Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Confession: I just figured out how to get to this thread.

To MRSA sufferers: My family had a terrible bout with it. Hubby had an infection on his finger that was tough to heal and transferred to our son's open skin as a toddler due to eczema. Took a year to clear everyone of it, including rounds of heavy-duty antibiotics for the whole family. We had to put Aquaphor on the eczema wearing gloves and only used our towels once. We were fortunate to not have any close-calls with anyone being septic, but it was tough to rid the house of it. I get paranoid about open wounds and keeping that stuff covered up (and covered well).
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

To MRSA sufferers: My family had a terrible bout with it. Hubby had an infection on his finger that was tough to heal and transferred to our son's open skin as a toddler due to eczema. Took a year to clear everyone of it, including rounds of heavy-duty antibiotics for the whole family. We had to put Aquaphor on the eczema wearing gloves and only used our towels once. We were fortunate to not have any close-calls with anyone being septic, but it was tough to rid the house of it. I get paranoid about open wounds and keeping that stuff covered up (and covered well).

Yikes! Glad you got rid of it.
    I am trying hard not to be judgmental of Brooke, but I really don't think she realizes the danger her other kids are in. Maybe I am paranoid because I work at a hospital where MRSA and flu are public enemies #1 & 2 on any given day. (currently flu is in the #1 slot)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Yikes! Glad you got rid of it.
    I am trying hard not to be judgmental of Brooke, but I really don't think she realizes the danger her other kids are in. Maybe I am paranoid because I work at a hospital where MRSA and flu are public enemies #1 & 2 on any given day. (currently flu is in the #1 slot)

I don't think you are paranoid at all. However, if the wounds are adequately covered, there's a level of risk I'd probably take. With young kids it's tricky because, well, they pick their nose and touch stuff and that's a great way to spread MRSA if they are carrying it. There are protocols she could take, but chances are she's just a mom trying to do her best. It's hard not to point out what we would do different/better.

It took a lot of vigilance to get rid of it.

My son had problems with MRSA around 2 years old. When he was 7, he began having recurrent strep infections that wouldn't clear, even with the heavy-dutiest of antibiotics. We pulled his tonsils that summer, and hasn't had any issues since. We do blame the high doses of antibiotics he took as a young child with having difficulty fighting infections later on.

Since then, he's been able to take a "cillan" medication for what I think was a single ear infection. He'll be 14 on Friday and an exceptionally healthy kid now.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    I feel you Mel! I had to be tested for mrsa before having both my kids (thankfully clear) and that is some serious business. Hope baby and family are all doing well soon.

I am one of those people who carry it in my nose. I've been treated several times for it.

It was another one of those glamorous pregnancy moments they never warn you about. Swab up my nose and on my groin because I had csections. As I'm sticking the swab up my nose, we're joking there's no orifice left unscathed by childbirth!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    I feel you Mel! I had to be tested for mrsa before having both my kids (thankfully clear) and that is some serious business. Hope baby and family are all doing well soon.

I am one of those people who carry it in my nose. I've been treated several times for it.

It was another one of those glamorous pregnancy moments they never warn you about. Swab up my nose and on my groin because I had csections. As I'm sticking the swab up my nose, we're joking there's no orifice left unscathed by childbirth!

There isn't...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Look how much broccoli I ate today! :laugh: Or I found one of those "inaccurate entries." One or the other.

6drekfcde1tv.jpg
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    Look how much broccoli I ate today! :laugh: Or I found one of those "inaccurate entries." One or the other.

6drekfcde1tv.jpg

I'm just going to start eating 66 grams of broccoli to meet my protein macro for the rest of my life.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

6drekfcde1tv.jpg

Inaccurate is a word for that. Downright wrong is what my Granny would have said.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »

6drekfcde1tv.jpg

I'm just going to start eating 66 grams of broccoli to meet my protein macro for the rest of my life.

I'd be more worried about the FIBER!
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »

6drekfcde1tv.jpg

I'd be more worried about the FIBER!

That could cause some serious bloat, and gas.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

6drekfcde1tv.jpg

Beano! Beano!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Confession

I had to really talk myself into exercising this morning. I did it, but bed was calling me the entire time.

Good job!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Confession

I had to really talk myself into exercising this morning. I did it, but bed was calling me the entire time.

Good job going!

On Wednesday I am home for over an hour and a half between work and gym times, and have to argue with myself every week to get up and go out again! Esp in the winter!
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    Did you know that 300g of steamed cauliflower with 1.5 ounces of Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese kept me fueled for 12 hours of a very busy shift. I certainly did not know that was possible.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Things you never want to hear while volunteering at free clinic:
    person in waiting room: "She's having a seizure!"
    Doc running down hall: "Do we have Ativan?"
    "yes"
    Garbled conversation
    "It's not working. Call 911."

Actually those could just be words you never want to hear. I don't even know which patient it was.

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    "yes"
    Garbled conversation

Actually those could just be words you never want to hear. I don't even know which patient it was.

:(
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    "yes"
    Garbled conversation

:(

Update: Michelle texted me. The patient is okay this morning, but spent the night in observation. We just can't give more than one dose of Ativan in the clinic because people should be on telemetry (monitoring BP and heart rate) when they get more than one. Also, I love Dr. Hodge for being early to clinic last night and for having ER experience.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Yikes. Yeah, I agree I would not want to hear that!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I just pointed my car key at my office door and pushed the "unlock" button. This may be shocking, but it didn't work. I see a lot more coffee in my immediate future! :laugh: