site tells me to eat almost 3k cals a day,,,but I eat half that and still dont loose

Options

Replies

• MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me nostalgic about Honeylisabee... ALL the caps emphasis! The amount of useful advise being completely ignored and excuses thrown out left, right and centre! When do we get a fake poster as the wife? :smiley:
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    You are under an inaccurate estimate of 3k. Clearly, that is too much to lose on

You are not a special snowflake who breaks all laws of physics by not losing on a deficit. You are not creating a deficit. Since you THINK you are, one of 2 things is occurring. Either you're mislogging, or you're estimate of what you need is too high.

Someone posted an entirely rational sounding 1700 something for you for intake, but I haven't seen you acknowledge it yet, you seem stuck on this 3000 thing. That is too damn many.

I'm done watching you be combative. Take it or leave it. Fail or not, it's your choice.
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    caesar164 wrote: »
    I don't know why you want to lose any more weight? 140 pounds and 5' 8".... That's small, weak... If you are as active as you say, you need to eat more to lose more../ your metabolism is not working optimally with the little calories your consuming. If its telling you to eat 3k, then you should eat the 3k, just because you eat half the calories suggested doesn't mean you'll lose more weight faster... In fact the only weight you might lose is pure muscle weight. At your petite size you can't afford to lose any muscle...

Never said I wanted to loose more...pls. read first...and eating more isnt the answer to loosing
  • cvcman
    Options
    You are under an inaccurate estimate of 3k. Clearly, that is too much to lose on

You are not a special snowflake who breaks all laws of physics by not losing on a deficit. You are not creating a deficit. Since you THINK you are, one of 2 things is occurring. Either you're mislogging, or you're estimate of what you need is too high.

Someone posted an entirely rational sounding 1700 something for you for intake, but I haven't seen you acknowledge it yet, you seem stuck on this 3000 thing. That is too damn many.

I'm done watching you be combative. Take it or leave it. Fail or not, it's your choice.

You for sure don't or didn't read my diary....
  • cvcman
    Options
    This thread is making me nostalgic about Honeylisabee... ALL the caps emphasis! The amount of useful advise being completely ignored and excuses thrown out left, right and centre! When do we get a fake poster as the wife? :smiley:

The useful advise was never ignored...the unuseful was
  • cvcman
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    caesar164 wrote: »
    I don't know why you want to lose any more weight? 140 pounds and 5' 8".... That's small, weak... If you are as active as you say, you need to eat more to lose more../ your metabolism is not working optimally with the little calories your consuming. If its telling you to eat 3k, then you should eat the 3k, just because you eat half the calories suggested doesn't mean you'll lose more weight faster... In fact the only weight you might lose is pure muscle weight. At your petite size you can't afford to lose any muscle...

What?

Ya I know,lol
  • cvcman
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I've only read page one so far, but.....

I don't know about the activity setting being set lower. I run 11 to 15 miles a week and heavy weight lift, have my activity level set to active, have a sit down job, and I've been maintaining for a good nine or so months now. When I was losing weight, I had to increase my activity level from sedentary to lightly active because the weight was coming off quicker than I wanted it to, and then up to active when I started maintenance because I was still losing weight and didn't want to.

It seems to me with all the exercise CV does, his activity level is just about right. Therefore, I happen to agree with the "more calories than you think" theory. I have a long history of eating more calorie than I think, especially when I used cups, spoons, hands, and eyeballs as measurement devices.

Also, the MFP database has so many inaccurate entries that it's not even funny. I often enter my own nutrition information under My Foods just to have the correct information. I also do a lot of nutrition data research so that I get the correct entries.

CV, hopefully you've decided to use the food scale and become more judicious with your logging, which would make everything I say here moot. B)

Thank you
  • cvcman
    Options
    DerekVTX wrote: »
    cvcman wrote: »
    male 5'8" maybe 5'7" tall weight about 140

Are you kidding me bud? A man that is 5'8 and weight's 140 lbs? What do you expect to lose? If you wanna lose weight cut off a frickin' leg.......I'm done with this trolling post, what a waste of time!

I'm so glad you are done because you dont/cant read...I NEVER said I wanted to loose more weight....zeeez people READ
  • cvcman
    Options
    Shai....i won't waste my time replying to you....you are really not worth the effort :)
    Except that you did...

Time to go home, friend. You are literally sitting here replying to people. This thread has been going on for hours. I say we all ignore it from now on and let it die out.

I wish you would....funny how MOST of the people who actually read the post and had useful advise messaged me off this post...they also warned me about most of the pot stirring non-readers here....:)
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    So just scanning through this am I right in thinking:

OP doesn't want to lose weight
    OP isn't losing weight
    OP doesn't agree with MFP calories goal
    OP spends 8 pages being rude to everyone who tries to offer advice

If the goal is to let people know that MFP may not be accurate - thank you for letting us know (although it seems to work for 99.9% of people that use it properly)

If this is not the goal what is it you want?
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This thread is actually hilarious! Great entertainment.
  • cvcman
    Options
    well you missed a few things...OP was NOT rude to anyone that was not rude to him or people like Frob that found fault and said OP was NOT accurate with logging,,,,but then HE posts numbers for cals in dry oatmeal that even AFTER I posted the label he still kept spewing......I didnt post 8 pages,,,,I only respond to the pot stirring which I should have blown off as more of the "starvation" mode bs many spew....again,,,MOST of the REAL help was messaged to me OFF post...funny ha
  • cvcman
    Options
    DerekVTX wrote: »
    nill4me wrote: »
    I've not looked at your diary, but might you be over exercising as compared to the amount of food you eat? Some folks can't lose because they do not have enough of a deficit. Some folks can't lose because they have too large a deficit?

That's such a ridiculous thing to say....."Some folks can't lose because they have too large a deficit"........how many fat Ethiopians in 1984?

Yea....you REALLY need to sort out what people post on this site...much of it is hype
  • cvcman
    Options
    Cvcman, I have a vid for you.... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCNrK-n68CM :D

more useless junk...cute though :)
  • cvcman
    Options
    well...I eat 1 tablespoon dry...mixed with water ONLY and microwaved....and that just what I log...I NEVER drink soda...
    Hmm...my oatmeal says 40g dry is a serving.
    I just weighed out one table spoon and got 6g. 6g is roughly 23 calories. So 1 tbsp dry oatmeal is I would say between 20-25 calories.
    So your 2 tbsp of oat meal would be roughly 40 - 50 calories.

you must have different oatmeal than Frob...his has many more cals ,lol
  • cvcman
    Options
    frob23 wrote: »
    frob...EXPLAIN the VAST difference in 1 tablespoon of oatmeal and adding NO calorie water to that same 1 tablespoon...how does the water only make a VAST diff ???

One tablespoon of dry uncooked oatmeal is about 14g of oatmeal. When you add water, you end up with about 7 tablespoons of finished product. That's 60 calories for a dry TBS... spread over almost 7 TBS of cooked oatmeal (about 9 calories each).

To end up with a TBS of cooked oatmeal, you'd have to cook less than half a teaspoon (2.1g) of dry oatmeal with water. That would give you one cooked TBS of 9 calories.

The difference is the volume the same amount of calories takes up. Oatmeal, in case you didn't notice, expands when cooked. The same amount of calories takes up a lot more space. You're logging the cooked version, with the dry volume. You're massively under-estimating your calories. And that's just one food.

Your problem is bad logging. You need to log correctly before you claim you eat eating at a deficit and it's not working.

unreal...1 tablespoon dry is 6 grams ! I even posted the label for you....and you measure it DRY....if you have 6 grams dry...thats about 20 cals....now if you add water...its STILL 6 cals....there has to be someone that can explain this to you...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

OP isn't losing weight

If the goal is to let people know that MFP may not be accurate - thank you for letting us know (although it seems to work for 99.9% of people that use it properly)

yeah thats what i got... started reading on my way to work this morning... great entertainment!
  • cvcman
    Options

OP isn't losing weight

yeah thats what i got... started reading on my way to work this morning... great entertainment!

Glad you enjoyed it...no wonder most of these people are so touchy...tey dont get enough sleep...they are up all night reading my posts ! :)
  • cvcman
    Options
    so it was suggested I chg my goals to "sed" and dont log my exercise...this seems pretty silly as the site isnt set up this way but ok...I did it and it tells me to still eat over 1700 cals...now I WILL be doing my daily hard cardio 7 days a week...in addition I WILL be doing weights 3 times a week with resistance workout...in addition to that my job that IS alot of walking and carrying boxes,tools etc....but im not going to log that ??? makes zero sense
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    frob23 wrote: »
    frob...EXPLAIN the VAST difference in 1 tablespoon of oatmeal and adding NO calorie water to that same 1 tablespoon...how does the water only make a VAST diff ???

One tablespoon of dry uncooked oatmeal is about 14g of oatmeal. When you add water, you end up with about 7 tablespoons of finished product. That's 60 calories for a dry TBS... spread over almost 7 TBS of cooked oatmeal (about 9 calories each).

To end up with a TBS of cooked oatmeal, you'd have to cook less than half a teaspoon (2.1g) of dry oatmeal with water. That would give you one cooked TBS of 9 calories.

The difference is the volume the same amount of calories takes up. Oatmeal, in case you didn't notice, expands when cooked. The same amount of calories takes up a lot more space. You're logging the cooked version, with the dry volume. You're massively under-estimating your calories. And that's just one food.

Your problem is bad logging. You need to log correctly before you claim you eat eating at a deficit and it's not working.

unreal...1 tablespoon dry is 6 grams ! I even posted the label for you....and you measure it DRY....if you have 6 grams dry...thats about 20 cals....now if you add water...its STILL 6 cals....there has to be someone that can explain this to you...

I don't think you quite understand what Frob is saying. I'll break it down;
    You're measuring the dry weight of oatmeal - 1 tablespoon (6g).
    You're actually logging cooked oatmeal.
    When you cook food, the weight/volume changes.
    Frob is trying to explain that if you really did have 1 tablespoon of cooked oatmeal, the dry weight will be much less.
    He is saying that 1 tablespoon of dry oatmeal will probably be '7 tablespoons' when cooked.
    If the pack gives nutritional info based on dry weight , you should measure and log dry weight.
    If the pack gives nutritional info based on cooked weight, you should measure and log cooked weight.

Do a test, weigh a tablespoon of dry oatmeal and then do the same when it's cooked and you will see the difference.

This 'argument' (or whatever you want to call it) is completely pointless. Just understand that your logging is innaccurate. Accept it, change it and move on.

It's even more pointless in the fact that you don't even want to lose weight! If you're maintaining doing what you're currently doing then there's no issue.

*End thread*