Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Replies

• AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    i just typed a long reply and then the thread locked, but i see its now continued here:)

When you cook until dry, are they crunchy?

Hoping i can find them (no Asian markets anywhere near me) and hoping i like them too, and that mine dont come out rubbery as many have mentioned.

Thanks for the detailed post!
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    need to come back to this later
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    I am going to try these now... :) Thanks!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    i just typed a long reply and then the thread locked, but i see its now continued here:)

When you cook until dry, are they crunchy?

Hoping i can find them (no Asian markets anywhere near me) and hoping i like them too, and that mine dont come out rubbery as many have mentioned.

Thanks for the detailed post!

No, they never get crunchy! They hold their shape and stay flexible. The texture just improves a bit.

-Chelle
  • kdaughertyfp
    kdaughertyfp Posts: 49 Member
    I found them at a local heath food store. I was so excited to try them and did. I finshed them but must admit I the texture thing is not for me. I fried / cooked them for a long time. There was little or no taste to the noodle which was great but it was squishy, I felt like I was eating octopus. Now saying that I have never had octopus to really compare it too but that is all I could think of. I hope others find this a good replacement for noodles.
  • finallychelle
    I found them at a local heath food store. I was so excited to try them and did. I finshed them but must admit I the texture thing is not for me. I fried / cooked them for a long time. There was little or no taste to the noodle which was great but it was squishy, I felt like I was eating octopus. Now saying that I have never had octopus to really compare it too but that is all I could think of. I hope others find this a good replacement for noodles.

They're pretty bland if you don't add something flavorful to them. You should check out my recipes and you'll see what I mean.

A scrambled egg, a little bit of meat, some onion, garlic and bean sprouts will go a long way toward making you feel good about these!
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Hi, many Whole Foods Stores have the Miracle Noodle shirataki noodles which I use. There's a website at www.miraclenoodle.com/storelocator.aspx where you put your zip code in and you can find out where there is a store that carries them near where you live. I add them to so many dishes especially soups and stirfrys. Hope this helps!
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Hi, Also you can order on Amazon.com or on their website www.miraclenoodle.com if there is not a store nearby..
  • finallychelle

Great blog post!

I hope you saved us some!

-Chelle
  • dcinthesummer
    dcinthesummer Posts: 55 Member
    Do the noodles raise blood sugar?
  • Jinfir
    Jinfir Posts: 3 Member
    Bump
  • finallychelle
    Do the noodles raise blood sugar?

I'm no expert on blood sugar, but they're ultra low carb (at zero calories they'd HAVE to be) so I wouldn't think they would...
  • If you go to the Miracle Noodle website and look under "recipes" you can download their 87-page book of recipes free during the month of July.
  • edessad
    edessad Posts: 91 Member
    I just tried these for the first time. Didn't do anything special with them, just boiled them as the pack directed and added them to some Diet Chef meatballs. Although the texture is different from normal noodles I found them more than satisfactory.

I will try the dry fry method next as well as some of the recipes mentioned in this post but I can see me and these noodles having a long time love affair.:heart::smile:
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    I tried them for the first time today and they were soooo good.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    chelle, shirataki noodles with a meatless stroganoff sauce i made was so delicious. i usually make them as a stir fry but i decided to branch out. also they are good with just salsa added too. yum! i wish i had a stock pile of them
  • While they are in the collander rinsing, I cut them so they are bite sized. Makes each bite much easier - no slurping whole noodles.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    I finally tried these and found them to be utterly disgusting. :-( The texture is horrible. I'm going to stick to regular pasta. Mostly whole wheat.
  • I made the Low Carb Whoopie Pies at Skinny Dip Noodles and they turned out OK. The cookies aren't as firm as I would like, but I'm going to keep playing with the recipe. Maybe add a little more cocoa powder or a whole egg instead of egg whites? I like that the cookies were only 9 calories! I'm trying to be strict against junk food so these were a nice treat.