PSU Punishment...

Options

Replies

• jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This was kept secret in order to protect the PSU/Joe Pa legacy. And of course the cover up undid it all.
    There is no winner in this ordeal.

This exactly. If the football program hadn't been more important than doing what's right... I'm sickened by how many people view JoePa as a hero still. He committed a heinous crime by ignoring what was going on. If it had been Professor So-and-so from the Physics department who turned a blind eye to abuse, would anyone be in an uproar?

But it sucks for the athletes currently attending PSU, and unless that $60mil goes to those who were abused... what does any of it change?

I agree with if this was the science department would they take away achievements earned? prob not.

I dont see how taking away the wins has anything to do with this. Its not like knowledge of children being raped made the team play any better or Joe a better coach.
    Joe was a talented coach with poor moral character, and it really is irrelevant.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Appropriate or not?

$60,000,000 fine
    4 year bowl ban
    Scholarships lost

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/us/pennsylvania-penn-state-ncaa/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(to all my PSU friends on here, I'm sorry. This sucks)

They needed the Death Penalty quite honestly.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Not. This is punishing PLAYERS for illegal behaviors of coaches. Those students did nothing wrong, and the ones who are already at or committed to PSU did nothing wrong. I also don't think it is appropriate for the NCAA to dole out punishment for illegal activities not related to sports, that is what the judicial system is for.
  • Spanntastic12
    Options
    Very appropriate. The acts in themselves...sickening. That officials covered it up...horrible. He used his position and connections with the program to facilitate meeting and bringing in new boys to his program. And people in the program just let it go. I'm very sorry that the players and staff who had nothing to do with this have to pay for it, but the university/football program heads should have taken action when they were made aware.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    They covered up child abuse! Child rape! They deserve much worse!

^^This
  • leanandmean2012
    leanandmean2012 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    They should have gotten the DEATH PENALTY. Sandusky raped boys for 14 yrs and everyone knew about it. SMU got tha death penalty for paying players. Guess that's more important then child safety. SMH
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Not. This is punishing PLAYERS for illegal behaviors of coaches. Those students did nothing wrong, and the ones who are already at or committed to PSU did nothing wrong. I also don't think it is appropriate for the NCAA to dole out punishment for illegal activities not related to sports, that is what the judicial system is for.
    The punishment is not in response to Jerry Sandusky's crimes, but for breaking the NCAA bylaw of losing institutional control. I don't think anyone would argue that Penn State lost institutional control when Joe Paterno, Graham Spanier, et. al, decided that the football program and the money that it brought in was bigger than the university's name.
    -wtk
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Appropriate or not?

$60,000,000 fine
    4 year bowl ban
    Scholarships lost

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/us/pennsylvania-penn-state-ncaa/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Appropriate or not?

$60,000,000 fine
    4 year bowl ban
    Scholarships lost

You do know that this punishment is much worse, right?
    "death penalty" doesn't mean ending a program forever.
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I agree that penalties should be harsh, but I disagree with vacating the wins.....How exactly did they cheat at football? Those wins were still deserved regardless of what was happening off the field.......
  • AllyC_804
    AllyC_804 Posts: 32
    Options
    punishing the students is not going to "fix" what Sandusky did. its just punishing kids who had nothing to do with it.

to me, there is no right or wrong punishment here, what happened was unspeakable and really just sad.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    The punishment fits the crime. The best part about it is that PSU took down the Paterno statue. He was clearly a d-bag who let the power get to him
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    Considering this is a state school that receives money from taxpayers, I am not a fan of the $60,000,000 fine.
  • Puddles0308
    Options
    don't forget negating the wins from 1998-2011. that i think is the hardest part of the punishment. everything else seems fair.

I have to agree, I'd even accept and welcome harsher punishments than those instituted on the forthcoming side (fines, bowl bans, etc.); but the negation of the football wins makes little sense to me. How does this scandal make the wins of those games illegitimate? I suppose I don't oppose Joe having his title stripped from him, but it seems a bizarre punishment that primarily targets the players on the team rather than the administration.
    This
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options

Agree^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    May this be a stark reminder to ALLLL mandated reporters in our society! Not just those in the medical, legal and educational fields, we are all able to report suspician and protect those that are more helpless, the young and the elderly!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    punishing the students is not going to "fix" what Sandusky did. its just punishing kids who had nothing to do with it.

to me, there is no right or wrong punishment here, what happened was unspeakable and really just sad.

No punishment ever undoes a crime. But this sure as hell will make other schools think twice about covering something like this up ever again.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot of details about this situation, so excuse my ignorance, why are they removing scholarships?
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If I were king, I would ban Penn State from any football, not competitive, not recreational. I'd tear down the stadium and make it a dog park.