what NOT to eat

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    HappyGrape wrote: »
    Don't eat green bell peppers. I'm not sure who thought it would be a good idea to eat peppers before they were ripe. Gross.

green pointy peppers are really tasty! bell not so much
    it's little bit like spring onion in way? It has it's own taste as spring onion, before growing to a normal onion.

Jalapeños? Yum! Chili peppers? Yum!

I agree about the bell peppers. I don't like green, red, orange or yellow bell peppers. They don't taste any better to me when they turn ripe versus green, IMO.

I don't know what a spring onion is?

@DebSozo . Spring Onion. Do you guys have them in America?

jnaa6xpovgap.jpg
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    wanzik wrote: »
    Don't eat cake, ice cream, maple syrup, candy, donuts, potato chips, cookies, juices, bagels and stay away from sodas. :wink:

totally unnecessary

But extremely helpful for cutting empty calories that could be replaced with good, healthy, lower-calorie food.
  • wanzik
    Options
    Your diet should consist of unprocessed foods.
    Why? So many "healthy" foods are processed, including the jasmine rice you mentioned.
    Bread, baked goods, pasta, cereal, regular soda, liquor, and desserts must be cut out entirely until get a grasp on how to incorporate cheat meals and days into your plan without reverting back to old habits.
    Why?

I incorporate these every day and and have lost a significant amount of weight. If you stick around for a while, you'll notice the majority of mfp-ers eat a balanced diet with their favorite foods in moderation. A healthy attitude towards food in general is a healthy approach to weight loss. Cutting out foods can actually cause some to develop orthorexia.

I hate cheat meals and cheat days. I can easily undo my weekly deficit with those. I'd rather incorporate my favorites daily and NOT go over my calorie goal. I only have 4-5 IDGAF days a year where I won't count calories.

Weight loss is ALL about calories, more specifically, having the right energy (CICO) balance, and nothing about the type of food you eat. Moderating all foods that one enjoys is a perfectly valid way to lose weight.

The recommendation of cutting out foods and food groups to someone who is already stressed about weight loss in general is a sure way to stress someone out further. Weight loss is stressful enough already without having to throw rules and guidelines at it.

because everyone knows that processed foods contain magical properties that make you gain weight, even if you are in calorie deficit.

Not everyone apparently but some people know that overly processed foods have most of whatever nutritional value they once had destroyed during the processing and that it will be for difficult to feel full for long after eating, increasing your chances of craving even more. For some people these foods trigger some people's brains to eat even more, much like an alcoholic can't stop at one or two drinks.

If you can handle eating highly processed foods, fine. Great! Good for you! Realize not everyone is the same and some people actually do need to avoid these things if they want to reach their goals. And it's not a big deal to do it.
  • wanzik
    Options
    Don't eat cake, ice cream, maple syrup, candy, donuts, potato chips, cookies, juices, bagels and stay away from sodas. :wink:

totally unnecessary

But extremely helpful for cutting empty calories that could be replaced with good, healthy, lower-calorie food.

I agree. The problem is when giving advice like just cut out _____ with out adding the above is a bit misleading. Some folks try cutting out things and then end up binging on them because they aren't including some of the foods they love on occasion.

A lot of folks need a sustainable WOE and sometimes being overly restrictive isn't the answer.

Good point and I agree with you. It's difficult to come up with one all-encompassing reply that can't have holes poked in it. I just tried to answer the OP's question with some ideas and not preach.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    OP my only advice is to avoid foods that you know you cant moderate and that inevitably end up sending you over your calories. I have a few foods which i have very rarely, because i struggle to eat them in moderation.
    Stuff like Cheescake, peanut butter cups, peanut butter, cheerios.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

totally unnecessary

Not for everyone. When I used to try to eliminate all those "treat" foods I got hangry and quit. I see that in my friends and coworkers all the time. It was actually extremely helpful for me to learn how to fit stuff like that into my daily calorie goal, only then was I able to stay on plan long term and finally start seeing results. Some people may have to temp cut that stuff out, but for many it just makes life harder.
  • wanzik
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

totally unnecessary

Not for everyone. When I used to try to eliminate all those "treat" foods I got hangry and quit. I see that in my friends and coworkers all the time. It was actually extremely helpful for me to learn how to fit stuff like that into my daily calorie goal, only then was I able to stay on plan long term and finally start seeing results. Some people may have to temp cut that stuff out, but for many it just makes life harder.

Yes, we are all different. :wink:

We all share our advice and the OP will find something that works for her.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I agree that no-one has to give anything up, but for some of us it's easier and less stressful to eliminate rather than moderate.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I agree that no-one has to give anything up, but for some of us it's easier and less stressful to eliminate rather than moderate.

For me, there were certain things (I'm looking at you ice cream) that I had to keep out of my house. When I bought it, I would bring home the single serving stuff. Occasionally, I would grab two or three, or five, of those single servings to test my ability to keep it in the freezer without eating it all. I failed at that several times, but remained persistent. I can now keep ice cream in the freezer, and only have a serving, or none. When I'm having a bad day, sometimes, I'll still over eat it, but I knew that I didn't want to allow food to continue to have that control over me. I can understand that elimination works for some, but it often left me feeling like a failure. Changing my mindset was the most liberating part of this experience.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Foods that have gone bad, make you sick, or that you don't like. And if you're planning on losing weight, too much food.

I don't know... foods that have gone bad can always give a nice kickstart to a weight loss program. ;)

https://stockholmgymsyndrome.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/giphy.gif?w=690&h=378

(awe damit someone help me with the the gif)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

There's no need to avoid any of these foods.

Especially ice cream.

Ice cream is happiness in a bowl.

I just had a delicious bowl last night. I love my ice cream.