Calories are NOT the enemy!

Options

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    The name of his diet was totally misleading. That's all.

So's the "Military Diet".

You mean they don't eat exclusively militaries?!???!

I know! Shocking, ain't it?
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Has anybody ever had a pumpkin spice donut...that sounds awesome
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    oilphins wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    oilphins wrote: »
    Okay so if you eat 2000 calories a day with 300 grams of sugar included then it's the same as 2,000 calories a day with no sugar? Sugar doesn't make you fat? That's the first time I've ever heard that.

Really? You've only ever heard that sugar makes a person fat? So, hypothetically, if I eat 5,000 calories of tuna a day, I won't gain any weight even though my maintenance calories are around 2,000...because no sugar? Doesn't make much sense, does it.

Your hypothetically comment is ridiculous. I'm trying to make the point that added sugar is not good for you and it's a fact that too much sugar can cause weight gain. So mfp tells me on a 1800 calorie a day diet that I should only eat 100 grams MAXIMUM of sugar a day. So if I don't exercise or workout at all, eat only say 1500 calories a day but ingest 400 grams of sugar in my diet every day staying under my calories, I won't gain weight? I can't wait to go tell my two daughter's to drink all the pepsi, sunnyd and apple juice as much as they want because sugar won't make them fat. (lol) You should try googling and doing your research about sugar because it will make you gain weight if you have too much.

I lost a ton of weight without ever paying one bit of attention to how much sugar I was consuming. I did however pay attention to my calories. Sugar does not make you fat.

I was curious so I checked my reports - sure enough, over the past 90 days there have only been a handful of days where I ate less than 60g of sugar. (I don't even track it, replaced it with fibre in my diary.) I presume that my level of sugar consumption has been pretty much the same throughout my journey, so yeah - I'm gonna say that calories are what was most important to losing 66lbs.

@oilphins I do have to applaud you, though, on your willingness to examine the evidence and change your point of view, especially considering how firmly you held to it at the start! Too many people are not prepared to do that, so I admire you for it. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Care to stop dodging @GottaBurnEmAll 's point?

The Military Diet can mean anything. What does it mean?

I'm not dodging anything. The only point I am making is you can't call something a Twinkie Diet when it's not close to being a Twinkie Diet. The only possible reason for calling it a Twinkie Diet was to help his patron, the Coca Cola company.

It's like claiming you lost weight on a vegan diet, except you ate lamb chops on October 5th, and Eggs Benedict on October 8th.

Why would Coca-Cola want to help promote Twinkies? Corporate altruism?

And please, don't drag veganism into this again.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Care to stop dodging @GottaBurnEmAll 's point?

The Military Diet can mean anything. What does it mean?

I'm not dodging anything. The only point I am making is you can't call something a Twinkie Diet when it's not close to being a Twinkie Diet. The only possible reason for calling it a Twinkie Diet was to help his patron, the Coca Cola company.

It's like claiming you lost weight on a vegan diet, except you ate lamb chops on October 5th, and Eggs Benedict on October 8th.

Why would Coca-Cola want to help promote Twinkies? Corporate altruism?

And please, don't drag veganism into this again.

To make the point that sugar is not the enemy. And you can't call a diet a Coca Cola diet.

Why not?

Look, *if* Coca-Cola had this grand design to sponsor an individual's weight loss attempt, it'd be incredibly easy for someone to lose weight while drinking soda regularly. There's no need for them to promote a different product so your conspiracy theory makes no sense.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    wow. You guys are still arguing with this one guy? Why?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Go Jane! Awesome for doing a marathon. I am wishing I knew more about real running when I was younger. I was under the misconception then that it was all about being as fast as you could be and just hated it when I tried it in the 80's.

Now that I love it, my body hates me. I'm afraid my joints will never allow me to build quite as much endurance as I aspire to, but I'll keep plugging at it. Slow and steady.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    CALORIE ARNT REAL!!! PHYSICS STUFF IS STUDF

Surely you meant CAAORIES?

Ah, that guy! :laugh:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    CALORIE ARNT REAL!!! PHYSICS STUFF IS STUDF

Surely you meant CAAORIES?

Ah, that guy! :laugh:

And PHSYCS
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    So what's a "good" calorie and what's a "bad" calorie?

Explain how the twinkie diet worked (I would assume that would be all bad calories).

Personally I would commend someone who looked at the menu at the golden arches and upon seeing that their big mac combo is about a zillion calories made a more sensible choice.

Please don't cite the Twinkie Diet.

This was based on ONE professor, who was on Coca Cola's payroll, who was not monitored or supervised. He gave hundreds of interview and never mentioned the Coca Cola funding. Sadly for him, he was outed and embarrassed several years later.

He lost 27 lbs. in eight weeks(!), which is considered unhealthy by most posters here.

And he had this incredible weight loss not by going from 2,500 calories to 1,200 calories, but by going from 2,500 calories to 1,800 calories. Just a little suspicious I would say.

And does anyone really believe someone can eat Twinkies (supplemented reportedly by Doritos and Oreos) for eight weeks straight?

Adios, Twinkie Diet.

You don't even know what his diet actually looked like and you're willing to condemn the whole story? Just to help get the facts straight:
    For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.
    Two-thirds of his total intake came from junk food. He also took a multivitamin pill and drank a protein shake daily. And he ate vegetables, typically a can of green beans or three to four celery stalks.

From: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

I know that you aren't arguing in good faith, but could we at least not spread further misinformation about this guy's intake? It was not just twinkies, doritos, and oreos. That "fact" gets repeated too often around here, on both sides of this debate.

Therefore, he did not eat a Twinkie diet. Thanks for the head's up.

Again - know how we know you didn't actually read the article? It looks pretty silly and futile to argue against something when one doesn't even know what they're arguing against.

But, it's totally hilarious though!! :laugh: