I am an internet know-it-all with an advanced degree...ask me anything about health, fitness or life

Options

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    If this thread reaches 1,000 posts, will you still respond to questions asked since you typically stay away from threads with 1,000 or more posts?
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    1. Humans cannot grasp how long (and how little) 1 million years is...

1) Relativity isn't the question. We have between our ears incomprehensibly more computing power than the largest supercomputer ever made. The material that covers our mechanics is self repairing.. If we ever made something remotely as glorious, we would call it a marvel of engineering, certainly not happenstance. And that is only two of perhaps millions of marvels of the human body.

2) Why do parrots dance when they hear their favorite music?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »
    Please compare and contrast LACP, UDLD, OAM as well as various port channels for network detection, aggregation and reliability. Specifically, please address the short comings of each for multihomed end nodes. Thanks!
    this is not relevant to health and fitness or life...nerd.
  • _John_
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If this thread reaches 1,000 posts, will you still respond to questions asked since you typically stay away from threads with 1,000 or more posts?

yes, as it will still be awesome since it is from me. I would wager a bet that someone asks a question that garners a response that evokes butthurt and ends this thread before then, or it fades into Bolivia before then.
  • _John_
    Options
    1. Humans cannot grasp how long (and how little) 1 million years is...

1) Relativity isn't the question. We have between our ears incomprehensibly more computing power than the largest supercomputer ever made. The material that covers our mechanics is self repairing.. If we ever made something remotely as glorious, we would call it a marvel of engineering, certainly not happenstance. And that is only two of perhaps millions of marvels of the human body.

2) Why do parrots dance when they hear their favorite music?
    1. I'm assuming this line of question is really a line of thinking for a non-religious acceptance of the theory of evolution vs. a diety created universe (and thus creation). That can be reconciled easily with the rhetorical statement that science is the study of how God did it.

2. Parrots have been shown to be intelligent creatures and music is cool.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Please compare and contrast LACP, UDLD, OAM as well as various port channels for network detection, aggregation and reliability. Specifically, please address the short comings of each for multihomed end nodes. Thanks!

Since it is relevant to my paycheck, it is therefore relevant to my life.
    P.S. The geeks shall inherit the earth! :p
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    the most brilliant marvels of engineering (the human)
    I think you should study human biology in more detail; the most marvellous thing about the human body is that it works at all given the sheer number of flaws in its "design" ;)

And yet it does. Brilliantly.

I remember a documentary of scientists using the latest in prosthetics, robotics, and an impressive array of processors. It cost nearly $1 million dollars to build.

It couldn't walk.
  • CJisinShape
    Options

:D:D:D
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    1) What did the snowman say to the other snowman?

2) How much weight does a woman have to bench press to be considered ok at the bench press?
  • _John_
    Options

2) How much weight does a woman have to bench press to be considered ok at the bench press?
    Snowmen can't speak.

2 1x her lean body mass
  • CJisinShape
    Options

Snowmen can't speak.

2 1x her lean body mass

1) He said, "Is it just me, or do you smell carrots?"
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Why oh why did Eve have to pick the apple? She made things hard for young ladies everywhere!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Can you make intuitive sense out of the fact that if you have 5 different non-replaceable items, say crayons, and you pick 3 of them, how many combinations do you get? you get 10. But, you can also get only 10 different combinations if you pick 2 from the 5. This seems counter- intuitive.
  • _John_
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    Why oh why did Eve have to pick the apple? She made things hard for young ladies everywhere!

Because chicks dig sweets
  • thefluffyone
    thefluffyone Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I remember a documentary of scientists using the latest in prosthetics, robotics, and an impressive array of processors. It cost nearly $1 million dollars to build.

It couldn't walk.
    Seems like an odd argument. Humans can't build something that can do certain things humans can do, therefore the human body works brilliantly? Humans have built machines that can lift weights far greater than we can. We've built machines that can solve mathematical problems (and hence real life problems) that we could never hope to do ourselves. There are robots that can walk, run, and even dance (for $8000 or less). But I don't see how any of these things has any bearing at all on how well the human body works.

The human body does not work "brilliantly". If it was that great it wouldn't suffer from cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, polio, congenital heart defects, and the many other problems that cut people's lives short. If it was brilliant, the birth canal wouldn't be small enough to cause complications for so many infants, the spine wouldn't be so prone to injury, and the knees wouldn't fail for so many people. A brilliant design wouldn't have us breathe and eat through the same tube, give us low-resolution eyes that see upside down and have a blind-spot, put a man's testicles on the outside... I could go on.

So by all means be happy to be alive, and be amazed that complex life exists. But don't delude yourself into thinking that the human body is some kind of marvel of engineering. If those scientists building robots had designed something like the human body, I think the designer would be fired for incompetence.
  • _John_
    edited June 2015
    Options

It couldn't walk.
    Seems like an odd argument. Humans can't build something that can do certain things humans can do, therefore the human body works brilliantly? Humans have built machines that can lift weights far greater than we can. We've built machines that can solve mathematical problems (and hence real life problems) that we could never hope to do ourselves. There are robots that can walk, run, and even dance (for $8000 or less). But I don't see how any of these things has any bearing at all on how well the human body works.

The human body does not work "brilliantly". If it was that great it wouldn't suffer from cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, polio, congenital heart defects, and the many other problems that cut people's lives short. If it was brilliant, the birth canal wouldn't be small enough to cause complications for so many infants, the spine wouldn't be so prone to injury, and the knees wouldn't fail for so many people. A brilliant design wouldn't have us breathe and eat through the same tube, give us low-resolution eyes that see upside down and have a blind-spot, put a man's testicles on the outside... I could go on.

So by all means be happy to be alive, and be amazed that complex life exists. But don't delude yourself into thinking that the human body is some kind of marvel of engineering. If those scientists building robots had designed something like the human body, I think the designer would be fired for incompetence.

b0pgd.jpg
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

It couldn't walk.

You're not the one answering questions here. Please request to have your post removed.

To the answer-giver: Is the Google the best place to go for gifs?
    i-dont-know-google-it_1073.gif
  • _John_
    Options

It couldn't walk.

You're not the one answering questions here. Please request to have your post removed.

To the answer-giver: Is the Google the best place to go for gifs?
    i-dont-know-google-it_1073.gif
    Yep...just make sure appropriate filters are on at work as NSFW gifs exist