Golden Years

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I just check to see if MFP remove the offensive post that some one posted yesterday and they did I will keep an good eye on these post and will report it to MFP if any of you see one that I might miss let me know.
    Marie
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Already posted this on my Home page but thought I’d share. Since I am within one size of goal (est. Feb.), I bought some bargains in that size today. Nautica shirt (orig. $69.50) paid $20.40; Nautica shorts (orig. 54.50) paid $10.50; Nautica Spring jacket (orig. $89.98) paid = $26.99;

THAT WAS $213.98 for $57.89!!!

This NEVER happens in the Big/Tall stores – you pay through the nose even for junk!

Can't wait to get fully down that last size...
  • CALIECAT
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Bob you will make it .....yes a bargin
    Marie
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Thanks for the hello Marie. I wasn't sure how to say hello back, so I've typed it here! Next time one of the sons comes over I must ask for a lesson!
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Dieting should be easy Sunday – babysitting grandchildren (girl 4 / boy 7) all afternoon and evening. They love adult interaction – card games, Nintendo DS games; building things out of Lego’s, reading to me, magic shows, taking walks outside etc. – not like years ago. (Thank goodness for SmartPhones - I get to stay connected to email etc. on the sly LOL
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    18ukomayv1g5.jpg

Brandy and Sasha got new haircuts today. They looked so beautiful, I couldn't resist taking their picture before we went for a walk.

:D Bob, congrats on your weight loss and finding great bargains in your (soon to be) new size.

:D Shirley, Jake and I both liked the Garfield quote.

194904olsgis3xqe.gifMy line dance class was fabulous today. We danced familiar dances to ten different holiday songs (8 Christmas and 2 Hanukkah). One woman brought homemade Christmas ornaments for everyone and a poinsettia plant for me, several brought sweet treats, and the class gave me a card and a gift certificate to my favorite restaurant. Lots of people thanked me for the fun class and there was lots of laughter throughout the morning.

smiley-bounce013.gifAfter class Jake took me for my mammogram and then took me out to the Mexican restaurant that has spinach tamales and all the pico de gallo you want to put on them.

• NikonPal
    Options
    Thanks Barbiecat -- Brandy & Sasha are too cute! Keep on dancin'
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Somebody wrote on a new thread about their medication causing them to gain weight and many people responded. I was going to add my 2 cents, but it didn’t look like it was going to be an on-going thread (like this one) where people really try to help and encourage each other .

So I thought I’d post what was going to be my reply here -

I take multiple medications (anti-arrhythmic, statin, beta blocker, calcium channel blocker, methotrexate etc.); I recently read an article on Livestrong website on how to lose weight while on methotrexate – the advice would probably fit many drugs… Talk to your doctor… Adjust your daily calorie intake to create a deficit… Use an online calculator to figure out your basal metabolic rate… Clean up eating habits and avoid processed foods and snacks high in refined sugars, trans-fats and sodium… Increase activity levels by exercise at least 3 days per week (strength training and cardiovascular)…swimming, walking, biking, fitness class etc. It would probably be easy to google...if it is of interest to anyone.
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Saturdays Start:

20141220_073334_breakfast_space_5x5_zpsddd264cb.jpg

20141220_065730_walkingtreadmill5x5_zps985c1984.jpg

• BlueHarebell
    Options
    Nikonpal, now THAT I could dig into! Mm Mmm. Made my muesli look insipid!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Oh bob pass it on down here to Texas. that is a whopping good looking breakfast
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    Somebody wrote on a new thread about their medication causing them to gain weight and many people responded. I was going to add my 2 cents, but it didn’t look like it was going to be an on-going thread (like this one) where people really try to help and encourage each other .

So I thought I’d post what was going to be my reply here -

I take multiple medications (anti-arrhythmic, statin, beta blocker, calcium channel blocker, methotrexate etc.); I recently read an article on Livestrong website on how to lose weight while on methotrexate – the advice would probably fit many drugs… Talk to your doctor… Adjust your daily calorie intake to create a deficit… Use an online calculator to figure out your basal metabolic rate… Clean up eating habits and avoid processed foods and snacks high in refined sugars, trans-fats and sodium… Increase activity levels by exercise at least 3 days per week (strength training and cardiovascular)…swimming, walking, biking, fitness class etc. It would probably be easy to google...if it is of interest to anyone.

That is excellent advice Bob. Thanks for sharing it. My mother took methotrexate for quite a while and it was an issue for her. Her doctor told her to not worry about it. She did worry. Eventually he took her off the medication.

Best wishes to you. Love that you got new clothes! Isn't that wonderful???? YES!!

Happy weekend to all.

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Bob posted his breakfast so I will post my lunch from pinterest 111 diet plan looks fantastic.____marie
    he9yc8o9spud.jpg
  • linder4866
    Options
    You guys are making me hungry!! :D
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Caliecat & Blueharebell – Thanks for another idea and the compliment.

Linder4866 – just think of all the calories you didn’t eat by just looking at photos; as for methotrexate – yup – have my blood checked regularly because of toxicity; at least I am off Amiodarone ( doctor said taking over 5 yrs not a good idea).
  • linder4866
    Options
    I don't have any photos to share but let me assure you I didn't save even one calorie as I rummaged through my refrigerator---some leftover overnight oats, a bit of homemade soy yogurt, some banana and the last few sips of some detox juice from the health food store (mostly beet juice).

Bob, your screen name sparked me to dig out my old friend that I've not gotten out of the case for years. My film camera. Nikon F4. Now with arthritis in my hands it seems like it weighs a ton....and I cannot focus a frame through the viewfinder---apparently the addition of bifocals is not a good thing?

Hope everyone is having a healthy day.

Lin

422916fb3tf5yn29.jpg

(Not my camera just an image of an F4)
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I did not have the sauce for my pizza so I just used a slice of raisin bread, mashed avacada, slices Cajun baked turkey with slice tomatoes for lunch. very good .Still stayed in my 1: 1: 1: PlanThat's what matter/.The little taste of a raisin satisfy my sweet tooth.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :D Bob, your advice is sound for anyone with or without medication....it is so easy for people to blame their medication, genes, upbringing, metabolism, age, or anything else for their failure to lose weight while they sit on the couch snacking and feeling sorry for themselves.

We had latkes for lunch.....not our usual food, but we do it three times a year and thoroughly enjoy eating them
  • HildieMe
    HildieMe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    linder4866 wrote: »
    I found your thread Marie. I need to read the posts and catch up. I'm in my 60's but seem to have a number of what my doctor calls *age-related* problems. One of the most annoying ones is arthritis----especially in my hands. I drop everything, my hands are weak, they ache, can't stand getting my hands cold!! Argh! Anyone else??

Lin

Hi Marie and Lin,
    enjoying your comments! I'm on the wrong side of 70, too, it's no longer funny to say "Im in my extremely late forties"...

Married for 45 years now. Painfree in spite of arthritis in hands, knees and hips; we are both practicing and teaching tai chi for two hours at least five times a week, plus regular chiropractic adjustments, and medical massage about twice a month. Keeps everything limber and smooth. I decided to lose 20 pounds (starting in August 2014 at 170 lbs), then got ambitious and now want to lose at least another five pounds. MFP and all you wonderful people keep me motivated.

We decided to learn tai chi about 14 years ago, at first twice a week, then we took more and more classes until we started teaching it five years ago. That's the best, whatever you teach you really learn in depth! Look up the benefits, it's almost unbelievable (improves balance, prevents falls, relieves stress and arthritis pain, increases circulation etc.) - you've got to experience it yourself. And yes, we have participants in their late eighties and even nineties. Trick is, you really have to do it almost every day and keep it up...

Best of luck to you, I'll be following you here!
  • CALIECAT
    edited December 2014
    Options

HildieMe I sent your name to our leader on the Senior Golden Sneakers group for her to send you an invite. Most of us here are members

Would love to hear more on tai chi . I think I have a Cd on it. Will have to dig it out
    Marie