site tells me to eat almost 3k cals a day,,,but I eat half that and still dont loose

Options

Replies

• HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    cvcman wrote: »
    I've read this whole thread, and all I want to do is correct the spelling and grammar in every single one of the OP's posts.

^^this^^

go right ahead...and when these phone co's start making phones for man size fingers and not little girls fingers then you point would be better made !

I'm on my phone, and I'm a person of male persuasion, therefore using 'man size fingers' and I don't seem to have any issues... #justsaying
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    This has gotten really outrageous...

Can I ask, OP? Are you asking, because the "you should weigh _____ Lbs " under your food list, says you should be losing but you're not?

BINGO !!!!! Someone here CAN read,,,wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so where's the problem?

If you're happy with your weight, what you are eating, and are eating enough to sustain your health and activity level, what does it matter what it says? So somewhere the math is slightly off in your energy balance equation compared to what you think it should be based on the numbers, but you've found what works for you and you've found your maintenance calories. Why worry about it?

Ok,,,,one more time,,,,ill go sllloooowwwww,,,,,,pls try and grasp :) my point is/was other than some VERY slight errors in my logging entries....I logged my exercise, food etc...I eat WAY under what the site says I should be eating...now im being told..dont log exercise ...and put your goals in as sedentary not active...so.....why ? Shouldnt the site be accurate ? Shouldnt we be honest ? so I need to lie about exercise and lifestyle to come up with daily cals of 1500 to 1700 for somebody that works out 7 days a week ????

The site only gives you calculations based on the information you enter. I'm 5'7", F, 36, about 140 lbs, and the number I get as "lightly active," not counting exercise calories, is around 1700, which is pretty consistent with other calculators I've used. I exercise 6 days a week and end up around 2000 calories per day in reality to lose 1/2 lb per week, which is pretty consistent with what I would get from MFP if I was inputting exercise calorie burns and eating back calories.

So either the information you entered is way off to the point where it gives you 3000 calories, the calories you are logging for food or exercise are off, or there's a glitch in the system that's throwing off your account. Try double checking your account to make sure the settings are correct, or just switch over to the TDEE method. This is a good site for calculating your TDEE:

scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

ive been to Scooby;s before and do his workouts with the weights...when I log honest exercise and food and lifestyle NOT sedentary but active...it tells me to eat like 2900 AFTER exercise...even with errors in my food weights,,,I still DONT eat that much...and it keeps telling me ill weigh 127 pounds and Im not loosing weigh ( I dont really want to either ) or changing size...I wear a 3 waist pants and I could probably go to a 30....I dont go much by that either because I think the clothes co's put smaller size labels to make people feel better :)

Now what is your 6 day a week workout ? I do 6-8 miles or running a day at a 8 pace or sometimes a little better...I log at 8.5 pace because of cool down...I also bike 3 days a week at about 19mph pace on the road,,,14-16 on my mtn bike,,,min 1 hour,,,some days 2 or more hours...in addition,,,active job and lifestyle and weights and resistance stuff 3 days a week.....

So you are eating 2k a day ? Again curious your workout schd.

3 days a week I lift heavy weights. 3 days a week I run. I eat 2k a day.

Why would you log at a 8.5 pace for running because of cool down? If anything, the cool down would reduce your pace, not increase it. And logging 19 and 14-16 mph on your bike for the entire time would also throw off your calculations, as you are not maintaining that pace the entire time. It sounds like your averages are a bit off for your calorie burn estimations, which could be why your calories are calculating way too high.

No it wouldnt reduce my pace...if i run an 8 pace for 6 miles,,,then a cool down say 12 pace its not going to drop my avg to 7...again these are the numbers off my Garmin ....so an 8 pace is FASTER then an 8.5...thats an 8 minute mile or an 8-1/2 minute mile...and as for the biking...I always log at the LOWER avg,,,,again numbers from my Garmin...I understand that its hard to even tell real cals burned so they all are estimates

I read the 8 pace as being mph and not min, hence my comment, but even an 8 pace doesn't happen automatically. Your Garmin numbers are still going to be off, which is why people say to only eat back half of your exercise calories. But this still begs the question, if your activity is consistent and you're not trying to lose, why not just switch to TDEE and render all the exercise calorie estimations moot? It seems like you are getting overly invested in something that is really trivial in the big scheme of things, especially since you already know what works for you.
  • liltadertat
    liltadertat Posts: 19 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    How does it not make sense? WE did not create the site. WE just use it. If you DON'T want to lie then DON'T use it. If you don't want to lie AND still want to use the site, message a moderator of the site and ask THEM why the site is the way it is, don't ask us. Again, WE do not know why you have to LIE because WE did not create the damn site. You said and I quote, " ...it just doesnt seem like you should have to lie to get accurate numbers". Well hot damn, ask someone who knows the site better than the average user WHY YOU HAVE TO LIE. That's your problem, is it not? You want to know why the calculator told you to eat so much and you eat under that and are not losing weight? Ask a moderator. F your diary, F your activity level, ask a moderator because clearly we do not have the answer you are looking for. It's as simple as that.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    might not make any sense but that is the answer to your question- yes, some people need to "lie" to the site in order for the site's predictions to match their experience.

The site is based off of calculations that are generally accurate over the entire population. So if people actually fall on a bell curve for their BMR/RMR/TDEE/exercise burns and the like, then the calculations are going to be less accurate the closer you personally get to being an outlier on that curve.

I think the point of the site is to give a set of tools people can use to attempt to find what personally works for them. It really doesn't matter if someone tracks inaccurately (in terms of losing or maintaining at least), so long as the pattern of behavior they develop gets them their intended goals.

OP it seems you are in agreement that either the site is calculating wrong (for you) or your intake calories are reported too low or exercise is reported too high (or a combination). Once you rule out the latter two intake-related issues the only remaining option is site is calculating wrong for you (which it appears is your main point anyway).

Yes it is unfortunate that the site is just a guidepost, but since we don't have an easy way to measure personal numbers for each individual I guess that's the best one can expect from a free site designed to be used by thousands of people?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ok,,,,one more time,,,,ill go sllloooowwwww,,,,,,pls try and grasp :) my point is/was other than some VERY slight errors in my logging entries....I logged my exercise, food etc...I eat WAY under what the site says I should be eating...now im being told..dont log exercise ...and put your goals in as sedentary not active...so.....why ? Shouldnt the site be accurate ? Shouldnt we be honest ? so I need to lie about exercise and lifestyle to come up with daily cals of 1500 to 1700 for somebody that works out 7 days a week ????

People were trying to help you lose the site to lose, since that's usually why people post threads like yours.

You seem to think that your results show the site (and TDEE calculators, etc.) is inaccurate in general, but for most people they are pretty good approximations.

IF it is in fact true that you are as active as you say and eat 1500-1700 (in other words, that you aren't double counting exercise and your logging isn't way off), your metabolism is super slow which could be a medical issue or some kind of insane metabolic adaptation, I guess. If you aren't gaining weight and are happy with your lifestyle, no problem.

For the record, I'm 5'3, 140, a woman in my 40s, and at the same calories you report, with a desk job and exercise that seems no more than what you do at best, I lose about 1.5 lbs/week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    We get it, you are doing everything correctly and the MFP calculator doesn't work for you. We are all very sorry for your inconvenience. It's just a calculator. Lots of people use this site for the food log and ignore everything else. If you are happy with your diet, and happy with your weight, and happy with your exercise... congratulations, you don't have to worry about what some calculator on the internet tells you. Perhaps you should use the Contact Us link to complain to the MFP Powers That Be instead.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me nostalgic about Honeylisabee... ALL the caps emphasis! The amount of useful advise being completely ignored and excuses thrown out left, right and centre! When do we get a fake poster as the wife? :smiley:

IT WAS A CHEAT MEAL! WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO, GIVE UP MY CHEAT MEAL!?

• cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've read this whole thread, and all I want to do is correct the spelling and grammar in every single one of the OP's posts.

^^this^^

go right ahead...and when these phone co's start making phones for man size fingers and not little girls fingers then you point would be better made !

I'm on my phone, and I'm a person of male persuasion, therefore using 'man size fingers' and I don't seem to have any issues... #justsaying

im happy for you....and your point ? Other than trying to start trouble ?
  • cvcman
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    This thread is making me nostalgic about Honeylisabee... ALL the caps emphasis! The amount of useful advise being completely ignored and excuses thrown out left, right and centre! When do we get a fake poster as the wife? :smiley:

You need help,,,seriously
  • cvcman
    Options
    How does it not make sense? WE did not create the site. WE just use it. If you DON'T want to lie then DON'T use it. If you don't want to lie AND still want to use the site, message a moderator of the site and ask THEM why the site is the way it is, don't ask us. Again, WE do not know why you have to LIE because WE did not create the damn site. You said and I quote, " ...it just doesnt seem like you should have to lie to get accurate numbers". Well hot damn, ask someone who knows the site better than the average user WHY YOU HAVE TO LIE. That's your problem, is it not? You want to know why the calculator told you to eat so much and you eat under that and are not losing weight? Ask a moderator. F your diary, F your activity level, ask a moderator because clearly we do not have the answer you are looking for. It's as simple as that.

Go away
  • cvcman
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

People were trying to help you lose the site to lose, since that's usually why people post threads like yours.

You seem to think that your results show the site (and TDEE calculators, etc.) is inaccurate in general, but for most people they are pretty good approximations.

IF it is in fact true that you are as active as you say and eat 1500-1700 (in other words, that you aren't double counting exercise and your logging isn't way off), your metabolism is super slow which could be a medical issue or some kind of insane metabolic adaptation, I guess. If you aren't gaining weight and are happy with your lifestyle, no problem.

For the record, I'm 5'3, 140, a woman in my 40s, and at the same calories you report, with a desk job and exercise that seems no more than what you do at best, I lose about 1.5 lbs/week. [/quo

And people make fun of MY spelling errors....lol.....Yes its really true...I am NOT lying on my exercise...if you are 5'3" and weigh 40 and are loosing a pound and a half a week...well...oh never mind :)
  • liltadertat
    liltadertat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lol. I think it's pretty clear he's just BS'ing people. You won't message a mod for your "legitimate" questions? Yeah, sounds like a troll to me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Still spinning wheels, wonderful, I love this site, it's fun.
  • cvcman
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Lol. I think it's pretty clear he's just BS'ing people. You won't message a mod for your "legitimate" questions? Yeah, sounds like a troll to me.

a troll ? Ok you caught me...zeez give me a break....and what makes you think I didnt message a "mod" ??? oh thats right because YOU have all the answers already...
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    And I do this 7 days a week and have NOT missed a day for over 4 yrs...so I need to lie to the site to get better numbers.....

Why does your goal change everyday? I can't see where you're logging exercise?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hmm, weird response. I didn't suggest you were lying on your exercise or anything to attract the hostility at all. I said that if you are not double counting or making logging errors that significantly undercount what you are eating that your metabolism is unusual. If it were me I'd get it checked out, but if you are happy, that's great. Point is that it's no reason to claim that MFP and all TDEE calculators are therefore way off in general and useless or whatever your point is supposed to be. Your numbers are extremely unusual, if accurate.

Also, your insult didn't work, since I don't even understand what it's supposed to be. That I'm super fat or something?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you exercise that much and don't lose weight on 1800 or whatever it was, you have a medical issue somewhere. There is just no way around that.

My routine is 125 miles on a bike per week. Run 5-10 miles per week, and lift heavy 5 days a week. I would drop so fast on 1800 (currently maintaining at 3600.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

You need help,,,seriously

That was not about you. It was about the poster referenced in the quote above.

• cvcman
    Options
    might not make any sense but that is the answer to your question- yes, some people need to "lie" to the site in order for the site's predictions to match their experience.

The site is based off of calculations that are generally accurate over the entire population. So if people actually fall on a bell curve for their BMR/RMR/TDEE/exercise burns and the like, then the calculations are going to be less accurate the closer you personally get to being an outlier on that curve.

I think the point of the site is to give a set of tools people can use to attempt to find what personally works for them. It really doesn't matter if someone tracks inaccurately (in terms of losing or maintaining at least), so long as the pattern of behavior they develop gets them their intended goals.

OP it seems you are in agreement that either the site is calculating wrong (for you) or your intake calories are reported too low or exercise is reported too high (or a combination). Once you rule out the latter two intake-related issues the only remaining option is site is calculating wrong for you (which it appears is your main point anyway).

Yes it is unfortunate that the site is just a guidepost, but since we don't have an easy way to measure personal numbers for each individual I guess that's the best one can expect from a free site designed to be used by thousands of people?

Ok lets try this...you know my height, weight, age, I have an active lifestyle ...I do at MIN 1 hour of cardio a day 7 days a week at a hr of 135 avg,,,biking and or running...I do weights and resistance workouts 3 x's a week in addition..I also have an active job and maintain 3 properties in addition...mowing, cutting woood etc.....how many calories would YOU say I should eat a day to maintain my weight of 140 avg pounds ?
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Either troll or just very bored and lonely. Certainly not here to have a sensible conversation.