WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Becca: I'm thinking of you and your DH today. :heart:

IremeiaRe: I'm a Duck, too. And it has been a lot more than 15 years since I graduated in1970, 46 years and counting. I loved my time there. We stayed in Eugene for several years after graduation but eventually had to move to the Portland area for DH's work. :cry: Things eventually worked out very well. :smiley:

Gloria: My heart breaks for the loss of your niece's little boy. :broken_heart:

Kim: Good luck on the interview. I know you'll shine. :flowerforyou:

Alison: My dentist is never in the room while the dental hygienists are doing teeth cleaning in his practice. He stops in briefly to have a look in the patient's mouth & the hygienist is somewhere else. Maybe it is something they're taught in dental school. I don't know. :flowerforyou:

Mary: Thanks for the kettle bell videos. You've always impressed me, but now that I know what you're doing, I'm in awe. :star:

Gloria: Terri with the bowling son had a job promotion and doesn't have free access to the internet while at work any more. She has stopped in a couple of times. I had the impression that she used to post from her work computer. :smile:

Heather: I so appreciate traveling vicariously through your posts! Thank you for sharing your adventures. :heart:

My calendar is empty today & I have no idea what I'm going to do to be active. It is not a pretty day so far & my exercise will likely need to be indoors. I wonder whether I can talk DH into going to the gym and riding the recumbent exercycles. At home I purged old paperback books yesterday and donated them to the library book sale. We've made nice strides toward cleaning up our room but aren't yet done.

Katla in "Beautifully moist" NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all. Some of you may remember my Benny Beagle (him of the hundreds of meds a week). The vet wanted him to be about 80% normal on his newest regime. Well I am glad to report he’s about 98% normal! It’s so nice to be able to sleep throughout the night without all that coughing! I think the turmeric made the difference! We started it about a week after the rest since I had to order online on Friday of Memorial Day weekend, so it was delayed. But that really put him over the top!

Isabel: welcome to our group! Be kind to yourself!

Linda/IA: happy belated birthday!

Laoighse: that is a lovely name!

Becca: ok your post made me hangry!  happy birthday to you!

DJ: sending lots of prayers for your friend and (((hugs))) to you

Theresakruz48: welcome and congratulations on such a huge life change!

Lenora; will your driving restrictions be lifted after going for a specific time without seizures? That would be very difficult for me to manage!

Michele: you sound like me when I’m talking….that random “Why am I so hot suddenly” made me laugh out loud! I must have no filter because I just say whatever pops into my head at the time it pops!

RE: I really think I am through menopause despite what the lab shows. I didn’t have a bad time of it because when I started having really long periods I got on Depo Provera right away. So no periods at all for about 4 years. I had the occasional hot flash (and like Michele I would yell “Why am I so hot suddenly!”). I did also have really bad mood swings so my doctor put me on Zoloft for a while which really helped. So my advice would be those two meds if you think you need them. You may have to advocate for yourself to get them, but I’ll tell you what after seeing my friends and co-workers go through it, it was a breeze for me!

Joyce; sounds like Charlie is doing well. I had a “whale on the boat” experience too in Florida! We were out snorkeling as well then it came time to get in our kayaks which required getting back in the boat first. OMG we were all laughing so hard if there had been sharks we still would have laughed!

Gloria: my heart breaks for you and your family. I could sense Superman’s spirit in your description of him.

Karen: why do you have an affinity for us Nebraskans? That is nice to know! I have an affinity for us too LOL! Thanks for the info on Vicki; I wasn’t sure what was going on with her. Yes, that was a horrible tragedy about Lane; I just can’t even imagine. I realize sometimes people die or get injured on vacation but that was so unspeakably horrible.

Grandmallie: I would not be very happy with a dentist who was rude to me in front of patients. That would require a talk!

Heather: I so enjoy hearing about your trip.

OK well I had best get some actual work done here at work, so I shall sign off for now. Take care all, Meg from Omaha

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps
  • prbford64
    prbford64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA – I probably read about the 5/2 plan, but I can’t recall the details because I was so focused on the 18:2 structure. What is 5/2?

OMD, Carol! How awful for the child hit by the mini-van in your neighborhood, and for his mom! (BTW, y’all, “OMD” means “OhMiDog!” LOL!) I sure hope he will be ok! How lucky for you that your Mom is still living! I lost my Mom in 1986, and my Dad in 1998. I miss them both so much! I have 3 siblings – 2 sisters and 1 brother, all older than me (hehehe!). Although they all live about 4 hours from me, I visit often. Family is precious!

Dawn – your kids are golden if they’ll actually do the dishes, take out the trash, or vacuum without having to be asked!

Barbie – what a relaxing & fun morning you’ll have! Though, I think anything involving dogs is fun!

MN Mary – Because I get up so early in the AM (usually between 4-5 AM), I go to bed pretty early. I don’t think I could eat that late and be able to sleep well! I have a sensitivity to gluten, and GF substitutes are just too expensive – not to mention so highly processed – so giving them us hasn’t been very hard for me, luckily! I’ve cut out everything like tortilla chips (which I LOVED!!!), bread, etc. I’m not even tempted to make the Oopsie bread. I feel like that would be a slippery slope for me and it’s just easier to abstain since the LCHF way of eating is so satisfying relative to my hunger and cravings. It seems like a 400-500 calorie LCHF meal holds me really well, so much so that I was somewhat forcing myself to eat even 3 times a day. I’ll give this 16:8 fast a whirl and see how it goes. I’m glad you’re finding ways of eating that work for you – that’s more than half the battle, I think!

Heather – your travels sound so exciting, and the photos are just beautiful! Enjoy, and y’all stay safe!

Have a super afternoon, everyone!

Paula in NE North Carolina
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Happy 6-16-16....ok its sounds so Ominous.....but I shall be at the Senior Luncheon, serving nice people and singing some opera now and then.....so its ALL GOOD!

THANK YOU all so much for your congratulatory messages to me yesterday. I woke up this morning to a FINE group of ladies all crouched around my computer yelling HAPPY BIRTHDAY...well that is how I perceived it :smiley: .

I did have sort a birthday dinner, in that my dear husband made me his yummy red beans and Rice (from a packet but oh still so good). While he was doing that, I drove to the store to buy some sour cream, and stuff for my "cake". I came home and made a burrito with the red beans and rice mixture, then put on some cheese, lettuce, stewed tomatoes, and a dollop of sour cream! HAPPY GIRL!! OK I love sour cream....I will limit my intake of the container, I promise... Then I made "mini loaves" brownies, and put a blob of chocolate ice cream and HOT fudge sauce on it all. Son and dear husband sang to me. I ate it, yelling out many Jeopardy questions...and many of them were RIGHT!!

Also I had a long phone call from my middle sister. She sang to me on the phone. We have decided to just grow old together....and that her huge house will be a family Senior Center...with a large van going to Karaoke Nights.... (a Senior Center for old people only in our family....that is...and a childhood friend that is like a sister to us all). I talked to her grandkids, and they called me Auntie Becca!

Have a great day all!
    Becca
    oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Sorry about all the autocorrects in my post. It should read flatbreads, not flat beds. Also the fizzy emoticon is following my posts around and getting in the way!

So, best wishes Barbie for your journeys.
    Cheri - great news. A choice! :)
    Becca - Think of you a lot. <3
    Joyce - You too. Glad things seem to be on the mend.
    Vicki - Hope things are ok.

You are all in my heart, but with extremely limited Internet access I'm not being as supportive as I would like. I know some of you like to hear of my goings on, so I've been concentrating on that.
    But I am reading, even if it takes an AGE to load and even longer to get a post on. I have to try several times.

Oh, tonight's menu has just slid under the door. Love to all.
    Heather, sailing down the fjord.
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Barbie I totally understand- your focus should be on Jake. Just know that I am here if I can do anything for you. <3

Thanks Katla for the update on Terri. I used to wonder how she got to spend so much time talking to us at work. Darn it - too bad about the promotion I miss her! >:)

DGS#1 graduated from 5th grade on Tuesday - off to middle school (ugh) and the tuba (yay!) We are getting a tuba for summer so he can get to know it and be prepared for next school year.

• pipcd34
    Options
    Z
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Pip I know that z is not for sleeping as in get your ZZZZZZZZZZs. - Do you ever actually sleep? I'll bet you're riding your bike in your dreams :)
  • theresakruse48
    theresakruse48 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! Just got home from aqua calisthenics for 90 mins and running a couple errands. I ate lunch and i am in my recliner because my knee pain is off the charts. I had surgery on it in Feb. and ever since then the pain is worse. Now the ortho is talking about another surgery and a knee replacement in 2yrs. Why not go ahead and do the knee replacement now? I'm sick of always hurting and limping! Thoughts anyone?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Katla- i'm glad you appreciated the Videos. It is not as hard as it looks because you start out with a lighter weight just the same as in heavy lifting. What is heavy for you at that time. I started with a 10 pound weight now I'm transitioning into 35 pounds. You slowly build up strength and endurance because they build up reps and sets for a five-week program then you increase your weight for the next five weeks it's really very simple. You could start out with a 5 pound dumbbell. it is sometimes nice to have an empty calendar. And it is very nice that your husband is sometimes willing to exercise with you!

Paula - you are very right everyone has to find what works best for them. I have combined a lot of different diet programs. I do enjoy the LCHF food choices as well. I can only stay on it for a short period of time though because I do enjoy my carbs on occasion. I am really definitely going to look up carb cycling.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Afternoon chica's-
    I am sitting sweating up a storm...just finished the lawn and it's a scorcher out there..
    Took dad,tracy and Tal down to board of Ed to get Tal set for school,dad needed to go as he is the host,meaning that's where there staying...sio he and Tracy had to sign a notarized paper and Taliah all set,then since we were in the car grandpa wanted to show off his girls at the coumidin clinic Tracy wasn't keen on going as ol whistle boy keeps a tight rein on her,but we went and got home in good time...picked Chester up at groomers and then did the lawn..
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Good morning all: I am on this morning because the afternoon will be busy with PT and grocery shopping. Cherries are on sale. Yeah!!! Got some mowing and trimming in this morning too. I am here talking to you ladies now to keep myself from eating unnecessary snacks.

Go Pip go!!! I know you will make 400 well before the end of the month.

Gloria - So sorry about Alexander. It sounds like he tried hard.

Kim - Sending good energy to you for the interview.

Theresa - If there is pain but no instability they will have you try to put off the replacement as long as possible. The life of a replacement is currently about 15-20 years at this point and they don't like to do them over. They will do them earlier if there is instability and possibility of falls. I had my first one done in 2004 when I was 56. There is now a grade one instability in that knee again and it may have to eventually be redone. Part of that is the type of replacement done at that time. Newer ones are better. I am currently doing PT to see if strengthening will help. I am hoping weight loss will help too.

All of you wonderful ladies take care, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    Options
    [/bGlowormin] - haha, u would think I dream biking.

sKuehn thanks, I'm goin.

I was planning on riding home yesterday but I got a flat 1/4 of a mile into it. Walked the bike back to the train station. Then walked the bike hm. Have my winter bike now. Nice having two bikes
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    :)Alison, I am so happy to hear that you are being paid for work that you seemed to be doing for free for a long time....also glad that you are going to keep the money you earned in your own account and not have Tom be the one that decides how it should be spent.

:)Mary, thanks for the videos...I don't have a kettle bell so I use a weight...the funny thing is that my husband thinks that kettle bells are dangerous but he think what I'm doing with a 20 pound dumbbell is any problem.

:)Heather, congrats on speaking Norwegian with to native speakers

:)Cherie, congrats on your husband's job offers...a very interesting choice to make

:):) I have officially stopped whining about having to drive in Seattle...too many of you routinely drive in urban traffic and do so with alacrity...it's time for me to grow up.

<3 Barbie
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,327 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've been trying to catch up but can't read fast enough! I'm trying out reading backwards.

The filling just broke in one of my chewing teeth! I'm hoping the rest stays put until I can get to the dentist in the morning.

Theresa It's the same with hips in the UK. I had to go private in the end as the NHS waiting lists were so long.

Pip Bad luck on the puncture! Lucky you have a backup bike!

Heather You are building anticipation in my soul for Our July journey North!

Gloria So sorry to hear about the little boy. I can't imagine what you are all going through.
    Congrats for DGS graduating! A little chink in the darkness!

Becca Sorry I missed your birthday. Sounds like it was a good one!

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:star: Greetings to any Newcomers! :star:

:star: Let your light shine out in the darkness :star:

80464089.png

:star::):heart: :):star:

Irish Terri

45rhr2eq0dq6.jpg

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Karen in VA - Thanks for the morning greetings! It was the first thing I read this morning. :smiley: Then I tried to download a biggish file and the iffy internet here on my paradise island crashed. :grumble: But at least my day began well!

Gloria - Sorry to hear about Alexander. Losing him must be so painful for his family.

Linda - Thanks for describing Donna's departure from this life. I've heard several similar stories about shut-ins who have been non-responsive for a long time waking up and starting to smile. Music apparently activates primal parts of us that lie deep inside and can't be reached through the ordinary channels.

Carey - Hooray for two smoke-free years! And congratulations to everyone else who has managed to get that particular monkey off their backs! Proud of you! :+1::heart: :+1:

Cheri - Michigan or Texas? What a geographic spread of jobs your husband must choose from! I hope whatever he decides on suits you both.

Lisa - I hear you about how having job options can make it easier to stick with the one you have. I've been in that situation a few times in my life - most recently at the beginning of this year. It forced me to think about my situation in much more concrete terms, weighing advantages against disadvantages. I realized I was pretty darn happy where I am now - despite all my grumbling during stress weeks.

So right after I wrote that, I got an email asking if I could give a one-week course in November. :/ It would be back-to-back with another course already scheduled for the week before, and probably coincide with a few evening classes. :( Same old stress-week-DELUXE phenomenon I was up against last year. :s But the alternative date they suggested would have forced me to make three round-trip airplane journeys between Svalbard and Stockholm in just six weeks and my environmental conscience simply won't allow me to do that! :noway:

Tired now. Going to hit the sack.

/Penny, enjoying tall trees and green grass 2000 kilometers south of the North Pole
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Barbie- that 20 pound weight is just as heavy as a 20 pound kettle bell LOL I like the Kettlebell for the heavier weights because the handle gives me a good grip. You're doing fantastic!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    <3
    So tonight over dinner, after a lovely day, we argued about the extent of Norwegian oil revenues, the consequences of the up coming EU vote for the UK and I don't know what else. He has gone off to the evening Elvis tribute and here I am, writing to you. We both think we know everything.

Happy for so many things, Hesther
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! Just got home from aqua calisthenics for 90 mins and running a couple errands. I ate lunch and i am in my recliner because my knee pain is off the charts. I had surgery on it in Feb. and ever since then the pain is worse. Now the ortho is talking about another surgery and a knee replacement in 2yrs. Why not go ahead and do the knee replacement now? I'm sick of always hurting and limping! Thoughts anyone?

My husband had his left knee replaced three years ago, then a year ago the took out the replacement and put in a new, different type, replacement. It still hurts, he has permanent nerve damage and told me several times now that he wished he had his own knee back.

On the other hand, I had both knees replaced in the past year and have done marvelously. I'm so pleased that I had it done. I do weight resistance training three days a week which includes 36 squats holding weights each of the three days. I would never have believed it. My knees had been bone on bone for 5 years or so.

Good luck, I certainly hope the pain improves.

Janetr OKC