Is it rude...

Options
167891012»

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be a bad person and I'm sure to raise a lot of eyebrows but....What's the divorce rate in America now? Over 50% I believe? And yet in this broke *kitten* economy weddings have become such an overblown self indulgent narcissistic affair in our country. From destination weddings to an example like this...a gift opening party. Why the hell would anyone want to sit around and watch you open your gifts?! I would not feel obligated at all to go, even if I was in the wedding party. The wedding festivities ended with the reception. The day after belongs to you. It's a long distance you've traveled and I'm sure put out a pretty penny for! Visit your family and Grandparents, life is short, they won't be around for ever. And I'm sure if your friend who is getting married is a really good friend she will understand this and if she doesn't..........
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Traditions are over-rated...
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say that I've never heard of it.. and I personally find it *really* tacky and rude. Wow... I wouldn't go to something like that whether I was a bridesmaid or not, but then again, I don't know anyone who would think it's a good idea to organize one, either.

^^This. Not to be harsh to the bride, but that sounds like a really rude thing to do with wedding gifts. Besides how many days does she expect you to be hostage to "her day", lol. Say thanks but no thanks and go see your family. It's definitely not rude to not attend every single event.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    IMO - asking people to watch you open gifts is rude. Lol. I'm just do not into wedding crap. Just tell them you'd like to spend that day with your family.

^^^ what she says.
  • elenathegreat
    Options
    I just figured out what "IMO" means, and I'm pretty excited about that. That is all.

Well could you please tell me, then? I just realized I quoted someone and I don't know what it means...derp.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I just figured out what "IMO" means, and I'm pretty excited about that. That is all.

Well could you please tell me, then? I just realized I quoted someone and I don't know what it means...derp.

IMO = in my opinion :)
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options

In my opinion. That's what it means.... I'm not going to offer my opinion about what it means. Although I guess that is my opinion.

IMO, it means "in my opinion".
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be a bad person and I'm sure to raise a lot of eyebrows but....What's the divorce rate in America now? Over 50% I believe? And yet in this broke *kitten* economy weddings have become such an overblown self indulgent narcissistic affair in our country. From destination weddings to an example like this...a gift opening party. Why the hell would anyone want to sit around and watch you open your gifts?! I would not feel obligated at all to go, even if I was in the wedding party. The wedding festivities ended with the reception. The day after belongs to you. It's a long distance you've traveled and I'm sure put out a pretty penny for! Visit your family and Grandparents, life is short, they won't be around for ever. And I'm sure if your friend who is getting married is a really good friend she will understand this and if she doesn't..........

Eyebrow not raised. I feel this same exact way about weddings a lot. When they get really demanding, are asking for really expensive stuff, or are getting really elaborate I can't help but think exactly what you said.
  • elenathegreat
    Options

IMO = in my opinion :)

Thank you veddy much:bigsmile:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    You said you are in the wedding. As in bridesmaid? I think if you weren't in the wedding, you could skip it. But if you are in the wedding party- I think you should go as much as that sucks.

Agree 1 million percent.

You are in the wedding....hate it or not, you are going to have to suck it up and go this time.

Weddings are unique circumstances, in which what YOU want does not matter in the least.

Agreed. You agreed to it, didn't you?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You said you are in the wedding. As in bridesmaid? I think if you weren't in the wedding, you could skip it. But if you are in the wedding party- I think you should go as much as that sucks.

Agree 1 million percent.

You are in the wedding....hate it or not, you are going to have to suck it up and go this time.

Weddings are unique circumstances, in which what YOU want does not matter in the least.

Totally disagree with this Bridzilla mentality!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Agree 1 million percent.

Weddings are unique circumstances where two people express their love and affection for each other in a celebration that is supposed to be actual FUN for invited guest -- not an opportunity to force friends and family to play fantasy tea party for 3 consecutive days. She agreed to be a bride's maid, not a slave. All celebrations and parties end with the wedding day. This is something that was sprung on the OP well AFTER she agreed to be a bride's maid.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options

Agree 1 million percent.

No she didn't.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Agree 1 million percent.

Totally disagree with this Bridzilla mentality!!

Its funny. I am getting married in September. My sister /MOH (maid of honor) recently got a new job and unfortunately my schedule and hers does not allow for one of us to attend my bachelorette. I have told others i would rather not have a bachelorette without my sister and I keep getting the "its your day" thing when I say that. No one listens when I say no b party because they want a b party I detest the its your day thing. It stops being all about you when you invite people to join the celebration.

The present opening party IS a regional thing in some parts of the US ( based on my time spent on wedding etiquette boards) which is likelynwhy some have heard of it and not others. It doesnt make it less valid. It is also something i have seen here, in Eastern Canada. Here, it is always just anither family/close friend get together and not about showing off. While I am choosing not to have one, none of the ones I have been to have been about that, hard to explain i guess. I have also skipped a fair number.

To the OP - my advice would be - an invitation is not a summons. Decline politely. Any normal bride would understand.

ETA - the requirements of a bridesmaid requiring showing up on time on the wedding day, sober, grooming (not professionally) and in the dress requested by the bride. That is it. throwing parties and attendance at such parties are nice, but optional.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    It is rude IF you didnt discuss it with the bride beforehand ..

I agree with that. I think if you just let her know the situation then she'd be fine with it. And if she got upset with your for wanting to spend time with family and aging grandparents then she's a selfish witch. But it would be rude if you just didn't show up without talking to the bride.

I mean really...it's just opening presents and pretending to see what somebody else is getting...it's not that entertaining...
  • xSinfulUndeadx
    Options
    No thats definitely not being rude. You have a valid reason for skipping. Just let your friend know.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    You were *invited* thats all. Dont sweat it! If its a larger wedding they probably wont even notice. lol!
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    As much as I loathe the idea of people throwing a gift-opening party, I think since you're a bridesmaid you should attend. It sucks, I know, but that's what I would do. I would think it's stupid, but I would go. That being said, as soon as that last gift is opened I'd bolt! You'll still have Sunday evening with family.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    What the heck is a gift opening party?? Isn't that what a pre-wedding shower is for? Sounds like a stupid thing designed to make everyone give even better gifts since they'll be opened in "public".