Weird foods/combinations you eat

Options

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I recently tried flaked sea salt on ice cream - I'm a fan for sure!

Flaky sea salt and olive oil on rich chocolate ice cream is my favorite ever
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

You might like this on ice cream.
    https://food52.com/recipes/18618-miso-caramel

@acpgee I make a fish sauce caramel sauce thought would make for a good ice cream topping...
  • pancakerunner
    edited March 2020
    Options

Yes...I love love miso. oh...oh...another thing to crave now...

@PAPYRUS3 @acpgee

this would be good as well :)

http://www.thevanillabeanblog.com/2012/02/no-churn-olive-oil-ice-cream-with-vanilla-bean.html

(from my favorite baking blog)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Share your fish caramel sauce please? I'm so curious

...and yes that olive oil ice cream 'thing' would most likely be yum for me too (and a dangerous thing too lol!)
  • pancakerunner
    Options

...and yes that olive oil ice cream 'thing' would most likely be yum for me too (and a dangerous thing too lol!)

here ya go!

Vietnamese Caramel Fish Sauce
    makes about 2 cups

3/4 cup water
    1 lb white, brown or palm sugar
    Juice from ½ lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
    1 1/4 cup fish sauce

Put water, sugar and lemon juice into a heavy saucepan. Cover the pan. Start heating over a moderate flame. Lift the lid occasionally to check the sugar. When it has completely melted and is at a lively boil and started to get a few threads of color through it remove the cover. Let the sugar boil until you achieve a pretty dark color. You will go through mahogany and approach black coffee. Pull the saucepan off the heat before the sugar reaches the color of black coffee. It will continue to cook and color off the flame. As soon as you have it off the flame add the fish sauce and stir or whisk until the bubbling settles down and you have a smooth sauce. Set the sauce aside and allow it to cool. Pour into glass jars and store in refrigerator.
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options

here ya go!

Vietnamese Caramel Fish Sauce
    makes about 2 cups

3/4 cup water
    1 lb white, brown or palm sugar
    Juice from ½ lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
    1 1/4 cup fish sauce

Put water, sugar and lemon juice into a heavy saucepan. Cover the pan. Start heating over a moderate flame. Lift the lid occasionally to check the sugar. When it has completely melted and is at a lively boil and started to get a few threads of color through it remove the cover. Let the sugar boil until you achieve a pretty dark color. You will go through mahogany and approach black coffee. Pull the saucepan off the heat before the sugar reaches the color of black coffee. It will continue to cook and color off the flame. As soon as you have it off the flame add the fish sauce and stir or whisk until the bubbling settles down and you have a smooth sauce. Set the sauce aside and allow it to cool. Pour into glass jars and store in refrigerator.

Thanks - I also looked it up and it is listed as a great sauce for all sorts of things - haven't tried it, but already a fan😋
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I've been putting pitted dates on my lunch meat sandwiches (I use scorched tortilla - not bread). They are more digestible than pickles and add in interesting taste.

I like it! My SIL turned me onto adding dates (and spring mix) to frozen pizza before baking. So good.

this! Date, prosciutto, red onion and goat cheese pizza is one of my favorites.

This reminds me of a pizza my uncle made...I think it was ham or bacon, fig jam, and arugula??? So good!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,633 Member
    Options

@acpgee I make a fish sauce caramel sauce thought would make for a good ice cream topping...

I make fish sauce caramel too but mostly use it on air fried skin on chicken. There are some Vietnamese dishes that braise in the fish sauce caramel but haven't tried that. I believe catfish in fish sauce caramel is a classic that I have eaten in restaurants.
  • pancakerunner
    Options

I make fish sauce caramel too but mostly use it on air fried skin on chicken. There are some Vietnamese dishes that braise in the fish sauce caramel but haven't tried that. I believe catfish in fish sauce caramel is a classic that I have eaten in restaurants.

Great on ice cream... sweet/savory/salty/umani... all the right notes!
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    hfzca4ft8yqc.jpg

also, I have ordered these before. Fish Sauce Caramels. Love!
  • acpgee
    Options
    The recipe I normally use is step 3 of this recipe.

https://thefoodist.uk/2014/12/16/fish-sauce-chicken-wings/
  • acpgee
    Options
    A few weekends ago a friend alerted me to the James Martin cooking show where very famous baker Cherish Finden made a chocolate cake containing soy sauce.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    qkga61akyk3d.jpg
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    hfzca4ft8yqc.jpg

also, I have ordered these before. Fish Sauce Caramels. Love!

Now that is something I've never seen before...I'm intrigued! Salt is just so, so good...and a necessary ingredient!
  • acpgee
    Options
    On the umami sweets thread, we ordered a takeaway dinner last week from a fancy restaurant. Then lockdown happened and we had to cancel because we wouldn't be allowed to collect dinner from the restaurant, a journey requiring public transport.

Dessert would have been sticky toffee pudding with Chinese fermented black bean and cherry.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,418 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I cooked a dinner consisting of a coarse mash of potato, china cabbage and coconut flakes with a bit of milk to make it smoother. Topped with haloumi marinated in sweet soy sauce, chili, ginger and garlic, and again topped with fresh mango. Just happened to have those things in the house.
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    On the umami sweets thread, we ordered a takeaway dinner last week from a fancy restaurant. Then lockdown happened and we had to cancel because we wouldn't be allowed to collect dinner from the restaurant, a journey requiring public transport.

Dessert would have been sticky toffee pudding with Chinese fermented black bean and cherry.

This sounds very yum...you'll have to get back there when this 'thing' goes away. (that is if the restaurant survives this mess)
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Ketchup on white rice. I know that sounds gross. I don't do it often but it's always tasty when I do. I think I'm just obsessed with ketchup lol.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Ketchup on white rice. I know that sounds gross. I don't do it often but it's always tasty when I do. I think I'm just obsessed with ketchup lol.

I like BBQ sauce with white rice haha!
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options

I like BBQ sauce with white rice haha!

That sounds delicious! I'm a big sauce person, so this all sounds delightful to me :D