Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    Mmm
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    NYKAREN So so sad about your colleague's mother. Reminds me of Gloria being hit by a car while walking her dog. It is shocking and tragic. It sounds as if it happened during a time of emotional vulnerability for you. I am sorry. Sending (((hugs))).

We're your pocket angels, take us with you...

Karen in VIrginia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :'(Heather, I, too, am sorry to hear the news of your house in Hove. This has been such a tough experience for you.

<3Lisa, we changed insurance companies for house and auto almost a year ago. Jake did the research online about companies and it seemed to me that the better the ad on TV, the worse the rating. Good luck.

<3NY Karen, we routinely turn down invitations for social events for the same reasons you do. And we rarely attend funerals and memorials.

:)Katla, I applaud your willingness to drive the motorhome. In the five years we had an RV, I drove ours only once and only for a few minutes.

<3 Barbie
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Morning my friends! <3

Cheri
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Machka ~ What a sweet gift from your parents. <3

Lisa ~ Finding the right insurance can be tough. We went with a company called Cincinnati (sp?) because my DH's long time friend recommended them. When we had the bad water leak last Fall, they were very good about paying for the damaged floors.

Heather ~ I really think that the right house will come your way if it is meant to be.

NY Karen ~ I am sorry you are feeling blue but I understand. When I was teaching, it was my whole life and I was very sad when it ended. I hate social gatherings like you mentioned and always felt out of place.

The two dogs are surviving on the screened end porch with the door to outside opened so they can go out. They hate it out there and scratch on the inside door because they want to come inside. The small black dog and torn up two floor mats and started on a chair cushion today. Good thing the screen has been torn in so many places to begin with so they can't do any more damage to that.

Carol in GA
  • ScrapStitching
    ScrapStitching Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Morning! Just checking in to say hi.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Checking in

HEATHER so sorry to hear about the house, enjoy rest of your cruise

REBECCA I too love reading your posts, you always make me smile :D:smiley:

Been out this morning to buy material to make a skirt, my favourite summer skirt has definitely got to go. It is made in 8 panels so I have made a pattern and hope to get down to it tomorrow.

Kate UK <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,414 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Rye - thank you for the SWSY information! Since I'm so tall, I was kind of off-kilter when I'd hang on to the counter to do my leg exercises and my hips would complain. I found something (a swimmer's noodle actually) to place on the counter to hang on for balance plus it made me stand straighter and while I didn't have to take off my shoe on the swinging foot, I think it kind of did the same thing. Love it that we can share tips like this! <3

Heather
    - Didn't the Hove house kind of fall through before then come back to life? Sending good thoughts that things will somehow line up for it. Great photos and love your travelogue. Those bulging cans.... yikes. Does anyone ever get botulism? :sB)

Rebecca - your dad was certainly handsome! And as I recall your mom was a doll as well. So are you! Way to go with the rock painting and pills. My DH does his own pills once a week and so far has kept on schedule and not missed anything except forgetting to take them if he's really tired as he takes them right before bed.

Barbara
    - I was glad to hear Joe is thinking of doing some biking. So important for us to move while we still can.

Karen in VA - I hear you on avoiding the retirement parties and expense/calories. Sorry to hear about your friend's mother. (((HUGS)))

I dropped off copies of our current auto and homeowner policies/bills (Hartford) at an insurance broker's yesterday and she's going to see if there's a better deal with a local company. I did a little digging and in most states (not all) credit ratings can be taken into account when determining auto premium rates. That's mind-boggling and not right in my opinion. I read that bad credit can sometimes impact a person's premium more than if they'd had tickets or accidents. A pox on insurance companies, lol.

I am so grateful I stuck with my county job even tho it drove me nuts the final few years - having a pension (not a very big one, mind you) comes in handy with all of these expenses and increases in insurance, power bill, property taxes etc. that we have no control over. And for utilities and property taxes, unless a person is truly destitute it seems a person can't qualify for low-income discounts.

Lisa - good luck finding insurance- I'm sure there's something out there but it often takes time we don't have or want to spend. I don't envy you that task and just thinking of filling out paperwork and dealing with dweebs over the phone makes me think about a cookie, or two.

Machka
    - I agree, what a sweet gift. An acquaintance of ours lost his son a few weeks ago - he died in his sleep and he was only 30 and the family flew to Anchorage to have him buried up there. They made a final swing by the cemetery on the way to the airport and the father somehow fell and injured his head and has been in the ICU. He's slowly getting better but reminded me so much of your DH.

Katiebug - what rotten luck! Hopefully the time will go by quickly.

Terry - how are you doing with your foot? We haven't heard from you in a little while. Thinking of you!! Hoping you and your DH are well. ((HUGS))))

Kate - have fun with the skirt! Make sure you post a photo of you modeling it! <3

Going to Area Agency on Aging meeting today. A hot topic is transportation for seniors who cannot drive because of health reasons or because they cannot afford a car (see discussion on costs above, lol.) There's a small government sponsored bus company that's been running in the more populated areas and wants to pass a sales tax in order to expand into the rural areas to help seniors get into town for groceries, senior centers, doctors, etc.

I think that's a good idea - but I'm curious on how these seniors will be able to get to the bus stops in the first place if they are so limited transportation wise to begin with? Hoping we can toss this around and find some answers. Our county is quite "poor" compared to the Seattle area where there's a huge tax base.

Hugs all around and welcome newbies.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Rebecca: I love this, "My mind is like my internet browser, 19 tabs open, 3 of them are frozen & I have no idea where the music is coming from." As long as you have music, you will be okay. :bigsmile:

Michele: I'm sorry that Vince hurt his back during shooting. I hope he recovers quickly. :heart:

Allie: Thanks for explaining CDL. :flowerforyou:

Sam UK: Welcome to a great group! :smiley:

Lisa: I hope you are able to find suitable homeowner's insurance at a reasonable price. (((HUGS)))

(((NYKaren))) Like Karen in VA, your colleague's mother's situation reminded me of Gloria. Unexpected loss is difficult for everyone. :flowerforyou:

Machka: I'm happy that your parent's sent you hope. It is a lovely gift. :heart:

Kate UK: I hope you will share photos of your sewing project. I admire that kind of skill. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: We live in a relatively rural county. We have a local bus company, called CC Rider. The CC stands for Columbia County. They transport people to Portland for work. They also have a Dial A Ride service for people within the community. I've seen their buses in the local community more in the past year than before.
    We see many disabled people riding their mobility devices to the grocery stores in our town. DH has done this as an experiment but we usually drive our car instead & he pushes a grocery cart if needed. The larger stores have handicapped carts to ride inside the store for those who need them. This partially has to do with those of us who are Baby Boomers. We are a big bulge in the population, and are getting older & in need of some services. However, MOST of those I see using mobility devices in the stores are morbidly obese, not seniors. :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    The fence that took over a week to paint

ud24zoikiouw.jpg

I acquired Joe the turtle at a tea party. They had different things to bid on to raise money. I bid on him thinking someone would out bid me. I did find a good home for him.

iuyflmva6v2z.jpg

This is as close to the color of the bouquet of peonies as I could get. They make me smile when I look at them.

gkeugdm4n4ph.jpg

I love the fence and the turtle. We have some scraps of some of that wood at home, I wonder if my hubby would make one for me.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    here I am home, and walked the dog.. and I am going to go through pictures now for Tracy for the wedding.. and something old... so im hunting, and dont have to go in until noon tomorrow

My daughter was a Maid of Honor at her best friends wedding two years ago. As a shower gift for the bride she provided all of the items. Something Old, Something New, it was really fun helping her find just the perfect things for the bride. I love all of the wedding traditions.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    heather - wow ! A waterfall - It looked like snow!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Thank you for your support about the house. The estate agent is v apologetic. Not his fault.
    Not going to think about it right now. :#

If I seem a little selfish at the moment it's because the Internet is so patchy I only have time to get out the essentials. I am reading all and empathising. <3<3<3<3<3 Photos are really hard to do.

Today we visited a wonderful old "church town" , but the photo I took of the video of the town in the snow won't post. Grrrr! It's a UNESCO site. Amazing. The church was ancient and had an old Catholic altar piece from Antwerp. The farmers who came from far and wide to worship built their own cottages to stay the night. We were able to go inside one of the cottages and talk with the owner. In the old days they had youth festivals and the young men went round serenading the girls and knocking on the windows. If the girl fancied one of the farmer's boys she would invite him in to spend the night with her in her bed fully clothed. Oh yer?!!? The parish is bigger than Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg.

Then we went to the waterfall. I know you have incredible ones in the States, but this was the biggest I've seen. We had a nice buffet lunch in a hotel with a good view of the falls.

The only sour note was that we chose to get off the coach in town to do some food shopping. I bought dried reindeer meat, rye cracker bread and some Daim bars. We will be sharing this with my son and family. A woman in the shop was very helpful about the right things to buy. That's the third really helpful Swedish /Norwegian woman we have met. Happy to help us stupid foreigners.
    We had a coffee and then went to pick up the shuttle bus in the appointed place, but it didn't show up. :#:o:/
    Turned out the pick up place had changed. Grrrrrrrrrr! We have let them know that we are not pleased. Not pleased at all. Eventually we found it.
    So, our butler brought us extra tea and canapés. And we had a gin and tonic.

Feeling more mellow now.

Love Heather xxxxxxxxxx

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    Options
    b8bipugg6g33.jpg

Hooray, posted! This is a picture of a video. We weren't there in the snow.
    Love Heather ☓