Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Talkradio wrote: »
    Confession: I have always wanted to buy ONE car brand new. I know it doesn't make economic sense, but I still wanted to. The confession is that we did that last September, a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage. 100 miles on it. I'm ticked off because we bought the car as a commuter car for my new job - it gets almost 50 miles to the gallon. But it has zero cool factor. It is a stick shift and has no luxury features. That is NOT what I planned on wasting my one new car buy on.

Confession: I judge people who don't know how to drive a stick shift. I feel internally smug and superior towards them.

My husband has tried to teach me so many times, and I just cannot do it. I'm fine once I get going, even pretty decent with the clutch/gas/shifting dance, but it's the getting going out of a complete stop that I can't master. I just gave up. I will NEVER need to know how to drive a manual car and if I do, I can get by, but that would only be necessary if my husband has already become a zombie and I've had to put him down.

We'll team up in the Zombie apocalypse. I'll drive if it's a stick.

Sounds good! What will my job be?! I don't want to be zombie bait. I am a pretty good shot and I think I could wield a mean samurai sword.

I'm going to ask for one for Christmas! :smiley:

ETA: Ooh, or a crossbow!

I have a compound bow already!! Can I team up? :#
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Confession: I have always wanted to buy ONE car brand new. I know it doesn't make economic sense, but I still wanted to. The confession is that we did that last September, a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage. 100 miles on it. I'm ticked off because we bought the car as a commuter car for my new job - it gets almost 50 miles to the gallon. But it has zero cool factor. It is a stick shift and has no luxury features. That is NOT what I planned on wasting my one new car buy on.

Confession: I judge people who don't know how to drive a stick shift. I feel internally smug and superior towards them.

My husband has tried to teach me so many times, and I just cannot do it. I'm fine once I get going, even pretty decent with the clutch/gas/shifting dance, but it's the getting going out of a complete stop that I can't master. I just gave up. I will NEVER need to know how to drive a manual car and if I do, I can get by, but that would only be necessary if my husband has already become a zombie and I've had to put him down.

Sounds good! What will my job be?! I don't want to be zombie bait. I am a pretty good shot and I think I could wield a mean samurai sword.

I don't have any weapons, but I can bring some Dr Pepper :smiley:

YES to both of you! Who's in for bringing the Quest Bars and kettle cooked chips?!

I got that!!

SWEET!!! I live in KS and @quiksylver296 lives in Idaho, where should we meet up? Nebraska, South Dakota?

I will drive straight up from Texas! pick you up in KS!

Anyone coming north? Far, far north? haha

ETA: Never mind. If the world ends and there's no more power/heat, I'm heading south.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My dad forced me to learn to drive on a manual, but I never drove one after that and promptly forgot how (was never good at it, took my test on an automatic). When I was 24 (years later), a friend and I went to Turkey and decided impromptu to rent a car and drive from Istanbul to Izmir. All we could get was a Fiat (manual, of course), that was a nightmare all around, including a trunk that wouldn't seem to work. My friend was used to manuals, but realized she'd left her driver's license back in the US, so the plan was for her to help me to get back up to speed and then maybe for us to share once we were in a more remote area out of the city. But I quickly realized that there was no way I could manage driving in Istanbul in the manual (terrifying city to drive in in the best of circumstances), so we decided she'd drive out of the city and then we'd switch off.

Naturally, we managed to get pulled over and were completely convinced that we were going to be arrested and end up in Turkish prison, because it was obvious the policeman (a motorcycle cop--Turkish CHiPs) was asking for her license, but we acted like dummies, gave him my license, our passports, and showed him the map, and finally I think he got annoyed with dealing with us and the language barrier and just pointed us toward the bridge to Asia.

Lucky us.

(The driving did not get a lot less stressful in Asia, as we also thought the "scenic route" would be a good idea, but that's a different story.)
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I confess that I was extremely happy to see so many more posts to read this morning!!!!!

On another note, it was unbelievably awesome to run into my ex's girlfriend yesterday. She is a lot bigger than me. I got a perverse inner chuckle to hear him say to her that he should never have left me for her... when we broke up i was extremely overweight and she was a twig

Catty and bitchy I know but mwahahahaha sucked in
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    StapfJ wrote: »
    My 10 yo dog started limping a few days ago. I took her to the vet. I spent $550 and he told me she needs ACL surgery. That's another $2,500. He said there is a greater than 70% chance she will have to have the other leg done too..... that's at least $2,500 more.

I'm having a really hard time with it. I love her but that is a TON of money. I feel like a horrible owner, but I keep thinking about how I can find a way to not do it.

She's not in "that" much pain, but she is not that great either - just kind of quiet.

I'm trying to justify it in my head even though I know I'm supposed to just do the surgery. I'm so bummed.

I, for one, don't think you're a horrible owner. Vet bills are expensive and although we love our pets like family, everyone has their limit financially. My dog got cancer in October. I couldn't justify paying for chemo (not that I would've had a chance anyway, she deteriorated so quickly). Some people have/find the money to make it work but others can't. From your picture I assume you have a family, so of course you have to have money to provide for them.

As for cheaper options, would a vet school in your area do the surgery for a lower price?

• ShibaEars
    Options

Confession: Right after reading that, my mind seemed to react as though ShibaEars had just delivered the last line of dialogue in a TWD-inspired Dr Pepper commercial... and I suddenly 'heard' the words, "be a Pepper...drink Dr Pepper..." being sung (in my mind), to 'close out' the commercial...

Interesting (and dare I say, *relevant* (?!) ;) ) Fact: The man who wrote the Dr Pepper "Be a Pepper" jingle is the same man who wrote the music for the U.S. Army recruitment jingle 'Be All That You Can Be'..." -- and given the 'recruitment drive', for populating that stick shift, samurai sword, and compound bow -defended "mobile command unit"... Dr Pepper would seem to be an ideal form of refreshment, for consumption while fending off all manner of zombie apocalyptic riff-raff (let alone, when recruiting any additional non-infected, weapon-yielding support personnel)... yes, indeed -- it'll put some pep in your step(/stab/shot/sword-skewering)... ;)

Should liking DP be a pre-requisite for joining our anti-zombie gang?! None of that diet crap either.

What should we call ourselves?! These are important questions should this even ever come to pass.

Also, who's the "leader" of the gang?!

Yes. Our mission can be to drive around looking for Dr Pepper.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    xMrBunglex wrote: »

Me too. Sooooooooo much.

I have always had a stick shift except for one car. I get bored driving automatic (except in stop and go traffic for hours when I get tired of shifting from 0 to 5 to 10 to 0). I did destroy the clutch in the first manual I owned. :)
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I start my new job on Wednesday and I'm super excited cause all I've done the last four months is exercise, try to find a job, and watch tv/read.

Congratulations! Let us know how it goes!

Thanks! I will :)
  • overlook237
    overlook237 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Am I too late to join your zombie apocalypse team? I can...uh...well, I don't have any actual experience with weapons. However, I'm part Sicilian so I'm guessing I'd be pretty good at kneecapping walkers and sending threats to our group to "sleep with the fishes". ;)
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    After all the vehicle talk, since I've started driving my daily driver has usually been at least 10 years old. Still miss my old 92 Dakota that got totaled. Right now it's an 03 Wrangler with a 5 speed and I commute 45 miles/day, but it's paid for, dirt cheap to insure and repair and a blast to drive with the top/doors off....even in the rain.
  • ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    Options

YES to both of you! Who's in for bringing the Quest Bars and kettle cooked chips?!

I got that!!

SWEET!!! I live in KS and @quiksylver296 lives in Idaho, where should we meet up? Nebraska, South Dakota?

Anyone coming north? Far, far north? haha

ETA: Never mind. If the world ends and there's no more power/heat, I'm heading south.

We can travel together, Shiba!
  • ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Confession: Right after reading that, my mind seemed to react as though ShibaEars had just delivered the last line of dialogue in a TWD-inspired Dr Pepper commercial... and I suddenly 'heard' the words, "be a Pepper...drink Dr Pepper..." being sung (in my mind), to 'close out' the commercial...

Interesting (and dare I say, *relevant* (?!) ;) ) Fact: The man who wrote the Dr Pepper "Be a Pepper" jingle is the same man who wrote the music for the U.S. Army recruitment jingle 'Be All That You Can Be'..." -- and given the 'recruitment drive', for populating that stick shift, samurai sword, and compound bow -defended "mobile command unit"... Dr Pepper would seem to be an ideal form of refreshment, for consumption while fending off all manner of zombie apocalyptic riff-raff (let alone, when recruiting any additional non-infected, weapon-yielding support personnel)... yes, indeed -- it'll put some pep in your step(/stab/shot/sword-skewering)... ;)

Should liking DP be a pre-requisite for joining our anti-zombie gang?! None of that diet crap either.

What should we call ourselves?! These are important questions should this even ever come to pass.

Also, who's the "leader" of the gang?!

Yes. Our mission can be to drive around looking for Dr Pepper.

Like in Zombieland....only with Dr. Pepper instead of Twinkies!
  • monstalosta
    monstalosta Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind a one night stand or Fwb hook-up and yes I am married
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I am one of those who cannot drive stick :(
  • Oberon21
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Russandol wrote: »
    I love reading while I eat, though, mainly because I want some kind of mental stimulation. Sadly, it often ends up being the distracting kind that makes me overeat...

I've struggled with similar things, and I think it's because I have strong associations with "eating" being a time when I could just take a break from everything, a time out, and escape from the world. Not sure why, but I remember when I was young even reading while I ate and dragging out the meal by eating more just so I'd have an excuse to keep reading more. When I had a horrible stressful job in my late 20s (and first got fat), I'd similarly see eating lunch or dinner (at work) as my one time to take a break and read or (later) surf the internet at the same time, and similarly that's when I started adding dessert on to my meals routinely, since it would drag it out. It really was a "while I'm eating I don't have to think about these other things."

My confession is that while I was losing it was really easy to focus on all the exciting things about losing and the goals and such and have that outweigh the screwed up emotional ways I use food. But since I've basically decided to maintain for a while it's gotten a lot harder when the same sorts of stresses come up, such that I think I really need to work on some of the underlying stuff more. Which of course I don't want to!

This is how I regained 30 of the 50 lbs I lost a few years ago. Life got stressful and I started going out to dinner and eating and having wine as my break. I would sit at the bar and read my book and have dinner and wine and decompress. I covered this a couple of hundred (I am sure) pages back. Since I quit doing that and tracking and walking I have lost most of it but still fight the urge (and sometimes give in) when I am stressed. I do still eat and read at the same time, but now its mostly low cal soup or protein shakes.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    sydkins432 wrote: »
    I haven't gone over my calorie intake in over 50 days. My fitbit says i burn between 2300 and 3000 calories a day and I have only lost 5 pounds. I think they're is something wrong with me, but I am afraid to go to the doctor.

How much weight do you have to lose? Are you tracking your food on a digital food scale to make sure you're eating the correct portion?

Are you sure your fitbit is correct? I ran a marathon yesterday and only burned 2673 calories (46K steps). Unless you are running marathons every day or doing some other extended extreme exercise, your fitbit might be giving you inaccurate information...
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Russandol wrote: »
    1) I spent most of Friday evening and Sunday reading this thread. I'm now up to page 250.

2) I have issues with mindless eating. I wouldn't say I binge, but I sometimes eat rather aggressively, just shovelling stuff in to finish all of what I have on my plate/the box I'm holding. And then I feel a bit sick and uncomfortable afterwards. I don't know why I do it. I think it has something to do with being bullied for being fat and being uncomfortable eating around people (my father would tease me about how much I ate when I was younger, not maliciously but thinking he was being affectionate, and it's made me a little awkward about eating when he's around). The stupid thing is that I've lived on my own for 15 years, so there's no one around when I eat, but I still cram stuff in like I was trying to finish it before someone sees me.

3) I sometimes (rarely, like a few times a year) make myself throw up if I've eaten too much too fast (see point 2). I know this is terrible and I am trying to stop myself from doing it.

4) I remain convinced that no one can actually find me attractive. I keep worrying it's a joke or that the person would be disgusted to the point of revulsion if they actually got up close and personal (so to speak). Where I live (northern Europe), I don't get a lot of attention on a daily basis, but when I was on a longer trip last year with a mixed group (mainly North Americans), I was highly confused by the amount of attention I got. (Though I had to be alerted to the fact that I was being hit on rather blatantly since I apparently can't read signals like that. :expressionless: I just assume people are friendly/polite if they take an interest in me. I have such issues with my self-image that I can't fathom why anyone would be interested in me on a romantic level. Sure, I can flirt a little if I'm the one who starts it, but as soon as there'a any response from the other party, I clam up and get all wonky/awkward.)

5) This got way too long and way too personal.

6) I often worry that I'm a thread-killer. I think the last three threads I participated in died after my comment. :( I'f I kill this one too, I'm so sorry!

I love your fox!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My 10 yo dog started limping a few days ago. I took her to the vet. I spent $550 and he told me she needs ACL surgery. That's another $2,500. He said there is a greater than 70% chance she will have to have the other leg done too..... that's at least $2,500 more.

I'm having a really hard time with it. I love her but that is a TON of money. I feel like a horrible owner, but I keep thinking about how I can find a way to not do it.

She's not in "that" much pain, but she is not that great either - just kind of quiet.

I'm trying to justify it in my head even though I know I'm supposed to just do the surgery. I'm so bummed.

You're not a horrible dog owner. I'd seriously think about it too and I'm honestly not sure I would do it... 10 is a senior already, there are risks with every surgery, then there's recovery... and for all you know you'd end up paying $5000 and your dog might not live more than 2 more years, half of that would be spent in recovery... I'd ask if there are other ways of making the pain manageable for now. It's a LOT of money.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options

I got that!!

Okay! I will have my sword, crossbow, and zombie @ss kicking boots on and ready to go. I tend to run late though, so you may want to tell me you're going to be here sooner than you really will that way I'm ready to go!

ETA: Love the new profile picture even though it threw me off guard for a second. :smile:

I got that!!

I have guns, ammo, and usually at least 4 boxes of Quest bars. :p

I will have my bow, guns and ammo and lots of Kettle chips!

I may know where to find an awesome, tricked out Armored Personnel Carrier. I would have to steal it, but all is forgiven in a Zombie apocalypse, right?

Darn right! Plus, more than likely, law enforcement will be taken out first (present company excluded of course).

ETA: I can't figure out how editing works today. :neutral:

I will give you a week long head's up before hand. That should be good. Thanks for the like on my pic. Thought I should change it up. ;)
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When I was 24 (years later), a friend and I went to Turkey and decided impromptu to rent a car and drive from Istanbul to Izmir.
    You know... because who *doesn't* do that sort of thing on a whim...?! ;)

All we could get was a Fiat (manual, of course), that was a nightmare all around, including a trunk that wouldn't seem to work.
    I confess... that after reading that, I reacted as though I were about to watch a fascinating sporting event... and one for which the answer to the question, "how will this turn out?" is temporarily unknown, yet seems filled with the promise of containing more than one reality for which the response, "oh, this can't be good..." would likely apply... ;)

My friend was used to manuals, but realized she'd left her driver's license back in the US, so the plan was for her to help me to get back up to speed and then maybe for us to share once we were in a more remote area out of the city.
    (This 'scene' seems ripe for a comic payoff, if/when seen on a tv show, or in a movie... ;) )

But I quickly realized that there was no way I could manage driving in Istanbul in the manual (terrifying city to drive in in the best of circumstances), so we decided she'd drive out of the city and then we'd switch off.
    (The deafening silence one 'hears', in the wake of reading that, is the sound of fate being 'tempted'... :) )

Naturally, we managed to get pulled over
    Naturally! -- Because if there's one thing we can count on, it's that Murphy's Law will bite us in the as$ in any (nay -- *all*) of the most extreme 'out-of-our-element' moments in our lives -- and *especially* if the risk of 'abominable consequence' happens to be associated with such...!

and were completely convinced that we were going to be arrested and end up in Turkish prison,
    (-- like *that*!)

because it was obvious the policeman (a motorcycle cop--Turkish CHiPs)
    (Holy mother of all that is remarkable about this story... *Turkish CHiPs*! <-- that is perhaps the only 'genre' not yet cultivated for sitcom glory on television!)

lemurcat, you're a frickin' 'pitch machine' of story fare for studio executives, I swear...! ;)

was asking for her license, but we acted like dummies, gave him my license, our passports, and showed him the map,
    Ah, yes... the strategic feigning of ignorance... (brilliant!) :)

and finally I think he got annoyed with dealing with us and the language barrier
    (-- and brilliantly done! Mission Accomplished! :) )

Of all things... to have there be a 'usefulness' for non-fluency when in a country ripe for 'hostile misinterpretation' ;), *this* -- and specifically, the 'Oscar performances' associated with such, and for which you and your friend are deserving of awards for Best Supporting Actresses in a Mutually Co-Starring Role -- would seem to belong in whatever 'Hall of Fame' -type celebratory venue might ever exist for 'enshrining' any such 'linguistic MacGyver-like accomplishments'...

and just pointed us toward the bridge to Asia.

Lucky us.
    :)

(The driving did not get a lot less stressful in Asia, as we also thought the "scenic route" would be a good idea, but that's a different story.)
    Don't leave us hangin'! -- Do tell...! -- We wanna know the 'sequel' to this 'IRL Amazing Race'...! (Seriously!)

lemurcat, that wonderful anecdote is yet another reminder to me of how much fun it is to see random bits of conversation become 'pivot points'/'launch pads' to all kinds of unexpected whatnot... and in this case... from stick shift -to- a-foreign-rental-car-that-neither-party-can-'officially'-drive -to- Turkish CHiPs! -to- acting-scene-worthy-of-a-guest-stint-on-Inside-The-Actors-Studio! -to- taking-the-scenic-route-while-driving-through-Asia: bad-idea-edition -- cool! :smiley:
  • Sch614
    Sch614 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

It's not easy, no matter what you decide there's always guilt about what to do. I'm so sorry for you and your dog, it's such a heart breaking part of loving an animal like you do. Any chance the vet is too aggressive with the surgery option? Maybe another vet would do a 2nd opinion or provide a non surgery option? Maybe do some web searches on ACL treatments?