WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER

Options

Replies

• NanaPami
    NanaPami Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just returned from a week-long audit trip. Know what auditor's do? They go out to eat for every meal. I didn't even have time to look up the foods that I ate, so....I just ate half of what I ordered. In some cases, one of the other auditors would share a plate with me, but when they wouldn't, I just left food on my plate. I hate to see the food go to waste, but it's better than it going to my waste.

I also worked out every morning in the fitness center in the motel where we stayed. I'm happy to report that I was able to at least stay even. Thankfully, I only go on these trips about once a year. Whew! It's good to be home. :happy:
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    THIS INFO WAS JUST PASSED ON TO ME, AS I WORK IN AN ACCOUNTING OFFICE, AND IS IMPORTANT TO READ RE: CENSUS PROCESS:

THIS IS PRETTY BASIC ADVICE; BUT, IN TODAY'S
    TIMES, I CAN SEE IT COULD LEAVE AN OPEN DOOR
    FOR PASSING OUT YOUR PRIVATE INFORMATION.
    WARNING: 2010 Census Cautions from the Better Business Bureau
    ã??
    Be Cautious About Giving Info to Census Workers by Susan Johnson
    ã??
    With the U.S. Census process beginning, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) advises people to be cooperative, but cautious, so as not to become a victim of fraud or identity theft. The first phase of the 2010 U.S. Census is under way as workers have begun verifying the addresses of households across the country. Eventually, more than 140,000 U.S. Census workers will count every person in the United States and will gather information about every person living at each address including name, age, gender, race, and other relevant data.
    ã??
    The big question is - how do you tell the difference between a U.S. Census worker and a con artist? BBB offers the following advice:
    ã??
    If a U.S. Census worker knocks on your door, they will have a badge, a handheld device, a Census Bureau canvas bag, and a confidentiality notice. Ask to see their identification and their badge before answering their questions. However, you should never invite anyone you don't know into your home.
    ã??
    Census workers are currently only knocking on doors to verify address information. Do not give your Social Security number, credit card or banking information to anyone, even if they claim they need it for the U.S. > Census.
    REMEMBER, NO MATTER WHAT THEY ASK, YOU REALLY ONLY NEED TO TELL THEM HOW MANY PEOPLE LIVE AT YOUR ADDRESS.
    ã??
    While the Census Bureau might ask for basic financial information, such as a salary range, YOU DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT YOUR FINANCIAL SITUATION. The Census Bureau will not ask for Social Security, bank account, or credit card numbers, nor will employees solicit donations. Any one asking for that information is NOT with the Census Bureau.
    ã??
    AND REMEMBER, THE CENSUS BUREAU HAS DECIDED NOT TO WORK WITH ACORN ON GATHERING THIS INFORMATION.. No Acorn worker should approach you saying he/she is with the Census Bureau.
    Eventually, Census workers may contact you by telephone, mail, or in person at home. However, the Census Bureau will not contact you by Email, so be on the lookout for Email scams impersonating the Census.
    ã??
    Never click on a link or open any attachments in an Email that are
    supposedly from the U.S. Census Bureau.
    ã??
    For more advice on avoiding identity theft and fraud, visit www.bbb.org <http://www.bbb.org/&gt;

PLEASE SHARE THIS INFO WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

BirdieM
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Great advice Birdie!:flowerforyou: Thank you, Alice
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    To Barb -- Wow a fellow Washingtonian!!! Nice!!! I'm located in the Tri-Cities area . . .so far MFP has been fun, and I can join in on my terms. I'm 55 years old and this group seems to be the best fit for me. I had major surgery in May, and in October was given clearance to get back into exercising. Struggling now with the colder weather and wanting to roll out of bed at 5am . . . . thanks for your good words. Keep me up on your progress . . . it will help me keep motivated!
    Brady
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    Testing to see if my ticker works . . .
    143992.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    :smile: Birdie, thanks for the Census Info tip. I have a teenager in the house that would probably tell them anything they asked. I'll be sure to pass along the info.
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I introduced myself a month ago, and I'm glad to be back on this great thread.

MacMadame :flowerforyou: It's always great to learn from a pro. I'd love to see a before photo. Amazing work!
    Laurel :flowerforyou: Have a wonderful time at the wedding tomorrow. I hope all goes well.
    Jam :flowerforyou: I need to fire up my crockpot (it's that time of year). I :heart: chicken pot pie. I make it with a broth gravy, and only a top crust (made with oil). It's delicious, and much healthier.
    Heart :flowerforyou: i agree that the unhealthy snacks need to stay in the grocery store!
    Barbie :flowerforyou: Your before/after photos are inspiring. Thank you.
    Benson :flowerforyou: How is your son doing?
    Doobie :flowerforyou: What a fantastic example to your family. I can't think of a better lesson for lifelong health.
    Weak :flowerforyou: I'm in the Portland area. Do you mostly exercise indoors?
    Birdie :flowerforyou: Congratulations on inspiring your husband. Sometimes, they're hard to win over.
    Sheila :flowerforyou: The 130s! I'm SO looking forward to that.
    Alice :flowerforyou: I hope your teeth feel better soon.

Take care, Susan
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Have been out of town with my mom and dad it was my dads 85th birthday and I was so thankful he was and is here. Thank you Lord. I will read posts over the weekend just wanted to check in so I could hold myself to the fire.

Best wishes to all,
    Lynn :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I know that you all probably thought that I was lost. I haven't posted for several weeks. I was sick and incredibly busy, and somewhat down. It was silly, but I was down about the fact that I gained some weight on the steroids that they put me on for my asthma, and it was really eating at me. However, even though I thought about it, I knew that giving up was not an option, and I hung in there. As of Wednesday, I had lost all of the weight that I had gained, and I'm ready to get going again. And, even though I am still coughing a little, I have been off of all of the extra medicine that I was taking for a week now. I feel much better, and maybe I will go out and conquer the world now. Now I would like for all of the hard work that I've been doing to get me more results than just losing that dang steroid weight! I hope all of you are doing well. I haven't even been reading your posts, but I pledge to start trying to keep up again now. Have a great weekend, and here's to smart choices!
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Mary, hang in there. It must be terribly hard to be so diligent only to be put on medication that works against you. :frown: I can't imagine:ohwell: But we're all rooting for you!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: If you give up, it could only make it worse. We're here for you! Better days are coming and thank goodness you've lost the weight from the medication. :flowerforyou: Your ticker is pretty impressive! Hang in there ...with us!!!:love:
    BirdieM:wink:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Sheilajane- Congrats! That is wonderful news.

SuzyQ- It’s great that you have develop such good new habits. I envy you.

VickiM- After your success cutting and pasting, I thought I’d give it a try too. Thanks for all your hard work with all the comments. We all appreciate it.

Alice- I hope you feel better.

NanaPami- Your post brought back memories of business travel. We use to share meals all the time within our group. Even the guys would split things.

Susan- Welcome back to the thread

Mary- Welcome back. Glad your feeling better. Hang in there.

Have a nice evening everyone,

Jeannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: We had a lovely dinner with friends last night. I watched what I ate all day and made sure I got a lot of exercise so I'd have some calories available for dinner. The company was great. We love the family and their thirteen poodles. Dinner was roast chicken, a vegetable dish with zucchini, onions, peppers and turkey sausage, and baked yams. It was delicious. Just before we left, the daughters cut up fresh oranges and pears for dessert. :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: mary, it's good to see you back again....I'm glad you didn't give up even with some big boulders in your road.

:flowerforyou: Susan, it's good to have you back....I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

:flowerforyou: Lynn, welcome home and happy birthday to your dad.

:flowerforyou: brady, your ticker works and it looks quite impressive. Best wishes to you as you continue toward your goal

SheilaJane, congrats on getting into the 130's.....that is a great accomplishment.....your simple ideas are really working.

:flowerforyou: Birdie, thanks for the census information

:flowerforyou: nanapami, you did great with all those restaurant meals.......that is my hardest challenge

:flowerforyou: Rosemary, your weather update was much more entertaining than the one on the news tonight......take care

:flowerforyou: Alice, I hope your mouth is feeling better today.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, I love reading about how you continue to refine and modify your eating and exercising to do what is most effective for you

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ, I've had the same experience of finding that my simple eating just feels right to me and I don't need all the other stuff....when I got all the apples, I thought only of eating them raw or making applesauce, not all the sweet desserts that everyone else suggested

:flowerforyou: Becky, congratulations on losing another pound......I know you've worked hard to get rid of that one...I'm learning to ignore the chubby friends who tell me I'm too thin.:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, thanks for all your encouragement.

Jake leaves early tomorrow for an overnight trip to Vancouver (sorry Barb, I won't be able to go along this time:sad: :sad: :sad:) We're a one car family so I'll be without a car which will give me plenty of time for Leslie Sansone, Richard Simmons, and applesauce. the dogs won't get to go to the dog park but I'll walk them on the hill a few times.

It's early to bed so we can get up at 4:30.......hugs:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat-

Tell Jake to pack his umbrella!!!:laugh: :laugh: I think all the rain you were talking about earlier has decided to come down here:grumble: to make him feel at home!!:laugh:

Susan, (Slightingscale)

I do all of my exercise outdoors at present. Since my primary choice is walking, mostly with doggies of late. I have to do some reconfiguring of my living room to be able to do indoor activities. If we have a winter like last year, I will definitely have to do some indoor activities, and get a "doggie treadmill" :noway: to keep the canine members of my family looking svelte.:laugh:

Barb
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Mary, hang in there. It must be terribly hard to be so diligent only to be put on medication that works against you. :frown: I can't imagine:ohwell: But we're all rooting for you!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: If you give up, it could only make it worse. We're here for you! Better days are coming and thank goodness you've lost the weight from the medication. :flowerforyou: Your ticker is pretty impressive! Hang in there ...with us!!!:love:
    BirdieM:wink:

Thanks, Birdie - I needed the encouragement. Particularly the hang in there with us - the with us is the part that I was lacking. I don't know why when I get discouraged I just want to crawl in a hole rather than talk to you all, who are so encouraging. It seems counterintuitive. But the good news is that I am back! Here's to smart choices!
  • kcfva122
    Options
    Good morning, all,

Seems like I only manage to get here on weekends now, and I've been wondering where everybody was this morning, forgot that I'm on the East coast and most everyone else is west of here.

It has been raining here for 5 days but we are fortunate not to have been hit with the flooding that other parts of the state have had. (I've been diligently walking in the rain in my slicker :ohwell: )

Rosemary, I hope that you haven't been hit with the flooding. All that wind and rain can get a little scary.

My weight loss has slowed down to a crawl now. This morning should have showed a pound down. If I sneak up on the scale and step on it veeeerrrrry gently I can see a half pound loss. But anyway I feel better and I can swear that my clothes feel different.

I'll be checking in throughout the day today to see what everybody is up to. I'm spending the day at home, doing laundry, cooking, cleaning, and maybe looking ahead to Christmas shopping ideas.

Cheers, everyone, enjoy your morning coffee (or tea),

:drinker:

Karen
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :love: Now how about sharing some exercise tips/tricks that work for you? :flowerforyou:

We've all heard the old adage: "The best exercise is the one you'll DO!"

Something I learned by reading the October issue of Women's Health is to eat a snack size box of raisins, or the equivalent of some other dried fruit about 15 minutes before beginning my workout. Not that many calories or carbs, but enough to give you lots of energy for a really good workout. I've tried it and it is now a part of my exercise routine.

Also Leslie Sansone stresses the importance of being fully hydrated 30 minutes BEFORE you begin your workout. So drink, drink, drink that water girls! :drinker:

My masseuse/trainer is appalled at the number of folks who push themselves too hard and injure themselves doing strength training. He says when doing strength training to do only as many reps as it takes to make that muscle burn ~ then do 5 more. THAT is the perfect number. Also, that women our age should never use a weight over 8 lbs for flies; more is okay for curls and rows ~ unless they want to bulk up. His final piece of advice is that "women in our age bracket" should only do strength training 2-3 times a week.

YOUR TURN!
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    :smile: Rosemary: Congrats on your son's wedding and have a wonderful time.

:smile: Susan and Barb: With my lack of self control I never thought I'd see the 130's again. So believe me, if I did it, YOU can do it too.

:smile: NanaPami: So people ACTUALLY USE those exercise rooms at the hotels ??? :laugh: :laugh:
    Good for you !!

:smile: Mary: I know it's frustrating when medication makes you gain weight. Kuddos to you for not giving up and losing those "medicine lbs".

Congrats to all the rest for your dedication and determination. TOGETHER WE CAN DO THIS !!!!
  • kcfva122
    Options
    Good morning, Suezzzque,

Look like we posted moments apart.

I exercise first thing in the morning because that's when I'll DO it!

I do it all at home to save money and time. I have a weight bench, some free weights, an exercise ball, a jumprope and some exercise bands, and lots and lots of exercise books and articles from health magazines like Prevention and others.

Every day I start with some calisthenics or yoga or weights, something different every day. Then I go out for my walk, as long a walk as I can manage and still get a shower and breakfast before going to work. I listen to a mystery audiobook as I walk.

Used to be that I would do the calisthenics OR the walk, but now I do both. I get up at 5:00 so I can get my exercise in, and if I happen to wake up before the alarm, I go ahead and get up so I can get a few extra minutes in.

I actually enjoy the exercising now, where I used to dread it.

BTW, Suezzzque, what part of Texas are you in?

Karen
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    BTW, Suezzzque, what part of Texas are you in?

Karen

West Texas; Lubbock is the nearest big city.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,
    Sounds like you are all having a great Saturday. Well I think the early morning routine is a habit. Kenneth was not home last night. he had to go on a job. I had decided that I would go work out this morning but not quite as early. Well guess what. I woke up at 5 am and could not go back to sleep. So I got up and went to the gym. Then went to breakfast with daughter and granddaughter. Then we went to downtown festival to look around and watch other granddaughter, then went to other granddaughters basketball game. Kenneth got in just in time for game and now he is watching tv and I am playing on computer while transferring some video to DVD. May go to gym again later if he wants to.
    Susie, my exercise tips are just to do something, no matter how much or how little. Anything is better than nothing. I love going to the gym because it challenges me. But I also love walking, mowing lawn, riding my bike. Kenneth and I love the walk whenever we are out of town. I own a lot of videos but cannot get into them lately. I do weights every day but do different areas. I do legs one day and arms the other day. I dont do heavy weights. I do it a few after it feels hard. I find I am not getting bulky but getting very lean. I think you just have to find what you like and do it until you get bored or dont like it then find something else to do.
    Hope you have a great weekend ladies. The weather here is just great.
    Vicki M