WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2019

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Machka, why not indeed? Happy birthdays off to you!
    Lisa I'd no idea the volunteers had to buy the cookies first. So you come by disturbing the peace honestly, eh?
    Karen in VA (((hugs))) If I'd been lost driving my sick mum at night on the wrong side of the road, there would have been yelling and nausea as well as tears. One or the other of us would have tried to get out of the car and leave. You did well.
    Holly "to care enough to do it" that is the key. At some point we have to follow Barbie's advice and choose what we want most instead of what we want now.
    Heather ran 5K while it was blowing a gale? You are indomitable!
    pip so sad to hear of the violence of your early years. So damnglad it's not in your life now.
    Yvonne, thanks for the Quaker Oats story!
    Janet a very happy 1200 days logging into MFP. What an anniversary!
    Sharon "When we failed after shuttering the asylums to provide, as was planned, halfway houses and outpatient treatment faciluties, we set ourselves up for this" true that. I remember it well as Mama worked in the Calif State Hospital system. She arranged many entertainments for the patients that included kids from town singing or putting on plays. My heart breaks at thinking of many of those dear people on the street, in the cold, confused and hurting. Ditto about the women with children fleeing their abusers.
    To do the "shutter thing" highlight the text you want to conceal, click the paragraph dropdown arrow mark above the posting window, select Spoiler. Bingo!
    Felicia "...zero..." the only good thing is it lets you choose your family from friends you care about and who care about you. We all need good family connections, sometimes we have to exclude bad family and make create good ones.
    Barbie "...but the drama can be draining." You said it, sister!
    Michelle "wii said I'd lost 2 lbs" Woo HOO! You go gal!!!

Fondant as cake covering was new to me within the last 5 years, and I'd still not know had it not been for the Duff the Baltimore cakemaster on TV. I just turned 69 so you do the math. Before that, fondant to me was the white, sweet, fluffy or chewy center of some very yummy chocolates.

Too tired to tell family stories tonight, but much like Beth's. Beth, I'll be very interested in which DNA testing service you choose and what you learn.

Sorry, I forget who, but someone recently had a laser procedure to relieve pressure in the eye? Joe will have such next Thursday as the drops have not worked on his glaucoma. Was wondering, does it hurt? He's resisting having me drive him there and back, but I'm insisting... ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 5/31, 60 g protein 7/31, rx/vits 7/31, meditate 6/31, knee exercises 6/31, SWSY 1/8, play with Tumble 6/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 7/31.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    03/06 LT: SWSY-N MT: get slow leaking tire repaired-Y ST: Call loan co-ordinator for email forms-Y
    03/07 LT: SWSY dadgummit!-Y!!! MT: propane site review-Y, ST: Call County about needed mobile home forms for loan (title release and???)-Y
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Felicia: I’m interested about the genetic testing. What did you do to get the testing? Was it expensive or difficult?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

We did it through ancestry. I think it was about 50 dollars? My husband got it for my birthday. I just spit in a tube and mailed it in. I had results in about 6 weeks.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~ well I have been up since 1:30 am, and said the heck with it and got up. so I have had my tea, watched Joyce. fed the dog will hop in the shower and do a load of laundry. all before work..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday, like Allie I'm up early! I don't mind so much, I like the quiet time to think my thoughts and write a few things down. Journaling has become a positive habit in my life.

I'm looking forward to getting some important things finished today and a relaxing weekend. Stay well friends.

NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,120 Member
    Options
    Proud to be one of the many female cyclists!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Fondant as cake covering was new to me within the last 5 years, and I'd still not know had it not been for the Duff the Baltimore cakemaster on TV. I just turned 69 so you do the math. Before that, fondant to me was the white, sweet, fluffy or chewy center of some very yummy chocolates.

Yes! For me as well! :)

And the first time I ate fondant as a cake covering was just last year at the end of my 10K race. A coworkers is part of a running club and invited me over for cake with his wife and club members. The cake had fondant "icing". I didn't particularly like it. It was OK but not something I'd go out of my way for.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    I am really missing running. Never thought I'd say that, but I miss going for a quick 20-30 minute run in an evening or at lunch.

It was a great way to burn a few extra calories and to burn off some of the "negative energy" of the day.

Hopefully I'll be able to use my new rowing machine whenever it comes.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    My condolences Kelly never easy...
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Kelly ... so very sorry ... will keep you, Tim and the family in my prayers
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Machka ... I don't like the taste of fondant either (neither do most bakers I know). It's mostly used to give a really smooth finish to cakes. Give me a light and fluffy buttercream and I'm happy!
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    KJ/Kelly - so sorry! :'( I know it's been a rough time for Tim already, and for you. Thinking of you and Tim and the extended family.

Lisa
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Kelly - So sorry for your loss. Hugs and prayers.

Machka - Happy Birthday weekend!

As for fondant, I’ve never eaten it. Normally people I know push it aside and just eat the buttercream under it.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Kelly prayers for your family.

Machka Happy Birthday :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :'(<3Kelly, so sorry for your loss

:)Machka, Happy Birthday Weekend

:) I got up early to the sound of Bessie throwing up. After I cleaned that, I got dressed and took the dogs for their before breakfast walk. There was a light dusting of snow last night so the ground looked like very heavy frost. My walking friend is out of town so the dogs and I can leave early after breakfast and enjoy the next to last morning of early daylight before DST changes everything and our mornings are dark again for another month.

<3 Barbie from chilly NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    The fondant you buy in a packet is not particularly nice, but looks good. I'm told that home made fondant, if you can be bothered, is much nicer! I've never tried it, but I've seen people making it on Bake Off. I have always used the ready made version and the extra strong modelling version for making decorations. I don't make cakes much at all these days. I gave away all my decorating stuff to Freecycle.

My new cleaner is here and finding it all very confusing. We have to get used to each other's funny little ways. She is an older woman!!! 60! Nine years younger than me, but seems like my granny!
    My son is here on the elliptical. :D

Trying to get my cancer friend to tell me her least worst days to see me. She has so many visitors at the hospice. People are coming from all over Europe. She is feeling ok right now. I feel a bit frustrated as everyone seems to get a visit except me, but of course many live nearby so can just pop in on the off chance. I just don't want to clash with a party of people who have come a long way.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Kelly so sorry for your loss. Sending strength and peace.

NYKAREN
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Kelly, so sorry to read of your loss. Praying for you and the family and sending you lots of BIG hugs.

Janetr OKC