Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yay @pofoster21 that sounds gruelling and fun at the same time!

I don't think the triathlon here is going to happen again until 2017. The lake they use here was supposed to be drained to work on a dam this summer but that's been pushed back probably until next summer.

I'm going to see if I can get into running - if I can I think I'm going to do the Terry Fox run next September.

It's a 10K.
  • Glinda1971
    Options
    @orangesmartie post your pictures anywhere you like.

I only started the other thread because I didn't want to post my pictures out here.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Yay @pofoster21 that sounds gruelling and fun at the same time!

I don't think the triathlon here is going to happen again until 2017. The lake they use here was supposed to be drained to work on a dam this summer but that's been pushed back probably until next summer.

I'm going to see if I can get into running - if I can I think I'm going to do the Terry Fox run next September.

It's a 10K.

Do it!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Ok all caught up!

Thank you all for the well wishes! I had an awesome race! It's been raining non stop in Indiana and was misty, grey and rainy the two days we have been here. But today the one day of the race it was sunny and beautiful. I couldn't have asked for a better day.

So blow by blow (those not interested please ignore):

First amazingly I forgot nothing! I usually end up forgetting some vital piece of equipment and having to buy it. I had everything I needed for the race (we'll ignore that I forgot enough socks, underwear and warmer clothing for day to day and had to go shopping for those...)

We were a bit late and parking was a mess. We got in on time though and then they pushed back the start 15 min so I had plenty of time to go to the bathroom ( a porta potty...sorry @MoHousdon ) and pull on my wetsuit and drink my last minute energy drinks before heading down for my wave. Ladies 45-49 went off about 7:30.

Swim: the water was gorgeous. It's a reservoir so nice and flat. The water was 72 degrees so wetsuit legal. I don't like wearing a wetsuit as I usually find it constricting but it provides some flotation advantages and speed advantages so is worth it. The water felt plenty warm so that was good.

I normally utterly panic at the start of every swim as you are crowded in with all these people and I am not a great swimmer. Normally I would have about 5 min of utter panic and thinking of getting back out before I calm down and start swimming. No problem today! I just put my head down and went. I found a spot in the chaos pretty quickly and settled into a really good (albeit slow) pace. The next big issue is often sighting. I usually have trouble finding the buoys to keep them in sight and not veer too far off course and add distance today I swam dead on. The trip back was hard as the sun was directly in my eyes but I just tried to follow the swimmers in front of me and stayed pretty on course. I didn't get beat up too bad by the swimmers coming up behind either which is a good thing. Because I am really slow the waves behind me always catch me and if they are age grouper men especially the 35-45 groups they are so obnoxious and will swim right over you, push you aside, etc. Anonymity in the water often breeds bad behavior. It can be scary. This is the worst part for newbies to get used to (it was really scary for me in the beginning of doing triathlon). Made it out in 52 min feeling great. And only a few minutes off my usual trained time.

Took my time in transition. Went to the bathroom. Ate a clif bar. Changed into biking gear and off I went. Bike was equally slow. It's my least liked leg but I chose this race for the "flat" course and flat it was! It was 2 loops and the scenery was beautiful and the weather perfect. I was again incredibly slow and most of the field passed me but hey, I was doing it and not hating every moment so a win all around. My hips and legs were killing me and I composed a lot of status updates in my head to you guys and thought about how cool this thread is and how great it is we have all found each other, etc. it took 3.5 hours so a lot of time to think!

So came in off the bike. My friend got me coming in so when she sends me these pictures I'll share them all in all stages (ugly wetsuit and all!) when I get them. Took my time in transition again and then headed out on run. I was sure I wouldn't be able to run at all after how bad my legs hurt after the bike but amazingly I felt GREAT! I kept thinking I was going to crash and burn so played it safe and ran slowly in the beginning to feel myself out. But rather than falling apart I got stronger and stronger. The time flew, I was passing a ton of women in my age group who blew past me on the bike and each mile improved. By the end I was doing sub 9 min miles and I finished in 2:07 which was amazing with little training and time spent running. I was thrilled. I did walk all water stops and got water and Gatorade and coke but otherwise I ran everything and never felt like I couldn't do it.

I haven't checked my final time or standing in my age group but I don't care. It was probably just under 7 hours, but I was thrilled. With zero training it could have been a disaster. Plus I mentally was in it the whole day and happy, never miserable or wishing I had not done it. So glad I came and plan on getting myself back on track with this training!

My friend was amazing and such a great support team. It's so good to have great friends and composing updates to you guys really kept me going. Thanks again for the well wishes and good lucks!

Sorry for the long post...

Way to go! I'm very impressed. Triathlon is not something I aspire to, I am a terrible swimmer, but this is fantastic!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    @pofoster21 That sounds amazing!! I'm glad it didn't end up being torturous for you--I was thinking that an Ironman with no training would kill me before I even got out of the water!

I'm all wibbly wobbly but I can walk on my own (in short bursts--staying upright is exhausting) today with no support. :) I still can't stand long, but that's always the final stage of recovery. I'm beginning to have hope that I'll be nearly recovered before Eid! It's expected to fall on the seventeenth of July, so just five more days. :)
  • Susieq_1994
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Whew it all posted. I did this all on iPad and was afraid after all that it wouldn't all post! I did not want to type that out again.

Oh and I ate a TON afterwards including the s'mores Oreos recommended in this thread (they were ok) and was still way in the green. :)

When I'm posting something super long, I select all the text and copy it before posting. That way, if MFP eats it I just have to paste and try again. :p

I want those calories! Think I can do a tri the day before Eid so I'll be in the green for my peanut butter pie? :p
  • Oberon21
    Options
    @pofoster21 That sounds amazing!! I'm glad it didn't end up being torturous for you--I was thinking that an Ironman with no training would kill me before I even got out of the water!

I'm all wibbly wobbly but I can walk on my own (in short bursts--staying upright is exhausting) today with no support. :) I still can't stand long, but that's always the final stage of recovery. I'm beginning to have hope that I'll be nearly recovered before Eid! It's expected to fall on the seventeenth of July, so just five more days. :)

This is great news!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Whew it all posted. I did this all on iPad and was afraid after all that it wouldn't all post! I did not want to type that out again.

Oh and I ate a TON afterwards including the s'mores Oreos recommended in this thread (they were ok) and was still way in the green. :)

When I'm posting something super long, I select all the text and copy it before posting. That way, if MFP eats it I just have to paste and try again. :p

I want those calories! Think I can do a tri the day before Eid so I'll be in the green for my peanut butter pie? :p

Ooh that is a good idea (on cutting and paste) I will do that next time. I think you need to take it easy and get well before you start tri training!
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    Confession: The MFP app was being wonky last night and having issues adding things as well as closing my diary for the day. I probably would have been a bit over (we had friends over for dinner), but gave up trying to get things accurate because I was annoyed.

No change in weight today from yesterday, so I think I'm good. I was up a bit from Thursday's delicious (but sodium filled) dinner out, so it should all end up being gone in a day or two anyway. Yay for not stressing out about a bit of water weight!
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Well done @pofoster21 amazing job!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    @pofoster21 -awesome job on the tri!!! That sounds like work and fun all at once. I know it is great to feel that accomplishment when you finish.
  • Glinda1971
    Options
    @Susieq_1994 glad you are improving.

@CountessKitteh yay for not stressing about water weight!
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Been swimming and had lunch with Charlie and my friend from last night, and her children. Feel exhausted now, time for a nap before driving back to London
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Been swimming and had lunch with Charlie and my friend from last night, and her children. Feel exhausted now, time for a nap before driving back to London

Sounds like the perfect day!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    @pofoster21 Congrats on doing such a good job with the tri! That medal is great.
    S'mores Oreos are pretty okay, definitely not my favorite of the newer flavors.
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Woke up this morning to a text from my boyfriend..."chest and back today, love you!". Lol. Today is day 3 in the gym with him. We've done legs, biceps, triceps, and shoulders the past 2 days. I'm sore but in a good way! I'm really starting to like this lifting thing!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    @pofoster21 Fantastic job - well done! How do you feel today?

@orangesmartie Great job on your 10 mile walk! I'm so impressed by your determination.

• Glinda1971
    Options
    @TigerNY128 - I'm glad you are liking the lifting.

@orangesmartie - Sounds like you had a wonderful day! I hope you had a nice nap.
  • Glinda1971
    Options
    I'm a little late to the baby picture posting but here is me at 6 months:

Months_zpsiv56m5s1.jpg

And this is me at just about 2.5 - my sister is 17 months younger than I am and this is her first birthday. My mother tells me I threw a huge temper tantrum and was miserable for days when I outgrew those red shoes and my sister got to have them.

RedShoes_zpsszkoerqh.jpg

Sorry they aren't great quality but they are pictures of pictures.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

This is great news!

Yup, so excited that I can hardly stand it! I get to BAKE ALL THE THINGS! :D

Ooh that is a good idea (on cutting and paste) I will do that next time. I think you need to take it easy and get well before you start tri training!

Ha, you think so? :p I thought maybe I could jump right into it by running 13 miles today... ;)