Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Anybody else drink Fairlife ultra-pasteurized milks? More protein and less sugar than than regular milk, and they're smoother than their regular milk counterparts at respective fat levels.

Added bonus, they're shelf stable for a very long time, so I don't have to worry about them spoiling if I got a week or 2 without milk.

And they cost 2-4+ times as much as the store brand milk (my area at least). That's what the Coke marketing gets you.

The price different amounts to like 25 cents per serving, for a better tasting product with twice the protein. I've never seen any marking or advertising for it, but for me it's well worth the tiny extra expense.

Sure if you like it go for it. Locally a gallon of store milk is $0.98 and 52 oz of Fairlife is $2.98 so we see a significant difference, especially when we drink 3+ gallons a week.

Jesus H, milk is cheap in the US! I pay $4.50 for 2 litres (half a gallon). Even accounting for exchange rates, that's an insane difference. But then, a) our cows live in fields and are grass-fed, as they're meant to be, and b) most of our dairy is exported which drives up the price.

EVERYTHING is cheap over there. I pay the same as you for milk here in Australia.

Also, I have a question. If humans are descended from Apes, monkeys whatever then why haven't all the Apes evolved into humans by now. It's like evolution picked and chose who "changed" and who didn't.
    oooooh. he's one of THOSE

Haha yes he is, the whole conversation gives me a *kitten* migraine!
    If someone asks me 'why are there still apes/wolves?" in an arsey way, I show them different breeds of dogs. Then I explain that at various points in history, groups of people have set out to breed for specific characteristics by selecting for those traits in the local dogs in their life. Dogs living elsewhere weren't affected.

When Philip Smith (made-up name) and colleagues bred the poodle in France and/or Germany, the dogs in an English village where they were breeding English Sheepdogs were unaffected by all this. They did NOT magically turn into poodles, even though some contemporary dogs far away were developing generation by generation into the modern poodle.

I also like 'so why aren't we still evolving?'. To which the answer is, 'we are'.

For starters, we're considerably taller than people just a thousand years ago. Right?

Do you think that's a reasonable retort?

Yep, and that one has to do with food availability/nutrition.

Wisdom teeth are one of my favourite examples. Hands up who never got theirs? That's evolution in action. We started losing them in the Epi Palaeolithic with increasing processing technology, because we don't need our teeth to do as much grinding as they used to (grinding/processing technology well predates that, but it really kicked off in a big way with incipient agriculture when people really started to mess around with cultivation).

Lactose tolerance is another.

And, our brains are getting smaller.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Anybody else drink Fairlife ultra-pasteurized milks? More protein and less sugar than than regular milk, and they're smoother than their regular milk counterparts at respective fat levels.

Added bonus, they're shelf stable for a very long time, so I don't have to worry about them spoiling if I got a week or 2 without milk.

And they cost 2-4+ times as much as the store brand milk (my area at least). That's what the Coke marketing gets you.

The price different amounts to like 25 cents per serving, for a better tasting product with twice the protein. I've never seen any marking or advertising for it, but for me it's well worth the tiny extra expense.

Sure if you like it go for it. Locally a gallon of store milk is $0.98 and 52 oz of Fairlife is $2.98 so we see a significant difference, especially when we drink 3+ gallons a week.

Jesus H, milk is cheap in the US! I pay $4.50 for 2 litres (half a gallon). Even accounting for exchange rates, that's an insane difference. But then, a) our cows live in fields and are grass-fed, as they're meant to be, and b) most of our dairy is exported which drives up the price.

EVERYTHING is cheap over there. I pay the same as you for milk here in Australia.

Also, I have a question. If humans are descended from Apes, monkeys whatever then why haven't all the Apes evolved into humans by now. It's like evolution picked and chose who "changed" and who didn't.

If someone asks me 'why are there still apes/wolves?" in an arsey way, I show them different breeds of dogs. Then I explain that at various points in history, groups of people have set out to breed for specific characteristics by selecting for those traits in the local dogs in their life. Dogs living elsewhere weren't affected.

When Philip Smith (made-up name) and colleagues bred the poodle in France and/or Germany, the dogs in an English village where they were breeding English Sheepdogs were unaffected by all this. They did NOT magically turn into poodles, even though some contemporary dogs far away were developing generation by generation into the modern poodle.

I also like 'so why aren't we still evolving?'. To which the answer is, 'we are'.

For starters, we're considerably taller than people just a thousand years ago. Right?

Wisdom teeth are one of my favourite examples. Hands up who never got theirs? That's evolution in action. We started losing them in the Epi Palaeolithic with increasing processing technology, because we don't need our teeth to do as much grinding as they used to (grinding/processing technology well predates that, but it really kicked off in a big way with incipient agriculture when people really started to mess around with cultivation).

well that explains a lot :)

Indeed!

Two main schools of thought:

1) we are getting dumber (I s'pose I should be polite and say less intelligent, but nah...), mostly due to an increased reliance on technology to do every damn thing for us (srsly, smart water bottles, anyone??). And we just don't have to be as clever and cunning and wily as we did when our lives depended on it;

2) our brain is just becoming more energy efficient, and rewiring to do more with less (bore, snore).

Personally, I'm on the side of number 1. A good apocalyptic event ought to sort that out quick enough.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Indeed!

1) we are getting dumber (I s'pose I should be polite and say less intelligent, but nah...), mostly due to an increased reliance on technology to do every damn thing for us (srsly, smart water bottles, anyone??). And we just don't have to be as clever and cunning and wily as we did when our lives depended on it;

2) our brain is just becoming more energy efficient, and rewiring to do more with less (bore, snore).

Personally, I'm on the side of number 1. A good apocalyptic event ought to sort that out quick enough.

yeah - I lean towards the first one...thinking about what happens at work when our computers go down for a day (can I use the argument that our IT support folks are defining #1 by pushing out massive computer updates on a Monday morning that knocks an entire system out)...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Indeed!

yeah - I lean towards the first one...thinking about what happens at work when our computers go down for a day (can I use the argument that our IT support folks are defining #1 by pushing out massive computer updates on a Monday morning that knocks an entire system out)...

It's actually been happening for a long time, because larger societies provide a safety net, but I'm quite sure that advances in technology are speeding the process up! So, use your brains, people! Do crosswords, try to do basic math in your head before pulling out the calculator, do stuff from memory then fact check if need be, read books, learn how to do new stuff (especially stuff that will help you survive after that apocalypse ;) ).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

I do. Twice the protein and lactose free. I'm getting older and we'll, lactose sadly is becoming an issue.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Well if the apocalypse is slow enough like global warming, maybe we'll all be like the frog in the pot.

If it's quick, the people who already have their shelters and ammunition stockpiled will be the winners. I'm not saying those are the brightest bulbs, though. I know a couple of them...I'm hoping to tag along to their shelter without doing the work. Or maybe the winners will be the ones who jump on that ship to Mars.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Well if the apocalypse is slow enough like global warming, maybe we'll all be like the frog in the pot.

If it's quick, the people who already have their shelters and ammunition stockpiled will be the winners. I'm not saying those are the brightest bulbs, though. I know a couple of them...I'm hoping to tag along to their shelter without doing the work. Or maybe the winners will be the ones who jump on that ship to Mars.

Oh, it needs to be a cataclysmic apocalypse, for sure! Let's just hope the scientists make it to the bunkers...And we're already the frog in the pot.

An apocalypse would be so fascinating from an anthropological perspective. How would we cope? Who, of the survivors, would ultimately survive? Would it be enough to cause speciation? So many questions!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    On the issue of wisdom teeth, my son doesn't have all of his. Just his lower ones.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    On the issue of wisdom teeth, my son doesn't have all of his. Just his lower ones.

One of my friends is the same. Another has none!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

that's all I had as well...so far my son nada...and based on xrays he won't either...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I only have my lower ones which came out after 30. They aren't fully exposed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I only had lower ones too (none now).

(The two I had were removed when they started trying to come in around age 30 and were causing issues.)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    [Not sure I've ever tried an oreo, though we can get them in NZ now, but no Halo Top.

Imagine two of the the thinnest, driest cookies ever, more like a cracker with just a slight cocoa taste, sandwiched around a thin slice of fondant icing. And then when you eat it, you have visible chocolate crumbs in every crevice of your teeth until you floss for an hour. No thank you. I swear as a kid half the time I'd eat the fondant cream in the middle & throw out the cookie. These days I don't even like fondant.

Fondant is crazy hard and not good. The cream filling in an Oreo is not fondant.

Of course not. It's de-minted dollar store toothpaste.
    Then can I get it in a tube?!

Speak for yourself.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    [Not sure I've ever tried an oreo, though we can get them in NZ now, but no Halo Top.

Imagine two of the the thinnest, driest cookies ever, more like a cracker with just a slight cocoa taste, sandwiched around a thin slice of fondant icing. And then when you eat it, you have visible chocolate crumbs in every crevice of your teeth until you floss for an hour. No thank you. I swear as a kid half the time I'd eat the fondant cream in the middle & throw out the cookie. These days I don't even like fondant.

Fondant is crazy hard and not good. The cream filling in an Oreo is not fondant.

Of course not. It's de-minted dollar store toothpaste.
    Then can I get it in a tube?!

Speak for yourself.

Exactly! If people are now taller then why are there still short people? :wink:
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

The Fairlife plant is local to me, so I bought it once as way to support local jobs. But no one in my family liked it and we ended up throwing it away. I was bummed because I have a lactose intolerant kid and it's supposed to be ok for that, but no go. So I still buy 3 different kinds of milk-almond for her, 2% for husband and other 2 kids and then I buy skim for me, for my daily green smoothies, (I hate milk straight up, in any form, but I do like it as a base for my smoothies).

Fairlife is more expensive, but I was hoping to eliminate the almond milk I have to buy for my daughter, so it would have saved me a bit of money if they had all liked it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

I do. Twice the protein and lactose free. I'm getting older and we'll, lactose sadly is becoming an issue.

I drink Faitlife but I'm single and my milk use is limited to my evening bowl of cereal so a container can last me upwards for 2 weeks
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

I drink Faitlife but I'm single and my milk use is limited to my evening bowl of cereal so a container can last me upwards for 2 weeks

That's the biggest reason I started buying if. Stuff lasts forever.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

That's the biggest reason I started buying if. Stuff lasts forever.

So does skim milk
This discussion has been closed.