Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,349 Member
    Options
    Okay back from lunch, Dawn you said you tried a couple things over 3 weeks, think long term changes. Stop and think what it is first thing I can do to improve my health/eating habits - one only one - and start there then couple weeks add another - there is no fast SAFE solution for this - if there was we would all be doing it.

Quit kicking yourself it does not burn calories!!
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Dawn, go ahead a take a bit to de-stress but dont give up altogether. pick one thing to focus on so you are not overwhelmed. just one thing to do. either log or walk/exercise or whatever you choose. just dont feel like you need to do everything all at the same time. baby steps! take it one thing at a time. I have also found it a lot easier not to look at the scales. go by how you feel, how clothes fit, or another benchmark. dont live or die by the numbers on the scale. (and its worth noting that now that i am walking more, it is a stress reducer. am able to sleep better and am a lot less tense. its a good outlet.) we are here for you Dawn! <<hugs>>
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Sara - a friend of mine makes small dog & cat beds out of old sweatshirts/sweaters and uses plastic bags from stores as stuffing. looks pretty simple and easy (and cheap!) to make and her animals love them.
    This link shows how to make one, but like i said, she stuffs hers with plastic grocery/shopping bags instead of using pillow and polyfill:
    https://www.handimania.com/diy/sweatshirt-pet-bed.html
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Kathryn you and I are on the same page which Dawn's next chapter. I was thinking Dawn if you focused on exercise would it help in your work with picking up animals easier and walking them longer??

Not sure about dinner, but laundry is on tap, what a fun way to spend Friday - got my first reward box on my doorstep - 2 books, a timer and a meat thermometer - so exciting!!! It wasnt food and that was my restriction. Thrift stores Monday after my mammogram is on my wish list.

Friday Night at Lana's Palm Tree - country line dancing??? Gossip couch will be big enough for all.
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your ideas, kind words and encouragement. I wish I could walk the dogs more at work. Not just for me, for the dogs well being. There's just so much going on all the time. New girl at work mentioned walking on lunch. Tried to hint that I want to walk (same lunch) maybe, I should just come out and ask. Just so shy. One of my biggest issues with food, is not so much quantity, but what. I never realized how much I eat Carbs. I really just beat myself up. Over everything. I just need a breather. If I could just figure out a way to kick start...I just seem so stuck...
  • Rocky_Runa
    Rocky_Runa Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

Been lurking for a couple days. My depression has taken a massive dive and my motivation jumped ship with it!! Trying to take it a day/hour/minute at a time. But I know that overall, my eating is much better. I used to yo-yo all the time. Now I average my caloric intake better. No longer jumping from 400-6,000 per day at any given time.

Just picked up a book from the library “Why you eat what you eat - the science behind our relationship with food” by Rachel Herz, a neuroscientist. Just published this year. So far it seems pretty interesting.

Hoping to hang out around the house and get stuff done this weekend. We’ll see how that goes.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    SATURDAY

Good morning,

Found the PINK book - it had fallen between my desk and dresser - so quote today is:

Once I learn to use the number on the scale as information, dieting will be easier.

This one is good because we judge ourselves and our whole week (if we weigh in weekly) based on this number. This number only tells you what has worked/not worked - or it makes no sense!! Dont judge yourself by that number. Did you walk daily? Did you leave the box of doughnuts behind? Those are the victories not that scale ##.

Okay - I have 3 days off (3 apts on Monday made it stupid to even bother to go to work). I have my to do list and walking 2 times today/tomorrow and once Monday to "check off".

Temps are cooler here which is welcome. Shopping this morning - zucchini enchiladas on tap to make.

Wave to all who follow.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,809 Member
    Options
    arniedog74 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your ideas, kind words and encouragement. I wish I could walk the dogs more at work. Not just for me, for the dogs well being. There's just so much going on all the time. New girl at work mentioned walking on lunch. Tried to hint that I want to walk (same lunch) maybe, I should just come out and ask. Just so shy. One of my biggest issues with food, is not so much quantity, but what. I never realized how much I eat Carbs. I really just beat myself up. Over everything. I just need a breather. If I could just figure out a way to kick start...I just seem so stuck...

Since I’ve been tracking I was shocked to see there are days where I are nothing but carbs. It’s was really eye opening and so very hard to avoid doing. I find especially now that cooler weather has hit carbs is the main ingredient in 95% of my go to meals.
    I understand the shyness of asking the other girl to walk but I bet you’ll enjoy it if you can get past it and ask.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    RunaMarti wrote: »
    Hey all!

Been lurking for a couple days. My depression has taken a massive dive and my motivation jumped ship with it!! Trying to take it a day/hour/minute at a time. But I know that overall, my eating is much better. I used to yo-yo all the time. Now I average my caloric intake better. No longer jumping from 400-6,000 per day at any given time.

Just picked up a book from the library “Why you eat what you eat - the science behind our relationship with food” by Rachel Herz, a neuroscientist. Just published this year. So far it seems pretty interesting.

Hoping to hang out around the house and get stuff done this weekend. We’ll see how that goes.

Depression just sucks, I hope you find a positive in the next couple days and can start feeling better.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Options

Saturday - Good morning All~~

Dawn and Runa - I am sending big hugs your way. Good words are hard for me to find right now. Keep on checking in here at The Cabana Club. As Sara says, we have a big gossip couch.

Sara - The Pink Book! Ahhhhhhhhh! And to think, I have mine covered with blue and green wrapping paper from back in the day when I had it at work and wanted to keep what it was private. I guess I can take that cover off now!

Beck's pearls of wisdom are just super:

"Once I learn to use the number on the scale as information, dieting will be easier"

I am indeed going to go to the WW meeting at noon, since I have a rental car this week. I will report back later on. I am figuring I will do the 3-month (one month free) starter program, and take it from there.

*tossing beach bag onto favorite lounge chair for later*

Lana

242.2 today
    250.0 highest
    222.0 birthday goal, gah
    185.0 goal
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    How do I bookmark this thread so I won't lose it?
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    How do I bookmark this thread so I won't lose it?

On the top right hand side there is a star. If you click the star it turns yellow and then will show in your notifications
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Hi Ladies~~

I'm back from the WW meeting. The materials are nice, as ever. The meeting leader here in North Carolina is 5-star, which matters a lot; and the meeting members seem to be a very good bunch. Yay.

*collapsing onto lounge chair*

Lana
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Lana - glad you went and meeting was a success. Definitely helps when leader and members are good, helpful, supportive.

Tracy - yes, carbs are in everything I eat. Fall and winter is terrible. Thinking of finding great recipes for different squash. I found 1 for a Butternut squash soup, once. It was delicious and would love to try again. Just got to look.

Runa- I understand depression. Funny that this is my favorite time of year... but, always brings out my depression... good for you not eating your feelings. Hope you find a bright spot, soon.

Sara - good luck with appointments. More prize boxes coming?

Trying logging, again. Right away, I realize 1 reason I stopped... can't find many foods and have to guess at ingredients/nutrients...
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Dawn, can you keep a journal instead that says "half can of soup" etc? Check Skinnytaste. com for butternut squash and other squash recipes.

Next prize is a shop at a thrift store down the road from my mammogram. I need little larger sizes for awhile and dont have $$ to pay full price. Will look for yarn and kitchen items while I am there as well.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Dawn, can you keep a journal instead that says "half can of soup" etc? Check Skinnytaste. com for butternut squash and other squash recipes.

Next prize is a shop at a thrift store down the road from my mammogram. I need little larger sizes for awhile and dont have $$ to pay full price. Will look for yarn and kitchen items while I am there as well.

I think about doing a journal, but always forget. Going to do my best to track for a couple weeks...see if I can find something that helps...I just get frustrated and wanna give up. I will check out SkinnyTaste for recipe, thanks. Thrift store visit sounds like a good prize to me. Hope you can find what you are looking for!
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    SUNDAY

Good morning,

Groceries and then home. Cooking is on tap today. Will try and set up as many meals as I can. Tomorrow day off, but so many appointments I will be on the road good part of day - so lunch will be my best choices.

Enjoyed my nap with dog yesterday, tried to switch where I slept last night and dog wanted her space so she slept on top of me, luckily she does not weigh much.....

Wave to all who follow.
  • LanaCabana537
    edited September 2018
    Options
    arniedog74 wrote: »

Trying logging, again. Right away, I realize 1 reason I stopped... can't find many foods and have to guess at ingredients/nutrients...

Dawn?
    I like to acknowledge that there is a difference between logging/journalling and tracking/counting calories or points.

In the past when I was in a bad mood or over-busy, I would settle for just logging/journalling. All I would do is write down in a book what I was eating and doing for exercise without looking up the stats.
    It's better than doing nothing, I think, and the benefit for me was I could at least check over the day to see if I got my dairy and protein and some fruit or veggie.

Maybe give that a try?

Lana
  • LanaCabana537
    Options
    SUNDAY

Good morning,

Groceries and then home. Cooking is on tap today. Will try and set up as many meals as I can. Tomorrow day off, but so many appointments I will be on the road good part of day - so lunch will be my best choices.

Enjoyed my nap with dog yesterday, tried to switch where I slept last night and dog wanted her space so she slept on top of me, luckily she does not weigh much.....

Wave to all who follow.

Oh Sara - That sounds wonderful to have a doggie to sleep on top of you. I bet she is a cutie.

Lana

243.2 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    My chores are done for the weekend so I can go to my appointments tomorrow with nothing hanging over me. Hope I find a good second pair of glasses and with any luck something to wear at the Thrift store.

Zucchini enchiladas in oven and will be dinner. Will have 4 for leftovers/freezer. Early enough still to take a walk.

Wishing all a good night.