What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    My mom's family is 100% Norwegian and my dad's family is a European hodgepodge of mostly French, Austrian, and German. I ended up with curly dark hair, dark eyes and olive skin.

Most often people think I'm Hispanic (less often now that I've become a sunscreen fanatic), but I've also gotten Italian and Jewish.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm Mauritian, but no one would guess that in a million years

So I always get (in this order): Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Afghani, Sri Lankan, Moroccan, Tunisian, Iranian, Iraqi, South African, Kenyan, Brazilian(?!), and on a couple of occasions Peruvian, because people have given up at that point :laugh:

I live in an area where everyone's Eastern European, black and asian, so I suppose I have to fall into one of those ethnicities lol
    Wow, you are stunning!

Cheers! So are you :)
  • exquisite1996
    Options
    Hmm good question! Although I am a mixture of Native American, and Black, I know that it is more because my mom spoke Creole. I had a few Somalians ask if I was from Somalia. I actually get that a lot. Its a big compliment to me because I think they are beautiful people! I'd also had a guy ask me if I was from Trinidad. Oh and I wasn't offended by your question in any way. Love the dialogue! :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You'd think a boring white girl wouldn't get mistaken for anything, but at least twice people have assumed I was Russian.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE I meet asks me if I am italian.
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    I am hispanic-german mixed... have been mistaken for Arabic, Italian, Dominican, Indian, and Native American.
  • CAW210
    CAW210 Posts: 73
    Options
    I have dark hair, eyes and olive skinned due to Indian in my blood but have always been mistaken for Hispanic but at one point I was asked if I had any Middle Eastern in me....that was a first.
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think this post shows how much the human race is related...

This article is interesting to read. It shows you why some people get called other races.. Like Dominicans being called black... (They do have African Ancestry) so it makes sense.......and how Brasillian isn't a race just like American isn't... etc. etc...

http://blog.world-mysteries.com/science/how-many-major-races-are-there-in-the-world/
  • stuckinsecond
    Options
    I swear my parents just wanted to make life as difficult as possible some times.

With a name like Sven, not only do I stick out like a sore thumb (and half look nordic), I constantly have to prove both that that is in fact my real name and that I am a fourth generation Aussie.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    It's never come up. I do get the occassional person that thinks I might be a redneck. I'm from So Cal and pretty far from being a redneck. A lot of people think I might be a biker. How astute.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I am an Irish/German/French mix, but absolutely everyone assumes that I am Israeli/Jewish. Everyone. To the point of well wishing on holidays, asking me to explain Passover, etc...
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am an Irish/German/French mix, but absolutely everyone assumes that I am Israeli/Jewish. Everyone. To the point of well wishing on holidays, asking me to explain Passover, etc...

I bet it's because... from looking at your picture you have curly hair and olive skin... That is possibly from the Mediterranean in you (French).. I think you are adorable... :)
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    im potuguese and italian. but people always say i look irish.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My dad's family is mostly German, with one Scottish great-great grandma (Glasgow). My mom's side is German and Welsh.

I have only one or two living relatives that even speak German (I got it from school) but most people tell me I look it. And with family names like Hasselmann and Pankopf... Well. :laugh:
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    indian, native american, iranian arab, french, italian, portugeuse... all of that except what I am & that's mexican. but, i just consider myself a Texan.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Italian and im Puerto Rican.
  • cllovesdw4eva
    Options
    Im a damn mutt....so most of the time if you assign me to being either African American, Native American, Latino, with some Caucasian thrown in for good measure, you are probably right. I am a walking UN meeting.

But what freaked me out was a couple of weeks ago, an East Indian female clerk about half my age told me I looked East Indian. I dont even have straight hair..................so in my own occassionally narcisstic mind I took it as she thought I was hot stuff
    *poppin my colla*
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    White, but i'm Hispanic.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    People always think I'm caucasian.

Get it right people, I'm actually white. I'm not part asian. D'uh.

**note sarcasm**
  • Annitte
    Annitte Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well I'm Cherokee, Chickasaw, African American,Caucasian with some Hispanic and Asian.... But I'm 100% Human and born in the USA!! I have butter almond skin! and when I let my hair grow longer! people always think I'm, Hawaiian.. I'm not offended in the least! :glasses: