WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Lisa - that's great news about the warehouse sale being done. What a neat feeling to be free to move on to your goal! And I loved your blog this morning about jeans/clothing we wear as we get older. I have yet to wear PJ's to the store, lol. I often wear my 15 year old faded jeans just because it feels so good to finally fit into them again. If I'm just going to Walmart, my DH's sweat pants are fine. B)

Beth - sending prayers that you get hooked up with a new agency that can support your son.

SueG from Troutdale - welcome! I'm a bit north of you in SW WA State. Keep checking this group out - you'll learn all kind of tips and we are so supportive of each other. Refreshing!!

Barbie - hoping Jake's visit with the cardiologist goes well. My DH has an appointment with the vascular surgeon in Olympia on Feb 20th. If he needs to have anything done, hope it can be done down here. Don't relish driving to Seattle - I won't worry as it might not come to that.

Becca - yes, I'm older than dirt and darn proud of it, lol. Your Navy Nuke son is filling out!

Terry
    - I am so glad your DH is finally getting over the flu. Holy smokes. I too can't wait to see how your photos turn out!

Joyce - thank you for the update on Michelle. Hopefully the bacterial tests come back with something. That commercial with the little gal with her large intestine showing on her costume is so cute. I too can't recall what drug they are selling other than it has to do with the intestine. I remember when I had an abdominal ultrasound done a few years back and was stunned to learn my large intestine came right up under my ribs. For some reason I thought everything was down there around my belly button, lol. Has she had food allergy testing done? Glad she was there to help you with Mozart's little "trim", lol.

NYKaren - thank you for sharing your jar salad recipe. I have all the ingredients here and will make a couple up. Good for you writing in your journal. I can see why you are looking forward to retirement. It's so nice to not have to deal with negative and toxic people at work anymore - when they are at your workplace, it's hard to ignore. I remember the freedom when I could finally tell them "see ya (I hope never, lol)" and shut the door on them!

Have a good Tuesday ladies! One more day then Barbie will get us on board for February. <3

Lanette
    Soggy SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Lanette ...

getting hooked into an agency isn't the problem ... he uses several now for different services. The problem is finding a supported living situation that allows him to be independent and self-direct his life. The current model (excluding where he's been living which was a grand experiment that has come to an end) places people in "homes" regardless of the degree of disability and removes individual autonomy. My son needs physical support (and a little common sense support) but to put him with intellectually disabled individuals would be inappropriate on so many levels. He speaks multiple languages, holds a BA in Romance Languages and is currently pursuing a masters degree in Biblical Studies while always looking for employment. In the disabled community, he is the minority. We're looking for wheelchair accessible apartments that he could share with a roommate, and frankly, they don't exist. Senior buildings have "accessible" apartments for people of all ages but this usually means a walker can get through the doors, not a wheelchair or roll-in shower.

Anyways, enough of my thinking out loud for today. I'm a firm believer in providence and live by an expectation that when a door closes, another is opening. We'll do our part and see what tomorrow brings.

Beth

Beth - Ah, thank you for clarifying. I think you are right - when one door closes, another opens. Kudos to your son for continuing his education - he certainly is exceptional. Is he taking classes online or was he able to attend college on campus?

As I read about his situation, I am now curious about what kind of housing exists in my community. Our state Area Agency on Aging also has caseworkers who deal not only with seniors in need, but with disabled folks of all ages.

You have my wheels turning!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Barbara, This is the new dance I taught on Friday copperknob.co.uk/stepsheets/tell-me-ma-ID109456.aspx

:)<3 Barbie

Cue the music: she is handsome, she is pretty, she is the bell of Belfast city....

I grew up with the Irish folk music usually performed by the Clancy brothers and Tommy Makem ... constantly it seems in the background. The close to St. Patrick’s day visit to Chicago if the Clancy Brothers in concert was a yearly pilgrimage in our family. That is a fun and upbeat song! (Tho I’d trip up all the dancers if you tried to have me join in! Pretty sure my motor coordination deficiencies put that way out of my league, so I’ll just sing along from the sidelines! ).

Lol, I do love to dance- but it has to be modern freestyle jump around to the music stuff - but, Barbie it looks like fun!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    Options
    Just done Day 1 of Week 5 of c25k. :drinker: :D
    It was 5 mins walk, 5 mins run, 3 mins walk, 5 mins run, 3 mins walk, 5 mins run and 5 mins walk.
    All fine and my knee behaved. I am barely shuffling for the running bits, but it's better than sitting on the couch! Great feeling when you've done it. I've got quite addicted to the "high". :D

Going to have a quick hoover round for the agent, but he's not inspecting it, just talking to us.
    Then I'm going to make chilli in the IP. Having it with roasted butternut squash. And broccoli.

Carol - Absolutely. :#:o On a Friday Max has a piano lesson at 8 am and my son has a Personal Trainer at 6.30 am.!!!! Then after school Max has tennis and the parents also play tennis in a different place at 6.30. :sad: I don't even know what the other two are doing! It wasn't like that when my kids were young. The only thing I persevered at was swimming lessons on a Saturday. And DYS had guitar lessons. My DDIL is trying to cut back on commitments to free up mental space, so I can't blame her for not wanting us getting in the way. We will be seeing them, which is the main thing. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Barbara, This is the new dance I taught on Friday copperknob.co.uk/stepsheets/tell-me-ma-ID109456.aspx

:)<3 Barbie
    Thanks! <3
    That IS catchy and QUICK!
    I'm out of breath just listening :D
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    Margaret ... amazing ice photos! But I like yours and Pip's flower pictures better! It's snowing here today ... over 6 inches since last night ... so ready for Spring!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Margaret and Pip: Lovely photos that make me want Spring to get here! :)

PIP: Do you know the name of the tree with the pink flowers? I had one just like that and it got cut down when the County decided we had to remove two huge pine trees. Guess the pine trees fell on it. Anyway, I would love to plant another one in its place.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    "Tell Me Ma" is one of the tunes I run to, all round the lanes! First heard it line dancing on the cruise. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Rye - That is terrific! Well done! That last little bit is sooooooooooooo hard. That's why I started my bonus calorie afternoon sessions. They are doing the trick. I have been at 140 lbs and considered that my official goal, but have usually been a "pesky pound" or two above it. :* Recently that pound turned into six !!! but now it's back to two and a half. I am determined to get back to 140. The worst thing was when they measured me at the doctor's and I discovered I was an inch shorter than I thought, so threw my BMI out. I want it to be just under 24. We can do it!

The estate agent came over and has talked us into lowering the price quite considerably, but on an "offers over" basis. It's different to how we have always done things, but it's worth a try. I'm comfortable with that if the buyers are aware it's offers over from the start. Normally you see a price and offer under the asking price. But he says times have changed and because of the Internet they just see a price and discount it, rather than have a conversation about an offer. We will see. We've also agreed some definite times in the week for viewings, rather than it being random. That is better.
    Of course, we still have the problem of Hove. :|

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    January is Hot Tea Month!

I got so busy yesterday I didn't post at all, so I thought I'd make it up today by giving you a whole month. "A warm, steaming cup of tea is welcome at any time of day, especially in the cold winter months. Whether as an alternative to coffee with the rich tradition of Irish Breakfast tea, or as a quiet cap to the end of the day, settling your nerves with Chamomile and Lavender, tea is amazing. However you do it, Hot Tea Month is a great time to reembrace this delicious beverage that can warm your heart and body."

Drkatiebug - Hurray for finding tile contractors! I've heard so many stories of flaky contractors... don't know what it is about that business that seems to draw people who can't take their work seriously. Hope your latest two are good ones!

Lisa - So happy to hear the sale is really, truly done and DONE!

Becca - Oh, I am so like the lady in your image. "North? South? What is that?" I have no internal compass. The only exception was when we lived in the Albuquerque area... the Sandia Mountains were always visible as a compass point. Without that, I just want to know left or right.

Sue - Welcome! Tell us about yourself!

Joyce - Your nephew's fiance's videos sound like fun. She's right, at least when it comes to me. I know what I need to so, it's doing it that is the challenge!

Beth - So sorry your son has to move. Wishing you both peace as he looks for another situation.

Allie - Oh, dear, you have my deepest sympathies. The whole probate process is overwhelming enough without a family member making it harder. No doubt he is grieving, but so are you... Stopping for a minute to be consciously grateful for my sister and brother right now!

Heather - Wishing you all the best in your efforts to relocate!

I had to skip over a whole bunch of posts this morning. Not sure what happened yesterday... I just got in the zone with work and forgot about posting. At least I logged my meals and exercise, and you're all still in my thoughts.

Now I'd better take care of my errands and get to work. In addition to my paying work, I've got a large pile of various financial entities to call today now that we've finally received Dad's death certificates.

Take care all!

-Yvonne in TX
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Beth, prayers for the right housing for your son.

Janetr, hopefully your husband’s procedure will result in success this time.

Margaret, you might be interested in the story of how my DH came from Minnesota to Georgia. He was discharged from the Air Force in January after spending 4 years in the Philippines and Japan. It was 30 below when he stepped off the plane. Although he was born and raised in Minnesota, his lungs froze. He had to go to the ER where a doctor told him he needed to find a warmer climate, come back to Minnesota in the summer and get reacclimated. His best friend from the Air Force was from Athens, GA so he moved in with him and started attending UGA, where we met. He says he will never live in Minnesota again, and we visit in the summer.

I need to clean the house. Later....
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Machka, I’l love to be by a warm beach right about now. 16F (-9c) here right now. Our driveway is all ice so I pit the ashes from the wood stove down so I wouldn’t fall going to the car. Going to have to put some by the mailbox too next time I empty the stove.

Michele, too bad that Lexi has problems with her kidneys. Any med she could take to help?

Becca, I was going to make a mirror too but never did. If you make it please post a picture.

Beth, I will send good thoughts your son’s way that he will find housing soon.

Heather, hope family matters resolve themselves soon. Families can be so stressful. Not sure what you mean by offers over. Can you explain? Hope you get some bites soon.

NYKaren, your lunch sounds good. I might have to try that. Don’t let others bring you down. Ask yourself “who owns the problem”.

Allie, I’m sure this is a stressful time for you. And your brother isn’t helping at all. Can you still get into the house if you need to? He reminds me of my sister. I agree with Kelly that he is probably feeling guilty.

Janet, hope Jack’s surgery goes well.

Margaret, Brrrrr that ice looks cold.

Pip, beautiful flowers! Is this your yard?

Rye, congratulations on the weight! That is fantastic. You earned it with all your hard work.

Joyce, the videos are such a great idea.

Have to confess that I had a grilled cheese sandwich and fries for lunch. For some reason I just want comfort food today.

Here is a picture of my wedding band I was telling you about. The ring that can’t be sized. It is like a ball bearing and the inside ring( with the small diamonds) slides around the bottom one. It is quite different.

Well that’s about it. Hugs to those that need one and welcome to any newbies.

Terry in a cold office in