silly Americans

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    There's a couple of reasons why I haven't traveled out of the US. 1) I can't afford it. :( 2) I'm too scared of anti-american people kidnapping, mugging or murdering me for being American. Based on what I see on the news on online, most of the world seems to hate Americans and I don't blame them, we are quite obnoxious. Do try to have fun though. My bf wants to go to Italy for our honeymoon if we get married and I'm too scared that I won't make it out alive. D:

are you SERIOUS? I was more scared of going to America than going to Egypt. You guys have loads of guns and shoot each other all the time....

Italy is fabulous, fabulous.

I don't own a gun. They scare me too. I don't even venture into the cities after dark in my own state because of all the thugs with guns. Every time I turn on the news it seems that an American is getting murdered in a foreign country because they don't like us. I've also never been on an airplane, which also scares me. Knowing my luck, I'd be on the plane that gets blown up by a terrorist. Maybe I can ask my bf if we can go to Hawaii instead? I'd feel much safer. >.<

I think you are more likely to meet a violent end in America or Hawaii than Italy :)

Most people I've met outside of the U.S. like Americans very much. They don't like U.S. policy, but they like Americans. I have always had good experiences abroad. I find most people wish Americans saw more of the world. Maybe we'd understand it better.

We'd see more of the world if we could afford it. Travel is soo expensive and most of us are having a hard enough time paying our bills. My bf's family is muuuch richer than mine so they get to travel more which makes me feel out of place when they're talking about their adventures. I feel like a pauper at their house because I don't even own a car yet. They don't mean to flaunt their money but when they talk about all the things they do, it's hard not to take it that way. :/
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I heard people tell americans to wear Canadian things..Flags and such... Im canadian and have heard alot of people tell that to Americans. You could try it? lol

Please don't try it. When you speak they will know you are not Canadian and wonder why you are lying to them.

The stereotype of Canadian tourists is that they wear a Canadian flag on everything so people don't think they are Americans.

Is it a stereotype if it is true. I don't ever want to be mistaken for someone from the US.
  • ladykat2330
    Options
    Cheese and crackers SOME PEOPLE! READ! She didn't say she was ashamed! There are places in the world where being American can get you in trouble or do you not keep up with the news and travel warnings? Some places will try to rip you off because you are American. Some places you will get kidnapped because you are American.

I think what her mother was trying to say was don't look like a tourist.

thank you for this!!

I've heard time and again that sneakers are a huge giveaway. I have friends who were denied seating in a restaurant in France because they were wearing sneakers

They weren't turned away for being American. In Europe its considered bad manners to go to certain places in trainers (sorry sneakers) and you will get turned away. Its not just restaurants either, night clubs, some bars and pubs are just the same.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Are you really more scared to go to America than Egypt?

Depends. Egypt has gotten a bit unstable of late, although its former stability was an illusion: a US backed tyrant using US weapons to subjugate his people. So again, Egyptians have legitimate reasons to be quite upset at Americans, at least the American government... This wasn't discussed much in the US. Mubarak went from being a partner in peace to a dictator overnight, and the past was quickly white washed. But I digress.....

I travel all over the Middle East, and I've always felt safe. Violence is incredibly rare there. Only in Iraq was I extremely careful.

The US can be a very dangerous place, too, although the violence is typically confined to specific areas that can be easily avoided.

I would rather walk the streets of Alexandria at night than Detroit. But on the other hand, Egypt is a country in transition, and probably not safe now for most American tourists. Especially those that do not often travel, especially to that region of the world.

I walked the streets of Havana Cuba at 1am and I make sure my *kitten* is out of the Detroit city limits before the street lights come on.

I have it good. My husband lived in Italy and Spain and is Cuban and he fits in nicely everywhere we go. I just let him do the talking and I smile and enjoy the food and beautiful scenery.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Just wear clothes, as you normally do, and have a good trip!!!

Likely if you're travelling to a foreign country or even a different part of your own country that might have a different accent, as soon as you open your mouth they will know you are a tourist, or, you won't have the same complexion, and perhaps ASSUME that you are a tourist.

Who freaking cares lol

Live your life!!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I googled "American Tourist" and this came up:

US-Tourist.JPG

Avoid looking like this.

For the rest of your life.

LOL!

Oh no. I have that shirt in my dresser.

Please don't wear it! I've never in my life had an urge to mug someone, but suddenly, I want to mug the people in this photo! :laugh: