WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2018

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did about 5 minutes of hula hoop. Boy, did get a good ab workout picking the hula hoop up off the floor! That is some workout, but I'm determined to get better. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Zuka Power Cardio Disc 2 DVD. Disc 1 was a very good workout, I'm thinking that disc 2 will be also

Jess came here with one of the dogs she's watching and she's taking it out right now. I don't mind walking the dog -- but it's raining out and that's not my thing. Now if it was nice weather out, you can bet I'd be taking that dog for a walk. Then she has a dentist appt, she'll probably come back to take the dog and leave. Update: the rain turned to snow. But it's stopped now, just raining. Do you know they cancelled the school at 10:30? It's supposed to get better around noon. The reason they closed school was because of the "bad roads". Well, if they'd just waited a little, the roads would have been fine. But that's NC for ya

Joyce - it was me who asked about the calcium and the DEXA scan. Thanks for letting me know that it was OK for me to take it

Becca - I always said that Denise and Bryan had two things in common -- their parents and their last name. At least when they were little. What happened???? I must have done something right with Jess. At least you get to see your DIL, be happy about that

M - <Was the answer "high school"?"> No, you know -- UNI See what we learn from this thread???? Not just good eating/exercising :)

YUK, it's snowing. It's not supposed to be doing something like this. Now why couldn't it have happened when we were in FL?

Lisa - how is Egg doing?

barbie - that's interesting that you're told not to take a calcium suppliment before your DEXA scan. I've never been told that. Don't you just hate hearing "at your age"? Especially from a doctor. "Well, you know [i]at your age"
    [/i]
    geneen - welcome! Jump right in...the water's fine! Look at it this way...you'll get plenty of exercise shoveling snow....lol

Carol - I just can't eat the same thing over and over. I know some people can (Vince can). I just get bored.

Rita - get better fast. Happy birthday. You can celebrate when you're better.

Bowling in a few. Tonight ceramics and then mahjongg.

Michele in NC

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Beth- Kettlebell- barefoot or weight lifting shoes like a flat bottom Converse.

Thank you! Was online reading about form and the shoe thing came up.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Do any of you find if you eat the same thing over and over that it's easier to stay on task? Just wondering!

Carol - yes, it works that way for me. Fewer choices means fewer opportunities to trip over myself.

Same here!
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Napping Day!

As Barbara Jordan said, "Think what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had cookies and milk about three o’clock every afternoon and then lay down on our blankets for a nap."

Terry - The chain maille looks beautiful in brass. Do you ever have trouble with it discoloring on the neck on people with a lot of acidity in their skin? It's really spectacular, especially when I think about all of the work that went into it.

Drkatiebug - It's such a bummer when you a try a recipe that looks and sounds so good and then it doesn't turn out. Sometimes I'll mark it up with changes and try again, but some recipes just go straight into the trash if we didn't enjoy the meal. I've heard people say that fish is easy to prepare, but I've never been happy with any fish I made at home. So, except for canned tuna, I reserve fish for eating out.

Joyce - Your comment about your satellite dish made me smile. I miss winter and snow, but I don't particularly miss the days when I had to go outside and sweep the dish to keep the internet working!

Karen
    - Oh, me too - I miss Re's posts so much!

Geneen - Oh, well, at least you're making good use of your snowy weather! Welcome to the group - I look forward to getting to know you.

Lisa - Egg is such a cutie! Our Phineas has been looking fluffier than usual too... I hate to do it, but we may have to go back to two meals a day instead of free feeding. It's been so convenient to just leave the food out for them... maybe I should harness him up and take him out for walks instead!

Well, ladies, I had such a great weekend in Bryan. It was a perfect mix of shopping downtown, relaxing in my hotel room, and visiting with many of my longest-standing friends. (I started to say "oldest" but we're all old so it didn't seem quite correct!) I might go back for another solo visit before then, but I've already made hotel reservations for Philip and me to visit again in November.

I ate a lot, but made fairly good choices and used the hotel's treadmill every day. (Must remember to take walking shoes next time - my ubiquitous Chuck Taylors are fine for wandering around downtown and didn't give me any trouble on the treadmill, but they really don't have the support I should have when I'm doing that kind of walking.) The fitness room had a pair of kettle bells in it, but I was reluctant to just pick them up without knowing what I was doing. Next time I'll study a few videos beforehand so I understand good technique.

Sunshine to everyone -

-Yvonne in TX
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @mikesmom1983 /Chris missing her posts as well!

Katla - my brain loves fat as well! And I really love the type of food that I can eat not even like I'm on a diet!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Do any of you find if you eat the same thing over and over that it's easier to stay on task?

Just wondering!

yup, faster to record too
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Do any of you find if you eat the same thing over and over that it's easier to stay on task?

Just wondering!

I have days of eating in my head that I know are great eating days. And yep, I do eat the same things over and over. I like what I like!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Peach- I definitely eat the same things over and over again. I know what fits in my diet and I like that type of food. A lot of the time we will make a large batch of something and eat that for a few days in a row. For instance my husband will be making two large racks of ribs today and we will be eating them for a couple of days! So yummy!

Very busy day again today! Already went out for a walk and after I'm done here I will be swinging my kettle bell. Then I am going to go to the hot tub and swimming for the early afternoon. Followed by corn hole and testicle toss.

Have a fantastic day everyone!

Mary from Arizona
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    So yesterday for dinner I had planned a slice of roast, and a potato bit and carrots. Of course I am not much of a meat eater but yesterday I channeled a cave woman! I had two slices, then two more! I love roast, potatoes, and carrots dipped in ketchup!!! Oh baby!!!!! So this morning I weighed, and no gain! Exactly what I weighed yesterday! Course I was planning for this roast meal, and had granola cereal for lunch, and a chicken broth mixture w/ spinach and two biscuits from my husband's breakfast.
    So I slept in this morning, and took a bath. I am a naked slug today! Its 12:34 and I've yet to have coffee or breakfast or lunch!
    Hugs ladies, I appreciate your journeys, and wise words!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Egg is so cute. Are you sure he's fat? Loki is 16 pounds, he looks fat but even the vet has said that he's just big

Mary - I would think that you should wear some sort of shoe when you are using the kettlebells in case one of them slips out of your hand.

katla - that's how Vince's mother sold almost everything of hers (by using an agent)

Michele in NC
    who is off to ceramics
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Had a really lovely day sitting by my friend for her chemo. A lot of waiting around for a little happening, but we chatted away about everything. She seemed improved on last time in spirit, so that's good. It finished earlier than last time, so I was able to get back home in good time. Had to improvise on dinner because I wasn't expecting to be home. Strangely I was absolutely exhausted when I got back - hours of sitting on trains and in hospital is sooooooooooooo tiring. Far more than running! :laugh: I normally would have succumbed to a drink, but resisted with the help of my AF drinks. Happy. :)

I have a large repertoire of meals that I cook in a rotation that goes - fish, chicken, veggie, meat, fish, veggie, duck, seafood, meat etc etc. I try not to eat too much red meat. We eat piles of vegetables. I cook the same recipes often, from many different countries, but I'm always delighted when I find a new "keeper". The important thing for me is to cook and eat mindfully, so that I am really loving every bite of my food. That way I don't feel as if I am depriving myself in any way. Dinner lasts from 6 pm until gone 8.30 pm, with four elements - main course, dessert (stewed fruit and homemade yoghurt ), cheese and a piece of plain chocolate.
    On holiday I add a "starter". :D I like my evening meals to last as long as possible, as they do in continental Europe. It is an occasion to look forward to. The big change recently is that it is no longer accompanied by alcohol. :bigsmile:

Yoga tomorrow and a hair trim. I think DH is planning to come into town with me and get his hair cut. Depending on the weather I may go for a run afterwards.

Today, while I was in London, DH took a massive amount of stuff to the dump. :D<3 Our garage looks much clearer, but we still have masses to do. Our projected new house doesn't have any loft space and no utility room. :o Tiny yard, so a lot of garden equipment has to go. Bit by bit we will do it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Michele- there isn't a shoe that would protect your foot other then steal toed. Anyhow people are not likely to drop a Kettlebell. Weight lifters lift barefoot or they wear flat weight lifting shoes as well. They have a greater risk of dropping a weight plate.

<3

Mary from Arizona