Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Oshun64 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hubby and I had "the discussion" about eating more sensibly and healthier, and less junk food, etc, etc, etc, this weekend. (He has more weight to lose than I do.) Thought we were on the same page, until he came home from the grocery store this evening with four bags of Oreos, chocolate ice cream, eight pounds of pork sausage patties, and a supersize bag of generic Reese's pieces cereal.

I'm not even sure we're in the same book, much less on the same page. How do you handle these situations??

2 oreos is around 100 calories

I fail to see the issue

The issue is not simply one of CICO. The OP's husband has a chronic medical condition that is often exacerbated by certain foods (ie. those with refined sugar). Just because you and others fail to see the issue does not mean that there is no issue.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Some people appear to get very het up by others making a decision to quit junk food. Those people must feel very defensive and insecure about choosing to eat such things themselves.
    This is an interesting perception and merely a projection of your own stuff. ;)

Yeah 'cause the husband bought 4 packs of oreos to have 2 cookies everyday ;)

Do you even know which part I'm disagreeing with, which has nothing to do with Oreo cookies. ;) Hint: it's in bold.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hubby and I had "the discussion" about eating more sensibly and healthier, and less junk food, etc, etc, etc, this weekend. (He has more weight to lose than I do.) Thought we were on the same page, until he came home from the grocery store this evening with four bags of Oreos, chocolate ice cream, eight pounds of pork sausage patties, and a supersize bag of generic Reese's pieces cereal.

I'm not even sure we're in the same book, much less on the same page. How do you handle these situations??

I fail to see the issue

The issue is not simply one of CICO. The OP's husband has a chronic medical condition that is often exacerbated by certain foods (ie. those with refined sugar). Just because you and others fail to see the issue does not mean that there is no issue.

Some people appear to get very het up by others making a decision to quit junk food. Those people must feel very defensive and insecure about choosing to eat such things themselves.
    This is an interesting perception and merely a projection of your own stuff. ;)

Yeah 'cause the husband bought 4 packs of oreos to have 2 cookies everyday ;)

Did he?

I wholeheartedly concur.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

I fail to see the issue

I concurr. Lots of people like this in the forums.

"I fit junk food into my calorie limit everyday and lost a million pounds so you should do it to."

Yeah, no. It's about learning to eat in moderation, and helping people who try to go full on "all healthy food" (which most of the time leads to failure). If people learn over time to eat in moderation, and meet their macros and nutritional needs, they find they can still have the foods they enjoy in smaller portions. Things like cookies aren't 'off the table' forever, weight lost is still achieved, and long-term success is still there. There's no self-righteousness involved, as you seem to think. We're trying to help people be successful over the long haul.

I...don't think you understand the point I was making. But okay. He could technically eat in moderation. Just like anyone should be able to. Did he buy 4 packs of oreos just so he could eat 2-3 every now and then...I don't think so...I'm not saying he should cut junk food out forever and ever and ever just because he has some health issues. Of course, anyone who wants to cut junk food out of their diet should be able to if they wish, no questions asked, whether someone was able to lose 100 pounds eating 15 oreos a day or not.

"I fit junk food into my calorie limit everyday and lost a million pounds so you should do it to."

Are you sure? I bolded what you said, I don't see where any of what you are saying now (backtracking) fits what you said that I replied to.

I feel like we are having 2 different conversations

I've seen people say the first ("I fit 'junk foods' into my calorie limit"). The second part ("you should do it too") is more questionable.

Where are you seeing people being told they should eat certain foods?

I didn't say anything about people saying that other people should eat certain or specific foods. Some people on here get judgmental when they find out that another person has cut out a certain food they like for the sake of diet as opposed to them just saving, let's say, 200 calories for a damn cookie.

I think you struggle to accurately understand the tone and message of others when they write something that you disagree with.

Not surprising given she seems to struggle to accurately recall things she said earlier in the same thread.

So much this. Even when she's shown exactly what she said.

I think what you all fail to understand is that some people have more success if they give up entirely (not try to moderate) certain things. Just because moderation works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone, so the endless stream of advice along those lines may not be "helping" people in the way that you intend.

No-one's health is going to be harmed if they never ever eat an Oreo for the rest of their life. And if that thought actually makes someone unhappy, it would seem to indicate some kind of unhealthy psychological dependence.

You might be happy with your one or two; other people would rather have none. Don't know why that seems to be so hard to understand.

Right, thank you. Some people get it, some people don't. It is what it is, I guess.

You two are the people who don't get it, because your posts have absolutely nothing to do with what you are replying to.

Yup, pretty much. I always find it interesting that there are certain users that will agree with the only people making an off topic statement. Especially in a case like this. Someone agreed with a statement someone made that had absolutely nothing to do at all with anything. How 2 completely random strangers can agree on no point about something no one said is not suspicious at all.

it's a conspiracy.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I fail to see the issue

Yeah, no. It's about learning to eat in moderation, and helping people who try to go full on "all healthy food" (which most of the time leads to failure). If people learn over time to eat in moderation, and meet their macros and nutritional needs, they find they can still have the foods they enjoy in smaller portions. Things like cookies aren't 'off the table' forever, weight lost is still achieved, and long-term success is still there. There's no self-righteousness involved, as you seem to think. We're trying to help people be successful over the long haul.

I...don't think you understand the point I was making. But okay. He could technically eat in moderation. Just like anyone should be able to. Did he buy 4 packs of oreos just so he could eat 2-3 every now and then...I don't think so...I'm not saying he should cut junk food out forever and ever and ever just because he has some health issues. Of course, anyone who wants to cut junk food out of their diet should be able to if they wish, no questions asked, whether someone was able to lose 100 pounds eating 15 oreos a day or not.

Are you sure? I bolded what you said, I don't see where any of what you are saying now (backtracking) fits what you said that I replied to.

I've seen people say the first ("I fit 'junk foods' into my calorie limit"). The second part ("you should do it too") is more questionable.

I didn't say anything about people saying that other people should eat certain or specific foods. Some people on here get judgmental when they find out that another person has cut out a certain food they like for the sake of diet as opposed to them just saving, let's say, 200 calories for a damn cookie.

I think you struggle to accurately understand the tone and message of others when they write something that you disagree with.

^This.

After reading all the back and forth and applying my highly analytical mind (ahem)... so much this.

I fail to see the issue

Not surprising given she seems to struggle to accurately recall things she said earlier in the same thread.

Agree.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I fail to see the issue

I think what you all fail to understand is that some people have more success if they give up entirely (not try to moderate) certain things. Just because moderation works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone, so the endless stream of advice along those lines may not be "helping" people in the way that you intend.

No-one's health is going to be harmed if they never ever eat an Oreo for the rest of their life. And if that thought actually makes someone unhappy, it would seem to indicate some kind of unhealthy psychological dependence.

You might be happy with your one or two; other people would rather have none. Don't know why that seems to be so hard to understand.

I'm at a loss for words...because I don't think this is actually the subject matter of this thread.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

I fail to see the issue

I'm at a loss for words...because I don't think this is actually the subject matter of this thread.

Don't mind Chrys, she does this in every thread she visits.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

I fail to see the issue

Don't mind Chrys, she does this in every thread she visits.

Exactly.
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    what is the difference between candy cane and mint oreos? different mints?
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    Try to persuade him if he has sweettooth that he eats raw fruit, and not zero nutrient refined sugar in sweets. Bananas are a whole lot better, or apples. Even dried fruits are much better.

i fail to see the correlation between a sweet tooth and eating raw foods…..

Er... raw fruit is sweet..(?)
    ndj1979 wrote: »

and source of sugar does not matter...

I read something yesterday about why fruit sugar is "better" than added sugar in other carbohydrate-loaded foods. Apparently the digestion of sugar requires certain micronutrients that are also delivered in fresh fruit. However, if you eat (for example) a candy bar, it doesn't contain any of the vitamins required to digest it, so essentially by eating the candy bar you're dipping into (depleting) your reserve of micronutrients.

So, the logic that you can get your day's nutrition and then spend any 'leftover' calories on junk without detriment to your health is somewhat flawed...

3rd request for a link to the article you are saying you read.
    Just a morning update - I'll be reading through all the responses through the day,.. all four packages of Oreos have been opened and at least 2 cookies are gone from each. The packages will be finished within a week, I'm guessing.

As for addictions - food can be just as deadly an addiction as drugs, if not more so because you can't give it up completely like drugs or alcohol.

Not our first discussion by far - in fact he has gone to drastic extremes (WLS) which failed because he believed his gastric band would fix everything with no effort on his part.

Age does make a difference - the body does not recover as well from stressors and is much more prone to serious effects. So, to those of you in your 20s and 30s - make changes now. It will be much harder to lose it later.

I'll be back after work - keep this discussion rolling...

Did you ask him why he opened 4 different packages?

This is the greatest problem I've read so far in this thread. That is crazy talk. If there's going to be an intervention, it should be for this egregious violation.

Srs wtf are you gonna do with stale Oreos

You make bread pudding out of stale bread, I'll bet you can crunch up those stale oreos and make oreo pudding. use them in brownies or cookies or some other desert. Heck, grind them up and sprinkle them on top of your ice cream, or put them in homemade bread. Put them in a milkshake even.

DO NOT throw the stale oreos away!

1 package of oreos + 1 package of cream cheese mushed together. Form into small balls and refrigerate until set. Dip in chocolate or just devour straight away.

Oreo truffles.

i prefer without the extra layer of chocolate. but omg....they are heavenly

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It's so very much more complicated than just this latest issue. Diabetes killed his father, and we're all concerned that he is headed in the same direction. He is also 8 years out from failed WLS, and as for me, I am simply sick and tired of feeling sick and tired (ie, I don't want to become diabetic, I want to lower my bp, and I am not about to just sit back and be a spectator in my own life) This is the latest in our struggles, but I am determined to succeed this time - with or without his support. I know nagging or demanding he change won't work, but I wish he would at least care enough that he would want me to be healthy and then be supportive of my efforts ... but maybe he just can't be...

I don't know... around his WLS, I made sure I supported him... we're supposed to be in this together, and I hate knowing I'm in it alone, I guess.

Hugs. Don't have any advice, just support to you as you try to work your way through this.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    what is the difference between candy cane and mint oreos? different mints?

Hmm, good question! Green food coloring vs. red food coloring?

Hope all is going well (and better) with the OP.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I am now headed to the store for Oreos.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    TahoeSki wrote: »
    No, he's not ready. But that wouldn't stop me from picking up the bag of Oreos and saying WTF! It's really not fair to you to have all that crap in the house.

This. You all have to respect each other. Could he buy the junk and keep it out of sight, out of respect for you?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    vinerie wrote: »
    TahoeSki wrote: »
    No, he's not ready. But that wouldn't stop me from picking up the bag of Oreos and saying WTF! It's really not fair to you to have all that crap in the house.

This. You all have to respect each other. Could he buy the junk and keep it out of sight, out of respect for you?

What junk?
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

I am pre-diabetic, and my parent is a Type 1. As someone who works in the healthcare industry, I have seen the terrible effects of chronically high blood glucose. Continue to be 'militant' because those foods are completely off the table for medical reasons. It's mostly sugars and starches that non-insulin dependent diabetics (and some insulin-dependent diabetics) should avoid in mass quantity.

Some Type 2s won't get it until it's too late. :(

He keeps telling me that his diet must be fine because his blood tests come back fine (meaning his A1c is within acceptable limits for a diabetic on 3 different diabetes meds) Denial? It scares me, but not him...

Well you'll know what to look for in your second husband at least. ;)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Worst. Updates. Ever.

Did the OP's hubby eat all the Oreos in two days? Did he go back for more? Were they different flavored this time? We know variety is required for a well balanced diet - maybe some new kinds of cookies this time??? You're leaving me hanging here, lady