site tells me to eat almost 3k cals a day,,,but I eat half that and still dont loose

Options

Replies

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at sedentary also. 3,000 calories seems like alot. 2,000 should be max.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like the O.P. is trolling just to start an argument. He doesn't want answers. He just wants to argue with anyone who responds regardless of what they say.
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Humm....so if I say 140 pounds is where I want to be...dont add in my exercise??? man I'd be burning half of what I eat and probably have no energy???
  • cvcman
    Options
    Well maybe not...that would be like 2100...but I bet I'm still under that most days a week...plus again I do cardio 7 days a week....and not walking cardio...lol also weights and work
  • cvcman
    Options
    Jnv....dont reply then...its really that easy
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'd guess you pegged it.
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    Looks to me like the O.P. is trolling just to start an argument. He doesn't want answers. He just wants to argue with anyone who responds regardless of what they say.

• shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I don't eat ANY oatmeal. And I'm overweight. Must be why I'm losing weight and YOU'RE NOT. BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA :)
  • cvcman
    Options
    Shai....i won't waste my time replying to you....you are really not worth the effort :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    i'd guess you pegged it.
    jnv7594 wrote: »

I already said this, where's my credit? ;(
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Don't eat back your exercise calories.
    this is the appropriate method if utilizing TDEE method, as your intake already takes into account average exercise. This is the incorrect way to do it if utilizing net method, which the website is designed to do automatically.
    The "method" my doctor & dietician use is this:
    find a healthy goal weight based on BMI
    multiply that by 10
    eat that many calories

If someone is starting off very heavy (more than 100 lb overweight), so that method #1 would result in a drop of more than 1000 cal per day, they do this:
    multiply your current weight by 10
    subtract 1000
    eat that many calories
    as you lose weight, adjust calories downward until you get to (healthy goal weight) x 10

When I first started, method #2 was about 100 cal more than method #1 for me.
    Now I'm using the simple way, though I'm thinking about tweaking it down by 50 cal or so. Still a healthy goal weight.

Note that this is for _losing_ weight.
    Maintaining will take 13 - 15 cal per lb, depending on activity level.

That method would certainly not be healthy for everyone. I lose weight rapidly at 1500-1600 NET, so I cannot even imagine how my body would react to 1300 calories a day with my goal being 130Ibs, at 5'10.
    And if someone short has a goal of 98 Ibs, they should be existing on 980 calories per day ?

• DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    I've not looked at your diary, but might you be over exercising as compared to the amount of food you eat? Some folks can't lose because they do not have enough of a deficit. Some folks can't lose because they have too large a deficit?

That's such a ridiculous thing to say....."Some folks can't lose because they have too large a deficit"........how many fat Ethiopians in 1984?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Don't eat back your exercise calories.
    this is the appropriate method if utilizing TDEE method, as your intake already takes into account average exercise. This is the incorrect way to do it if utilizing net method, which the website is designed to do automatically.
    The "method" my doctor & dietician use is this:
    find a healthy goal weight based on BMI
    multiply that by 10
    eat that many calories

If someone is starting off very heavy (more than 100 lb overweight), so that method #1 would result in a drop of more than 1000 cal per day, they do this:
    multiply your current weight by 10
    subtract 1000
    eat that many calories
    as you lose weight, adjust calories downward until you get to (healthy goal weight) x 10

When I first started, method #2 was about 100 cal more than method #1 for me.
    Now I'm using the simple way, though I'm thinking about tweaking it down by 50 cal or so. Still a healthy goal weight.

Note that this is for _losing_ weight.
    Maintaining will take 13 - 15 cal per lb, depending on activity level.

If I were to do this method, I'd be eating 1500 to lose weight. I net 1880, eating up to 2100 with exercise. I've not had any issues losing weight. I am 20lbs from my goal.

A much better way would be to estimate your calorie maintenance needs from a website like exrx.net or health-calc.com and then, if being really good, eat maintenance for a few months. If you maintain, then drop 10-20% from that intake, recalculate every 10lbs lost. This is all to ensure you lose weight on as many calories as possible, making it easier to lower your intake as needed. This is especially important for those of us with body compositional goals in mind. This method can be done by including exercise into the calculation so that you eat the same daily, or without exercise so that you log and eat back exercise calories when exercising. Both shoudl provide a similar intake amount once you average out your week.

Again though, doctors are not educated in a way that gives them an authority for proper weight loss advice. Even dieticians are not all-knowing magical beings. I would personally use advice from a dietician simply for understanding how to balance my macro and micro intake, not for figuring out what my intake should be
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    cvcman wrote: »
    Shai....i won't waste my time replying to you....you are really not worth the effort :)
    Except that you did...

Time to go home, friend. You are literally sitting here replying to people. This thread has been going on for hours. I say we all ignore it from now on and let it die out.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    cvcman wrote: »
    male 5'8" maybe 5'7" tall weight about 140

Are you kidding me bud? A man that is 5'8 and weight's 140 lbs? What do you expect to lose? If you wanna lose weight cut off a frickin' leg.......I'm done with this trolling post, what a waste of time!
  • Beachedasbro
    Beachedasbro Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Cvcman, I have a vid for you.... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCNrK-n68CM :D
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Cvcman, I have a vid for you.... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCNrK-n68CM :D

lmao!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've only read page one so far, but.....

I don't know about the activity setting being set lower. I run 11 to 15 miles a week and heavy weight lift, have my activity level set to active, have a sit down job, and I've been maintaining for a good nine or so months now. When I was losing weight, I had to increase my activity level from sedentary to lightly active because the weight was coming off quicker than I wanted it to, and then up to active when I started maintenance because I was still losing weight and didn't want to.

It seems to me with all the exercise CV does, his activity level is just about right. Therefore, I happen to agree with the "more calories than you think" theory. I have a long history of eating more calorie than I think, especially when I used cups, spoons, hands, and eyeballs as measurement devices.

Also, the MFP database has so many inaccurate entries that it's not even funny. I often enter my own nutrition information under My Foods just to have the correct information. I also do a lot of nutrition data research so that I get the correct entries.

CV, hopefully you've decided to use the food scale and become more judicious with your logging, which would make everything I say here moot. B)
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't know why you want to lose any more weight? 140 pounds and 5' 8".... That's small, weak... If you are as active as you say, you need to eat more to lose more../ your metabolism is not working optimally with the little calories your consuming. If its telling you to eat 3k, then you should eat the 3k, just because you eat half the calories suggested doesn't mean you'll lose more weight faster... In fact the only weight you might lose is pure muscle weight. At your petite size you can't afford to lose any muscle...