, and pack flip-flops and shorts. Somehow I doubt it.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Wear a "USA IS BETTER THAN YOU" shirt made entirely out of oil based product. Wear shorts and socks sewn from an American flag and hop off that plane chanting USA USA USA while shooting red white and blue bottle rockets off.

Oh and be sure that you always open a conversation with, "Hey is this where __________ lives?"

Italy - "Hey is this where the Godfather lives?"
    Germany - "Hey where is Sigmund? hahaha"
    Scotland - "You sound funny. Just like Shrek!"
    UK - "Do you think you are smarter than me with that sissy accent?"
    Spain - Just call them Mexicans and see what happens.
    Russia - "Hey are you guys always wasted?"
    France - Just do anything vaguely American.

EDIT: Oh and call Football "Soccer". They love that over there.

These steps should ensure that you are properly shunned by the entire European community.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! YES.
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Italy's the place where all those people died on a cruise ship because the captain was a freaking moron. Also that girl was stranded there for years in that trial because they assumed she killed her roommate because their justice system is horrible. I'm treated poorly in my own country at times, I can't imagine how much people would hate me outside the US. >.<

The Titanic wasn't on its way to America or anything, and surely, no tourist was ever held captive in America. To deduce that a country is dangerous based solely on some unfortunate events is, pardon for saying so, exceptionally naive.

Things happen. They aren't pretty, no one wants to see them, but it happens. In Italy just as much as in America. Italians won't chew your head off or chase you with pitchforks just because you're American. They are actually very nice people, very emotional and friendly. A bit loud, but definitely not any more rude than others.

Chill.
  • sonny368
    sonny368 Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm italian and I wish to be american, anyway...I can suggest you not to be woorry about, we're all accustomed to americans and 1st enjoy the food, don't take the touristic place I don't know which city you'll go but ask for good and affordable places not touristic you'll enjoy more the visit and you'll get into the core...
    Ok...sandals with socks are awful...no way out...I mean, you're all recognizable by that ! It's the only thing that Americans wrong, are really awful, there's nothing else to be worry, don't mention the italy-born crime you know which, unfortunately crime raised in Italy quite a bit, infact I'm moving to UK, well where I live there's not but economy is really that bad!!
    Eat....and steal the recipes !!!
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Spoken like a true, ignorant foreigner. No profile pic, no friends, lots of opinions to boot.
    You don't see me giving social and cultural commentary on England do you? The world would be happier if people would refrain from speaking on topics they aren't 1) concerned with 2) involved with.

For example, each time I see a vegan thread I don't hijack it and start talking about why I am not a vegan or why I don't practice it. It's called etiquette and respect. Don't you have better things to do man?

I am simply being humourous - nothing malicious, just a bit of political satire. They aren't opinions, just jokes, Laces_Out seemed to be getting it :bigsmile: You don't see me calling him an ignorant foreigner for the "world war champs" shirt? It is offensive, but clearly a joke. No offence taken. Why am I ignorant but he isn't? At no point have I gone out of my way to call someone names and insult them directly - though you seem to think this is ok? :huh: Just take a deep breath (or have a beer :smile: ) and please consider taking my comments in the jesting manner they were intended. I should point out, my comments would have been the same regardless of the nationality being discussed. That's just by-the-by.
    I apologise if I have offended you personally, it wasn't my intention - though I honestly cannot see which of my comments would have done so? I have been following this thread because it was interesting - but having never visited Italy I cannot give any direct advice, but I would love to go and visit my family there one day. I absolutely love travelling and I also love the USA (i've visited a few times) - if you have some knowledge of the politics of the UK I would have absolutely no problem with you poking fun at them :bigsmile: that's what they're there for right?
    The thread changed direction, there is nothing wrong with a bit of humourous commentary. Sometimes there are posts which are just asking for a punchline. If I was so ignorant to the issues, I wouldn't have had anything to add. Maybe I should have added a few more smiley faces? :flowerforyou:
    (yes, I have much better things to be doing, but I am procrastinating :embarassed: though I don't know what the profile pic/friends has to do with anything - i'm here for fitness and a bit of chit-chat, it may be different to what you are looking for but it doesn't mean anything sinister :smile:)

Anyway - signing off, still completely bewildered how I managed to provoke such an extreme reaction - but there we go.

Edit: Oh, I just saw it was you who said "They could be large children, you size-ist! ". I actually thought that was a great response, made me chuckle :smile: This was also a joke right? I'm hyper-paranoid now :laugh:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Italy's the place where all those people died on a cruise ship because the captain was a freaking moron. Also that girl was stranded there for years in that trial because they assumed she killed her roommate because their justice system is horrible. I'm treated poorly in my own country at times, I can't imagine how much people would hate me outside the US. >.<

The Titanic wasn't on its way to America or anything, and surely, no tourist was ever held captive in America. To deduce that a country is dangerous based solely on some unfortunate events is, pardon for saying so, exceptionally naive.

Things happen. They aren't pretty, no one wants to see them, but it happens. In Italy just as much as in America. Italians won't chew your head off or chase you with pitchforks just because you're American. They are actually very nice people, very emotional and friendly. A bit loud, but definitely not any more rude than others.

Chill.

I hope so. *sigh* I just don't want to die my first trip out of the country. My bf has been all over europe, cuz he's from a family that makes quite a bit of money, so he doesn't see why I'm so scared of travel. I was petrified the first time I was on a train a month ago, I was afraid I'd get on the wrong train, miss my stop, etc. It actually was really easy so I like the train now. Airports just sound like a nightmare for a high-anxiety individual like me.

I don't even have my license yet, so no. I don't. If it wasn't a requirement to survive in the US, I would never get my license but as soon as I can afford a car I'll be learning. I'll probably have to go back on my anti-anxiety medication to survive it though, which means I'll gain back all the weight I lost. >.<

I'm sorry. i wasn't considering your hesitance was the result of anxiety. i thought it was more of a naive thing and was trying to show you its not really something to be worried about because its a wonderful experience.

It's okay, I probably should have mentioned it earlier. If they had anti-anxiety meds that didn't have weight gain as a side effect, I would totally be on them. :P

No. I don't watch Fox news. They make me angry most of the time. :P

I'm sure this is true. I just have horrible luck with things so I'm just worried about being the next breaking news story. Granted my bf is a big dude so if I keep him around, I should be okay. ^.^
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    nobody is going to trouble you for being American, unless you rub their faces in how fabulous you think America is or tell them something about how its the land of the free and its better,

Ha, not a problem there!!

This is true because they already know that fact.

You could also let your leg hair grow out to blend in:tongue: