The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Good Morn...Day OFF today <3

A couple of weeks ago I ran across a 2 page article I've saved from years ago. It is an article By Byron Katie entitled, "Loving What Is" and is in the August/September 2009 issue of Healthy Directions magazine (Canadian issue) Someone copied it for me and I do not remember who it was lol...but obviously, someone who cares about me...so I want to relate some of the article over the next few days in my comments...so here's the first two paragraphs:

"The only time we suffer is when we believe a thought that argues with what is. when the mind is perfectly clear, what is, is what we want. If you want reality to be different than it is, you might as well try to teach a cat to bark. You can try and try, and in the end the cat will look up at you and say, "Meow." Wanting reality to be different than it is is hopeless.

And yet, if you pay attention, you'll notice that you thnk thoughts like this dozens of times a day. "People should be kinder." "Children should be well-behaved." "My husband (or wife) should agree with me." "I should be prettier, (or thinner or more successful)." These thoughts are ways of wanting reality to be different than it is. If you think this sounds depressing, you are right. All the stress that we feel is caused by arguing with what is?"

Food for thought!!

Part 2 tomorrow.....

Hoping a contented, AF day for all :)
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Good Morn <3

@lloydrt Thank you for your honesty about your past and it has obviously motivated you to become a better person and not repeat the abusive pattern. You are a success story!!

It is great to be liberated from the enslavement to alcohol and I appreciate your confidence that alcohol doesn't even register in your mind. For me I have the same confidence with a limit. I never say never only because I remember very clearly when I came very close in the recent past to wanting to blot it all out one more time and the craving coming out of, seemingly, nowhere but actually from alot of grief. :'(

At the same time, like you, I rarely think about it...very rarely and mostly when I have a function to attend. I try to have a game plan which involves leaving early if I get uncomfortable. Tonight I have an event with alcohol included and my game plan in mind. I don't "expect" to feel tempted, but have an out if I do.

Happy AF day to all...snowy day for some of us (already)!!!! I need to get an outdoor snow hobby.... ;)

This WILL get easier.

My 3 favorite words, "you are right!!" it does get easier.

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    thanks Lorraine.........I pray each day for all of us, that we find the way .......

best wishes, Lloyd
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Hello I am only on day 7. I've tried to stop drinking a few times over the years and failed. This last time scared me and I don't even want to see another drop of alcohol. I've come to the conclusion that alcohol will be the death of me if I don't stop now. I'm only 26 and feel as if it has progressed further than it ever should have ... I'm done.

Happy to read your post! Day 7 bravo!! One day at a time.... I would immerse myself in books about alcohol and blogs.... stay educated and focused. Best wishes!
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hello I am only on day 7. I've tried to stop drinking a few times over the years and failed. This last time scared me and I don't even want to see another drop of alcohol. I've come to the conclusion that alcohol will be the death of me if I don't stop now. I'm only 26 and feel as if it has progressed further than it ever should have ... I'm done.

Something that helped me in the first few weeks were Podcasts.... Recovery Elevator, Recovery Happy Hour, This Naked Mind. I listened to them on my way home from work...right before the time I usually swung into the liquor store. Wishing you the very best.