WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Karen UK, that is beautiful!

I’m going to a Christmas program that includes a meal tonight. Dave is not going so he asked me to pick him up a couple of burgers. I was sitting in the drive thru and pulled up my budget app on the phone. I clicked on add transaction and it already had Hardee’s and eating out entered into the Payee and budget category fields. Big Brother never ceases to amaze me.

Off to my program. I have 900 calories saved. I hope it is enough.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Hugs ladies!💗
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Been a couple of whirlwind days :s I went to bed at 8 p.m. and slept til 8 a.m., which was amazing. Also got in my exercise this morning before a few errands. Went shoe shopping with DD and had a lovely little lunch, soup and salad at Panera Bread, cannot believe how sweet tasting their autumn squash soup is! I could have had that for desert!

Nice to hear and see how everyone is handling/enjoying the holidays. I am a bit nervous about visiting my sisters for Christmas (she is a loose cannon and is under a great deal of stress these days) I will put on my big girl pants and look for ways to enjoy and share.

For my word of the year, I'm torn between GRATITUDE or ALACRITY (Barbie taught me that one :) ) I am recognizing the power of gratitude as an attitude or Kelly might say "flipping" the script and looking for the positive. It is a very very productive, healthy attitude in my life so will make up my mind soon.

NYKAREN
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    Karne UK Happy Birthday :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :# I woke up this morning with a cold---the kind with lots of nose blowing and coughing. I am grateful that I have no place to go and nothing to do until next Thursday. That should give me plenty of time to recover.

<3Pip, hugs to Kirby and you
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,433 Member
    Options
    Pip - sending prayers your way! Hopefully it's nothing serious and Kirby is feeling better.

Lisa – Lovely photos of you and Corey. And how thrilling that he landed a job so quickly with such a great company. Did I mention he’s a hunk to boot? LOL! Have fun with your company over the holidays. A year ago, did you imagine the life you are living now?

Kelly
    - glad to hear from you! No snow for Christmas? Maybe January/February will make up for it. I remember when we got married in February, 1977, there were tremendous drifts and the road was closed. My Dad had to blaze a trail with his huge tractor so the minister could get to Grandma's house to perform the ceremony. Northern Indiana winters.... don't miss them.

Allie – thinking about your electric fireplace, is it for the ambiance or a heat source or both? I thought we kept our house cold but you have us beat. We have a couple little oil-filled heaters – they look like old fashioned radiators so nothing fancy, there’s an element in them that heats oil – maybe mineral oil? and slowly warms a room and keeps it warm. DH has one in his shop to help keep our outdoor kitty who sleeps in there comfy, and we turn one on in the living room at night on low to give a little heat for our old dog as the house does get down into the low 60’s sometimes. Their electric usage is a few dollars a month. We got ours at Home Depot and I’ve seen them at Walmart.

Barbara AHMOD – I too miss the gals you listed! Hope they check in by the end of the year!! Our new Speed Queen washer (which will be delivered Monday morning = Merry Christmas to us!) has the knobs. I really wanted something without electronics but as of 2018 they had to start, per some government rule, to put some in. Sigh. I paid a little more to get the mid-level which has a 5 year warranty, price ended up being about the same as if I’d bought something at Home Depot and purchased an additional warranty. Plus the repairman lives a few miles from us and if need be he could swing in to fix something on his way home from work. Our old Kenmore is limping along, the salesgal at Home Depot suggested unplugging the washer for an hour or two which sometimes resets its computer. I unplugged it overnight, and that seems to have worked but who knows for how long. Want to squeeze another load out of it tomorrow.

Katla
    - I’ve been where you are with crocheting hats per request. Not quite the same as doing it for your own joy and not for someone else’s wishes. Like Barbie – too much pressure takes the fun out of it.

Beth – driving out for your dad’s birthday when convenient for YOU and nix on the gift sounds like a good idea.

RE DNA testing, I’m still on the fence. I read the reviews on Amazon.com, which I should have read before buying, and several adopted folks reported finding their long-lost relatives using the AncestryDNA.com which I guess matches DNA to others who post theirs. Downside, they warn, is that you might not like what you find out. Like your bio dad is really the milkman, lol. That sometimes the information provided is pretty general “native North American” when a person was hoping the actual tribe would be identified. And that DNA info sticks around in their database and is sometimes shared with health care and other organizations – though at our age, it doesn’t seem important. Beth, please let us know if your son is happy with the results of the kit he uses.

Not sure if I already mentioned, I watched a really cute Christmas movie on Netflix “The Christmas Chronicles” – Kurt Russell gives a new take on Santa and it has lots of neat special effects.

Heather – fabulous photos of the grands, so glad you are closer to them! That First Aid Kit will be treasured, for sure. Potential doctor there?

Here’s a grandparent story. Yesterday I saw something very special. It was dusk, I was on the back deck watching one of the dogs when my neighbor’s son drove into their driveway. The car was barely stopped when the passenger door opened and the neighbor’s 6 year old granddaughter leaped out and went running full tilt to the front door. What absolute joy that child was feeling and those grandparents love that kid so much. Sure brought back memories of my childhood Christmases at Grandma’s house.

Better close. Hugs to those missing their kids and relatives during the Holidays, and wishing strength to those of you making cookies! Glad I’m not in a cookie loop for many reasons, lol.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Thinking about you and Kirby, Pip. Hoping it's all good.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,433 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Karen UK - I forgot to mention - Happy Birthday and that jug is a keeper!!! Did she hand-paint that scene on there? I love unique pottery like that. It's very special <3

Barbie
    - take care of yourself! Did Jake catch it yet? We are sneezing at our house but no sore throat or other symptoms, must be dust/mold from the firewood. Crossing fingers.

Lanette
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    pip ... praying all will be well
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Karen - Happy Birthday!

Pip - Hugs and prayers!

Okie
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Karen UK: Belated best wishes for your birthday. What a lovely gift your daughter made!

Heather: Every photo of your grands makes me warms my heart. That Edie... possible future Girl Guide?

Pip: Hoping Kirby gets excellent care. Sending healing thoughts and a big hug your way.

Katla: ((hugs)) to you and DH. Maybe the first pot of coffee can be laced with something a bit 'festive'.

Got my creative fix by finishing our annual photo calendar using the Walgreen's photo tool. I think it's one of our best. These are kept year after year in lieu of doing a photo album. Also did a photo card for my cat Mars. Yes, this little boy is far more social than his 'pawrents' and he and I will deliver cards to the special friends on his list over the weekend.

Stay well friends. Please take care of yourselves.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    Our Christmas holiday forecast ...

xe1zygj9y1ac.png

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,417 Member
    Options
    🎄