Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,686 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    suzu_2 wrote: »
    Karen in Virginia - I'm in the middle of Medicare research, and retirement planning as well. I've (unfortunately) spent more time with financial advisers in the last 2 weeks than I have in the last 20 years combined. I say unfortunately because I have always been a saver, but very conservative since my husband was self employed and I have been the one that had to worry about tucking assets away so we could enjoy retirement. I am grateful that I saved what I saved, but wish I had been able to balance risk/reward less conservatively.
    I've been with the same employer since 1976 and they will allow my husband and me to remain with their insurance plan in retirement - just waiting to find out the cost and trying to determine if this is the best course of action for us.

It's comforting to know someone else is going through this process at the same time I am.

Karen in Virginia
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Evelyn on Vancouver Is. - I'm glad to hear you're recovering from flu. Some exercise is key, of course. I tend to fall into the trap of "Oh, I couldn't eat much while I was sick, so I have a little lieu on what/how much I can eat now!" Nuh-uh!

Rori - That soup sounds good. This is soup weather for sure!

Pip - I DO get a kick (a KICK! Get it? Arrr-arrrr-arrrr!) out of the photos of you, Kirby, and the doggies. Hope you're completely recovered!

Oh Dana! The absolute UGLINESS that deaths bring out in folks is awful! I have almost nothing now that my home is in disrepair, and yet I know that and the disposal of my belongings is going to bring dissension. I'm sorry your mind is revisiting this today. 😔

Hi there, Azcat59! Can I call you "59" for short? Just kidding. Let us know what you prefer to be called, please. I have a fondness for Vanilla Coke Zero, however I had gastric bypass surgery in January, and other than a few sips of an ice-cold one now and then (like once every week or two) I don't indulge. Your dedication shows if you've done that many bowflex sessions. Keep logging your food. I try to pre-lig my meals to get as close as I can to my dietician's recommendations. It really helps. I wish I did better with glyids, since those are important too. I'm 75, and a tax preparer now, although I'm a retired Teamster as well. I live with 2 cats and love being near the mountains and Seattle.

Janette, yup! Just like that. Bummer.

Heathee, you must be an excellent author. I can see those women as you speak. Elegantly turned out no matter the means, and gesturing with lit cigarette in hand, for the most part slim to stick thin. Their lives are about their bodies,I'm imagining. Those ladies are probably very different from what you see, but I'm free to make your words over into my images.

Barbara AHMOD, I know Seattle has an immense homeless problem, but I'm hearing that it is up and down the entire west coast including CA as well. However most major cities are having trouble across the country. When we failed after shuttering the asylums to provide, as was planned, halfway houses and outpatient treatment faciluties, we set ourselves up for this. I'm saddened especially to see women like me at that age, with children, and no place to go. The Domestic Violence shelters here often have waiting lists. Women are frequently referred to shelters 100 miles away. In the case of my elder daughters, it's worked out well. They found the rural atmosphere to their liking. Both have managed to get degrees in their fields and good jobs in the community. They've been fortunate. Others who were sent there lost their entire support system in the move and survived on food stamps, public assistance and pitiful little jobs that never paid enough to get out of the system. Life is harder now for the masses than I have seen it previously. I worry for my grandkids who are taking root as adults. It's not stacked in their favor.

Sharon, Who Would Like To Be Reminded How To Do The Shutter Thing So You Won't Be Subjected To Lengthy Tirades, (gasp! Air break!), Near Seattle.

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    My family --

My mom is an only child, so no cousins on that side, although when I was a kid, we were close to her cousins and their children, whom I considered cousins (even called her cousin and her cousin's husband "Aunt and Uncle,") but my mom had a falling out with them when my grandmother died, and things have been tense. My dad had two brothers, one of whom didn't have any children, and both of whom are 15-17 years older than he is. So while I had three true cousins (one died about 15 years ago), I didn't know them very well. One of my cousins and his father, my surviving uncle, did come to my sister's funeral, which really meant a lot to us. I hadn't seen my uncle since my wedding to my first husband more than 30 years ago, and my cousin in about 20 years, since I just randomly stopped by his house to see my dad's childhood home (they live in my grandparent's house).

I had only one sister who has two children, one of whom was adopted to someone else because my sister was only 15 at the time, and it was back in the day when there was "bad girl" night school, and you just didn't keep the baby. My sister died about 16 months ago, and while I know both of my nieces, I am not particularly close to either one of them, even the one I've known since she was born, because she had an affair with my ex husband. :grimace: She has a daughter (not by my ex husband, thank goodness), and my other niece has three children and a granddaughter (yes, my mother is a great-great grandmother, at 77 -- that's what multiple teen pregnancies does for you!), but I'm not close at all to the adopted niece, and while my other niece and I are friendly, for my mother's sake, I can honestly say that after my mom dies, I won't bother trying to keep track of her. My grandparents have all long since passed, and my dad died a little over 10 years ago, so, for those keeping track:

One mother
    One niece
    One great-niece

So, after my mom passes, my total functional family will be:

zero

I wish I had siblings, and I was very close to my ex-husband's siblings, and am still friends with three of them, but the divorce does make it a little awkward. As someone else said, while I still consider them "family," we are really more just friends now than family.

My husband's family prospects aren't much better, although he does have a surviving brother, whom he does not speak to, and a surviving cousin, who visited us for an overnight a few months ago after not seeing my husband for over 20 years. Neither of them have children.

My husband has five children and five grandchildren, from his previous marriage, and we are varying degrees of closeness with all five -- from not at all, to text or phone call occasionally and visit once in a while.

Stresses me out a little, just typing all of this up. Because while I don't like drama, I do covet close sibling / cousin relationships and miss not having them.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Our evening went very well. The Thai meal was tasty, DH enjoyed it, and we chose carefully so we had light starters, veggies and salad.
    The Cuban night at the pub was enormous fun. Great music and good beer. We started talking to a young couple sitting next to us. She was from The Dominican Republic. He was an English architect. I'm always surprised at how friendly people are in Brighton and Hove. Plus there doesn't seem to be much of an age barrier. People mix more of different ages.
    Then we went home on the free bus. The pub was free too. B)

Starting a new cleaner tomorrow. A trial two hours to see how she gets on. My son will be here using the elliptical. He may not be doing the marathon as his Achilles is still playing up and it is only a month away. But I will be running the Parkrun with him on Saturday. Sad that he may have to miss the marathon and his club training run on on Sunday, but it can't be helped.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    :heart: :
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :) Unlike many of you, I have no interest in DNA testing or finding out about my ancestry. As Popeye said "I yam what I yam".

:) We went out to lunch today with friends who thrive on drama and listened to all their stories for as long as we could stand it. We like them for many reasons, but the drama can be draining. One of their dramas was about fighting over her father's estate which turned out to be largely fueled by her.

:) What helped me with Medicare insurance research was realizing that it was all about the unknown and no matter what I knew about my health at the moment, I couldn't guarantee that it would stay the same. Paying a lot each month for insurance was frustrating when I went to the doctor only once all year and it was very comforting when I had a surgery that cost in the mid five figures. It's like all the years I've paid for auto and homeowners insurance and only once had to have something paid for.

:) It's back to rain here this afternoon and temperatures promise to stay above freezing. It could be spring before long.

<3 Barbie from NW WA

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Ha! I did do the DNA testing.

cb0xqbhxw9u5.png

I am not just white. I am overwhelmingly British isles! Lol I've been working on my geneaology, just for fun, and not only am I primarily British isles, but with the exception of my dad's mother, nearly everyone came to the US before it was a US. My dad's mother is a german, who emigrated from Russia before the revolution. So yep. More Northern European! Lol

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I am mildly curious to know if the family story of some Cherokee is true, but too cheap to actually pay to find out.

I wouldn’t be surprised if my ancestors were part of the original debtor’s colony of Georgia, but I don’t know how I’d know for sure and don’t really care.

My family has its good people, it’s share (well, maybe more than it’s share) of dysfunction, and it’s share of jerks. For the most part we get along. My husband has no relatives in Georgia, so it’s easy to keep free of family drama on his side. Mine provides enough for both of us, thank you very much.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Felicia: I’m interested about the genetic testing. What did you do to get the testing? Was it expensive or difficult?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,686 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 8.45min, 10.8amph, 134mhr, 1.5mi= 86c
    ELIPTICAL- 30min, 138ahr, 143mhr, 2ncl, 10esist, 3.28mi= 283c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.54min, 127mhr, 15amph, 1.4mi= 63c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.13min, 10.25min mi, 146mhr, .5mi= 69c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 10.48min mi, 5.31min, 153mhr, round to other side and back,.4mi=128c
    bike ride dome 2 hm-21.26min, 7.3amph, 153mhr, 2.6= 232c

total cal 861
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,152 Member
    Options
    I'm down 1.9 kg from 2 weeks ago. :)

However, I may go up a little bit this weekend. :smiley: I'm just hoping I can exercise enough to maintain a balance.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,152 Member
    Options
    Happy International Women's Day!

https://www.internationalwomensday.com/

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did Karen Voit’s Strength on the ball DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Kathy Smith’s Step Workout.

Tracey – when Denise was quite young, we were in FL visiting my in-laws. One of their neighbors had been married 4 or 5 times. Denise asked totally innocently “what do you do with all those rings?”

M – happy birthday!

About family – both Vince and I are only children. I used to be very close to my family, and Vince to his, but not so much anymore.

Lisa – sounds like you’re a lot like me. Honestly, many times I don’t follow the doc’s advice. Vince follows it to the letter. But I go with more like what my body will let me do. Like when I broke the bone in my foot. The doc told me to stay off it. Like that happened! If Vince EVER knew how many times I got up and walked to the bathroom, he’d have had a fit. He wanted me to sit in the chair with my leg propped up. Well, that did happen….for about 3 minutes. When I had a hemmerhoidectomy, they gave me these pain pills. I never took one. Vince kept asking me over and over “did you take something” to the point where I thought “maybe I’m hurting myself by not taking these pain pills” so I called the doc’s office. They told me “if you don’t need them, don’t take them. They will only make you constipated”

Another laugh about Newcomers. Greg said he wants members to update their own information. Like that’s going to happen. Adra responded how wonderful that would be. I just smile to myself because I know that it’s never going to happen. I did email them saying how we’ve had that ability since day one. I’d tell people they can update their own information but I got so much resistance that I finally just did it myself because I knew that was what was going to happen in the end. Greg said he wants to have a training session on how to update your information. If he has it now and a member needs to update their information in a year, does he REALLY think people are going to remember? It’s much easier to just ask me to update the information rather than going thru hoops to do it. We have too many members who are older and not computer literate. They aren’t going to become computer literate. Well, he’s going to do what he wants to do, regardless of what I say has happened in the past. If it hasn’t happened in the past, I have no reason to believe it’ll happen now. <smile>

Barbie – fondant is rolled out for cakes, kind of like a clay but edible. You can shape it. You many times see it on wedding cakes. Heather uses it a lot for her cakes

It seems to be so much easier to log foods on nutritionix and so much more accurate. This morning the Wii said I’d lost 2lbs.

Went to a “training” for lay ministers at my church. Not that I learned much. However, it does seem that the ushers have a lot to do. We have to find someone to work with us, have to find someone to take the gifts down, now we are to sort the collection money after handing out the bulletins. That means that we’ll have to be there even longer. It’s not a wonder at all that people don’t want to do it. To me, all lectors (except those in the choir) should have to also be ushers. Perhaps the altar servers could sort the money while the ushers are handing out the bulletins. But what do I know????

Oh well….

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    B)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,623 Member
    Options
    <3
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    2dnh0zxjkd4r.jpg
    This is not Suki, but its another cat page I follow. This is Marmalade.💗
    💗Rebecca
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi all. Up early.
    This is the venue we went to last night. Not a good photo. The singer is standing in front of the drummer, but you can get an idea of the place. It's called 'Paris House'. It got more crowded later.
    On the wall at the back are loads of photos of old French film stars. If you look carefully you can see me in the mirror taking the picture. :D:p

yty3kpi3kmej.jpg

qbp2gkajg4vp.jpg

Love Heather UK XXXXXX