Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I love it when it all gets down to athlete pics to "prove" that BMI does not work for us common people. The sad truth is that for most of us, at a BMI of 25 or even 24 or for many 23, we are not looking that good any more. The fact that there are lots of people in whatever country one might be who are very overweight, it really does not change anything.

Reese Witherspoon is supposedly at a 25 bmi, Tom Cruise is at 26. they look pretty good to me, and would still look good with a few more pounds. ashley graham comes in at 29 and i would not kick her out of bed; same with denise bidot. these arbitrary lines in the sand are sad.

personally, i tend more towards sapio-sexual considerations than i am concerned whether my partner is carrying extra weight. if it's a health concern, if it inhibits sex drive (not performance, but obesity can impact that too) then i would address those issues with him, but the aesthetics aren't a driving force for me. **unless we're talking tinder.

And this is why there are no rules in preferences and there is also maybe some cultural influence about what is normal or going a step further, desirable. You finding Ashley Graham or Denise Bidot (had to look them up I admit) looking good is awesome for you and for anyone who feels this way. I cannot talk about sexual attraction as I am not bisexual, but I would have felt pretty awful for myself if my body looked like this. Different people have different ideas about what is beautiful and sexy. And this is ok, it is not a crime or a moral issue.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    I have no idea where the Reese Witherspoon BMI came from, googling her gives me something around 20, which looks far more reasonable: http://www.celeb-height-weight.psyphil.com/reese-witherspoon-height-and-weight-how-tall/
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have no idea where the Reese Witherspoon BMI came from, googling her gives me something around 20, which looks far more reasonable: http://www.celeb-height-weight.psyphil.com/reese-witherspoon-height-and-weight-how-tall/

Same people who claim Marilyn Monroe was a modern size 12 and fat.

They use a picture of her taken while she was pregnant and ignore her actual measurements to try to obfuscate. She was actually 5'5" tall and her measurements were 36-24-34 and at her heaviest her waist measurement was 28.5" and weighed 117 pounds when she died.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

And in your story? This is not love, sorry. It is a confused guy looking for a partner, a friend, a companion. But being "in love" requires sexual attraction to start with. I am not saying it is all about the attraction. But without it, it is not "in love". It is a close friend, a soulmate even, but not a lover.

Maybe I'm just too old and too married to understand.

I came to that conclusion about this thread for myself a long time ago :neutral:
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

it came from google, but my point was not that reese witherspoon's bmi is accurately reported on the internet, my point (again) is that bmi isn't something tattooed on your forehead - you can't look at someone and say "oh *kitten*, she's a 23 and i don't go above 22." bonus fact -people can look really good above a 22, (if you don't like reese find another example). so setting bmi as a cut off for attraction is silly. you don't have to be attracted to people who look like ashley graham or denise bidot either. you do you boo.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Honestly? This person has made one of the most common mistakes and his story has nothing to do with the question in your OP. He did not have a partner who changed. He chose a partner believing he could change her. Which is alwaya a terrible idea, because people do not change. It is the most common sad story:
    - Start dating a guy who parties all night, and think your influence will turn him into a model husband
    - Marry someone with no ambition, and wonder why he has not matured and is not pursuing a different career path after marriage
    - Have kids with someone who is always swearing/drinking/smoking, and be upset he is not magically transformed into a model dad.
    And so on...

And in your story? This is not love, sorry. It is a confused guy looking for a partner, a friend, a companion. But being "in love" requires sexual attraction to start with. I am not saying it is all about the attraction. But without it, it is not "in love". It is a close friend, a soulmate even, but not a lover.

I said after reading this it inspired this thread... And that is should you have a say so in your S.O./Spouse's weight if too large or too thin.
    ----
    We have different ideas and definitions of 'in love'....so I disagree with you on requiring a sexual attraction.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    is this a case of - the more people have going for them, the more preferences they hold?

Just a thought.

So your suggestion is that only someone without stuff going for them would stay with a spouse who gained a few lbs and became a 25 BMI?

Because no one in this thread has actually been talking about initial attraction.

The higher your market value the more you can be picky yourself. It's how the whole thing works.

how high is your market value
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    maxhan231 wrote: »
    maxhan231 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    is this a case of - the more people have going for them, the more preferences they hold?

Just a thought.

So your suggestion is that only someone without stuff going for them would stay with a spouse who gained a few lbs and became a 25 BMI?

Because no one in this thread has actually been talking about initial attraction.

The higher your market value the more you can be picky yourself. It's how the whole thing works.

So in your world, market value is determined solely by outward appearance and BMI.

Right, not how much money you make, the genetics you bring to the table, intelligence, good character, pleasant to be around...?

And apparently this so called market value is objective?

In any case, market value seems like a strange phrase. Unless you're trying to pay a competitive rate for a hooker

did you say that out loud. lol

Just saying that's what it sounds like to me :lol: I don't pick up girls like a cut of meat at the market, so I don't think of women I date in terms of market value. So the thought seems strange to me :lol:

i hear you. :)
  • LKArgh
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

----
    We have different ideas and definitions of 'in love'....so I disagree with you on requiring a sexual attraction.

May I ask then what is the difference between being in love and having a close friend or even brotherly love? I have a couple of female friends and a guy friend I am very comfortable with, have very many things in common, can openly talk to them, have common interests. One of my girl friends, I could very easily see myself living together, knowing she will be there for me whenever I needed her, us never ever getting on each other's nerves, having common interests, from professional interests to books we read to the kind of gym we would use, we laugh together, we understand each other, we have shared things no one else knows, and this friendship has lasted decades, many times long distance. Still, I am not "in love" with her, because I am not attracted to women. As having sex is not something that was ever an option. If I was single (she currently is) I could totally see myself moving in with her and knowing I could never ask for a better roommate/companion/"adopted" family. But, we are not in love, the thought is as disgusting as asking me if I am in love with my brother.
    How do you define being in love, without attraction? I am not asking if a marriage is possible without attraction, it sure is, it was/is the norm for extended periods of time in human history at different places and cultures. But chosing a husband because he can provide, or because he has a sense of humour, or because he treats you good, without any desire to have sex with him, this is not being in love, is it?
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

----

May I ask then what is the difference between being in love and having a close friend or even brotherly love? I have a couple of female friends and a guy friend I am very comfortable with, have very many things in common, can openly talk to them, have common interests. One of my girl friends, I could very easily see myself living together, knowing she will be there for me whenever I needed her, us never ever getting on each other's nerves, having common interests, from professional interests to books we read to the kind of gym we would use, we laugh together, we understand each other, we have shared things no one else knows, and this friendship has lasted decades, many times long distance. Still, I am not "in love" with her, because I am not attracted to women. As having sex is not something that was ever an option. If I was single (she currently is) I could totally see myself moving in with her and knowing I could never ask for a better roommate/companion/"adopted" family. But, we are not in love, the thought is as disgusting as asking me if I am in love with my brother.
    How do you define being in love, without attraction? I am not asking if a marriage is possible without attraction, it sure is, it was/is the norm for extended periods of time in human history at different places and cultures. But chosing a husband because he can provide, or because he has a sense of humour, or because he treats you good, without any desire to have sex with him, this is not being in love, is it?

You said sexual attraction. That's what I disagree on.