Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    please, do this FOR YOU!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I believe it is always in your best interests regardless of how hard it is to hear.

I wouldn't give a blanket statement like that. There are lots of people who use it as manipulation or to cover up their own insecurities. My ex sure did and hence why he is now my ex. It sounds like you have a real winner and a great partner!
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I told my boyfriend to stop eating so much or he's gonna end up like his brother. (Bed ridden from obesity, triple bypass, and diabetic)
    Now we are both vegan and don't have to worry about that ever happening :)
    I feel that if you love someone, you should stop them harming themselves. As long as it's coming from love and not a personal attack.

Cuz there are no overweight vegans?

This is what I was thinking.... LOL
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether one has a distorted self image.
    When I was bulimic I had a seriously distorted self image. I'm 6' even. When i puked my was down to 155 I still thought I was fat.
    As a kid I was the only pudgy one in the family and wad constantly told I was fat. I weighed about 190 when I graduated from high school. Finished boot camp at 175. But never thought I was not fat.
    At 56 I still have to rely input from my wife because that little fat guy is still in my head.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I told my boyfriend to stop eating so much or he's gonna end up like his brother. (Bed ridden from obesity, triple bypass, and diabetic)
    Now we are both vegan and don't have to worry about that ever happening :)
    I feel that if you love someone, you should stop them harming themselves. As long as it's coming from love and not a personal attack.

Cuz there are no overweight vegans?

This is what I was thinking.... LOL

Oreos are vegan. Just sayin.

bawhhahahahahahhahahaaaaaa! I'm seriously laughing - HARD!
  • AshleyAppleJuice
    AshleyAppleJuice Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    An SO should know if you would be comfortable with those kinds of discussions.
    I have low self-esteem and wish my SO would tell me the truth, but I know it would destroy me.
    So I'm just going to gauge his reaction with his actions when I keep losing weight.
    He's already admitted I look better than I used to.. and yes I got upset at the time.. I didn't show that I was upset but now it just motivates me.
  • STLBADGIRL
    edited August 2017
    Options
    An SO should know if you would be comfortable with those kinds of discussions.
    I have low self-esteem and wish my SO would tell me the truth, but I know it would destroy me.
    So I'm just going to gauge his reaction with his actions when I keep losing weight.
    He's already admitted I look better than I used to.. and yes I got upset at the time.. I didn't show that I was upset but now it just motivates me.

This is where I was @AshleyAppleJuice . I knew I needed and wanted to lose weight, but when the subject was brought up by him I would get upset or my feelings would get hurt. But most of that came from how I viewed myself internally. I had to change the views that I had for myself because that wasn't fair to him or the self hatred I put on myself.
  • anacline
    anacline Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My husband seems to want to complain that he won't be able to play with my fat once I loose weight. ( :p Yes, he's a bit of a weirdo) But otherwise he's fine with it. I can't express how completely happy that I have found someone that doesn't dump on me for not having "the perfect body."
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What a fascinating discussion. Agree with so many perspectives! Thanks.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    What a fascinating discussion. Agree with so many perspectives! Thanks.

@AudreyJDuke Hey Great....What perspectives do you agree with?
  • Angel49kitty
    Angel49kitty Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to date people who find me beautiful despite my curvier, heavy-set body shape OR have the opinion of "I accept you as you are, and if you want to change then I support you" and that I should make sure I'm losing weight for myself and not to be attractive to others. Exception being my last ex who wasn't attracted to me at all because I wasn't small enough; we *sort of* had a discussion about it - it didn't last long.

I'm a blunt person in general, but also encouraging. I don't typically bring up topic of weight unless my partner does first, and then I tell it how I see it - then try to support whatever change they want to make.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I have a tendency to date people who find me beautiful despite my curvier, heavy-set body shape OR have the opinion of "I accept you as you are, and if you want to change then I support you" and that I should make sure I'm losing weight for myself and not to be attractive to others. Exception being my last ex who wasn't attracted to me at all because I wasn't small enough; we *sort of* had a discussion about it - it didn't last long.

I'm a blunt person in general, but also encouraging. I don't typically bring up topic of weight unless my partner does first, and then I tell it how I see it - then try to support whatever change they want to make.

I can get with bringing the concern with me AND supporting me!