The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    razorcut wrote: »
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    I would just say, don't let the zealots turn you off to AA. The fellowship is a vital part of conquering this. But you don't have to cut ties with your friends. You don't have to dive right into working the steps with a sponsor. You don't have to live at the club 24/7, and only go to AA events.
    This. It’s full of zealots, but there are just as many of us “non-zealot” types. Hell, I’m agnostic and yet I still greatly appreciate what the program has afforded me. To me, the fellowship has been key above all else.

I went to Al Anon meetings while a family member was doing AA meetings - yet I still drank at the time - never gave it a second thought - I was a self centered jerk.

I found the meetings to be tedious most of the time but every now and again, someone would say something and BAMMO! like a laser to the heart, I was dialed in. I actually found the before and after meeting time to be just as, if not more, beneficial than the group meetings. One on one with someone whom you have a connection with is huge.

There are so many meeting places and times - find a group that you fit in with a do it.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Jan-0 drinkin days <3
    Feb-2 drinkin days >:)
    March-0 drinkin days <3
    April-0 drinkin days <3

Heck yeah!!!

Inspiring Kevin!! You are so doing it!!
  • salleewins
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Yup. I've got 18 months and AA and doing the work made the difference from all the other times I tried to quite or moderate...

EXCELLENT TO HEAR!!!!!! NICE WORK!!!!!!
  • salleewins
    Options
    Yes, some of the different meeting locations left me drinking after, but I found about 5 I felt like I fit in best with. Dove into following the entire program finally. Still working on step 4 for many months and a bit at a time. My sponsor says that it is amazing how well the program does not work, when you don't work it. I haven't been to a meeting in almost 2 mo.---so that would be slipping-- and am starting to miss what insights I can glean, the fellowship etc. I will get back there. I also want to try the Celebrate Recovery meeting I have recently found. They aren't just in my area. I will begin today with the phone AA meetings again. One meeting in person I really felt like I fit in with and I was told along the way by a phone meeting member to go early and stay after the meeting. I have had to make an effort with that, but it has been worth it. For me, I have found that it is way harder to do it on my own.
  • salleewins
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @lorrainequiche59’s post about “doing the work “ raises a question for me. Right now I don’t mind doing the work. I expect it to be work. It’s day 32, so very early in the game. But when, if ever, does it stop being work? Will there ever come a day when alcohol doesn’t cross my mind? I realize some people go to regular AA meetings years and years after they quit drinking. That sounds awful to me. Maybe someone with some years under your belt can chime in? Am I doomed to thinking about alcohol daily for life???

I've been AF for over 6 years. Before that I was drinking almost every day, and frequently to excess (I often was not able to hit the off switch). Now, most days alcohol doesn't cross my mind. And when it does, it's fleeting. So there is hope that you're not doomed to thinking about it everyday for life.

GOOD TO HEAR!!! NICE WORK!!! IMPRESSIVE!!!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @MountainLaurel787 106 days! Nice. You're exactly double me today... Day 53!

Fantastic to you two!!