• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    (((Beth))) Hugs for your son too!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Lots of rain and we have major flooding going on. 2 inches in my basement and my sump pump broke. More rain coming. sigh. My exercise will be cleaning the basement of all the ruined stuff and then trying to get the water out and bleaching. Our rivers are over the banks in many areas in Iowa, Nebraska and Sioux Falls. Living on top of the hill didn't help us. after a 12 shift this is not the news I wanted to come home to.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    KJKelly, I'm sorry to hear about Tim's mom. I hope things don't become too stressful.

Machka, happy VERY belated birthday!

I loved your cycling film. Young women of my generation in the Midwest usually have up cycling about the time they began dating seriously - about 15-16. Not me. My parents didn't like the young man I was seeing, so I'd hop on my bicycle with a friend along, then leave her to ride the 14 miles to his parents' place. It ended, sadly, when I left for college. Mom made sure I went away to school. I did love my 3-speed, though. It was a Raleigh, which was a pretty good bicycle back then.

Heather UK, I know you're trying to be considerate, but isn't it possible your friend would prefer to see you than some cousins who came a greater distance? How about saying "I can come up on the 20th. Will that work for you?"

Ketone Karen, thanks for the reply regarding Saxenda! Saves me a research workout.

All I can do for today. Supposed to be a day off, but I had to go to work anyway! I left My Precious (this iPhone!) there last night. I looked all over the house and car before getting out the "Find My iPhone" app. And of course it said it was 14 miles as the crow flies away! That's a long slow 45 minute drive of about 20 miles. No shortcut.

I must cut this short. My eldest grandson is coming down in the morning for ComiCon in Seattle this weekend. He's staying with me until Sunday, but will commute back and forth. He doesn't drive, since he's very ADD, even with meds.

Sharon, who's now snowed under (with tax work) rather than snowed in, Near Seattle
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,813 Member
    Options
    woke up at 3 couldnt go back to sleep, so here I am.. my stomach still in knots
    I am having my cup of tea, and then will watch Joyce and look through the classified ads on indeed.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Allie - Our old private practice at our last house was great and reasonably priced, but then sold out to a chain. The prices went up astronomically. We argued with them and told them they were sharks and should be ashamed if themselves and were not serving the community. We left them and found an NHS dentist (subsidised) at a nearby city. Your prices have to fit the neighbourhood. NYC prices in a small town don't work.
    Good luck with finding a better job with some caring people. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    Walking To Date
    2019 - 213.91 km
    2018 - 328.5 km
    2017 - 312.75 km
    2016 - 195.05 km
    2015 - 181.36 km

Starting to pick up the pace a bit with the walking ... back at uni!

BTW 213.91 km is about 280,721.78 steps. Not too bad for someone who has a back & hip injury ... and who had the flu recently.
    http://www.kylesconverter.com/length/kilometers-to-steps

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla My grandson and I were brainstorming in a devil's-advocate-kind-of-way in preparation for his writing assignment. He wants to write a persuasive letter to the editor in favor of windmills. I asked him to give me 10 "cons", and he included "they kill bats" (I didn't know). The next step will be to determine which of the "cons" is valid for a windmill farm 27 miles off shore. I find it interesting that several of the women in this group have windmill farms nearby!

Machka Your husband got his driver's license back? That's major! How great! Glad for both of you. :)

Karen in Virginia

You could look up wind farms in Tasmania too ... we've got a few. It can get pretty breezy along parts of the coast.

And he should get the licence back in about 10 days, I hope.

M in the southern-most state of Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I had a call yesterday from a recruiter for a job I had applied for a few weeks ago. She told me that job had been filled but she had another client that she thought I would be a good fit for. I have an interview on Friday. I am praying to find the right words and confidence that will help me get this. The pay, hours, location and duties sound like something I would like. This is my first interview after 150+ resumes being sent out since December. Yesterday there were not even any postings to apply on.

I should go and do something, I feel I have done nothing all week!
    Tracey in Edmonton

All the best!!

One idea (which you may have tried all ready) ... have you applied with employment services? When I lived in RD (south of you) I worked for two different employment services. Most of the time I worked for one that got me into a place in Joffred doing document control. That was excellent. For a short period of time, I worked for the other which put me into a reception position in an architectural firm which was really interesting. I learned a lot.

M ... now in Oz, but then in AB

Great advice Machka!. Tracey, I completely forgot about temping (what we call it here). I temped many summers during college, I met my DH at my first temp assignment. It was a one week project, they liked me and kept me all summer, moving me to cover for whoever was on vacation or needed help. They offered me a permanent position, but I had college to finish.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • okiewoman510
    Options
    Beth - I am so sorry. How traumatic for both you and your son! Hugs!!

Megamom - I’m so sorry to hear you’re taking on water. Best wishes that you don’t lose too many treasures from the flooding.

Allie - Good luck finding something new.

We drive through a wind farm going back to OK. We typically only drive through during the day. We drove home last month at night and it took us a few minutes to figure out what the lights we were seeing were.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,725 Member
    Options
    =====
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    B)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    Need to catch up again, but wanted to pop in. Yes, I changed sheets on bed, vacuumed and shampooed carpets, moved a China cabinet out of home, put things in attic and cooked breakfast all in heels and a dress. I know I am crazy! But I felt pretty and in charge all day! :) My husband doesn't get it, but he appreciates it. I have a closet full of lovely dresses and rarely any get worn. I pretty much only pack dresses for vacations and wear them to car shows. Often they are paired with tennis shoes, but still pretty dresses.

Trying to get my act together! Just back to feeling 7 steps behind. Today is a new day!

Welcome!
    Congratulations!
    Hugs!

Stay strong lovely ladies! And let your inner goddess out in the best way for you!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio where it is raining but warm!

• Machka9
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Dana ... great photos! I'm so jealous of your Dogwood in blossom. We're expected to get more snow. :s

Both my son and the young woman who overdosed currently live self-directed/independent lives. They hire their own care aides and direct them. While my son is physically incapable of administering his own medications, this young woman has better fine motor skills and managed her own medications. My son is currently in the process of changing over to a "certified" type of living arrangement ... one where there is state oversight and responsibility. While he is capable of managing his own life, he needs the structure and accountability provided in a certified setting ... especially as his Dad and I are aging. The young woman rejected offers to move over with him because she didn't want to give up any autonomy ... even though she has minimal support mechanisms. I have not yet heard how she is doing today, but I'm guessing her life has changed drastically as a result of her actions yesterday ...

I'm sorry to hear what happened ... and I know that the world of care and carers and autonomy is complicated.
  • okiewoman510
    Options
    Kylia - I wear dresses most of the time in Summer/Spring/Fall (in winter I'm too cold to wear dresses). A girlfriend finally figured out I prefer dresses because pants were always too short (high waters) growing up so I wore dresses. I never made that connection until she said something a couple of years ago. Normally they are paired with sandals or flip flops, but sometimes cute tennies. Heels are reserved for weddings in my life (or formal events, of which I have none).

• Machka9
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Sort of funny in a weird way ... whenever I see the name of my husband's back-to-work coordinator on an email or wherever, I go into a hot flash!

It's stress.

One good thing, I suppose, my stress level is heading up to the point where my appetite starts to disappear.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Kylia - I wear dresses most of the time in Summer/Spring/Fall (in winter I'm too cold to wear dresses). A girlfriend finally figured out I prefer dresses because pants were always too short (high waters) growing up so I wore dresses. I never made that connection until she said something a couple of years ago. Normally they are paired with sandals or flip flops, but sometimes cute tennies. Heels are reserved for weddings in my life (or formal events, of which I have none).

I wear skirts much of the time ... year round. I just find them more comfortable. I wear them with leggings of some sort ... shorts in the summer, 3/4 on slightly cooler days, and full-length in the winter. In warmer weather, I go with sandals ... in cooler weather, it's boots.

I'll wear pants on days when I've got to walk to/from the university, and it's windy. It's a long enough walk that I don't want to deal with my skirt up around my ears. This semester, I have to walk there 2 days a week, and so I went out and bought a couple pair of capris and a couple pair of pants. I do have some, but I've put on a bit of weight what with this past year's situation, and they aren't comfortable. Pants aren't comfortable at the best of times, but the few I've got have moved into "really uncomfortable" so the ones I got are stretchier which I hope will work as I lose the weight again.

Aside from pants being uncomfortable, I also find them too short. I'm not tall, but for some reason manufacturers make the leg lengths so short almost all the time. I get really excited if I happen to find a pair of pants with a decent leg length. If they more or less fit me otherwise and are nearly long enough, I might wear them with boots.

Machka in Oz