Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    ohgeeque wrote: »
    How do I tell my DOH! that the dress I bought at the thrift shop today is the same one I donated 8 months ago because I couldn't squeeze into it?
    That's actually hilarious! I have no idea how you're going to tell him that. :D

misskarne wrote: »
    Hey @Susieq_1994, I have a couple more questions that just popped into my head. So I was wondering, since you were sick, do you get a special exclusion from prayers, or do you have to make them up later (I think you mentioned it before)?

Also, I've been watching The Ashes (cricket for those who don't know) and one of the English players, Moeen Ali, is a Muslim, and I read an article saying that he is observing Ramadan. I don't know that I've ever seen him take a drink during the drinks breaks, but it has been unseasonably hot (well, the English definition of the word "hot"), so I was wondering if he would also have to "make up" fasting when the series is over?

Nope, as I mentioned before, nobody is excused from prayer unless they're insane. Sick people have special allowances on HOW they can pray, depending on their capability. They can pray standing as usual, seated, or lying down in bed. Those who are completely paralyzed have to pray as well, and they can indicate their prayer movements by simply blinking their eyes. I've been praying seated, because I can't stand unsupported for more than a few seconds. :)

You don't get excused from fasting for your job. Most people work through the year--if their job became an excuse not to fast, Ramadan would never be fasted. This includes those who work physical or outdoor jobs. You can only break your fast under special circumstances: Severe sickness, such as having a fever--not just being tired or headachey from the fast; Travelling, because fasting is a burden on a traveler; and severe hunger or thirst, to the point that you feel you might become extremely sick or die if you don't eat or drink something.

Also, for those who have chronic illnesses that prevent them from being able to ever fast, they must feed a poor person for each day of fasting that they couldn't fast, and this will be their "fasting". :)

Thankyou! I am glad your illness did not prevent your prayers. :)

I am loving all of your posts about Ramadan. I am learning so much!
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's finally strawberry season!

I get really jealous of people who find their farmers market a cheaper place for fresh produce though.

I bought a bunch of radishes, a bunch of beets, some onions, 2 heads of romaine, a cucumber, 3 tomatoes and a 5 lb bag of potatoes, a tiny container of strawberries and spent the best part of $40.

All that at the grocery store would have been closer to $20.

But it's all fresh and delicious.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »

I get really jealous of people who find their farmers market a cheaper place for fresh produce though.

I bought a bunch of radishes, a bunch of beets, some onions, 2 heads of romaine, a cucumber, 3 tomatoes and a 5 lb bag of potatoes, a tiny container of strawberries and spent the best part of $40.

Oh yes! I got caught out last year at the farmers' market and paid $12 for two sweet potatoes. I normally would have laughed and said 'WHAT??? No thank you' when they rang it up, but my FIL was with me, and I didn't want to make a scene. I guess they were organic, or gold-encrusted, or something....
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Please someone motivate me to get off this couch and go for a walk. I have zero energy and my little man is at his dads. If drastic measures aren't taken I will sit here and eat everything in sight. I have already been eyeing the jar of PB

Tough love ahead:

GET OFF THE SOFA! Go for a walk or a swim or something, so you have something to tell little man when he gets back. Otherwise he'll soon cotton on you're miserable when he's not there and that's not a burden he should be carrying. Make use of this time to look after you. So he comes back to the best you possible, relaxed and refreshed, not sick and guilty

Eta: sorry, that might be a bit late

You are absolutely right! I did get up and get moving . Thanks @orangesmartie. And today I am going to head to the lake with some friends. IF iget all my packing done!

Also the term cotton on makes me smile
    Great going! Please send some of your leftover motivation my way.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    @pofoster21 i hope the half goes well, I know you'll do well, you are awesome and such an inspiration
    Agreed! Looking forward to hearing how it's gone for you.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    How do I tell my DOH! that the dress I bought at the thrift shop today is the same one I donated 8 months ago because I couldn't squeeze into it?
    Haha, that made me laugh. (Sorry)
    Don't tell him - he will never notice.

• Tubbs216
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    So I've decided that my reward when I hit goal weight is I'm going to apply for a makeover on the Marilyn Dennis show.

I'm pretty sure after losing 70 lbs or more I should be able to get picked.

I hope. I've never really known how to dress myself.

That would be awesome!! I'm not terrible at dressing but I've always wanted someone to tell me what kind of clothes are best for my body shape! I have a good idea but I'm so indecisive when it comes to clothes- and I refuse to buy any new ones until I'm down to 130...15 lbs to go :(
    Save up and go somewhere like Nordstrom where they have personal stylists for free! Doesn't mean you have to buy everything they pick out for you, but it might give you some ideas for clothes that suit your 'new' body shape. Even an opinionated sales person in a regular store can help. I bought a top recently, and reached for my usual XL. Tried it on - too big. Tried the L and was going to buy it, but the lady said 'Oh that's too big for you, see how it's tenting out here? Try the M.' which I did, and bought! I would never had tried the M without her telling me to!
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    @Tubbs216 don't worry about keeping up/responding just don't leave us!!!
    Aw, thank you. I'm not going anywhere - sometimes I get overwhelmed about trying to thoroughly read everything and respond to everyone.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Okay four weeks from today I'm headed to the UK!!!! :):) Strictly staying under calories and doing my workouts until London!! Woot woot!!
    So excited for you!
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    @MoHousdon, I don't know what to say...except that that stinks and I'm so sorry that you guys are STILL dealing with this. I'm sad about the cat too. :(
    Agreed. I know situations like this don't get resolved overnight, but I'm really sorry you're dealing with all of this.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I haven't read threw the thread yet, not sure if I'm up to it / responding to previous posts, but I just want to say I hope you guys have had a fun weekend!
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Thanks for the thoughts on maintaining. I'm another who will probably have to keep logging in some way in order to keep the weight off. I find that a bit depressing, but I guess the idea of yoyo-ing for the rest of my life is worse.

You brush your teeth every day. You get dressed every day. This is just another simple habit. :smile:

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    That's actually hilarious! I have no idea how you're going to tell him that. :D

Hey @Susieq_1994, I have a couple more questions that just popped into my head. So I was wondering, since you were sick, do you get a special exclusion from prayers, or do you have to make them up later (I think you mentioned it before)?

Also, I've been watching The Ashes (cricket for those who don't know) and one of the English players, Moeen Ali, is a Muslim, and I read an article saying that he is observing Ramadan. I don't know that I've ever seen him take a drink during the drinks breaks, but it has been unseasonably hot (well, the English definition of the word "hot"), so I was wondering if he would also have to "make up" fasting when the series is over?

Nope, as I mentioned before, nobody is excused from prayer unless they're insane. Sick people have special allowances on HOW they can pray, depending on their capability. They can pray standing as usual, seated, or lying down in bed. Those who are completely paralyzed have to pray as well, and they can indicate their prayer movements by simply blinking their eyes. I've been praying seated, because I can't stand unsupported for more than a few seconds. :)

You don't get excused from fasting for your job. Most people work through the year--if their job became an excuse not to fast, Ramadan would never be fasted. This includes those who work physical or outdoor jobs. You can only break your fast under special circumstances: Severe sickness, such as having a fever--not just being tired or headachey from the fast; Travelling, because fasting is a burden on a traveler; and severe hunger or thirst, to the point that you feel you might become extremely sick or die if you don't eat or drink something.

Also, for those who have chronic illnesses that prevent them from being able to ever fast, they must feed a poor person for each day of fasting that they couldn't fast, and this will be their "fasting". :)

Thankyou! I am glad your illness did not prevent your prayers. :)

I am loving all of your posts about Ramadan. I am learning so much!

Nothing but death will ever keep me from praying. Or insanity. ;)

I'm glad you enjoy them! :)
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

Yikes!! I'd have to live without vegetables if they cost that much. :p But farm-fresh produce... Mmmmm.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »
    Funny story since we have been talking about pregnancy. At the urging of my doctor I started taking prenatal vitamins, they have all kinds of benefits that are not just good for pregnancy. I did not tell my husband and he walks into the bedroom the other day, holding the bottle of prenatals he found in the kitchen and says "ummm do I need to be concerned?" bahaha... we are in our 50's! I would DIE!
    My daughter found some I was taking for non pregnancy reasons and brought them to me. Mom. We need to talk. :smiley:
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Thanks for the thoughts on maintaining. I'm another who will probably have to keep logging in some way in order to keep the weight off. I find that a bit depressing, but I guess the idea of yoyo-ing for the rest of my life is worse.

You brush your teeth every day. You get dressed every day. This is just another simple habit. :smile:
    Except for Naked Tuesdays...
    Haha, no, you're right. Logging is a habit for me now - why should I allow myself to fall out of the habit.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    Funny story since we have been talking about pregnancy. At the urging of my doctor I started taking prenatal vitamins, they have all kinds of benefits that are not just good for pregnancy. I did not tell my husband and he walks into the bedroom the other day, holding the bottle of prenatals he found in the kitchen and says "ummm do I need to be concerned?" bahaha... we are in our 50's! I would DIE!
    My daughter found some I was taking for non pregnancy reasons and brought them to me. Mom. We need to talk. :smiley:
    That's funny! Maybe I'll buy some and leave them somewhere for Mr Tubbs to find.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    Well, now that I'm a little calmer, I think I can update everyone on Raelynn's situation. (( Cliff noting what the doctor said and it's a bit long. ))

-She has been officially and definitely diagnosed with SPD and Anxiety.

-The only treatment for her SPD and (at her age) Anxiety is occupational and behavioral therapy. Unfortunately, we can't afford the therapy, so that can't happen until we get approved for TEFRA (secondary Medicaid for special needs and insurance), but:

-She is being referred to ChildFind (services through the school district), but the county/district we live in is notoriously difficult for getting kids in. We'll have to see what they tell us.

-Doctor also gave us information on some community resources that may be available for us, just depends on if there is anything in Laurens County.

-She scored an 81 on the tests they did yesterday, which puts her right below "average" for her age and development, but the score for "average" runs between an 85-115 (low average-high average) so according to that she's just below which could mean she will be denied TEFRA. Doctor did tell me to be prepared to file an appeal should that happen and she will help us with it.

-She's been having issues with going to sleep for a while now, like fighting sleep and crying at bedtime, and waking up multiple times in a night so we have to start her on melatonin 2 hours before bedtime, because she's so wound up she can't go to sleep (SPD effect). We also have to start her on a fiber regimen, because she has a terrible habit of holding poops (major SPD problem).

-Basically, we have to keep her life as routine and rigid as possible. No potty training, no big changes, just making sure she knows what to expect every day so hopefully it will help alleviate some of her anxiety issues until we can get therapy going. (Needless to say, our plans of "expanding our family" are on hold until further notice since that would obviously be a huge change in her life. Which, if putting that on hold makes her life easier and we can help her, I'm okay with that.)

She's got a long way to go, but we're going to do everything that we can to help her!
    I did a lot of research on the clinical trials of kids with special needs and melatonin a number of years ago. I went to the actual clinical trial papers (perk of being a grad student at the time I could access almost any journal). For a "normal" kid there is no real benefit but for kids with certain special needs it made a huge difference. I put my son on a very low dose and it changed our lives. I had previously put him to bed more than 70 times in one night. After I saw how well it worked for a month or two I told his doctors what I had done and both the primary ped. and cardiologist were all for it. The two hours seems a long time to me, for us about 30-45 minutes works great so you may need to fiddle with that window a little bit if the two hours is too long before bed. Good luck!

I REALLY understand appeals and avocating for our children. You can do this.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Confession: My daughter is very pregnant and I don't want to wait any longer to meet my granddaughter! Have that baby already!

Ooo you're going to be a grammy!! Do you know what you would like to be called? Congrats!!

I already have a grandson - Noah James, he calls me Nana. He is getting a the little sister. (I also have two angel babies whose names are Lauren Adel and Landon David - my oldest sons babies who were born with a genetic disorder)

Aw yay!! I love the name Nana, that's what I want to be when I have grandkids too!

Me too! That's what we called both of our grandmothers and that's what my mom wanted to be called by her grandkids. Our son has "Nana and Grampy" (my parents...RIP Mom), "Grandma and Grandpa" (my husband's mom and step dad) and a "MeMe and Pops" (husband's dad and step mom).

Isn't it funny how many different names there are for grandparents? I think I want to be a Mimi when my kid has kids of his own. That's what I called my grandmother.

My mother was called Nanny, I chose Nana. My grandma was grandma.
    My kids called my grandmother GG for great grandma. Gigi really suited her well and soon everyone in the family referred to her as Gigi. I miss her! It is just over a year since she passed away.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    @Just_Ceci I'm not the greatest with words so here is a giant hug for you <3 ((((HUGE HUG HERE))))

ETA: I can't spell

A big hug from me too@Just_Ceci.