What was the last meal you cooked?

Options

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    This thai style grilled chicken. I ate it on salad greens with mint from the garden (from a potted plant, don't plant mint outside of a pot unless you want a field of mint). I prefer it grilled outside, but the grill pan worked well this afternoon. I've also now confirmed that the marinade needs no oil.

Fully making this tomorrow. Thanks!

Awesome! My one suggestion would be to taste the salad dressing before you put the tamarind in. I don't think it needs as much (or any) but I'm also not all for really sour things with savory foods. I think this time I basically made nuoc cham (but without the water) - so the dressing that's called for, but without the tamarind.
  • zazu1956
    zazu1956 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As we both work in the week, did roast chicken and roast veg today. Made a goulash in the slow cooker for later in the week and also knocked up a rather wonderful Cajun bean soup from the Pinch of Nom cook book.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    I hope nobody from India is reading along, but I just cooked a big pile of Aloo Gobi. With bacalao as I wanted some protein in it with a specific texture. Tastes very good. I'm not cooking rice to go with it, and two portions go into the freezer.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    The hubby dropped a carton of eggs carrying in the shopping. All the rescued broken eggs have been turned into a Spanish tortilla for tomorrow's breakfast.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2738/real-spanish-omelette

You took the saying about "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade" and changed it to "When life hands you broken eggs, make Spanish tortilla" :)
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    Last Thursday dinner I made lamb curry burgers, with mixed veg (zucchini, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms and yellow bell peppers) as a side. Also made a mint/malt vinegar/sugar sauce for the lamb.
    (yikes! just remembered that I used up the last of the malt vinegar and should go get more)
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Veggie frittata today for breakfast, which will also cover breakfast for 3 days during the week. Put in onion, carrots, zucchini, orange and green peppers, kale, mushrooms, 6 eggs, nutritional yeast, olive oil and a heaping teaspoon of harissa. Yum!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    Still trying to nail gratin dauphinoise, gamon steak, roast green asparabus and hollandaise in my repertoire. Last time I split the hollandaise, overcooked the gratin which also over browned. This time the hollandaise was perfect, but gammon steak done on the grill pan instead of the air fryer was overcooked. Aspargus was also slightly over. We also had some roast baby corn which were perfect. Gratin was a little too overcooked. I guess I need to keep practicing this menu.
    u6uaq6akxlgq.jpeg
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Ooooo I forgot. After cooking the above for lunches this week, I threw together some quick turkey burgers to freeze for dinners later in the week. Ground turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire, ketchup, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. 🤤
  • aokoye
    Options
    I just took a galette in the oven. Per usual, I didn't make the recipe as called for. I didn't add the feta and eggs because I don't like either of those. I also didn't freeze the galette prior to putting it in the oven.

We'll see how it works out. I've had to keep a very close eye on it and ended up tenting it with foil half an hour into the 50 minutes of baking. It's resting right now and it looks like the bottom isn't burnt which is a good sign.
  • anniecowgirlup
    anniecowgirlup Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Really easy to make and one of my favorite low cal meals. I made an exchange because I couldn't find frozen artichokes.... I used 2 cans of artichokes in water, drained and cut up. Also I added more mozzarella cheese with putting about a cup in between two layers of the sauce mix, then another cup on top. A great meal, that freezes into individual containers and reheats well for work day lunches. Under 300 calories too! Just enough pasta and meat to feel like you're having a rich pasta meal for hardly any calories and packed with protien from the spinach and artichokes. Enjoy!
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/baked-ziti-casserole/
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I just took a galette in the oven. Per usual, I didn't make the recipe as called for. I didn't add the feta and eggs because I don't like either of those. I also didn't freeze the galette prior to putting it in the oven.

We'll see how it works out. I've had to keep a very close eye on it and ended up tenting it with foil half an hour into the 50 minutes of baking. It's resting right now and it looks like the bottom isn't burnt which is a good sign.

Interesting! Looks like Greek spinach pie, but in a pizza crust instead of filo dough. I don’t quite understand how you can make it without eggs though; doesn’t that hold the filling together?
  • acpgee
    Options
    A simple turkey, celery and carrot stir fry to try out the new carbon wok the hubby tempered yesterday. Not sure if I prefer it to my non stick stone wok that I don't dare take to the highest temperature.
    czd60wzcuvfb.jpeg
  • aokoye
    Options

Interesting! Looks like Greek spinach pie, but in a pizza crust instead of filo dough. I don’t quite understand how you can make it without eggs though; doesn’t that hold the filling together?

Kind of, but also with chickpeas. It definitely held together without the egg, though I'm wishing I had only used spinach instead of chard and spinach. The filling itself isn't especially loose. Think of something like a butternut squash galette. I've made that recipe a number of times without the cheese (though I can deal with fontina) and the filling has no issues.

I think where you would have trouble with a similar filling out is if you used the filling without the eggs to make something like maultaschen without crimping the edges all the way around (the way I make it/have had it involves the two cut ends not being crimped). In that case the dumplings are boiled and frankly I was a bit sceptical at first about the filling not falling out in the process of boiling but was pleasantly surprised.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Been traveling - last week was up in Ottawa, with yesterday driving home to NJ. So today seemed right for a south-of-the-border meal, "6th of May." Turkey enchiladas, yellow rice, black bean salad.

w6bkf3ntrwnh.jpg
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Last night I made fish tacos (soft corn shells, 3 fish sticks per shell, broccoli slaw and a homemade "bang bang" sauce) with roasted sweet potato fries.
  • aokoye
    Options
    Polenta With Wild Mushrooms and Marinara Sauce (yes - I love the NYTimes' cooking recipe content). In this case the wild mushrooms were mostly not wild cremini mushrooms, but that was only to round out the half a pound of morels that I bought at farmers market on Saturday. The thyme and rosemary came from the garden. Because of my general hatred of cheese, I just made plain polenta in the rice cooker. Yes parmesan is one of the few cheeses I do like, but I really don't like it or any other cheese in polenta.

I also made chimichurri with green garlic which ended up topping some roasted asparagus. The green garlic was also from farmers market and I should have picked up some asparagus there as well, but I forgot to and got it at the grocery store with the creminis.

jsydrxtsn3o8.jpg
    x6hspszc4ubi.jpg
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I made a copy version of Olive Garden's zuppa toscana soup. (Italian sausage, sliced potatoes, kale) + sandwiches.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Baked salmon with Oh She Glows lemon tahini dressing on the side with stir fried coleslaw veggies and cauli rice.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Miso roast carrots, mongolian beef with snow peas, rice. Part of the program of testing out the new carbon steel wok that hubby tempered on the weekend. Still not sure if I prefer my stone coated non stick wok that I don't dare take to extremely high temperatures on the biggest gas hob for fear of damaging the non stick coating.
    rh8uj8pzz18u.jpeg