Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »
    Carbs are very bad and will cause obesity and obesity related diseases if eaten in excess of certain levels.

Just carbs?

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I believe WLS is cheating.

It's also dangerous.

So is being morbidly obese. And crossing the street.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Too many people who have WLS end up needing a second operation to fix the damage from the first one.

Unless you're referring specifically to people who have had the lap band, no, they certainly don't.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, and closely monitoring your progress, it's best to stick to basically the same macro ratios the entire time. If you're LCHF, stick to that. If you're HCLF, stick to that. letting your carb and fat ratios fluctuate is a recipe for the kinds of "why did i gain 4 pounds today" hysterics that discourage people trying to lose weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    A way of getting that deficit is not relevant.

Sure it is, if that method makes getting into and maintaining a calorie deficit less painful. I know whenever my wife does low carb weight loss comes easier for her because for her, low carb reduces her appetite...

you took that out of context.

for weight loss...a calorie deficit is the only thing that matters the way you get there is not relevant.

it is relevant only to the individual and how sustainable it is...that's it.

and therefor it is relevant...

no it's not. Why not...because you can be in a calorie deficit eating in a way that you don't like....and lose the weight.

or you can get the deficit by eating in a way you are okay with and exercise more and lose the weight
    or you can get the deficit by only exercise and lose the weight
    or you can get the deficit by eating in a way you love and lose the weight

That's why how you get to the deficit is not relevant to weight loss..

I didn't say it wasn't relevant to the sustainability of the weight loss or it's value for sticking to it and getting to goal or even maintaining the weight loss after it's all done or even the happiness you feel during your weight loss...

The body doesn't care how you get your deficit..

Ask a person who tortures themselves eating in a way that does not suit their personal preferences if it is not relevant...

again relevant to what? actual weight loss or how easy the weight loss is? or how easy it is to stick to or or or

so I have to ask this...

Are you saying that what you eat is directly related to weight loss?

• J72FIT
    edited November 2017
    Options
    again relevant to what?

Relevant to wether the individual succeeds or not...

• J72FIT
    Options

No. There is no magic weight loss food...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    again relevant to what?

smh...see you took what I said out of context...it is relevant to if a person succeeds but not if weight is lost.

Just making sure you knew that....;)
  • J72FIT
    Options
    again relevant to what?

smh...see you took what I said out of context...it is relevant to if a person succeeds but not if weight is lost.

Yes, it is the how and not the why.

By the way, what does smh mean?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    again relevant to what?

smh = shake my head
  • J72FIT
    Options
    again relevant to what?

smh = shake my head

Haha... nice
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    again relevant to what?

smh = shake my head

or smacking.

And yes I noted that you're referencing your use.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    When it comes down to weight loss, CICO is all that matters... BUT...
    • Keto makes it easier - if you can stick to it - and has additional health benefits.
    How does it make is easier if you can't stick to it? Isn't that making it harder than easier? And anything one does to improve weight loss and improve nutritional profile has additional health benefits regardless of diet.
    [*] IF makes it easier and has additional health benefits.

Weight loss was so easy for me when I stuck to keto. It melted off me. Every day the scale would be down a bit more. It was awesome.

But in the end I found it too restrictive and stopped. Now losing weight with a standard diet is so much harder. And I miss the nice health benefits of keto. But carbs are so tasty. :(
    And this is the point of not dieting with an overly restrictive diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm saying it made the process of weight loss way easier and I miss how EASY it was to lose weight while doing it. If someone is able to commit to that kind of eating, they'll have success. But if you're a carb-lover, it ain't gonna work out in the end. That's all I'm saying. I'm 100% aware of the importance of sustainability.

no to the bolded.

if a person can commit to a calorie deficit they will have success.

and unless you are in a calorie deficit keto and IF do not guarantee success...

and what are the additional health benefits that keto and IF offer that no other WOE does??? this I can hardly wait to hear.

Hmm, I am having regrets posting my unpopular opinion, haha. My first line was that it all comes down to CICO, so obviously I know that. :)

The benefits I experienced with keto were: better mental clarity, more energy, better sleep, MUCH less flatulence/bloating, no bad breath, reduced and stable appetite, no sugar crashes. These are not uncommon.

No, but they are not experienced by everyone, and hardly limited to keto. (On bad breath, lots of people find that keto causes it, for them.)

I didn't find a difference between low carbing and ketoing on these fronts. I also (in that I am currently doing a different experiment), don't really find a difference between low carbing and eating a higher fiber mostly whole foods plant based diet that is much higher carb. In fact, on energy and mental clarity I think I feel better with the latter. Both give me a stable appetite, no cravings, no sugar crashes, and stable energy and make it easier not to think about food between meals. So did being committed to a mostly whole foods, nutrient-dense deficit at 40-30-30. For me, it seems to be eating well and feeling like what I am eating matters, and avoiding lots of refined carbs (whether or not mixed with high fat). It also seems to help to be committed to eating only at meals and looking forward to my meals.

I think low carbing can make eating fewer cals easier for some, but clearly this is not everyone, and I would not agree that, as a general statement, weight loss is easier when low carbing. I don't think it is for me (and a low carb diet that was not high veg, so was low fiber, I think would be impossible for me to stick to, as fiber and volume clearly play a role for me in satiety and meals that are primarily fat -- just bacon and eggs, say -- aren't satiating for me).
    There is some growing science out there about the benefits of IF.

Maybe. But I don't think this has anything to do with keto.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    • Keto makes it easier - if you can stick to it - and has additional health benefits.
    How does it make is easier if you can't stick to it? Isn't that making it harder than easier? And anything one does to improve weight loss and improve nutritional profile has additional health benefits regardless of diet.

Weight loss was so easy for me when I stuck to keto. It melted off me. Every day the scale would be down a bit more. It was awesome.

But in the end I found it too restrictive and stopped. Now losing weight with a standard diet is so much harder. And I miss the nice health benefits of keto. But carbs are so tasty. :(

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm saying it made the process of weight loss way easier and I miss how EASY it was to lose weight while doing it. If someone is able to commit to that kind of eating, they'll have success. But if you're a carb-lover, it ain't gonna work out in the end. That's all I'm saying. I'm 100% aware of the importance of sustainability.

no to the bolded.

and what are the additional health benefits that keto and IF offer that no other WOE does??? this I can hardly wait to hear.

Hmm, I am having regrets posting my unpopular opinion, haha. My first line was that it all comes down to CICO, so obviously I know that. :)

The benefits I experienced with keto were: better mental clarity, more energy, better sleep, MUCH less flatulence/bloating, no bad breath, reduced and stable appetite, no sugar crashes. These are not uncommon.

There is some growing science out there about the benefits of IF.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680567/

"There is indeed a large body of research to support the health benefits of fasting, though most of it has been conducted on animals, not humans. Still, the results have been promising. Fasting has been shown to improve biomarkers of disease, reduce oxidative stress and preserve learning and memory functioning, according to Mark Mattson, senior investigator for the National Institute on Aging, part of the US National Institutes of Health. Mattson has investigated the health benefits of intermittent fasting on the cardiovascular system and brain in rodents, and has called for “well-controlled human studies” in people “across a range of body mass indexes” (J Nutr Biochem 2005;16:129–37)."

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/nutrition/new-intermittent-fasting-studies-reignite-debate-about-its-benefits-20170301-gunyx5.html
    http://www.johnshopkinshealthreview.com/issues/spring-summer-2016/articles/are-there-any-proven-benefits-to-fasting

What are "sugar crashes"? Seriously. That always gets thrown around but I've never actually seen it happen anywhere.

Also no bad breath? Keto is notorious for causing bad breath, so much that it's even called "Keto breath".

On sugar crashes, I think it normally means where people get tired/low energy, crave food, eat some quick carbs (with or without fat), and perk up for a bit only to get low energy in a couple of hours. I do think some end up getting caught in such a cycle and overeating -- it's why not sleeping enough can make it harder too. I found stopping this pattern was very helpful for me when I first decided to lose weight.

Or perhaps it's the phenomenon of eating a huge meal with lots of refined carbs and then being tired after. It's something people seem to joke about (often after a large meal involving pizza or pasta or rice -- which of course have protein and fat too).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »
    Carbs are good and an essential part of a healthy diet. Carbs are very bad and will cause obesity and obesity related diseases if eaten in excess of certain levels. Both statements are true.

@Goal179 same as fats and protein though

Yes, this.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

no to the bolded.

No, but they are not experienced by everyone, and hardly limited to keto. (On bad breath, lots of people find that keto causes it, for them.)

Not just my breath, when Ketoing. In fact, I had truly epic flatulence. With near fatal impacts.

For you or for others? :p
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

no to the bolded.

Not just my breath, when Ketoing. In fact, I had truly epic flatulence. With near fatal impacts.

For you or for others? :p

I was great. But I got complaints from people from as much as 20 meters away...

It was awesome. Italian sausage, Broccoli and Eggs... Occasionally I'd use the ground sausage for making hamburger patties. half and half with beef.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,421 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    If you're trying to lose weight, and closely monitoring your progress, it's best to stick to basically the same macro ratios the entire time. If you're LCHF, stick to that. If you're HCLF, stick to that. letting your carb and fat ratios fluctuate is a recipe for the kinds of "why did i gain 4 pounds today" hysterics that discourage people trying to lose weight.

Not universally a problem. Some of us are (1) able to understand what's going on with fluctuations, right from the start; and (2) are not even slightly inclined to hysterics about much of anything, let alone something so trivial.

Clearly, others' mileage will vary.
This discussion has been closed.