November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Since I've done 4 half marathons since June, but have never done an actual HM race, I'm wondering if I should do an event on November 26, considering I just did a HM on Sunday November 13.
    ETA: Now the website is saying it's on December 4. Even better.

Thanks, @juliet3455 and @OSUbuckeye906

Dammit, though, I forgot I'm parkrun Run Director here on December 3, and it would mean a very late night on public transport 300 km to get to where I need to be for the early morning of the 4th.

Hmm, I know I don't sleep much the night before an event... you're making me think it's possible! Now to sort out logistics!

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November Goal: have as much fun running as Lily the Whippet does!

11/1 6.50
    11/2 got distracted by some silly ball game...
    11/3 3.20
    11/4 2.05
    ...and off for a couple days as I travel to Vegas to meet with the whole famdamily including son who was supposed to be dead by now!
    11/5, 6,7 travel
    11/8 2.50
    11/9 3.40
    11/10 travel
    11/11 family reunion/travel/playing cards/arguing politics/walking for miles in Vegas
    11/12 ditto
    11/13 6.38 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 10k....and more family reunion drama (tl:dr....family sometimes sucks....)
    11/14 travel/15 hour airport layover, redeye overocean flight
    11/15 nap...may try a treadmill run later....(didn't happen)
    11/16 3.20

Total: 27.23

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas Rock n Roll 10k 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and total to date:
    exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    01 November – 10.3 km
    03 November – 10 km
    5 November – 5.1 km parkrun
    8 November – 7.3 km
    9 November – 3.1 km
    10 November – 11 km
    12 November – 7.6 km including parkrun
    13 November – 21.3 km in the rain
    15 November – 10.2 km
    17 November – 9 km

Goal: 200 km
    Total: 94.9 km

Hilly but slow 9 km.

I pity people who run in the evening. They don't get to experience the runner's high for long. Or do they?

I'm such a happy camper due to my morning runs! :smiley:

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    finally I seem to be managing to get myself back into a regime of getting up to run.

I had even been researching SAD lights, a combination one that also worked as a sunrise lamp, but after researching, the very next morning I awoke bright and breezy at 6am just before my alarm went off. So maybe I don't need that after all!!

Twice on the dreadmill this week. I can't wait until the mornings get lighter and I can get back outside. Things I hate about the treadmill are:
    • it's a constant pace - when I run outside I am CONSTANTLY micro-adjusting my pace, and I find the treadmill a strain on my body
    • the TV stations are crap - sometimes I end up in front of the QVC-type show, where I get to see constant repetitions of the latest coffee ninja machine. Or Charms. Who knew that was on so early?
    • I have to have my headphones up so loud to drown out Heart FM, and I don't really want to listen to stuff when I run (currently on the second season of Undisclosed Podcast)
    • I struggle to maintain good posture. Because the ground is constant beneath me, there's no micro-adjusting of my feet, ankles and hips, so towards the end of my run I find my hips beginning to hurt as they have tightened up.
    • I don't get to feel the sunlight on my face and feel the world waking up around me.
    • There's no wind to cool me down, so when I get too hot it's a fine line between me being naked and coping with sweat pouring off me. (thinking about it, I've not seen anything in the gym rules that says you MUST wear clothes, only that you have to wear shoes and socks when deadlifting)

But I soldier on, and at least I have the weekends to get out during daylight hours - have a hike planned Saturday so will try and squeeze a long run in Sunday weather permitting.

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Twice on the dreadmill this week. I can't wait until the mornings get lighter and I can get back outside. Things I hate about the treadmill are:
    • it's a constant pace - when I run outside I am CONSTANTLY micro-adjusting my pace, and I find the treadmill a strain on my body
    • the TV stations are crap - sometimes I end up in front of the QVC-type show, where I get to see constant repetitions of the latest coffee ninja machine. Or Charms. Who knew that was on so early?
    • I have to have my headphones up so loud to drown out Heart FM, and I don't really want to listen to stuff when I run (currently on the second season of Undisclosed Podcast)
    • I struggle to maintain good posture. Because the ground is constant beneath me, there's no micro-adjusting of my feet, ankles and hips, so towards the end of my run I find my hips beginning to hurt as they have tightened up.
    • I don't get to feel the sunlight on my face and feel the world waking up around me.
    • There's no wind to cool me down, so when I get too hot it's a fine line between me being naked and coping with sweat pouring off me. (thinking about it, I've not seen anything in the gym rules that says you MUST wear clothes, only that you have to wear shoes and socks when deadlifting)

Haha, this list made me laugh as it would pretty much be my reasons for hating the treadmill as well. Especially the TV and the sweat!!

Sitting here drinking my coffee trying to convince myself to get out there for a run. I'm pretty tired but I don't have to be at work for another 3 hours and it's not like I'm going to go back to bed at this point. Mine as well get out for a short run.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I pity people who run in the evening. They don't get to experience the runner's high for long. Or do they?

I love my morning runs too, even though they are in the dark. Although, I remember 2 years ago when we actually had some cold days in Florida, I ran in the afternoon and I really liked that too. I just worry all day that something will happen and I won't be able to run. So if I do in the morning, it's done!

5 miles in perfect temps - around 55 F. Started with a light long sleeve shirt on top and stripped it off after 1 mile. Edit - I did have a short sleeve shirt underneath.

11/1 - 4.3 miles
    11/2 - strength training
    11/3 - rest day
    11/4 - 4.5 miles + strength training
    11/5 - 34 miles biking
    11/6 - 9 miles
    11/7 - 3 miles
    11/8 - 4.1 miles
    11/9 - rest/mourning day
    11/10 - 5 miles
    11/11 - 4.1 miles + strength training
    11/12 - 4.1 miles
    11/13 - 51 miles biking
    11/14 - 4.1 miles
    11/15 - 5 miles
    11/16 - strength training
    11/17 - 5 miles
    11/18
    11/19 - S
    11/20 - S
    11/21 -
    11/22
    11/23
    11/24 - streak starts :cookie:
    11/25
    11/26 - S
    11/27 - S
    11/28
    11/29
    11/30 - 5K

Upcoming races
    11/30/16 - I/ITSEC 5K
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    11/1: 3 miles
    11/2: rest
    11/3: 4 miles
    11/4: 3 miles
    11/5: 7 miles
    11/6: 5 miles
    11/7: 3.6 miles
    11/8: 4.4 miles
    11/9: rest
    11/10: 4 miles
    11/11: 5 miles
    11/12: 9 miles
    11/13: 4 miles
    11/14: 4 miles
    11/15: 6 miles
    11/16: 4 miles
    11/17: 3 miles

TOTAL: 69/70

3 easy miles at a slow 30:45 (10:15 pace). Ran 3 1-mile loops around my apartment complex and circling the neighboring strip mall in order to keep a flat route that I knew I needed today. Run felt good except for the increased nagging/tenderness in my shin. Today marks 8 days in a row of running and tomorrow will be a rest day. Logistically, pushing my rest day back made sense but probably not the best thing for my body. Going to have to remember that 6-7 days is my max right now.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    11/1- 6.05
    11/2- 6.13
    11/3- 6.01
    11/4- 6.12
    11/5- 10.25
    11/6- Rest
    11/7: 6.05
    11/8- 6.01
    11/9- 6.02
    11/10- 6.14
    11/11- 6.01
    11/12-11.01
    11/13- REST
    11/14- 6.02
    11/15- 6.06
    11/16- 6.15
    11/17- 6.41

Total: 100.44/150

Today's notes: I've never formally run a LTHR test run, so I decided earlier this week that I would do that, using the Joe Friel method or using the average HR from the last 20 minutes of a 30 minute hard run.

Temps this morning were right at 30 degrees, but there was almost no wind, so conditions seemed good to go for it. I started out with 5 minutes jogging at z1, and 10 minutes at z2, just to get things warmed up.

When my watch buzzed at the end of my warm up, I took off. I will admit it right now, I probably went too fast to start. Running the whole 30 minutes at insane-for-me pace was interesting, I didn't really know things would go, I just worked on keeping a consistent perceived effort for the whole 30 minutes.

After the 30 minutes at hard effort, I had another 15 minutes jogging to cool down.

Results of the 30 minute Friel test:

Total time: 30 min (duh)
    Total distance: 3.89 miles
    Average pace: 7:42
    Average HR for last 20: 180
    New 5k PR: 24:00
    new 2 mile PR: 15:16

There were a bunch of surprises for me with this run. First of all, I chopped 1:30 off my 5k PR, and I totally wasn't expecting that! Second, I had no clue that I could hold a sub-8 pace for 30 minutes and, really, I probably could have gone another 5-7 minutes, I think. Final surprise: That 180 average HR. I am really wondering how good the Friel test is, just because I don't know if my LTHR could really be that high.

Anyone have thoughts on that? I don't want to touch my HR settings without knowing that that LTHR estimate is at least somewhat decent (currently have it set at 174).
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Skipped my run today :( I needed some extra sleep this morning. Don't think I'll make my goal this month, hopefully I will next month.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Question for the group: For road races - distance marathon, half, and 10K even - Do you run the entire distance?

I've sometimes gotten the sense that it is frowned upon to walk, but I am terrible about managing pace and struggling way more than I should to keep going. I go way too fast, then am totally winded and need to walk a bit. On my own, I've done distances of between 10K and HM like this. But I can't even seem to keep a steady pace for a 5K. It is just so hard to slow myself down. On the other hand, I've done a few 5K's with this same method... my first 5K ever (Apr. 2015) was 30:00 (exactly... just how it turned out) with this method.

I've tried being more mindful about pace, breathing, and have even tried switching to slower music. It's helped, but I still just can't seem to get past this hurdle. My next thought is to get a tracker with a feature to alarm whenever pace is outside of a set range. I'll admit there are other features about that tracker, so I am strongly thinking about it anyway. Since I run trails now, this has been really helpful because I can go faster in good areas and slow down for creek crossings, trees blocking the trail, and other obstacles that are difficult or high risk to run through.

Am I over-stressing on pace? I want to be able to last the distance, not just sprint/walk/sprint/walk...
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I've used the pace alert on my Garmin, and it really does help keep in the range....if you aren't like me, see the alert and then go faster......... I've found that keeping an exact pace is nigh impossible for me. Having an alert could help, if you heed it, and if yout pace is in the correct range. One other thing to consider is to go y HR, your pace might vary day to day, but the effort you put in will be more the same.

So, I guess it depends, a GPS watch with pace alert will help, if just keeping steady pace is your goal, but there are also other ways of training that will help.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    finally I seem to be managing to get myself back into a regime of getting up to run.

I had even been researching SAD lights, a combination one that also worked as a sunrise lamp, but after researching, the very next morning I awoke bright and breezy at 6am just before my alarm went off. So maybe I don't need that after all!!

But I soldier on, and at least I have the weekends to get out during daylight hours - have a hike planned Saturday so will try and squeeze a long run in Sunday weather permitting.

You'll find a lot of us nodding our heads in agreement with your assessment of dreadmills. The difference is, you soldier on with the dreadmill and I can't make myself use one. I own cold weather gear, and reflective clothing, and a designed reflective harness, and enough lights to look like a Christmas tree; but I'll run outside rather than use the dreadmill.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 5.1 miles. Gorgeous 62° morning to run!
    11/2 - Slept in. Stayed up too late cheering the Cubs victory!
    11/3 - 5.32 miles. Trek class / treadmill
    11/4 - 4.7 miles.
    11/5 - 3.5 miles. Easy, short run with my 10 year old son.
    11/6 - Rest / crazy busy day.
    11/7 - 5 miles.
    11/8 - Bodypump class.
    11/9 - Slept in. Election "hangover"
    11/10 - 5.32 miles. Trek class / treadmill (oddly, exact same distance as last week)
    11/11 - 5.04 miles. Windy.
    11/12 - 3.12 miles. Girls On the Run 5k with my daughter.
    11/13 - Crazy busy day.
    11/14 - 4.85 miles.
    11/15 - Bodypump class, then Abs/Core Class.
    11/16 - 5.15 miles.
    11/17 - 5.01 miles. Not what I planned, but By-Laws of Running Challenge say I have to run outside when it is 64° at 5:00 a.m. in November.

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    As I mentioned, my daughter has been having shin splints. When I saw her running shoes, which she wears all the time, I just shook my head.
    abugi5nx01i6.jpg

@7lenny7 Love those well worn shoes - Although the Hole above her Toe suggests 1/2 size too small. My Mizuno's had the same wear points on the side of the shoes. Just proves that she still needs her PaPa in her life - Great Father Daughter Picture at the finish.
    Why in the middle of a race do we all ways seem to be framed by Porta Potties in the background?
    That Trail race sounds " Deliciously Nasty" >:) . I always love hitting the Trails.

@Orphia It all depends on conditions. My last evening run on Monday night was brilliant.
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    The timing was perfect as I caught the Sunset with Shimmering Silver and Red Reflections in the river. Then the Super Moon rose on the opposite horizon so a whole new palette of colors. 3C ~ 38F :) Met up with one of the other Club member's 3 times as we were running opposite routes on the same trail.
    We must have stopped for a minute every time we met just to enjoy the light show in the sky and on the river.

@girlinahat And that's why its called the Dreadmill !! Our mini Gym at work the "Cardio" equipment is jammed into a old storage room under the stairs - The Cardio Dungeon I call it. They made the change a year ago and I haven't used it since. It would have to be a Frosty day in h#ll before I get back on a Mill. Like @MobyCarp I have cold weather gear - Reflective and lights so the Trails are always open.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »

I have no experience/pedigree so can't talk with the authority of many of this group. To me, In those situations it seems right to go as slow as I can possibly go whilst keep good form running (and I'm super conscious about it on those slopes/at that speed!). I try never to walk unless pre-planned.

This is a very good point. The main thing is to always maintain good form. Once you get so tired that your form goes out the window, it's time to stop. Do not pass Go. Do not collect your $200.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    No run for me last night after all. My congestion moved into my chest and I was just wiped out. Hopefully tonight. Unless I'm completely asskicked I'll go out just to see what I can do.
    @7lenny7 Love those well worn shoes - Although the Hole above her Toe suggests 1/2 size too small. My Mizuno's had the same wear points on the side of the shoes. Just proves that she still needs her PaPa in her life - Great Father Daughter Picture at the finish.
    Why in the middle of a race do we all ways seem to be framed by Porta Potties in the background?
    That Trail race sounds " Deliciously Nasty" >:) . I always love hitting the Trails.

@juliet3455 The gal at the running store had the same assessment of the size of her shoes and put her in the next larger size.
    @ddmom0811 she didn't bug me at all. I'd been bugging her for months to get proper running shoes! I even told her I'd pay for them. But she's as stubborn as I am and didn't go until I took her there. Those old shoes are from the summer of 2015.

No pity necessary. All my weekday run are at night and I love it. I've been known to run past midnight. Perhaps t, but I embrace the dark and foul weather. I guess I'm just a night owl.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    As I mentioned, my daughter has been having shin splints. When I saw her running shoes, which she wears all the time, I just shook my head.
    abugi5nx01i6.jpg

@Orphia It all depends on conditions. My last evening run on Monday night was brilliant.
    The timing was perfect as I caught the Sunset with Shimmering Silver and Red Reflections in the river. Then the Super Moon rose on the opposite horizon so a whole new palette of colors. 3C ~ 38F :) Met up with one of the other Club member's 3 times as we were running opposite routes on the same trail.
    We must have stopped for a minute every time we met just to enjoy the light show in the sky and on the river.

@girlinahat And that's why its called the Dreadmill !! Our mini Gym at work the "Cardio" equipment is jammed into a old storage room under the stairs - The Cardio Dungeon I call it. They made the change a year ago and I haven't used it since. It would have to be a Frosty day in h#ll before I get back on a Mill. Like @MobyCarp I have cold weather gear - Reflective and lights so the Trails are always open.

Oh I don't mind running in the cold OR in the dark, I'm just less keen to do it on my own. Having said that, the tow path is probably fairly safe and since I've only ever seen other morning runners not rapists and mass murderers on it, maybe I should just whack on the head torch and go.

Will report back on that next week. Unless I've been clubbed to death that is.....
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Question for the group: For road races - distance marathon, half, and 10K even - Do you run the entire distance?

I've sometimes gotten the sense that it is frowned upon to walk, but I am terrible about managing pace and struggling way more than I should to keep going. I go way too fast, then am totally winded and need to walk a bit. On my own, I've done distances of between 10K and HM like this. But I can't even seem to keep a steady pace for a 5K. It is just so hard to slow myself down. On the other hand, I've done a few 5K's with this same method... my first 5K ever (Apr. 2015) was 30:00 (exactly... just how it turned out) with this method.

I've tried being more mindful about pace, breathing, and have even tried switching to slower music. It's helped, but I still just can't seem to get past this hurdle. My next thought is to get a tracker with a feature to alarm whenever pace is outside of a set range. I'll admit there are other features about that tracker, so I am strongly thinking about it anyway. Since I run trails now, this has been really helpful because I can go faster in good areas and slow down for creek crossings, trees blocking the trail, and other obstacles that are difficult or high risk to run through.

Am I over-stressing on pace? I want to be able to last the distance, not just sprint/walk/sprint/walk...

While I've run all my races, how you race is totally up to you. I've had a couple races where I was playing leapfrog with someone who used run/walk intervals. They'd pass me when they were running, I'd pass them when they were walking, and it went like that for some time. There's even a famous runner/trainer/coach who espouses the run/walk method, Jeff Galloway. If someone frowns upon how you run your races, that's their problem, not yours.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I know there are people who think it's OK to walk even in a race. And some well known coaches like Jeff Galloway who advocate walk breaks even in races. There is a guy who used to be on MFP who went by CarsonRuns that I highly respect and who absolutely hated Galloway and thought he was full of it and was not afraid to vocalize against the walking in a race thing. So your mileage may vary on the subject.

To me personally, the best strategy for races is even effort throughout the entire race as much as you can possibly can. If you don't know what your proper pace is, then it's better to be a lil conservative in the first half of your race and then speed up towards the later half or third of your race (negative split). To me, if you have to walk during your race, then that means you are not maintaining the proper race pace and you are hitting way too far beyond your LT which will kill you towards the end of your race. However, I will say that it is better to talk walk breaks into your race if you feel like you are overstraining, especially if your training up into the race was not the best it could have been.

Also, I know personally that given a decision to either DNS/DNF a race VS run the race but with walk breaks, I personally would choose the later. Not the best advise to give, but I just know my personality.

One last caveat: In my first marathon, I bonked around mile 22 to where I had no choice but to take walk breaks up until my last mile. I chalked that up to starting out way too fast and improper refueling methods.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Stoshew71 any wisdom you can give me on the question I posted in my run summary for the day?