What was the last meal you cooked?

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    We're going to do white asparagus (bought from the German deli) with hollandaise, ham and hasselback potatoes tonight.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Homemade ramen topped with sliced peppercorn pork loin, a hard boiled egg, mushrooms, green onions and bonito flakes.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I did pulled pork in the instant pot with bbq sauce. I also made spicy macaroni salad, green beans, brussel sprouts (Those were a bust) and roasted potatoes.
  • jedoubleday
    jedoubleday Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    lobster in a homemade Parmesan sauce over pasta with asparagus
  • acpgee
    Options
    I've got a girlfriend coming round to dinner tonight but keeping it simple.
    Will air fry some dutch bitterballen I made for the freezer last weekend to start. These are croquettes made of beef stew which are liquid when you bite into them. Official recipes are a total pain but I use an easy hack. Make a roux, stir in a tin of beef stew and a packet of softened gelatine. When cold and congealed roll into balls and coat in flour, egg and bread crumbs. Freeze in a tray and transfer to ziplock bags. Air fry or bake from frozen after spraying or tossing frozen balls with a little oil.
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/beef-bitterballen-recipe-1129015
    Main is nam prik ong. This recipe is quicker than most because it starts with a commercial red curry paste instead of making it from scratch.
    https://importfood.com/recipes/sauces/recipe/201-spicy-pork-and-tomato-dip-with-veggies-nam-prik-ong
    I made an English summer pudding last night to serve with commercial custard. It's chilling under a weight in the fridge.
    https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/summerpudding_90295
  • acpgee
    Options
    Main of nam prik ong, and a little grapefruit salad.
    98dkdzyo6l4j.jpg
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    shrimps with asparagus and water chestnuts in general tso's sauce.. over rice.
    jor2qgn29sb3.jpg

• Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Roasted chicken with lemon and mandarin.
    Rice with vegetables:peas,red sweet bell pepper,spring onions, a little corn and a few green olives.
  • acpgee
    Options
    We have leftover crudites from last night's nam prik ong, so trying another hot thai dip for raw veg. David Thompson's recipe of lon with semi dried salmon from his book Thai Food. Only I am using lomo de bonito (lightly salt cured tuna loin from Spain) that I was brought as a hostess gift a couple of weekends ago. Hoping this turns out edible. This recipe is not disimilar from David Thompson's but uses plain rather than lightly cured salmon.
    http://shesimmers.com/2012/09/lon-pla-salmon-salmon-coconut-milk-relish-หลนปลาแซลมอน.html

Doing grilled Cambodian corn in the air fryer with that.
    https://tarasmulticulturaltable.com/pot-ang-cambodian-grilled-corn/
  • acpgee
    Options
    The lon was a little salty as recipe called for salmon cured for only a few hours which is probably less than the lomo de bonito I substituted. Will freeze what's left over and stretch with more coconut milk when reheating next time.

That Cambodian corn reads like an unlikely recipe but tastes amazing. I might try adding liquid smoke to the marinade if I am not grilling over charcoal.

pqz4xke1tivv.jpeg

• Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    Just made West African Peanut Stew from a recipe a friend from Ghana gave me! Hope I did her proud:) l4ooi8ny3ejd.jpeg

that looks SO GOOD! Would you mind sharing the recipe?

@RachelElser - I’m Not sure how I missed this!

Would love to share the recipe!

Stacy’s West African Peanut Stew

3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
    1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
    1 tsp. ground coriander
    1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
    1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 clove
    Garlic to taste
    Half cup chopped mostly cooked! yam
    2 cups chopped chicken parts( I used thighs)
    Half cup chopped spinach or okra (I had spinach)
    1- 2 red Chiles to taste
    3 cups chicken stock

Simmer chicken and garlic until browned, then add in vegetables - yam takes forever to cook, so pre cook that! Add in stock and peanut butter - let stew on low for 30-40 minutes.

This can also be done in a crock pot - also awesome and no precooking! Including the high maintenance yam. Lol

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    7ssv58s49uuh.jpg
    Very green vegan Thai curry from a recipe that's on the Guardian's website. Per usual I used less oil than is called for and I also ended up using one and a half fewer chiles. I also ended up using fresh galangal as opposed to paste, twice the amount of garlic and lime leaves, and omitted the cumin and pepper. More accurately, I used galangal that I bought fresh yesterday, sliced very thinly with a mandolin, and put in the freezer for later use.

It wasn't nearly as saucy as the picture which could be helped with some broth. Otherwise it was great. I'd probably put more chile in it next time. It was also a bit of a test to see if the store brand of coconut milk from the grocery store nearest my house is worth using (I prefer Aroy-D but I have to go out of my way to get it inexpensively). It totally is.

This needs to go in my permanent rotation.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Sourdough pizzas topped with onion, red pepper and mushrooms in fajitas spices.

I normally burn the bases; this time I ended up with undercooked ones. I'm gonna claim that they're deliberately part-baked for freezing and reheating :)
  • acpgee
    Options
    Egg fried rice.bnk6ldg2rav2.jpeg
  • meganelisabeth
    meganelisabeth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Last meal cooked was dinner last evening. Consisted of: steamed corn on the cob (no butter, salt or pepper), roasted mini potatoes, roasted whole cremini mushrooms, and roasted red & yellow peppers.
  • onepebble
    onepebble Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Roasted eggplant pasta - basically a big tray of veggies (red onion, red capsicum, yellow capsicum, eggplants, garlic, Roma tomatoes) drizzled with olive oil and salt/pepper, oven roasted until they were soft and almost charred. Blended, and added to pasta with grilled chicken, fresh basil and a few dollops of soft ricotta. Yum!
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    we had company yesterday, so mixed green salad, bacon wrapped asaragus, corn on the cob, grilled chicken and marinated grilled salmon :) Oh and angel food cake for dessert!!! hehe
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just now. Simple stir-fry small pieces beef and chicken and mixed veggies, a little soy sauce and ginger. Rice.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Hubby normally cooks during the week but I volunteered for tomorrow. Roast green asparagus, easy gratin dauphinoise, air fried gammon steaks. Might do a little homemade hollandaise. This is the easy dauphinoise recipe I use, cutting down calories by using 2% milk only.
    https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/gratin-dauphinois-recipe
    The easiest way I found to do hollandaise for two is to beat an egg yolk seasoned with a little white wine vinegar and (cayenne) pepper. Heat 100g butter until foaming in a small sauce pan. Whisk slowly into the egg yolk. If still to thin at this stage, transfer back to hot pan where you melted butter, whisking vigorously. Mostly the residual heat is enough heat to thicken the sauce to the right texture. If doing a larger quantity for more people you might have to stick the small saucepan into a larger one containing simmering water au bain marie and whisk while warming the sauce.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Correction about the easy Hollandaise. One egg yolk to 50-60 g butter is enough for 2 people. I use 2 yolks to 100g butter to serve 4. Not really diet food but a nice treat.