Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    robm1brown wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I prefer skim milk. Even did before I was losing weight. Guess that's about as popular as not liking Oreos.

Me too. I don't like any milk, but if I'm drinking it you can be sure it will be skim. I hate the creamy taste of milk.

I stopped drinking milk and orange juice after I started logging my diet years ago. My diet has enough vitamins and calcium without them; I didn't particularly like milk (although I still consume dairy through yogurt and cheese), and OJ had more sugar than I wanted to drink. My dad thought it was bizarre not to drink milk and OJ every morning because that is what our family did growing up, but legacy habits lack allure if they don't serve any other purpose.

The two things I drink loads of with far less guilt now I am calorie counting compared to how 'diets' treat them.

Milk and OJ were essential parts of my diet for over 40 years and I never felt a moment of guilt over drinking them because if I didn't, per my parents, my bones would become brittle and I would develop scurvy. In reality, I was getting several times the amount of calcium and Vitamin C than were necessary, so they just became optional. I always lean toward eating calories vs drinking them, so eliminating them results in a more filling meal.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Anybody else drink Fairlife ultra-pasteurized milks? More protein and less sugar than than regular milk, and they're smoother than their regular milk counterparts at respective fat levels.

Added bonus, they're shelf stable for a very long time, so I don't have to worry about them spoiling if I got a week or 2 without milk.

And they cost 2-4+ times as much as the store brand milk (my area at least). That's what the Coke marketing gets you.

The price different amounts to like 25 cents per serving, for a better tasting product with twice the protein. I've never seen any marking or advertising for it, but for me it's well worth the tiny extra expense.

Sure if you like it go for it. Locally a gallon of store milk is $0.98 and 52 oz of Fairlife is $2.98 so we see a significant difference, especially when we drink 3+ gallons a week.

holy crap that's a lot of milk. I may kill 1 bottle of Fairlife a week, and sometimes not even that. If I were downing 3 gallons a week I probably would be more price sensitive.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Anybody else drink Fairlife ultra-pasteurized milks? More protein and less sugar than than regular milk, and they're smoother than their regular milk counterparts at respective fat levels.

Added bonus, they're shelf stable for a very long time, so I don't have to worry about them spoiling if I got a week or 2 without milk.

And they cost 2-4+ times as much as the store brand milk (my area at least). That's what the Coke marketing gets you.

The price different amounts to like 25 cents per serving, for a better tasting product with twice the protein. I've never seen any marking or advertising for it, but for me it's well worth the tiny extra expense.

Sure if you like it go for it. Locally a gallon of store milk is $0.98 and 52 oz of Fairlife is $2.98 so we see a significant difference, especially when we drink 3+ gallons a week.

holy crap that's a lot of milk. I may kill 1 bottle of Fairlife a week, and sometimes not even that. If I were downing 3 gallons a week I probably would be more price sensitive.

When both boys were home and in HS we were going through a gallon a day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Jesus H, milk is cheap in the US! I pay $4.50 for 2 litres (half a gallon). Even accounting for exchange rates, that's an insane difference. But then, a) our cows live in fields and are grass-fed, as they're meant to be, and b) most of our dairy is exported which drives up the price.

Depends on where you are. I live in Wisconsin, nicknamed "The Dairy State". We are #2 in the country for milk production and #1 for cheese production so dairy products are cheaper here than many places because there is less transport involved, and locally owned groceries can buy locally produced dairy. National brands of dairy products like yogurt are not as cheap. I frequently make my own yogurt because I can get the milk at a good price.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Jesus H, milk is cheap in the US! I pay $4.50 for 2 litres (half a gallon). Even accounting for exchange rates, that's an insane difference. But then, a) our cows live in fields and are grass-fed, as they're meant to be, and b) most of our dairy is exported which drives up the price.

EVERYTHING is cheap over there. I pay the same as you for milk here in Australia.

Also, I have a question. If humans are descended from Apes, monkeys whatever then why haven't all the Apes evolved into humans by now. It's like evolution picked and chose who "changed" and who didn't.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

EVERYTHING is cheap over there. I pay the same as you for milk here in Australia.

Also, I have a question. If humans are descended from Apes, monkeys whatever then why haven't all the Apes evolved into humans by now. It's like evolution picked and chose who "changed" and who didn't.

Yup, you got it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

The store we go to is a large supercenter. There is another supercenter type store, an Aldi's and 2 large chain grocery stores and a Whole Foods type place within 1/4 mile of each other so pretty competitive. Sure they use the milk as a loss leader, but it has been less than $1.00 a gallon for a couple years. At one time got down to $0.69.

Typically when travelling in other areas I see non-speciality milk around $3 a gallon.
  • jdlobb
    edited September 2017
    Options

because not all the apes lived in the same ecosystems. If the whole world was jungle we would never have evolved the way we did. But apes that lived in the less forested, grassy African savanna evolved to run on 2 legs and be smarter, because they couldn't swing from tree to tree (among other reasons)

I'm oversimplifying, there's an anthropologist around her somewhere+
  • xAmygdala
    xAmygdala Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I believe you can do it no matter what issues you're faced with if you want to. It's mind over matter. I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease--hypo) and celiac disease... All odds were against me but I'm near my goal now. There's seriously nothing in your way but yourself.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

because not all the apes lived in the same ecosystems. If the whole world was jungle we would never have evolved the way we did. But apes that lived in the less forested, grassy African savanna evolved to run on 2 legs and be smarter, because they couldn't swing from tree to tree (among other reasons)

I'm oversimplifying, there's an anthropologist around her somewhere+

Yep, oversimplifying, but that's the gist of it. Different environmental pressures driving different evolutionary paths. Note, though, the earliest bipeds still spent a substantial amount of time in the trees, swinging from branch to branch. Lots of competing hypotheses for why we came down (wasn't to hunt though ;), scavenging may have played a part, but little Ardipithecus certainly wasn't chasing down gazelle). Could expand more, but I have to go forage like a good little ape!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Thank you @jdlobb and @Nony_Mouse , My husband asks this question every time this topic comes up, and i can't come up with a logical answer. He's gonna hear all about my new found knowledge when he comes in :lol:

Let me not get started on Adam & Eve V's evolution :weary:
  • jdlobb
    Options
    oooooh. he's one of THOSE
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Depends on where you are. I live in Wisconsin, nicknamed "The Dairy State". We are #2 in the country for milk production and #1 for cheese production so dairy products are cheaper here than many places because there is less transport involved, and locally owned groceries can buy locally produced dairy. National brands of dairy products like yogurt are not as cheap. I frequently make my own yogurt because I can get the milk at a good price.

Two things to keep in mind about the price of milk in the US...
    1) the US gallon is smaller... 0.83 of an imperial gallon.
    2) the US is the only country in the world (not 100% positive about ALL of the rest this but it is prohibited in Canada, the EU, New Zealand, Israel and Australia) that allows rBST (bovine growth hormone) injection, which increases the milk output of their cattle.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Haha yes he is, the whole conversation gives me a *kitten* migraine!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Here's my unpopular opinion... If i hear one more person bellyache about paying a whole $4 for a tub of HaloTop i'm gonna scream. I pay $11.40 for one stinkin' pint here :rage:
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

If someone asks me 'why are there still apes/wolves?" in an arsey way, I show them different breeds of dogs. Then I explain that at various points in history, groups of people have set out to breed for specific characteristics by selecting for those traits in the local dogs in their life. Dogs living elsewhere weren't affected.

When Philip Smith (made-up name) and colleagues bred the poodle in France and/or Germany, the dogs in an English village where they were breeding English Sheepdogs were unaffected by all this. They did NOT magically turn into poodles, even though some contemporary dogs far away were developing generation by generation into the modern poodle.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Thank you @jdlobb and @Nony_Mouse , My husband asks this question every time this topic comes up, and i can't come up with a logical answer. He's gonna hear all about my new found knowledge when he comes in :lol:

Let me not get started on Adam & Eve V's evolution :weary:

Always happy to talk archaeology!!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

If someone asks me 'why are there still apes/wolves?" in an arsey way, I show them different breeds of dogs. Then I explain that at various points in history, groups of people have set out to breed for specific characteristics by selecting for those traits in the local dogs in their life. Dogs living elsewhere weren't affected.

When Philip Smith (made-up name) and colleagues bred the poodle in France and/or Germany, the dogs in an English village where they were breeding English Sheepdogs were unaffected by all this. They did NOT magically turn into poodles, even though some contemporary dogs far away were developing generation by generation into the modern poodle.

I also like 'so why aren't we still evolving?'. To which the answer is, 'we are'.
  • jdlobb
    Options

I also like 'so why aren't we still evolving?'. To which the answer is, 'we are'.

For starters, we're considerably taller than people just a thousand years ago. Right?

Do you think that's a reasonable retort?
This discussion has been closed.