JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was a mess, so I haven't thanked you for such nice compliments you gave me! Thank you for being so wonderful!

@cschmitz110515 @PackerFanInGB
    You made my day when I pictured you sitting up straight after reading my post, that was extra cute :D
    I am trying to work on my posture, I was surprised to learn that good posture affects so many things in the body, including even teeth and bite. Also, I think there is no outfit that can make such an impact on appearance as can good posture.

In the end, yesterday went better then I expected. There were no major problems reported.
    As a beautiful end of the day, my friend delivered a baby! So we celebrated all evening with her family. Although I was running on just one hour of sleep from the night before, I wasn't feeling tired at all. I am not sure if those celebrations with family, while mum and baby are still in the hospital, are a local or global custom, but I really like all the positivity, relief and excitement that goes with it. There is just something very cathartic in welcoming a new human being into the world.
    On the less positive side, it made me question if I want to wait for getting pregnant before I remove my gallstones (which should be, according to what the surgeon has said, this autumn - they do only emergency ones over summer). I am getting impatient, but the rational side of my brain is telling me that it's too risky to go into pregnancy and that few months will pass quickly.
    I am going to use those months to make the best out of it - by setting up healthy and maintainable habits.

• korina75
    korina75 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    JFT 6/16

Stay within calories
    60 minutes exercise
    Drink water
    Limit wine
    Be mindful when eating

Hoping for a low key day. Indulging the last two days wiped out my progress from last week weight loss wise so going to get back to it today.
    Happy Sunday!
  • daneejela
    Options
    nlmackey98 wrote: »
    Thank you so much. There is a lot of truth to what you say. Shame and guilt are tough, and we all have things we aren't proud of.

For me its like I am/was 2 different people. I was always kind and accepting of people, but then it splits between the high energy person with few inhibitions (tons of shame & guilt) and the quiet scientist that attends a conservative Baptist Church. Ideally, I'd like to be somewhere in the middle of those two people, but I'm not. Other than my husband my kids and 2 friends, nobody in the real world knows I'm bipolar, not even my mother. Depression is pretty mainstream and considered very common. BP still has a lot of stigma to it.

For me that means I am always on guard and always trying to act like I think I should. It's exhausting and I can't always hold it together, but I do a good enough job that most people see the me I want them to see. The real me speaks softly and fast. I walk quickly with my head down. The other me has measured speech, slow, deliberate and clear. My stride changes to a longer more assertive step with my head up, making eye contact with passersby. I appear more confident and as if I have my $h!t together. It's kind of like I live in the "mud" and pretend I'm clean. I don't do it because I think I'm perfect or better than others, it's just how I've learned to adapt. I actually choose which flaws I let others see so they don't think I'm pretending to be perfect. It's a carefully orchestrated existence most of the time.

Even when I cry myself to sleep at night, cut my arms or sit in the driveway bawling before I go inside, I can usually put on my calm controlled persona for my kids or for outsiders. All of that being said, I do work very hard to actually be the me I put forward. I just wish I could share a little bit of "me" with people. I wish I could make friends, but I don't really let anyone in. I don't trust people with my secrets, and I'm afraid if I get too close I'll tell someone something "real" and they will be frightened off or disgusted.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to know you better! I do agree, there is still a lot of stigma about BP. Posts like this are very helpful to understand what you are dealing with. And actually, everything you wrote feels very relatable, like being 2 different people. Maybe it's more pronounced with BP, but I think it's our way of finding balance, bouncing between our extremes trying to find that sweet middle spot where everything feels right. My strongest extremes are on the marriage field. I feel that I need to satisfy both this archetypal, traditional woman who fulfills herself through the husband and kids and the completely opposite ambitious, competitive, self-sufficient woman who hates to be restricted in any way. When I make one happy, the other is miserable :)
    I completely understand your carefulness regarding with whom you'll share about BP. I would act the same. While I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of, I think that people should earn your trust before you share with them something you feel vulnerable about, whatever it is, a BP or something else. Also, in a way, I think we all pretend at least a bit that we are a bit better than we actually are and then we try to do our best to actually be that better person. Like some form of "fake it until you make it". And if we are lucky, we have a friend or two in our corner cheering for us and watching our back during the process. I think you are a wonderful woman and learning about BP has made me appreciate you even more, now when I know what challenges you need to overcome daily.
    If there is something we can do (or not do) to help you deal with the BP?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Checking in from Saturday
    1. COFFEE. Pack lunch and log it. Leave for park by 8:50.
    2. Find images for PPT. Work on PPT script during breaks at park. NO EXTRA SNACKS. NO.
    3. Wash hair. Bed.
    4. Sunday AM: Record audio for lit review. SUBMIT PROJECT. Monday is lunch with A; need to set time. Check on audition for MM. Tuesday 4-6 is coloring club. Next Saturday is library day with parents.

JFT Sunday
    1. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Post JFT.
    2. Find images for PPT. Separate script. Record audio. SUBMIT PROJECT.
    3. Email A about lunch. Call dad - Father's Day!
    4. Head to garden by 1:50. Draft discussion post during break.
    5. Therapy exercises at 9:30: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. MEDS. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45; devices off by 10:00. Alarm set for 6:00. Monday is lunch with A. Check on audition for MM. Tuesday 4-6 is coloring club. Meeting 9:15 Friday. Saturday is library day with parents.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    February 2019: 187.0
    Today: 191.6

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Poetry: Revise "Songs are Poetry" handouts.
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays! Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Schedule assessments for Fall 2019; plan out return times. Align assessments with OW units.
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals. NOTE: ATTEND POST FLEX DAY RATHER THAN PRE FLEX DAY. Upload summer project checklist July 1.
    6. Medical: Dentist. Onco. PCP. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for Mamma Mia???
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling and taking items to the dump.
    9. Fun: Open beading on Thursdays. Coloring at library on Tuesday. Put jewelry away.
    10. Volunteering ideas: Theater. Library. Animal shelter.

WFTY: Climbing. Lord, yesterday was hard. 31k+ steps. Someone asked if I wanted a slice of pizza and I said YES. And I ate up every last bit of the food I brought. And then I got home and my wonderful husband had baked a loaf of bread with cranberries and Stilton in it. Fortunately he's doing stuff with his parents today and they took the half of the loaf that was left ;D
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    JFT - Saturday June 15 Determined
    2.5L of water - 👿
    Calories in green, Log Accurately - 🙂
    Walk 1 Mile - probably
    Squats - 25
    5 Fruits and Veggies - 2/5
    Only 1 evening Snack - 🙂
    5 something at bathroom break - 🙂
    Something on commercials - only recorded tv
    Write in Journal - 🙂
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices - 🙂

JFT - Sunday June 16 Determined
    2.5L of water
    Calories in green, Log Accurately
    Walk 1 Mile
    Squats
    5 Fruits and Veggies
    Only 1 evening Snack
    5 something at bathroom break
    Something on commercials
    Write in Journal
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Currently sitting in the Verizon store because my phone battery is messed up. Will keep this quick before phone dies.

Yesterday 6/15:

1. Give Rukia her a.m. pills 😁
    2. Stay within calorie goal😞
    3. Look into traffic course for my ticket, deadline is approaching! Leaving this here until I do so I don't forget!😞
    4. Get a minimum of 6,000 steps😁
    5. Find a cheap healthy dinner 😁
    6. Put away laundry 😞

JFT 6/16:

1. Give Rukia her a.m. pills 😁
    2. Stay under 1500 calories
    3. Look into traffic course for my ticket, deadline is approaching! Leaving this here until I do so I don't forget!
    4. Do workout
    5. Put away laundry
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Today. Has been horrible. Just horrible. Darn kids ruined Fathers day. 👍

Apart from Casey lol! Not much she can do wrong really :lol:
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    1. Water NOW! :)
    2. Work til Atleast 1 - but leave if offered! :) worked all day, thats okay.
    3. Skim pond, add Chen's :)
    4. Scrub back deck/stairs :)
    5. Take down swing chair >:)
    6. Move glider chair >:)
    7. Eat packed lunch :)
    8. Cook dinner at home! :)

JFT Sunday
    1. RELAX
    2. Waters, Now!
    3. Dinner at mom's
    4. Bed by 10
    5. Planters prepped
    6. More water
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    @aubyshortcake - has the seller agreed to knockoff the 5k? That’s a great deal if you can get it for less.

@daneejela - I suffer terribly from aches and downright immobility at times all due to lack of proper posture. I should have listened to my grandmother more when she lectured me about it. If I were you I would wait until after the surgery to get pregnant. Pregnancy comes with so many of its own issues and such at times that you wouldn’t need to have more added to it unnecessarily.

On the marriage point, does your husband expect you to be the traditional wife? I tried that for 7 years into our marriage before I broke down. Caused major problems in our marriage and when I finally talked to my husband he said “did I ask you to do all that”? The answer was no, he hadn’t. My Mom and Grandmother did all of the household chores and I thought to be a good wife I had to do it too. What I hadn’t taken into consideration is that I worked full time and my husband drove long haul so I was trying to be everything all at once. It failed miserably. My husband sent me to an assertiveness training class, he laughs now and says the only one I ever use it on his him so it backfired, but it helped me to say no to things.

@clicketykeys - 31k steps!!! Wow! No wonder you ate.

@AJB1014 - you are under a week now right? How are you feeling? Enjoy it so much take time to rest and just savour it all!

@Bex953172 - Hugs!! They have a way of doing that when it’s a big occasion, I think a lot of it is their own excitement gets the better of them.

I have so much to do, I have to make a couple of cards, work on shower stuff, work on wedding stuff, clean and reorganize the house. I want to get that stuff done this week in case I get the call for the job.

I am going to Kaitlyn’s to spend the night tonight and craft all day tomorrow. It will probably be a late night again and then late getting home tomorrow.

I’m not worrying about getting exercise in right now and am concentrating more on diet. I am getting lots of steps in walking back and forth around my counter getting the Cricut loaded and unloaded and just basically running around and cleaning.

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @snowflake1968 youve mentioned it so many times but WHAT is a cricut lol!
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Sunday 16 June

Again failed to post in the morning, I will try to be better next week!

Log accurately :)
    Stay in the green :)
    5 fruit and veg :)
    Fitbit excercise goals :)
    Jan challenge >:) unlikely but I did not log
    Feb challenge :)
    Mar challenge :)
    Apr challenge :) We have good neighbours and I joined them for a champagne 75th birthday toast ( R's not mine!)
    May ;) missed one as I was distracted
    Jun :)
  • daneejela
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 It's so awesome from you that you always take time to comment and respond and just make us all feel noticed! :)
    Also, I think your kids are so lucky to have you, you are doing so much for the wedding!

"On the marriage point, does your husband expect you to be the traditional wife?"
    Just to give you a bit of background...There are very few women in my field. Since high school, I was always surrounded by men. And most of the times I liked it. But the negative side was that being girly in a default men's context was like showing weakness (It's much different now vs just a decade ago). So, sometimes I felt like I never really lived this girly, womanish side of me, and after a certain age, I didn't really know how to do it. I guess when I met my husband, a caveman, lol, but smart, I kinda felt like now I can finally live that part of me, too.
    So, back to your question - he would answer - absolutely yes, but in reality, it's not really the case. For example, he would say that he expects that I cook most of the time, but in the practice, he is the one who is a better cook and likes to cook and cooks more often. He would define himself as traditional, while I would define myself as modern. But, just the fact that we were strongly driven to each other (while being very honest about who we are) IMO means that neither of us really fits in its box. Although, we did struggle a lot at the beginning and we both needed to adjust our lifestyles, which was not easy at all. We still have things in which we have the opposite opinions and there are things we would both do differently if we weren't together, but overall, I feel like, at the end of the day, we enrich each other.
    Sorry if I have written a too long response :)
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    @bex953172 - a Cricut is a machine that you can cut things with and draw some things as well. A lot of the vinyl shirts you see out and about are done on a Cricut or Silhouette if they are "handmade".
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    @daneejela - That actually makes a lot of sense to me. I worked in a male dominated industry as well, so I know what you mean. Sometimes you forget the softer side of yourself to be able to be unseen as weak. I agree it's changed even in the last decade, maybe we have helped shape it to be better for the girls coming up in just a little tiny bit.

I am loving every minute of doing these things with my girls. We are learning out about each other and spending some quality time together even though we are busily working at the same time. When my girls were younger I loved the car rides because that is where we had a lot of our serious talks. It was easier because I didn't look at them while they talked away about their problems, concerns, serious stuff. This is our adult version of it I think, we craft and talk. Friday night Kaitlyn stayed until after midnight, I played the song I walked down the aisle too and the song for right after the ceremony. She hadn't known those. I just can't describe how much pleasure I am having getting to know my adult daughters. We are quite close, but I think this is bringing out other sides to them, and showing me how much they truly care for each other and their family. OK, she's going to be here and I'm going to get weepy (again), so I should go for now.
  • daneejela
    Options
    I haven't posted goals today because I still feel a bit out of sync with myself because of the lack of sleep last few days. But I'll write few successes instead:
    - ate light lunch and dinner
    - junk food free day
    - low dairy day
    - made progress on testing
    - being in positive mindset about my life in general
    - danced on few songs
    - translated two French songs

@Snowflake1968 that is a nice idea, that we helped shape it for the girls that are starting now :)
    Oh, those talks while working together are the best! Your relationships with your daughters sound wonderful, that's something I am hoping to have one day..
    I love the idea of serious talks in the car...you seam like a very cool mum! Have fun with your girl tomorrow!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
  • korina75
    korina75 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    JFT 6/16

Stay within calories >:)
    60 minutes exercise :|
    Drink water >:)
    Limit wine >:)
    Be mindful when eating >:)

Not great all around health wise. Back at it tomorrow I hope. I have just binged all day. I did exercise for half hour so there’s that. Feeling pretty guilty and awful though.
  • jacqui2494
    jacqui2494 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    @nlmackey98 I found your post really interesting. I haven’t had to deal with your issues and we don’t always know what people go through. Don’t you think it’s interesting that it is easy to tell your innermost thoughts on sites like this but we don’t tell our nearest and dearest. I certainly don’t share my weight issues with family and friends. I don’t see me doing it any time soon.